Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Last generation of OHV

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 08:18 PM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 207 Posts

I’m not sure I’d write off the OHV (or cam-in-block) engine just yet. OHV engines still dominate large displacement engines for offshore racing boats - probably the toughest environment any IC engine has ever powered through.

In terms of power-to-weight and power-to-volume ratios, forced induction OHV engines have never been equaled. Indeed, Chevy big block OHV engines dominated the Can-Am racing series, where HP levels typically exceeded 800 HP. The only OHC engine to beat the big Chevy / McLaren combo was the Porsche turbocharged flat-12, which, it should be noted, was air-cooled (like an aircraft engine). The fastest non-hybrid LeMans car in history is the Peugeot 906 which had a V-12 Diesel which redlined at 5000 rpm. High rpm capability in a race car engine is not a requirement, but it is a choice. It is necessity to make big power with small displacement.

The drive for a DOHC engine for Corvette is driven by the need for commonality with other GM products and the tremendous drive to improve the GM fleets fuel economy. The near universal approach to this drive is to use a turbocharged in-line 4 with displacements from 1.0 to 3.0 liters matched with a multi speed transmission (7 to 10 speeds). A V-8 derived from these engines is the best hope for a future sports car, but nobody should confuse this for a drive for better absolute performance. It’s not.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:54 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by dcbingaman
I’m not sure I’d write off the OHV (or cam-in-block) engine just yet. OHV engines still dominate large displacement engines for offshore racing boats - probably the toughest environment any IC engine has ever powered through.
Do they? Mercury Marine offered to DOHC racing engines years ago.

Here is one that is 9 liters, DOHC, turbocharged, and produces 1750 horsepower.

http://www.mercuryracing.com/sterndr...0-competition/
Old 08-15-2018, 09:55 PM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Michael A
Do they? Mercury Marine offered to DOHC racing engines years ago.

Here is one that is 9 liters, DOHC, turbocharged, and produces 1750 horsepower.

http://www.mercuryracing.com/sterndr...0-competition/
Yup - Mercury Racing came out with these OHC heads about 2-3 years ago. I think they wanted to go to four valves to get more power. The cams are driven by a chain off the cam-in-block like their smaller CB4 prototype.

I was referring to the previous generation of GM-based and Chrysler-based OHV V-8's that have dominated inboards and inboard-ourboards for years. There are literally thosands of these engines powering Cigarettes and Catamaran speedboats on Poker Runs from coast to coast.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:03 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

The ohv engine is loved for its low cost high output...and small size.

the dohc twin turbo will be excellent for tuners to play with so that is a big plus if a bit expensive to purchase.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:17 PM
CaliforniaJack
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

OHV means Overhead Valve which all cars have had since the early 50's to replace the flathead with Valves in the block. What we are really talking about is Cam in block or Cam over valve. Or two cams over valves.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:34 AM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

The engine that we should be paying attention to is this one, the DOHC 2.7L LB3 that GM is building for the 2019 Silverado. It is a turbocharged I-4 that makes over 300 HP and nearly 350 ft-lb of torque. It is GM's answer to Ford's Eco-Boost V-6. This engine is the technology leader for everything else GM is doing in IC engines. Whatever DOHC engine ends up in the 202X Corvette, it will derive from this engine. Conveniently, a V-8 derived from this I-4 would displace 5.4L and make over 600 HP. Not too shabby.

GM 2.7L DOHC Turbo I-4
Old 08-16-2018, 06:21 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

The tripower four has new thermal managment advancements that are quite impressive in creating a consistent power output.

those advances transferred to our v8 would be a major win for us.

i would imagine with the upcoming hot vee v8 thermal managment controls as described in the press release of the tri power turbo four are critical to consistent and impressive power levels ..

hopefully the LT1 derived c8 base powerplant will also beenefit from GM’s advancements in thermal management.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:33 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

The engine that we should be paying attention to is this one, the DOHC 2.7L LB3 that GM is building for the 2019 Silverado. It is a turbocharged I-4 that makes over 300 HP and nearly 350 ft-lb of torque. It is GM's answer to Ford's Eco-Boost V-6. This engine is the technology leader for everything else GM is doing in IC engines. Whatever DOHC engine ends up in the 202X Corvette, it will derive from this engine. Conveniently, a V-8 derived from this I-4 would displace 5.4L and make over 600 HP. Not too shabby.

