Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Here is what Autoline said about the C7 and C8

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 05:58 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Received 869 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Is there anything that conflicts with the comments that GM made two or three years ago that the C7 and C8 would be co produced for a period of two years? There is nothing that would prevent them from manufacturing both architectures in the new manufacturing flow, in fact it looks like it was designed to make it possible.

Bill
Exactly. GM can and will build both the FE and ME on the same assembly line using the same chassis and engines. There is no reason not to and if the ME fails, GM still has the FE to build and sell. OTOH, just building the ME is too risky so that business case would not make sense.
Old 07-25-2018, 07:11 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Is there anything that conflicts with the comments that GM made two or three years ago that the C7 and C8 would be co produced for a period of two years? There is nothing that would prevent them from manufacturing both architectures in the new manufacturing flow, in fact it looks like it was designed to make it possible.

Bill
Now, did "GM" specifically say that they would be build both simultaneously? Or is this an assumption people are making from the release of the Markit engine forecast report?
Old 07-25-2018, 07:50 PM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,157 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by PCMIII
Yes, the 2019 "current C7" may end production in August 2019, but what exactly is the "next generation Vette" going to be? Zora? Stingray? Both?

My bet is a refreshed C7 with new front and rear fascias, uprated front engine and new interior along with the new Zora ME with the same engine and built on the same chassis. Everyone gets what they want and GM makes more money with higher prices and volumes. Win-Win.
Win-Win isn’t that easy...It’s only a two seat toy.

I for one ,would love a world of 426 hemi,340 wedge,396 Chevy engines only being manufactured...

I would love for all front wheel drive cars to be banned as well.

I hope everyone is able to get what they want,
but ... the eighth generation of the corvette is very clear.

Its the mid engine car,
and it will cover all its bases,
AND it will sell out.

The following users liked this post:
JerriVette (07-25-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 08:04 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

It's funny how we all go over this again and again...even though we have so little official GM info.

D'ZR1 Messiah (07-30-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 08:10 PM
Asleep@thewheel
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 42 Posts

Bill
The biggest confliction I see is one of economics. Why would, you, for example, buy a new C7 when new C8's are also being sold at almost the same sticker price (C7 Z06 vs base C8). Your new C7 will plummet in value compared to the new C8 the day after you buy it. Now, if the C7's are getting HUGE discounts to get them to sell it may make sense to a buyer...but GM loses money...why would they do that?
The following 3 users liked this post by Asleep@thewheel:
Boiler_81 (07-26-2018), fasttoys (07-25-2018), tooold2race (08-06-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 08:24 PM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,157 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
It's funny how we all go over this again and again...even though we have so little official GM info.

Its true...we don’t know much,
but on the other hand this C8 section is full of people who preordered their cars or,are
and they all are excited for the mid engine car.
were still waiting for the first “can’t wait to get the new C71/2 thread”
Old 07-25-2018, 09:51 PM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

Huh well this is very interesting news. Auto-line is very conservative and typically won’t just run with a story Unless they have good proof or they would say this is a rumor in the commentary. Could this be why GM flew by the 2018 and pushed production up on the 2019. Anyway who knows, in all my years I have never seen GM keep us from seeing any pre production car as well as they have with the new mid-engine corvette.

I been watching John M since the show was introduced. They have a lot of inside info and know a lot of leadership in Detroit. At one time the show was called Autoline Detroit. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autoline_Detroit
i watch after hours show every Thursday.
Time will tell who is getting accurate info. Us on the forum or Detroit reporters.

It’s going to be fun 7 months. A year ago I told a well known forum member I felt we could have a ME by February/March of 2019.

Last edited by fasttoys; 07-25-2018 at 10:41 PM.
JerriVette (07-25-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 10:00 PM
MikeG37
Drifting

Received 756 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder

I agree that makes sense, but we haven't seen ANY front engine testing.
They could easily be/been testing new front engined cars all over the country and nobody has noticed a thing.

C7's cruising around in '11

Old 07-25-2018, 10:18 PM
MikeG37
Drifting

Received 756 Likes on 351 Posts

As far as we all know it's possible this chase car (that looks like a current ZR1) could be sitting on an all new chassis, sporting a new drivetrain.
Old 07-26-2018, 01:19 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,165 Likes on 5,989 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeG37
They could easily be/been testing new front engined cars all over the country and nobody has noticed a thing.

C7's cruising around in '11
Yes I remember those... but that was followed shortly thereafter by the cladded mules. I feel if a new FE car was coming out we'd see more by now. Plus, there's little room for a DOHC let alone turbos in a FE RWD car that can meat their track durability standards.
Old 07-26-2018, 04:51 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Call John McElroy at autoline after hours and leave your question.

1 620 288 6546

got a question ? Have a comment. Autoline wants you to make your voice heard,

seriously leave a ve a voice mail and they usually play it on the air that week..l

todays show www.autoline.tv will air 3 pm eastern time. The show is an hour long.

call in anyway, anytime or even at 3 pm today and ask your question or leave your comment.

John McElroy who is really a very nice gentleman has been covering the auto industry for many decades wants to hear your questions and comments.

