Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8.R spied testing in camo

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 12:38 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeG37
It's gonna have both. Clean lines and a big functional wing.

Had the very same thought when I first saw the CAD...

Old 08-11-2018, 02:05 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

The rear fenders on the production version look too bulky, or the tires and wheel openings too small. The race car looks in proportion. Maybe it is just the extra camo on the production car. We'll see.

Last edited by Michael A; 08-11-2018 at 05:21 PM.
Old 08-11-2018, 02:21 PM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I think there will be some top dog track version that boy racers will have to option with a stupid looking wing, just like current ZR1. I think we are looking at active aero and probably a nicely sized panel that raises with speed as others have done already. Still hoping that the boy racer mentality is gone.
Old 08-11-2018, 03:11 PM
ZishanM
Pro

Received 276 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by MSG C5
It looks like the GM engineers are mirroring Ferrari for the C8 like they did for the C7. I think the mid engine profile looks very close to the Ferrari 488 Pista.

It funny you should mention that because Top gear compared the C6z looks to the 575. Scroll to 5:35

And the C8 looks increibly like the 488 with its two matching roof. Having they been using Ferrari as styling inspiration this whole time?

Last edited by ZishanM; 08-11-2018 at 03:12 PM.
Old 08-11-2018, 03:49 PM
Stew24
Pro

Received 177 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by firstvettesoon
thanks...

After Pimp's comments and looking at the new pics I refined this view a bit. Still not 100% but closer I think.

Ok, .. Pretty sure I'll be called a troll or hater or something, (Both are SO not the case!) ... but, I think GM released pics of the C8-R testing ... to counter the ill effects and damage to their brand being done with these quite awful "Off-Kilter" renders FVS is doing! I mean, .. props to the man for the Photoshop skills, ..but the imagination and design perception ... is just not good! The car does not look like this render. Full disclosure, .. I'm an artists with a critical eye for aesthetics.
The following 2 users liked this post by Stew24:
BLKTA (08-11-2018), firstvettesoon (08-11-2018)
Old 08-11-2018, 04:09 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

a quick color render... I think most of us will get used to the change...

Arctic White please?
Old 08-11-2018, 04:16 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Stew24
Ok, .. Pretty sure I'll be called a troll or hater or something, (Both are SO not the case!) ... but, I think GM released pics of the C8-R testing ... to counter the ill effects and damage to their brand being done with these quite awful "Off-Kilter" renders FVS is doing! I mean, .. props to the man for the Photoshop skills, ..but the imagination and design perception ... is just not good! The car does not look like this render. Full disclosure, .. I'm an artists with a critical eye for aesthetics.
Thanks Stew!
I guess I owe GM an apology for hurting their brand! I should get together with automobile magazine, motor trend, and road and track and offer our apologies!

... that render... as all the others I have done are over layer on spy images... so the points all line up. The original photos are distorted so the renders are as well. This image in particular is a forced perspective and exaggerated.

Funny thing about perception. If I corrected the renders, some complain that it does not look like the "distorted" view of the photo car. If I copy the photo exactly, others complain that it is distorted looking. Oh welllll kant pleeze everyone... it’s the best I can do in the time I have.

As I have said from the beginning, these are for discussion about possible features , not for an exact photo realistic image. I am not using MY design imagination at all. I am/ was trying to “guess” what GMs design is. For fun and discussion. I don’t spend THAT much time on them. : )

I guess you missed the one above? Better info. Better renders.

As an artist with a critical eye for aesthetics... you are free to do better. I wish you would. I’m tired!

By the way, if my crappy renderings compelled GM to release photos of the actual car… I am thrilled!

Last edited by firstvettesoon; 08-11-2018 at 05:30 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by firstvettesoon:
fasttoys (08-12-2018), RJ-92 (08-12-2018), RoketRdr (08-12-2018), rpoz06 (08-12-2018), ZishanM (08-12-2018)
RedDropTop
Instructor

Received 85 Likes on 41 Posts

Could they be lid shocks for when you open the back?
Bajaholic
Burning Brakes

Received 388 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by WICKEDFRC
Arctic White please?
Electon Blue w/ torch red interior for me, please!
Old 08-11-2018, 06:38 PM
FrankLP
Miles of Smiles
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 540 Likes on 365 Posts
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Stew24
Looking forward to seeing your work Stew. Until I see evidence of your ability, I (as well as anyone else) will have to assume that you have none.

As far as GM launching some sort of spur of the moment counter measure, well... I'm confident that GM's seven figure marketing budget/team have this pretty well in hand; their marketing plan is in motion. All this forum chatter and social media is a small part of their marketing strategy.

In regards to damaging their brand, I'm positive that it will take something far more significant than a few artists' renderings to damage their brand. Automotive brands like GM have to take very serious missteps to damage their brand. Typically these would be in the realm of quality and/safety issues, or major financial issues.

Lastly, true professionals offer more collegial, constructive feedback/suggestions. You might have more "success" if when you oppose something, you also propose something (ideas/improvements).
The following 3 users liked this post by FrankLP:
07MontyRed (08-11-2018), REZ1 (08-12-2018), RoketRdr (08-12-2018)
Old 08-11-2018, 06:54 PM
Glenn Quagmire
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 604 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteDiamond
I think there will be some top dog track version that boy racers will have to option with a stupid looking wing, just like current ZR1. I think we are looking at active aero and probably a nicely sized panel that raises with speed as others have done already. Still hoping that the boy racer mentality is gone.
You be funny. Tell that to the GT2RS, GT3RS, Performante, ACR, etc. owners. It’s a bit like saying I hope they do away with the narrow body peasant mentality. Superfluous,
The following users liked this post:
RoketRdr (08-12-2018)
Old 08-11-2018, 09:43 PM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,157 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenn Quagmire

You be funny. Tell that to the GT2RS, GT3RS, Performante, ACR, etc. owners. It’s a bit like saying I hope they do away with the narrow body peasant mentality. Superfluous,
Your absolutely right,
The beauty of Corvette is you can have it anyway you like...
Good chance they’ll continue with the same successful program for the C8.
Old 08-11-2018, 11:08 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Could this show a strut to lift the wing/spoiler? I have looked at that shape before and can't figure out what it could be other than a strut.