GM 2.7L DOHC Turbo I-4
I don't think it will be derived from it at all. Look at how long the stroke is. This is a low RPM truck engine.

Last edited by Michael A; 08-16-2018 at 07:34 PM.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:23 PM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

I don't think it will be derived from it at all. Look at how long the stroke is. This is a low RPM truck engine.
The block, crank and stroke are all new for a V-8 anyway. The stroke is actually not that long compared to the piston diameter. The (expensive) carryover parts are the heads and the turbos. Those are clearly applicable to a new V-8 since you could use one of these heads for each side.

If you went "square" on the stroke with the same piston size as this LB3, the displacement of the derived V-8 would be about 5.0L. Alternately if you go up in piston size and keep the stroke square, the piston would be about 3.75" in diameter for a 5.5L V-8. NOT THAT BIG A CHANGE !!

Last edited by dcbingaman; 08-17-2018 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Wording
Old 08-19-2018, 09:20 PM
obzidian
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by C7pimp
AMen.

A 500-525 hp NA 5.5 L DOHC V8, 7500 RPM would be perfect for the base ME Vette.
NO NO NO NO NO NO...

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE!!!

THIS IS MODERN CHEVY POWER DAG MABIT!!!

KEEP IT OHV, KEEP WHOOPING ***, KEEP THE DAMN MANUAL TRANS AND MAKE IT U ABOVE AND BEYOND THE NOISE/BS IN PERFORMANCE.

Sorry for the all caps but this is gettibg out of control. If you want a whimoy high reving "v8" buy a european influenced turd i.e. mustang.

We like out modern gm motors fat, lean, one cam is all you need, and enough rpms to keep the torque up and the competition behind you.

and for god sakes a MANUAL TRANS... wtf????
Old 08-20-2018, 01:46 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,165 Likes on 5,989 Posts

This is why I took my daughter to see the C7Rs run at VIR yesterday.... wanted her to see and feel a real American V8 Corvette (she's only 2 so maybe she'll have some faint memories of the day)! The leaked C8R sounds just don't do it for me.

Old 08-20-2018, 05:59 PM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

I drive a C4 ZR-1. 5.7L 540chp. Find out what a Vette feels like when u can wind it up thru 7k. In fact drive a modded DOHC LT5 to put a real grin on ur face. Find out what its like for the hp curve to stay flat at the top instead of dropping off a cliff like an anvil. That’s a Vette.
Old 08-21-2018, 04:00 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Dominic Sorresso
I drive a C4 ZR-1. 5.7L 540chp. Find out what a Vette feels like when u can wind it up thru 7k. In fact drive a modded DOHC LT5 to put a real grin on ur face. Find out what its like for the hp curve to stay flat at the top instead of dropping off a cliff like an anvil. That’s a Vette.
its a unique feeling to be sure the old LSV peaks at 7200 at 619 chp but is only down 3 hp at 7500 which encourages misbehavior

with the light rods and flywheel the motor revs very quickly indeed. looking forward to trying to better those numbers a bit
Old 08-21-2018, 04:51 PM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

Ron,

That’s the kind of HP dropoff I see on my dyno sheets too. My HP peak is at about 6900 rpm. Torque peaks at 5300 @402lbft rear wheel.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:49 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

The block, crank and stroke are all new for a V-8 anyway. The stroke is actually not that long compared to the piston diameter. The (expensive) carryover parts are the heads and the turbos. Those are clearly applicable to a new V-8 since you could use one of these heads for each side.

