Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will Only The ME Coupe Be Revealed At First?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 01:14 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Default Will Only The ME Coupe Be Revealed At First?

As we all remember, the NAIAS 1.13.13 Stingray reveal only had the coupe. The Stingray convertible was not officially revealed until March 4th at the Geneva Auto Show.

While we have two threads discussing the ME’s reveal, both have focused on when. Here’s a second major question of interest to many.

Would the ME’s initial reveal only have a coupe, or would it also include the HT convertible?

The Z06 coupe was also revealed first at NAIAS, with again the convertible not being revealed until later, though at NYAS. The Grand Sport reveal also only has a coupe at the Geneva Auto Show.

We have been re-dissecting the many teaser steps in the C7’s pre-reveal process the last couple of months. This many-step teasing continued after both the C7, the Z06 and the Grand Sport’s initial reveals.

I therefore think that we will first only see a ME coupe revealed, followed by the HT convertible at a later major show.

Some will correctly say, “yes, but the ZR1 coupe and convertible was introduced together.” However, since the ZR1 was one year later revealed than GM originally planned, and second, with GM only producing less than 200 per month, GM needed to get both ZR1 versions out at the same time. Finally, whether will GM admit it or not, they wanted to “clear the room” and have all after last November’s speculation about a new model be exclusively about the 2020 ME.

What do you think regarding whether the ME will have a coupe reveal earlier than the HT convertible? If you agree, what two locations/events do you think would be when the coupe and later the convertible would be introduced?

Last edited by elegant; 06-02-2018 at 01:24 PM.
Old 06-02-2018, 02:10 PM
Bikerjulio
Burning Brakes

Received 381 Likes on 221 Posts

I really really hope that the convertible is included in the initial intro, since that's what I want. The glimmer of hope for me is that the majority of the spy shots seem to have been of the convertible.
Old 06-02-2018, 02:17 PM
elegant
Safety Car

I too want to order an HT convertible ME. Hope that if it is not revealed up front, that at least when orders go in, that orders for both the coupe and the HT convertible are “open without model constraint.”
Old 06-02-2018, 10:42 PM
Larshelt
Heel & Toe

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been following Corvettes since I saw my first one at the car show in '63. I have really been tracking the RME since rumors starting swirling about this vehicle finally coming to fruition after many concepts appearing over the years.

If I remember right, during C7 development, the coupe and covertible where being developed side by side and to keep the excitement going over time, the coupe was released first followed by the convertible and etc.

With the sightings of possible two types of RME's running around all over the place and
with several manufactures pulling out of the upcoming NAIAS, I think it would be a great time to showcase to the world and Corvette followers the release of both the RME Coupe and HT Covertible side by side on a rotating platform. Showing one would take the Show, showing both at the same time would take the World. JMHO!
The following users liked this post:
tooold2race (06-03-2018)
Old 06-02-2018, 11:31 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Like your spirit Larshelt! Good wisdom in your post.
Larshelt (06-03-2018)
Old 06-02-2018, 11:44 PM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,157 Likes on 650 Posts

Absolutely,that would be a perfect debut,
no BS,
This is what we got...,pick your colour ,your body style,
and this is your price.
Value and heritage,that’s Corvette.

Larshelt (06-03-2018)
Old 06-03-2018, 08:37 AM
FrankLP
Miles of Smiles
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 540 Likes on 365 Posts
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist

I think GM will stagger the release of each version of the C8 as they historically have with other, more recent generations.

This allows for maximization of Marketing ROI, and long(er) term sustained excitement/interest. It also allows GM to save some "ammo" to compete with other manufacturers' subsequent releases.

As far as venues go... while I still think there's a place for the typical events already in place, I can't help but think that GM's (and others') Marketing team will be exploring/implementing more innovative tactics after the initial release.

I'm certain all these Marketing teams are wanting to get an edge on their competition... wanting to find ways to reach the target market earlier and where/how those potential customers spend their time. That said, I can imagine release tactics via forums/platforms (i.e. AR, VR, latest social media apps, etc etc etc) that are generally more common to and utilized by younger generations. Heck, I have my hands full with just Facebook and Twitter... there's so many I'm unaware of 'cause I'm an "old guy"!

It's all very intriguing to think about. I'm looking forward to the ride... I'm sure I'll be learning a thing or two along the way!

Last edited by FrankLP; 06-03-2018 at 10:55 AM.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:51 AM
tbasco 6
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Releasing the coupe first would also give some of us more time to enjoy ours before the vert/ht is released.
Old 06-03-2018, 11:28 AM
Quinten33
Burning Brakes

Received 536 Likes on 238 Posts

It’s a shame that the L.A. Auto Show is before the NAIAS. L.A. is the perfect place to reveal a hardtop convertible sports car. They have the best climate in the continental states some of the best driving roads in the world. Not to mention the number of wealthy citizens in the area. I bet the streets of Southern California will be littered with mid-engine Corvettes four years from now. All the successesful millenials and single businesspeople who buy sports cars and coupes will definitely consider the C8 Corvette. How else do you stand out amongst the Luxury cars and SUVs for $80,000?
Old 06-03-2018, 11:41 AM
C5Driver
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 93 Posts

If the ME is really the C8 and the C7 replacement I will say yes that's usually GMs game to dribble them out one year at a time.
Old 06-03-2018, 11:52 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,702 Likes on 5,595 Posts

Yes, coup only at first offering, vert to follow 2nd or 3rd year.

Get notified of new replies

To Will Only The ME Coupe Be Revealed At First?

Quick Reply: Will Only The ME Coupe Be Revealed At First?