Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So What's the Second New GM Car Being Developed, Is it the real C8?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 06:09 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

Default So What's the Second New GM Car Being Developed, Is it the real C8?

There's been a lot of discussion, deservedly so, about the new mid-engine Corvette. But what about the new car that's being developed right on the heels of the new ME Corvette? The information brought to light in the CSP legal document that forum member elegant posted discloses a new GM car to be launched in 2019 (obviously the ME) to be sold along with the C7. Two years later the C7 is retired and the space at the CSP plant will be used for a "second new line" according to the document. So the question is, What is the second, new car? Is the second car the true C8, a front engine Corvette? Is it a new Cadillac halo car take off of the ME Corvette? How about a Corvette SUV?
I've included the excerpt from the CSP disclosure below.
"CSP could be awarded “two significant product lines” that would launch in 2019, Reid said. The first line would be body panels for the new generation of Corvettes. The body panels now being made in Huntington are for the current C7 Corvette; Reid says the plant is working to win the right to manufacture body panels for the eighth generation of the sports car.

The current model would continue to be manufactured for two years after production of the new model begins, Reid said, necessitating the addition of 110,000 to 130,000 square feet to the current 165,000 square feet of manufacturing space.
“We want to expand the facility so we can make both at the same time,” he said.
Once production of the C7 body panels ends, he said, that space would be used for the second new line — a line Reid said is still secret, but would be a new introduction to the market. The entire project would increase CSP's work force from 323 to about 480, he said. The jobs pay in the range of $15 to $16 an hour, he said."

So what do you think?

Last edited by roadbike56; 05-26-2018 at 06:10 PM.
Old 05-26-2018, 06:46 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

CSP does work for more than GM, so the additional line could be composite panels for any brand. Or it could be panels for a 2022+ Cadillac, all-electric ME (though that would be a very limited production model — say 2,000 units per year), or another GM product.

If you believe the latest flurry of news that the Viper is coming back in 2021 (which I do not), it could be panels for the Viper, but as CSP’s Reid made this announcement in 2016 when the Viper was already circling the grave, I highly doubt that. IMO, there are many current reasons why the Viper is forever extinct, and not even DNA cloning could nor will bring it back.

One other SWAG, there are also rumors that there will be 2022, a C7.5 FE Corvette replacement — which would be a refreshed C7 with new body panels, with the 500 HP LT1 that is first going into the 2020 ME, and some similar interior refreshings. Not buying that at this time — for GM will first gauge ME sales before approving the final business case for a replacement FE Corvette.

However, full disclosure, I am just speculating with the above ideas. Anyone?

Last edited by elegant; 05-26-2018 at 06:47 PM.
Old 05-26-2018, 07:55 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Obviously, this is just conjecture on my part, but I don't see GM building a Cadillac two seater at this time. Cadillac sales have been plummeting, and they just announced they are discontinuing the ATS. I can't see them taking on a low volume two seat car that is likely to lose money. They need to focus on building up the SUV and CUV offerings, and fast if the Cadillac division is going to survive.

Last edited by Michael A; 05-26-2018 at 07:56 PM.
Old 05-26-2018, 08:10 PM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by elegant
CSP does work for more than GM, so the additional line could be composite panels for any brand. Or it could be panels for a 2022+ Cadillac, all-electric ME (though that would be a very limited production model — say 2,000 units per year), or another GM product.

If you believe the latest flurry of news that the Viper is coming back in 2021 (which I do not), it could be panels for the Viper, but as CSP’s Reid made this announcement in 2016 when the Viper was already circling the grave, I highly doubt that. IMO, there are many current reasons why the Viper is forever extinct, and not even DNA cloning could nor will bring it back.

One other SWAG, there are also rumors that there will be 2022, a C7.5 FE Corvette replacement — which would be a refreshed C7 with new body panels, with the 500 HP LT1 that is first going into the 2020 ME, and some similar interior refreshings. Not buying that at this time — for GM will first gauge ME sales before approving the final business case for a replacement FE Corvette.

Back on 09/16/2016 I made a post #187 to the below CF thread trying to rationalize why the effort developing the new C7 frame. Just to save weight didn’t convince me, now it is becoming increasingly clear. Personally, I now think they have always been committed to producing both an FE and ME simultaneously but unsure if it is a refresh of a C7 (C7.5?), a new FE C8 either along with the obvious developing ME. Otherwise, why the the C7 frame adaptability to both concepts.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1593068512
The following users liked this post:
skank (05-29-2018)
Old 05-26-2018, 08:48 PM
elegant
Safety Car

I totally agree that Cadillac has much more important, CUV/SUV product holes to fill at this time.

