Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Last generation of OHV

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 07:51 AM
Stunt
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by dcbingaman
The engine that we should be paying attention to is this one, the DOHC 2.7L LB3 that GM is building for the 2019 Silverado. It is a turbocharged I-4 that makes over 300 HP and nearly 350 ft-lb of torque. It is GM's answer to Ford's Eco-Boost V-6. This engine is the technology leader for everything else GM is doing in IC engines. Whatever DOHC engine ends up in the 202X Corvette, it will derive from this engine. Conveniently, a V-8 derived from this I-4 would displace 5.4L and make over 600 HP. Not too shabby.

GM 2.7L DOHC Turbo I-4
That's pretty good, but Honda's new 2.0T that they put in the Accord has the following specs:

Honda 2.0T
252 hp @ 6,500 rpm 126 hp/liter
273 lb-ft @ 1,500 137 lb-ft/liter

It actually does about 265 hp and 300 lb-ft at the wheels.

GM's numbers are probably very conservative as well, and I bet it will put down better numbers than what the official specs show.

Last edited by Stunt; 08-24-2018 at 07:51 AM.
Old 08-24-2018, 11:53 AM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Stunt
That's pretty good, but Honda's new 2.0T that they put in the Accord has the following specs:

Honda 2.0T

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=wVr7eEsPt-8

GM's numbers are probably very conservative as well, and I bet it will put down better numbers than what the official specs show.
I have a 2016 Volvo T5 2.0L turbo I-4 that puts out 240 HP and 258 ft-lb of torque and gets incredible gas mileage. It's a great little engine. The T6 uprated version of this engine uses a supercharger in sequence with the turbo to put out over 300 HP. These new turbo I-4's with 8+ speed transmissions are replacing V-6's (turbo and NA) across the board in passenger cars, and now in trucks. Pretty interesting engineering and able to get unprecedented fuel economy.
Old 09-02-2018, 06:08 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Honda 2.0T

and hopefully it will sing a bit better song and be cheap like the lnf 2.0 turbo. I need to stuff one of these into my saturn sky with a big turbo and hold on
Old 09-02-2018, 10:01 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

I believe with common sense moving back the target of 54 mpg fleet average the ohv v8 will be around for quite some time.

the low cost, the lught small oackaging and excellent power to weight ratio are all excellent values ..

simple less complicated designs like GM s LT engines are personally preferred and should be offered with mild tweeks for years to come..

in the truck lineup and in corvettes and camaros..

there is enough volume there to continue this engine lineup...

jmo
Old 09-02-2018, 10:09 AM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

Originally Posted by dcbingaman

I have a 2016 Volvo T5 2.0L turbo I-4 that puts out 240 HP and 258 ft-lb of torque and gets incredible gas mileage. It's a great little engine. The T6 uprated version of this engine uses a supercharger in sequence with the turbo to put out over 300 HP. These new turbo I-4's with 8+ speed transmissions are replacing V-6's (turbo and NA) across the board in passenger cars, and now in trucks. Pretty interesting engineering and able to get unprecedented fuel economy.
My daily driver has the updated T6 motor in a loaded Volvo S90. Great motor and fuel efficient I never thought I would have a large luxury sedan with a 4. I am a big BMW guy and other than my M cars BMW is using 4”s now, that was against everything they preached in the past, definitely changing times.
Old 09-02-2018, 03:20 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by fasttoys
My daily driver has the updated T6 motor in a loaded Volvo S90. Great motor and fuel efficient I never thought I would have a large luxury sedan with a 4. I am a big BMW guy and other than my M cars BMW is using 4”s now, that was against everything they preached in the past, definitely changing times.
They stayed away from turbos because of lag. My wife has a 2017 bmw 230i turbo 4. It lags, not awful but certainly a noticeable delay at times. The NA 6 was a much better driving experience.
Old 09-02-2018, 03:36 PM
Darion
Safety Car

Received 232 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by C7pimp
AMen.

