Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Many Corvette Options for the next couple of years

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 08:25 AM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,157 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant
The IHS Markit Engine Forecast lists 2020 Corvette production as 19,000 ME ‘s and 14,000 FE’s.
Something is just not adding up...

They’re gonna barely beat that 14000 number this year,
and that’s with an all new ZR1,aggressive incentives,and
not to mention the “dumping “ of all those base stingray convertibles, at the car rental kiosks all over Florida and California .

I don’t see how they can sell all those front engine cars in 2020 and still sell 19000 mid engines,regardless of price point.

Old 06-05-2018, 10:02 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Why can't GM sell two different Corvette configurations at the same time?

Porsche's rear engine 911 is a different configuration than the mid engine Boxster/Cayman.

Out of 7 models that Ferrari offers, four are front engine vs the completely different mid engine models for the remaining three model.

Mercedes has a bunch of different front engine 2 seater sports cars in it's lineup, but they are coming out with a mid engine version.

The thing is, is that pricewise, none of the models compete with each other, from any of those manufacturers.

A different size shoe for a different size foot.

Last edited by JoesC5; 06-05-2018 at 10:05 AM.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:36 AM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Joe, that is a reasoned and thoughtful post (no sarcasm, just appreciation). I am glad that you are starting to be back to your previous, informative-at-times self, and that not every post of yours is a rip on all that is new.

Keep up being occasionally positive Joe, and I and others will start listening to you.

Yes, I took you off my “ignore list,” and with posts like above, I will continue to read them.

Last edited by elegant; 06-05-2018 at 10:46 AM.
Old 06-05-2018, 01:37 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Why can't GM sell two different Corvette configurations at the same time?

Porsche's rear engine 911 is a different configuration than the mid engine Boxster/Cayman.

Out of 7 models that Ferrari offers, four are front engine vs the completely different mid engine models for the remaining three model.

Mercedes has a bunch of different front engine 2 seater sports cars in it's lineup, but they are coming out with a mid engine version.

The thing is, is that pricewise, none of the models compete with each other, from any of those manufacturers.

A different size shoe for a different size foot.
This is exactly what I believe they are doing.

I am basing my thoughts on few different things. Way back when the C7 Z06 came out, there was an interview with Juechter where he stated that they had gone about as far as they can with the Front Engine format, and if you read and watch the reviews on that car, that seems about right. Given all they did to put traction into it, the torque is still a lot for even the best drivers to handle.

So, a couple of years later we get the ZR1. An accomplishment of no small proportion, but it needs a huge wing and a few other things, that, let's say reduce the market share to only those wanting to make a bold statement, that car is not for everyone. As far as how difficult it is to handle, I don't know, let's ask Mark Reuss.

A mid engine car is going to put GM in a place where they can start playing with some of the stuff that the limitations of the FE car wouldn't let them do. Whether that be DCT, AWD, twin turbo, who knows? But these are things they said they looked into for C7 and couldn't find the right solution.

More importantly, a mid engine design might allow them to offer that ZR1 performance level, or better, in a more refined appearance package, thus broadening it's market. If they can offer $500K performance and styling at a $100K price tag, they just might sell 19,000 of them.

But there are a lot of folks out there that can afford a $65K Corvette that can't do much more than that. There are a lot of folks out there that buy this car for a daily driver. There are a lot of folks out there that love the Corvette for what it is, what it stands for, and it's legacy. These are the folks that are the bread and butter for Corvette and the ones that have kept the model going for 65 years. I don't think GM is going to turn their backs on that. There is a lot that the FE Corvette offers that a mid engine car can't.

Elegant mentioned the IHS report. Well, that is an outside independent analysis which like everything here is based upon speculation. When it says that the "Y1" is not listed a few years out, that could simply mean that it is the end of the C7, which could mean the beginning of the C8 (the traditional FE car). Of course, this is just an opinion, like every other thought in this sub-forum.

Last edited by lt4obsesses; 06-05-2018 at 01:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Many Corvette Options for the next couple of years