I ve been calling in for years. It’s fun to watch the guest hosts and or John answer what they can...or react to your comments...

i watch the show show in Thursday’s at 3 pm and also tend to call in during the show at around 3:20 depending on the guests topics..l

i also met John when he did a live taping at Katz’s deli in downtown NY and we were all on the show. The food was great, the show was fun....and we were all on asking questions about the NY autoshow and various manufacturers ...etc...

make your opinions heard...call in and leave some voice mails...

the more ore the merrier.,,I told John you guys on corvette forum have some very strong opinions..

the heads of the car companies like Mark Ruess watch autoline after hours every week and in fact are often guests on the show...

good luck deciding what to ask....keep your questions or comment so to around 30 seconds..

just your name, where your from and what your question or comment is..

wanr GM to know you want a manual transmission? Put it on the air...

want gm GM to know you want a dct? Put it o. The air...

want corvette engineering to know you want front engine corvettes to continue? Either ask it as a question or a statement.

want the panels opinion on a Cadillac version of the corvette as if it would be successful this time around? Ask the question.ll

Old 07-26-2018, 06:05 AM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500
i'll bet anybody a $1,they will build 2 cars a mid eng halo car and a front reg car
gm didn't spend all the money to expand the plant to build 1 car the adition is so big they could build 4 different cars there
If your bet is GM will built two versions of the Corvette, put me down for a $1.
GM is only going to build 1 version of the Corvette, and it will be a ME from all that we have seen (ME prototypes) and have not seen (no FE prototypes). That doesn't mean it won't built a ME (or far less likely FE) Cadillac after the C8 is launched.
The BG plant addition (not counting the paint shop which has capacity for 30,000 units per year) is only about 50% of the size of the old plant, so 4 different cars is not happening.
Old 07-26-2018, 08:37 AM
Chrisrokc
Drifting

Received 170 Likes on 58 Posts

I was told by an engineer on the project it was one vehicle and it was sure to hurt Corvette purist “feelings”. Everything he told me about the car including the three powertrains has been right on the money.

Bet you 2 dollars. There is NO new FE car.... yet. ME is the C8.

Last edited by Chrisrokc; 07-26-2018 at 08:38 AM.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:20 AM
txoutdoors
Instructor

Received 123 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant

That AutoForecast Solutions prediction is in conflict with a GM memo it sent to its dealers on December 11, 2017 which listed March, 2018 as the end of 2019 ZR1 production.
Wasn't March 2018 the START of 2019 ZR1 production?
Old 07-26-2018, 09:28 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Originally Posted by LIStingray
If your bet is GM will built two versions of the Corvette, put me down for a $1.
GM is only going to build 1 version of the Corvette, and it will be a ME from all that we have seen (ME prototypes) and have not seen (no FE prototypes). That doesn't mean it won't built a ME (or far less likely FE) Cadillac after the C8 is launched.
The BG plant addition (not counting the paint shop which has capacity for 30,000 units per year) is only about 50% of the size of the old plant, so 4 different cars is not happening.
Actually Caddy is building a FE performance car based on the Camaro platform. I think it's good looking.

http://www.thedrive.com/news/21998/c...ible-ct5-coupe

Last edited by RapidC84B; 07-26-2018 at 09:28 AM.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:32 AM
fyreline
Supporting Lifetime
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,267 Likes on 508 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist

Those who know don't talk, and those who talk don't know. It's always amusing to read the comments here by folks who "know" what's going to happen, and when, and how.

No, they don't.
Old 07-26-2018, 11:03 AM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant
So who should we believe, an auto forecasting company or the company who is making the Corvette.
This is kind of like the age old question, who do you trust, the government or science?

Get notified of new replies

To Here is what Autoline said about the C7 and C8

Old 07-26-2018, 11:47 AM
Stingcan
Instructor

Received 163 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by fyreline
Those who know don't talk, and those who talk don't know. It's always amusing to read the comments here by folks who "know" what's going to happen, and when, and how.

No, they don't.

Apparently dealers have been told no more ZR1 allocations in Canada (as in not just for this MY). Maybe the C8 really is that close. Who knows, maybe C7 sales are at a point where they will release C8 earlier than planned. Then again, this may all be BS. Either way I'm getting my 2019 Z on Monday so either way I'll be happy until the next gen can be had with some discount.
Old 07-26-2018, 11:48 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
Actually Caddy is building a FE performance car based on the Camaro platform. I think it's good looking.

Link to where GM has stated it is using a Camaro platform, or that it will ever see the light of day?

GM has had a patent for several years for a DCT with a Torque convertor. Not a single GM car actually has a DCT with a torque convertor as of this date.

Last edited by JoesC5; 07-26-2018 at 11:51 AM.
Old 07-26-2018, 12:08 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Link to where GM has stated it is using a Camaro platform, or that it will ever see the light of day?

GM has had a patent for several years for a DCT with a Torque convertor. Not a single GM car actually has a DCT with a torque convertor as of this date.
Link to where GM admits the car is real? Did you read the article? They surmise it will replace the CTS/ATS coupe which is based on the Alpha chassis.

Quick Reply: Here is what Autoline said about the C7 and C8