Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interior Design of the ME Zora and Quality Standards

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 11:55 AM
C7pimp
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Quinten33

There’s no way that the base C8 will weigh 3500lbs. The weight gain would nearly reverse the benefits of going mid-engine.

At worst, we see no weight change in the base car at about 3,300 lbs.

At very best we see about 50 lb reduction over the current C7 base car. Nothing big, but nothing in the wrong direction either. Without extensive use of carbon fiber in the chassis, getting weight below 3,200 lbs is going to be quite a challenge.

Let's take the C7 and remove the driveshaft and extra exhaust piping. We lose about, what, 20 to 25 lbs? That's a reduction inherent with the Mid-Engine platform. Also adds to mpg's and rwhp efficiency a little bit. If nothing else changed essentially we see a car that is 20 to 25 lbs lighter. If they do some fancy tricks with advanced aluminum formings in chassis components to increase strength and reduce weight, we could see another 10 to 15 lbs in reduction, maybe a little more, maybe a little less. If we have about a 1 inch reduction in roof height, and selective use of lightweight materials where sensible (cost wise) we could see another 10 lbs shaved off the car.

Unless they go carbon tub, we just aren't going to see a lot. But, we are not going to see any real increase in weight at all. Just can't see that happening realistically.

Last edited by C7pimp; 06-28-2018 at 12:01 PM.
Old 06-28-2018, 01:57 PM
tbrenny33
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by C7pimp

At very best we see about 50 lb reduction over the current C7 base car. Nothing big, but nothing in the wrong direction either. Without extensive use of carbon fiber in the chassis, getting weight below 3,200 lbs is going to be quite a challenge.

Let's take the C7 and remove the driveshaft and extra exhaust piping. We lose about, what, 20 to 25 lbs? That's a reduction inherent with the Mid-Engine platform. Also adds to mpg's and rwhp efficiency a little bit. If nothing else changed essentially we see a car that is 20 to 25 lbs lighter. If they do some fancy tricks with advanced aluminum formings in chassis components to increase strength and reduce weight, we could see another 10 to 15 lbs in reduction, maybe a little more, maybe a little less. If we have about a 1 inch reduction in roof height, and selective use of lightweight materials where sensible (cost wise) we could see another 10 lbs shaved off the car.

Unless they go carbon tub, we just aren't going to see a lot. But, we are not going to see any real increase in weight at all. Just can't see that happening realistically.
good to hear from you again pimp!! I agree with you I see about the same to a very minimal weight loss and they’ll keep prices where they should be. I would like to see the equivalent of the 2LT become the base quality. Except for say a Z06 like stripped package. NA/and essential zero creature comforts. Basically just for the very small percentage that want it.
Old 06-28-2018, 03:22 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I agreed. And not just for the percentage wise small amount who track their cars, but for better auto media test results (bragging rights) due to its lesser weight, and lastly for those who wish less “fancy and other stuff” that potentially can go wrong later.

Last edited by elegant; 06-28-2018 at 03:38 PM.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:45 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Your messiah is back typing his usual nonsense. Is it just me, or is the C8 section the worst the forum has ever been for fake news?
Old 06-28-2018, 07:27 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

Let's take the C7 and remove the driveshaft and extra exhaust piping. We lose about, what, 20 to 25 lbs? That's a reduction inherent with the Mid-Engine platform. Also adds to mpg's and rwhp efficiency a little bit. If nothing else changed essentially we see a car that is 20 to 25 lbs lighter.
You lose another 40 pounds in the TQ tube.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:03 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,156 Likes on 516 Posts

As a side note, I went and listened to the Panaray Sound System in a Platinum level Cadillac CT6 today and I'm happy to relay that it sounds pretty incredible. And it was only XM radio that I was listening to. Very clean and crystal clear at higher volume. If we can get a optional version of this in the mid engined Zora it will be epic. Far beyond what I expected and I had a high end audiophile quality sound system in my prior home.
The following users liked this post:
elegant (06-28-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 08:29 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Thanks skank for that detailed review! I too hope it is an option.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:25 PM
tooold2race
Burning Brakes

Received 547 Likes on 284 Posts

I too fell for the concept of aftermarket trim upgrades from 'high line' vendors. Unfortunately, they did NOT hold up after less than a year. The factory trim may not be up to some ones perception of quality or design standards but they certainly seem top hold up in the 'real world'. Good luck to all of you that are giving it a try. I hope it lives up to your expectations.... In the mean time, I'll stick with GM's factory optional trim offerings. They may not be Gucci quality, but they still look like new after 3+ years....
purple heart (01-11-2019)
Old 06-30-2018, 09:43 PM
ltomn
Pro

