Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saw the C8 uncovered... wow

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 02:19 PM
vetteman41960
Burning Brakes

Received 1,051 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff V.
Like I said earlier, it really depends on what you make it out of and how tight your tolerances are. Even on the C7, there's a pretty big cost difference between a base, black 1LT interior and a loaded 3LT with carbon, leather covered everything, alcantara, memory functions, heated & cooled competition seats and color variations.

As good as the C7 interior is, Audi was doing stuff at least as nice 10 years ago. I'm so happy the interior is no longer the weak link on the Corvette, but they've still got to take it up another notch or two if they want to be on par with the Europeans. That won't be cheap.
Bingo! Let's hope GM finally move the mid engine upscale and offers an interior worthy of 100k plus car.

If the mid engine Zora comes in at a base of 70k then you will never get buyer for the highest performance models that come in over 150k but are stuck with switch gear and electronics design and built for a budget level 70k entry level Corvette.

I repeatedly said many time my hope is the C7 and C7.5 remain as the inexpensive 65kto 70k entry level Corvette and finally GM offer those of us who want and are willing to pay for a upscale interior with the high quality switch gear and premium leather and get rid of the plastic trim parts.

Then GM can justify a starting price in the 90k range and have a clear separation from C7 price point to mid engine Zora price point.

If those who want a 65k entry level price on the Zora be prepared that will spell the death of the front engine Covette.

GM will not have a front engine Vette and a mid engine Vett at the same price point. That make no sense .
Old 08-15-2018, 02:21 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,248 Likes on 6,038 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteman41960
If those who want a 65k entry level price on the Zora be prepared that will spell the death of the front engine Covette.

GM will not have a front engine Vette and a mid engine Vett at the same price point. That make no sense .
Exactly... that's what I want. A no-frills basic "Z51" manual trans ME C8 with a 500 horse "LT2" or whatever OHV motor.
The following users liked this post:
JerriVette (08-16-2018)
Old 08-15-2018, 03:05 PM
C5Driver
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
Exactly... that's what I want. A no-frills basic "Z51" manual trans ME C8 with a 500 horse "LT2" or whatever OHV motor.
I’m with you but I want an automatic transmission. Done!
Old 08-15-2018, 07:19 PM
Zerv02
Racer

Received 308 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
The mid-engine vehicle GM is coming out with will not boast a manual trans. DCT only.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:23 PM
black_valentine
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Zerv02
The mid-engine vehicle GM is coming out with will not boast a manual trans. DCT only.
Hi Zerv02. The way you carefully worded that makes it sound like this is not a Corvette. Can you elaborate at all?
Old 08-15-2018, 07:23 PM
Zerv02
Racer

Received 308 Likes on 95 Posts

Zerv02 without asking you to go into anymore detail about the interior I would like to ask if you felt that the materials used in the Mid engine Corvette are of a higher premium grade than what we find on the C7.

I am of the mind set that I hope the C7 lives on as entry level Corvette priced at what seems to be a comfort level for many on this forum of 65 to 70k

It's my hope that the mid engine hopefully named the Zora will have much better material quality on the interior and start similarly price like the 911 in the low 90k range up to 175k for the mid engine version of the ZR1.

I hate that a my 130k Z06 z07 Callaway SC 757 has the exact same 3lt interior as a base Stingray that cost 70k. Plus the leather quality on the comp.seats in the C7 is poor.

I would like your thought on the quality of the interior material in comparison to the C7. I am really hoping GM stepped up and finally give us the option to purchase a Corvette with interior equal to German counter parts.

I do not expect level of materials like I have in my 458 but an Audi or Porsche level of materials and switch gear would be nice to see and help justify a 90k entry level price.
Two different cars....... but, absolutely, Porsche was the benchmark for engineering this car, very premium feel. 65-70K figure that is being thrown around in these threads has got to go, however.

Last edited by Zerv02; 08-15-2018 at 07:24 PM.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:27 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Bingo! Let's hope GM finally move the mid engine upscale and offers an interior worthy of 100k plus car.
Sounds like a Cadillac solution.