And why I suggested the earliest for a Caddy ME would be 2022. As GM has announced that it is moving forcefully into more all electric vehicles, that would be a good fit for a limited production Cadillac ME version.
Old 05-28-2018, 03:58 PM
C5Driver
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 93 Posts

I hope the Viper comes back with vengeance. I hope the price point hits squarely at Corvette. GM needs the competition in this segment. It also might be a less expensive ME C8 V6 replacement built off of the TOL Halo C8 in 2020.

Last edited by C5Driver; 05-28-2018 at 04:03 PM.
Old 05-28-2018, 05:19 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Driver
I hope the Viper comes back with vengeance. I hope the price point hits squarely at Corvette.
If it does, it wouldn't be a "Viper."
During 60+ years of Corvette success, neither Ford nor Chrysler has tried to compete...not once.
Why?
I dunno.
Maybe they're too involved with their Muscle Cars to care....
Old 05-28-2018, 07:14 PM
acrace
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 153 Posts

The plant expansion is for the CarbonPro pickup bed for the new GMC Sierra.

CSP also picked up new business for the Raptor version of the upcoming Ford Ranger.

Since the Ranger Raptor parts will be SMC and relatively low volume, there is probably little or no new facility capex needed. But the CarbonPro material is thermoplastic based and thus will require equipment investment as the material needs to be preheated prior to molding, which is not the case w.r.t. SMC (thermoset resin).

Last edited by acrace; 05-28-2018 at 07:56 PM.
Old 05-28-2018, 07:40 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

I've said all along I don't believe the mid engine car is really a C8, I believe it is a separate stand alone model of some sort. The reason GM sells 35,000 Corvettes a year has a lot to do with cost and practicality. I don't think a mid engine car will qualify on either.
The following 3 users liked this post by jschindler:
JustinStrife (05-30-2018), Mike Campbell (06-11-2018), roadbike56 (05-29-2018)
Old 05-28-2018, 08:05 PM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 207 Posts

However, full disclosure, I am just speculating with the above ideas.
Anyone?
John, what do you think about a new 4-door FE coupe - similar to the Mercedes CLS, the AMG GT 4-door, the BMW 6-Series Gran Coupe and the Audi A7 ? That would be an interesting twist and would allow GM to share the drivetrain on two markedly different applications - both branded "Corvette". This seems to be the one growing market for sedans, so a Corvette 4-Door Coupe may be the best way for GM to hang onto some of this business.
Old 05-28-2018, 08:40 PM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,157 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
I've said all along I don't believe the mid engine car is really a C8, I believe it is a separate stand alone model of some sort. The reason GM sells 35,000 Corvettes a year has a lot to do with cost and practicality. I don't think a mid engine car will qualify on either.
I agree,
They obviously got the cost and practicality issues
solved.
It makes no difference where the engine is placed,
their volumes have to remain at 35k ,the performance even better ,and their price point similar.

And we end up with a fantastic deal.
jschindler (05-29-2018)
Old 05-29-2018, 12:00 AM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

The sentimental side of me hopes you are correct. I'd like to see Corvette compete with the P car using two platforms.
But another part of me thinks there's another possibility. A previous post suggests a 4 door Corvette (sedan). I don't think that will happen based on the poor sales performance that Porsche is experiencing. However, a Corvette SUV or CUV has been kicked around on the forums. Form a purely selfish standpoint, I'd love to see Corvette come out with a high performance SUV/CUV.
jschindler (05-29-2018)
Old 05-29-2018, 04:10 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Yep, I'm sticking with the thought that the mid engine car is going be a separate model, whether it's going to be an ultra performance variety or just a different car that can utilize some of the stuff they say doesn't fit in the FE car, we'll have to see. But I think the actual 8th generation car is going to be traditional a chassis design.
The following 4 users liked this post by lt4obsesses:
91ZR1 (05-29-2018), jschindler (05-29-2018), JustinStrife (05-30-2018), skank (05-29-2018)
Old 05-29-2018, 09:37 AM
tbasco 6
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
Yep, I'm sticking with the thought that the mid engine car is going be a separate model, whether it's going to be an ultra performance variety or just a different car that can utilize some of the stuff they say doesn't fit in the FE car, we'll have to see. But I think the actual 8th generation car is going to be traditional a chassis design.
Old 05-29-2018, 09:52 AM
Quinten33
Burning Brakes

Received 536 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by roadbike56
The sentimental side of me hopes you are correct. I'd like to see Corvette compete with the P car using two platforms.
But another part of me thinks there's another possibility. A previous post suggests a 4 door Corvette (sedan). I don't think that will happen based on the poor sales performance that Porsche is experiencing. However, a Corvette SUV or CUV has been kicked around on the forums. Form a purely selfish standpoint, I'd love to see Corvette come out with a high performance SUV/CUV.
Just as McLaren said about their own cars, a Corvette SUV wouldn't be a a Corvette. The center of gravity is too high, its too heavy, Its too big, too slow, etc. Any high-performance(if you can call them that) SUVs should be made by Chevy and Cadillac, not under the Corvette brand. GM Will be selling 20 Different SUVs in the U.S. by 2020, including 6 from Chevrolet. No more SUVs are needed.