If it is... I figure there is a offset pivot bearing and cam mechanism that would allow the pistons to push up from the rear which would lift and tip the wing as required. With the right set up an engineering, this "could be a fairly simple/reliable mechanism. The strut...if it is, is quite stout and would be strong enough to withstand a lot of downforce I would imagine.

Engineers...please chime in...

Also note the odd step shown on the top surface of the deck. Why would this be here unless to allow a spoiler to nest there?

Last edited by firstvettesoon; 08-11-2018 at 11:09 PM.
Old 08-12-2018, 12:46 AM
Glenn Quagmire
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 604 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankLP
Looking forward to seeing your work Stew. Until I see evidence of your ability, I (as well as anyone else) will have to assume that you have none.
In fairness, he did say he’s an “artists” so I assume at some point, we’ll see something from one of his personalities🙃
RoketRdr (08-12-2018)
Old 08-12-2018, 02:31 AM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Received 495 Likes on 260 Posts
Default There is zero chance...

Originally Posted by CRABBYJ

Jury is out whether that sharp juncture intersection on the C8R will appear on the ME. I like FVS’s latest interpretation where those two scoop lines come together on ~45 deg with a slight curve upon intersecting point. More astatic and longer lasting as a design feature going forward IMO.

As to being ‘hideous’, I wouldn’t go that far. It does take me back to the first time on CF there was a number of negative posts when first seeing the C7 Competition Seats. I still can imagine that vision today wher they looked like a ‘Big Eyed Alien with a Head Ache’

Sorry but true, to me at least.

The C8 street will not vary in any significant, non-aero, way from the C8.R. And that includes the scoop.

Last edited by IronV; 08-12-2018 at 03:04 PM.
Old 08-12-2018, 09:54 AM
Ronstar
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 46 Posts

Why does the front fascia not match? Seems like that is one of the most recognizable parts of any car. Strange they would not have same front on C8and C8r like they have on the current cars
Old 08-12-2018, 11:27 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronstar
Why does the front fascia not match? Seems like that is one of the most recognizable parts of any car. Strange they would not have same front on C8and C8r like they have on the current cars
So that it would be an all new car?

Get notified of new replies

To C8.R spied testing in camo

Old 08-12-2018, 12:02 PM
Ronstar
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
So that it would be an all new car?
I don’t mean match c7 I mean match each other. The c8r fascia is different than the front of production car per the paint shop images and FVS renderings
Old 08-12-2018, 12:07 PM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

Could this show a strut to lift the wing/spoiler? I have looked at that shape before and can't figure out what it could be other than a strut.

If it is... I figure there is a offset pivot bearing and cam mechanism that would allow the pistons to push up from the rear which would lift and tip the wing as required. With the right set up an engineering, this "could be a fairly simple/reliable mechanism. The strut...if it is, is quite stout and would be strong enough to withstand a lot of downforce I would imagine.

Engineers...please chime in...

Also note the odd step shown on the top surface of the deck. Why would this be here unless to allow a spoiler to nest there?

? The angle of the mechanism suggests that the wing could push further back slightly beyond the rear of the car when it's in the up position then being un-noticed when flush in the down position?
We know that McLaren is over the top when it comes to active aerodynamics.. GM did have some leaks a few years ago about the active areo and we thought it was for the ZR1. Maybe the team will offer it on the faster versions and the base ME will be more like the McLaren 570S with no active aero..Tadge Juechter is the chief engineer, I say figure him out and maybe you can get a better handle on the direction of the new C8.

One section which I copied from the article below could suggest the new C8 ME is not going to have a starting MSRP over 100k. I still think it could be around 68 to 75k

? Ask to Tadge Juechter
Why do you think Corvette has been able to stay around for so long when the rest of the domestic auto industry has struggled?
It’s staying true to the mission of the car. Corvette has had its moments where it almost died. I don’t want it to seem like we’ve had a free ride the whole way. But if you look at other vehicles that are the successful long-term, they tend to stay true to their mission. They don’t try to wander off and be something they’re not. There are plenty of examples where cars tried to get bigger, or go from four passengers to two, or tried to migrate upmarket. They get cocky and think, “Wow, we could sell these things at a much higher price — let’s do an upscale version.” That doesn’t work. You have to stay true to what you are.

We could say going to an ME is a major change but it been talked about for over 30+ years. Is moving to an ME staying true well that is up for debate.

Two good reads 1st about Tage & 2nd about the C7 Race Car & the street car during development

https://www.gsb.stanford.edu/insight...ing-sports-car

Good read about C7 Race car and street car and development
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/c...-z06-and-c7-r/

Last edited by fasttoys; 08-12-2018 at 01:43 PM.
firstvettesoon (08-12-2018)
Old 08-12-2018, 12:25 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Ronstar

I don’t mean match c7 I mean match each other. The c8r fascia is different than the front of production car per the paint shop images and FVS renderings
My guess is that the R car has enhanced ground effects and front and rear splitters. You can see the canards on the front. Also seems to have some on the rear vents? Not sure why.

Last edited by firstvettesoon; 08-12-2018 at 12:44 PM.

Quick Reply: C8.R spied testing in camo