Old 08-15-2018, 07:27 PM
black_valentine
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

This isn't a new Corvair Monza GT, is it? Back in the early 60s, Chevrolet introduced a mid-engine concept that looked very similar in styling to a C3 (before the Mako Shark II was even shown): the Chevrolet Corvair Monza GT. Is it possible that this new ME is actually a Corvair Monza GT to be sold along side the FE Corvette?

Last edited by black_valentine; 08-15-2018 at 07:44 PM.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:53 PM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

Zerv02 without asking you to go into anymore detail about the interior I would like to ask if you felt that the materials used in the Mid engine Corvette are of a higher premium grade than what we find on the C7.

I am of the mind set that I hope the C7 lives on as entry level Corvette priced at what seems to be a comfort level for many on this forum of 65 to 70k

It's my hope that the mid engine hopefully named the Zora will have much better material quality on the interior and start similarly price like the 911 in the low 90k range up to 175k for the mid engine version of the ZR1.

I hate that a my 130k Z06 z07 Callaway SC 757 has the exact same 3lt interior as a base Stingray that cost 70k. Plus the leather quality on the comp.seats in the C7 is poor.

I would like your thought on the quality of the interior material in comparison to the C7. I am really hoping GM stepped up and finally give us the option to purchase a Corvette with interior equal to German counter parts.

I do not expect level of materials like I have in my 458 but an Audi or Porsche level of materials and switch gear would be nice to see and help justify a 90k entry level price.
First let me say I love all sports cars before I get blasted and had a C7 Z51,C7 Z06, C5 Z06 and a few other corvettes back in my day.
Vetteman, Since you own a 458 can you please comment to all the forum members why no one on Ferrari Chat are talking about the Corvette ME. I have owned many exotic cars and many of my Lamborghini, Audi R8,Ferrari, Mclaren and Porsche friends don’t even know the car is coming out and don’t care. I would say 90% of them will never move over and leave Ferrari for a overpriced Chevrolet at 169k plus regardless of performance. Those that feel this will happen have never owned a Ferrari or another exotic it’s truly that different. I know my Z06 could beat my previous 430 Ferrari , Audi R8 all day long but it’s not all about the performance. If GM decides to creates a Halo car that is north of 169k they will have a hard time selling many of them regardless how nice the exterior and interior will be under the Chevrolet name. My Audii RS5 interior is a lot better than my Z06 even though the C7 is much better than my c5 Z06. Cadillac has the nicest interiors in GM lineup and still is years behind their European competition. They have advanced tremendously and I love the American brands but my friends don’t even care about the new ME and rather talk about their GT3 RS and other cars.

Last edited by fasttoys; 08-15-2018 at 08:20 PM.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:06 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

Originally Posted by fasttoys

First let me say I love all sports cars before I get blasted and had a C7 Z51 and Z06 and a few other corvettes back in my day.
Vetteman, Since you own a 458 can you please comment to all the forum members why no one on Ferrari Chat are talking about the Corvette ME. I have owned many exotic cars and many of my Lamborghini, Audi R8,Ferrari, Mclaren and Porsche friends don’t even know the car is coming out and don’t care. I would say 90% of them will never move over and leave Ferrari for a overpriced Chevrolet at 169k plus regardless of performance. Those that feel this will happen have never owned a Ferrari or another exotic it’s truly that different. I know my Z06 could beat my previous 430 Ferrari all day long but it’s not all about the performance. If GM decides to creates a Halo car that is north of 169k they will have a hard time selling many of them regardless how nice the exterior and interior will be. My Audii RS5 interior is a lot better than my Z06 even though it was much better than my c5 Z06. Cadillac has the nicest interiors in GM lineup and still is years behind their European competition. They have advanced tremendously and I love the American brands but my friends don’t even care about the new ME and rather talk about their GT3 RS and other cars.
This, right here, is why the car will not debut at Pebble Beach

Old 08-15-2018, 08:34 PM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Received 495 Likes on 260 Posts
Default ME Corvette? What ME Corvette?