A Corvette Sedan would be more likely, as it would handle and drive more like a front-engine Corvette than an SUV and it would be able to look great. However, I doubt that either a Sedan or SUV will be made under the Corvette name.

Right now, it seems that there will be a mid-engine layout and front-engine layout for the C8, each sharing engines(not transmissions, as the FE could receive the 10-speed. ZERV said that it was under testing for transaxle configuration.), performance parts/options, and interiors. The customer would simply have the choice of Grand Tourer or Exotic/Sports car, and the benefits of each.
Old 05-29-2018, 10:04 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Quinten33
Just as McLaren said about their own cars, a Corvette SUV wouldn't be a a Corvette. The center of gravity is too high, its too heavy, Its too big, too slow, etc. Any high-performance(if you can call them that) SUVs should be made by Chevy and Cadillac, not under the Corvette brand. GM Will be selling 20 Different SUVs in the U.S. by 2020, including 6 from Chevrolet. No more SUVs are needed.

A Corvette Sedan would be more likely, as it would handle and drive more like a front-engine Corvette than an SUV and it would be able to look great. However, I doubt that either a Sedan or SUV will be made under the Corvette name.

Right now, it seems that there will be a mid-engine layout and front-engine layout for the C8, each sharing engines(not transmissions, as the FE could receive the 10-speed. ZERV said that it was under testing for transaxle configuration.), performance parts/options, and interiors. The customer would simply have the choice of Grand Tourer or Exotic/Sports car, and the benefits of each.

It makes no sense to me why GM would want to offer two different automatic transmissions in a Corvette. Both a front engine and a mid engine Corvette can use a single design auto transmission and benefit from the economies of scale by doing so.
Old 05-29-2018, 10:11 AM
elegant
Safety Car

Originally Posted by dcbingaman
John, what do you think about a new 4-door FE coupe - similar to the Mercedes CLS, the AMG GT 4-door, the BMW 6-Series Gran Coupe and the Audi A7 ? That would be an interesting twist and would allow GM to share the drivetrain on two markedly different applications - both branded "Corvette". This seems to be the one growing market for sedans, so a Corvette 4-Door Coupe may be the best way for GM to hang onto some of this business.
Maybe down the road, but doubt it for the next four years — for GM has lots of Corvette sports car plans for us 2020-2023.

Get notified of new replies

To So What's the Second New GM Car Being Developed, Is it the real C8?

Old 05-29-2018, 10:57 AM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

Originally Posted by Quinten33

Don’t forget that Corvette is under Chevrolet and owned by GM. I know I take my C7 to the Chevrolet dealer for service. McLaren Is a manufture and Unless GM goes in a crazy direction and makes the Corvette it’s own, I don’t see an SUV or sedan under its model name. It seams pointless

Unfortunately Sedans are dead, The number one purchased Porsche is the Mecan then Cayenne and 3rd is Pannanera 4 door sedan. I have owned many Porsches and remember all the fights on the forum when Porsche was coming out with an SUV. Since Porsche is a manufacturer just like GM, Porsche had no choice to exspand their model line to survive. If Porsche only produceed sports cars they were going to die. What’s funny the number one purchased Porsche’s is an SUV, who would of thought that 10 years ago.

I think GM realized they needed to make a drastic change to the Corvette and going to an ME design is definitely a step in that direction. Time will tell if it was the best decision for GM no different than Porsche going to an SUV. Drastic Change is difficult for most to handel and not everyone will be happy.
Hopefully in the end it all works out.

Last edited by fasttoys; 05-29-2018 at 05:09 PM.
Old 05-29-2018, 11:18 AM
senah
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

"What’s funny the number one purchased Porsche’s an SUV......"

which is why i will be surprised if there isn't a corvette suv on the planning board.

there was a comment from a corvette salesman about how much it would increase his business if gm produced a corvette suv.

also wouldn't be surprised if the me is a zora and the c8 is front engine.
Old 05-29-2018, 11:32 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by senah
"What’s funny the number one purchased Porsche’s an SUV......"

which is why i will be surprised if there isn't a corvette suv on the planning board.

there was a comment from a corvette salesman about how much it would increase his business if gm produced a corvette suv.

also wouldn't be surprised if the me is a zora and the c8 is front engine.
If GM wants to compete in the Cayenne market, they will do so under the Cadillac umbrella. If it works, they may trickle down a version of it to Chevrolet. They'll never put more than two seats in a Corvette, no way.
The following 2 users liked this post by lt4obsesses:
fasttoys (05-29-2018), JustinStrife (05-30-2018)

Quick Reply: So What's the Second New GM Car Being Developed, Is it the real C8?