Received 240 Likes on 150 Posts

Don't short some of the quality aftermarket designers! John Caravaggio is one of them. This guy is for real! He makes some of the most Ferrari looking interiors I've ever seen outside of Maranello.

https://www.caravaggiocorvettes.com/
Old 06-30-2018, 09:56 PM
elegant
Safety Car

This was the very first Z06 steering wheel that John Caravaggio did. It still looks identically even three years later.
Old 06-30-2018, 10:13 PM
vetteman41960
Burning Brakes

Received 1,051 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant

This was the very first Z06 steering wheel that John Caravaggio did. It still looks identically even three years later.
I have the same exact steering wheel except it has adrenalin red / black inserts.

absolutely impressed with John's workmenship.

make the whole interior far more appealing and the placement of the hand grips is perfect.

All in all a bargain at $1800.00

The steering wheel option on my 458 was 6k plus so at $1800.00 John wheel has same quality as the Ferrari wheel.
Old 07-01-2018, 12:52 PM
ltomn
Pro

Received 240 Likes on 150 Posts

In my 911 S Cabriolet order, they wanted $1400 for a wood steering wheel. I declinedl
Old 01-10-2019, 04:55 PM
jamesampm
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts

I think legally, no they cannot copy the Lamborghini interior. Maybe enough time has passed that they can use this interior though!

Old 01-10-2019, 07:01 PM
PurpleLion
Burning Brakes

Received 857 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by NY09C6
GM would be wise to release the car with a basic interior and manual trans at near c7 prices and wack buyers 5k for a DCT and another 5k for a premium interior option. Guys like me who have no interest in this will buy at that price point and others will easily pay the extra. They both seem to be monumentally important to some.
Some of us are more interested in our sports car being light weight than its having a luxury car interior.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:17 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by PurpleLion
Some of us are more interested in our sports car being light weight than its having a luxury car interior.
Did you read the entire #1 post and the links ?
Old 01-10-2019, 09:10 PM
ryryokeefe
Racer

Received 113 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant

Not hating on John's craftsmanship in any way, but I'm sorry, that wheel design looks like something out of a JC Whitney catalog.
purple heart (01-11-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 09:36 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

I would be happy if the interior parts just lined up, didn't have huge gaps, and there were no squeaks and rattles. Toyota seems to be able to do this with a $15,000 Tercel.

Get notified of new replies

To Interior Design of the ME Zora and Quality Standards

Old 01-10-2019, 10:33 PM
PurpleLion
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by skank
Did you read the entire #1 post and the links ?
I am not sure re your point? Many interior quality options add additional weight except some like carbon fiber that add extreme cost. I, personally, like the idea of making the interior basic and light, with the optional ability to add more luxury (weight). Maybe like a 0LT option followed by 1LT thru 3LT.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:02 AM
skank
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by PurpleLion
I am not sure re your point? Many interior quality options add additional weight except some like carbon fiber that add extreme cost. I, personally, like the idea of making the interior basic and light, with the optional ability to add more luxury (weight). Maybe like a 0LT option followed by 1LT thru 3LT.
I agree with most of your comment, but if you had read it all including the links you would have realized that the lightest is sometimes the most expensive. The Ask Tadge link has Tadge Juecter explaining that very process. The optional Panaray Sound System has ultra light arrayed tiny speakers vs conventional larger and heavier speakers. Do you want cheaper plastic switch gear or a higher quality metal switchgear( think high end audiophile dials and switches that have ultra smooth action or rotational smoothness)? Porsche actually has web straps vs door handles on their 911 GT cars to save weight yet they charge more for the cheaper look. Gorilla Glass has been mentioned in my List thread as a potential alternative to conventional glass. It is lighter, quieter, stronger, and has a high UV coefficient to eliminate sun fade of the interior. All food for thought.

Last edited by skank; 01-11-2019 at 04:43 AM.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:28 AM
PurpleLion
Burning Brakes

Gorilla glass seems like a great idea.

Re sound systems, as an ex audiophile I know that the only really good speakers are very heavy since weight is required in the speaker enclosure to reduce / eliminate undesired resonances. Also, it is impossible to replicate a proper sonic image inside the complex interior of an automobile. For theses reasons, I personally prefer a light, simple system. Especially since I rarely turn on the radio when I am driving and never when driving fast.

Therefore, for my money, I would probably opt for 0LT. To put it another way, if I were really wealthy I would love to own a 488 challenge instead of a better appointed normal 488.

Quick Reply: Interior Design of the ME Zora and Quality Standards