A 500-525 hp NA 5.5 L DOHC V8, 7500 RPM would be perfect for the base ME Vette.
Old 09-02-2018, 03:45 PM
Darion
Safety Car

Received 232 Likes on 142 Posts

Honda 2.0T

Here is a more appropriate turbo 4, the one above is a truck motor, this is in the T4 Camaro 1LE.

http://www.gmpowertrain.com/engines/2l-ltg.html

PC

PS, sorry not a link, how do I do that from a phone? Lol

Cliffs, 2.0l, 275 hp and 295 tq.

Old 09-06-2018, 01:57 PM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 205 Posts

The engine that I expected to obsolete OHV and DOHC engines has been labled "Free Valve" by Koenigsegg and it sounded like the ideal solution: infinitely variable intake and exhaust valve timing, simpler construction, 40% Hp increase from converted engines. The only thing is that I don't hear any news updates on it, which makes me wonder if there is some fatal flaw. Basically, instead of cam actuated valves, the valves are actuated electrically, like fuel injectors.
Old 09-07-2018, 03:23 PM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 205 Posts

I got curious and checked for updates on the Free Valve technology. No mention of when it is going to hit production, but they are using pneumatic operation of the valves with electronic control now. On a converted Chinese turbocharged engine, they went from 160 hp to 240 hp. That sounds like 50% to me. The fuel economy is substantially improved but I missed the number. Cold start is improved, catalytic warmup is improved, no pre-cat required, no THROTTLE is required (handled by the intake valves), Direct injection is not needed, the engine gets smaller, especially the heads, they lost about 60 pounds off this small engine. This sounds like such a gamechanger for the internal combustion engine that I can't understand why there isn't a Manhattan Project like program at most manufacturers to get this into production. Unless they figure everything will be electric down the road, Hope not.
Old 09-07-2018, 05:56 PM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 207 Posts

Pretty interesting discussion. Christian Koenigsegg is a genius, and an indefatigable champion of new and better automobile technologies. His sports cars are just unbelievable if a little expensive, (they really put the new-generation Bugatti's to shame.) I wish I could afford one.

This new Free Valve concept he is pursuing could be very important. It is the ultimate implementation of Advanced Fuel Management, (AFM), which GM pioneered and has used very successfully. Free Valve is just one way to do this, however - if you Google "camless engine", you will se a lot of variations on this same theme - direct computer control of intake and exhaust valve actuation. All very promising from a performance and fuel economy standpoint, but the big question for all of these concepts is reliability. The OHV and OHC reciprocating engine mechanical design incorporates over 100 years of design evolution, with an emphasis on reliability.

As for electric cars, they seem inevitable in many ways, but as of 2018, nobody in either the public or private sectors has really stepped up to create the infrastructure to provide rapid charging stations in nearly enough places across the US to replace the ICE engine. Not even close. In addition, Tesla appears ready to fully implode financially as Musk goes "full Trump". Finally at the end of 2018, the most compelling argument for buying a Tesla or other electric vehicle in the USA, the $7500.00 tax credit goes "poof".

The wise Marine fighter pilot and consummate car guru, Bob Lutz, predicted this whole state of affairs, so I guess I'm not really surprised. I do think we will see a lot more electric cars in the future, but they are really suited for a niche market of urban settings and short commutes. (Kind of like big streamlined versions of the golf carts in very large planned carless communities like The Villages in Florida or Ontario Ranch in California.) I do not think they will completely replace ICE-powered cars in the foreseeable future for the simple reason that the energy density of gasoline is still EIGHT TIMES greater than the best Li-Ion battery you can buy, and that deficit will not be erased anytime soon. Energy density drives fuel fraction which drives vehicle range. Physics has not been repealed by Elon Musk or anyone else.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:30 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

They have been working on that free valve tech for longer than I can remember has to be longer than 15 years. It seems like it would be a reliability nightmare unfit for mass production vehicles.

Quick Reply: Last generation of OHV