If you went "square" on the stroke with the same piston size as this LB3, the displacement of the derived V-8 would be about 5.0L. Alternately if you go up in piston size and keep the stroke square, the piston would be about 3.75" in diameter for a 5.5L V-8. NOT THAT BIG A CHANGE !!
The exhaust manifold is integrated with the head. The angles would be all wrong if they tried to mount this on a V8. Just about everything about this engine is wrong for a high performance V8.
Old 08-22-2018, 02:44 AM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

The exhaust manifold is integrated with the head. The angles would be all wrong if they tried to mount this on a V8. Just about everything about this engine is wrong for a high performance V8.
Micheal, I respectfully disagree. First, head castings can easily be changed, Second, a 2.7L I-4 that makes over 300 HP and nearly 350 ft-lb of torque is a very high performance engine. Third, there are clearly many ways to put together a high performance V-8. In GM and Corvette past history, from the days of Ed Cole, the Corvette has always used a corporate engine - the five generations of the OHV small block V-8.

Unlike Ferrari and others, GM has never built an engine solely for the Corvette, with the exception of the Lotus / Mercury Marine LT5 which proves the rule that such an engine is clearly unaffordable. For GM to bring a new DOHC V-8 to the C8 Corvette, it HAS TO draw technologies, parts and assemblies from the engines GM plans to build in much larger numbers than ~30,000 a year. The most important thing about the LB3 is it's use in GM's future pickup trucks, insuring builds of over 150,000 units per year. That volume of production of pistons, turbos, cams, etc. is what will make a high performance DOHC V-8 both possible and affordable.
Old 08-23-2018, 02:45 PM
Stingcan
Instructor

Received 163 Likes on 56 Posts

Micheal, I respectfully disagree. First, head castings can easily be changed, Second, a 2.7L I-4 that makes over 300 HP and nearly 350 ft-lb of torque is a very high performance engine. Third, there are clearly many ways to put together a high performance V-8. In GM and Corvette past history, from the days of Ed Cole, the Corvette has always used a corporate engine - the five generations of the OHV small block V-8.

Unlike Ferrari and others, GM has never built an engine solely for the Corvette, with the exception of the Lotus / Mercury Marine LT5 which proves the rule that such an engine is clearly unaffordable. For GM to bring a new DOHC V-8 to the C8 Corvette, it HAS TO draw technologies, parts and assemblies from the engines GM plans to build in much larger numbers than ~30,000 a year. The most important thing about the LB3 is it's use in GM's future pickup trucks, insuring builds of over 150,000 units per year. That volume of production of pistons, turbos, cams, etc. is what will make a high performance DOHC V-8 both possible and affordable.

For the time being the LT5 in the new ZR1 is Corvette only.....

Get notified of new replies

To Last generation of OHV

Old 08-23-2018, 04:46 PM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Stingcan
For the time being the LT5 in the new ZR1 is Corvette only.....
I'll complete your sentence "a supercharged version of the LT1 normally aspirated OHV V-8. The LT1, 4 and 5 also use the same bore, stroke, crank, and aluminum block etc. as the 6.2L Ecotec3 Silverado V-8."
The following users liked this post:
Shaka (08-23-2018)
Old 08-23-2018, 08:04 PM
Stingcan
Instructor

Received 163 Likes on 56 Posts

I'll complete your sentence "a supercharged version of the LT1 normally aspirated OHV V-8. The LT1, 4 and 5 also use the same bore, stroke, crank, and aluminum block etc. as the 6.2L Ecotec3 Silverado V-8."
fair enough...
Old 08-23-2018, 09:04 PM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Default LT5 of Yore.....

Originally Posted by Stingcan
fair enough...
The LT5 of yore is the 350 cu. in. DOHC engine built by Mercury Marine and designed by Lotus for GM for the C4 ZR1. It was (I think) a $25,000 option to the basic C4 which was priced at about $25,000-$30,000 dollars in 1994. The custom DOHC engine costs as much as the car. Who knows how much that would translate into in today's dollars, but the current DI OHV LT1 out performs the 1994 C4 LT5 in every way and costs GM less than $10,000 to build.

Hopefully a new DOHC engine for the C8 will cost GM a lot less than $25,000 to build. We'll see.

Quick Reply: Last generation of OHV