Since you own a 458 can you please comment to all the forum members why no one on Ferrari Chat are talking about the Corvette ME. I have owned many exotic cars and many of my Lamborghini, Audi R8,Ferrari, Mclaren and Porsche friends don’t even know the car is coming out and don’t care... I know my Z06 could beat my previous 430 Ferrari , Audi R8 all day long...
I've had the same experience. My Ferrari and Porsche buddies are mute on the subject. I can tell you why they don't want to talk about the ME. And why they've been increasingly reluctant to talk about Corvettes at all since the C6 Z06. And you'd think that with all the press the new ZR1 has gotten, they'd have to have some kind of opinion. Nope. Crickets.

It's ALL about performance. And they're getting tired of having their exotic asses handed to them by FE Corvettes that cost one third to one half what their cars cost.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:45 PM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Jeff V.
This, right here, is why the car will not debut at Pebble Beach
Why I believe the ME is not a 169k Halo car.

? Ask to Tadge Juechter
Why do you think Corvette has been able to stay around for so long when the rest of the domestic auto industry has struggled?
Answer:
It’s staying true to the mission of the car. Corvette has had its moments where it almost died. I don’t want it to seem like we’ve had a free ride the whole way. But if you look at other vehicles that are the successful long-term, they tend to stay true to their mission. They don’t try to wander off and be something they’re not. There are plenty of examples where cars tried to get bigger, or go from four passengers to two, or tried to migrate upmarket. They get cocky and think, “Wow, we could sell these things at a much higher price — let’s do an upscale version.” That doesn’t work. You have to stay true to what you are.

Tadge Juechter, Corvette's chief engineer about corvette and the above comment
Article:
https://www.gsb.stanford.edu/insight...ing-sports-car
The following 2 users liked this post by fasttoys:
-vet (08-17-2018), NewYuriCity (08-16-2018)
Old 08-15-2018, 08:50 PM
vetteman41960
Burning Brakes

First let me say I love all sports cars before I get blasted and had a C7 Z51,C7 Z06, C5 Z06 and a few other corvettes back in my day.
Vetteman, Since you own a 458 can you please comment to all the forum members why no one on Ferrari Chat are talking about the Corvette ME. I have owned many exotic cars and many of my Lamborghini, Audi R8,Ferrari, Mclaren and Porsche friends don’t even know the car is coming out and don’t care. I would say 90% of them will never move over and leave Ferrari for a overpriced Chevrolet at 169k plus regardless of performance. Those that feel this will happen have never owned a Ferrari or another exotic it’s truly that different. I know my Z06 could beat my previous 430 Ferrari , Audi R8 all day long but it’s not all about the performance. If GM decides to creates a Halo car that is north of 169k they will have a hard time selling many of them regardless how nice the exterior and interior will be under the Chevrolet name. My Audii RS5 interior is a lot better than my Z06 even though the C7 is much better than my c5 Z06. Cadillac has the nicest interiors in GM lineup and still is years behind their European competition. They have advanced tremendously and I love the American brands but my friends don’t even care about the new ME and rather talk about their GT3 RS and other cars.
I will say this much. While I do not think that the average guy who owns a Ferrari will cross shop a Chevrolet Corvette against a 488 or 812 Superfast I do think many of us would be interested to add a GM produced mid engine sports car to use as a daily driver provided it has significant upgrade to the interior over the current C7.

I know I plan to add the Mid Engine and park it next to the 458 and my Callaway SC757. I will still use my 18 High Country as a daily but would be more inclined to drive the Zora more often than on a sunny weekend only kind of use.

I think there are Ferrari and Lamborghini owners that would buy the mid engine as an addition to the stable of cars.

One thing you find is Ferrari owners are their cars are driving only on nice weekend and have few miles out in them. I don't know a single Ferrari owner in my area that daily drives their Ferrari.

I would rather put a bunch of miles on GM rear mid engine than on my Ferrari for depreciation concerns with a high milage Ferrari experience .

In addition I know that the maintenance cost of the C8 will be significantly less that a Ferrari.

Maintenance is free for 7 year with Ferrari except for wear item, but I still think guys will buy the C8 and drive more frequently and not worry if it get a stone chip or your caught out in a rain storm.

Corvette performance has never been the issue with guys who like exotic cars.

Corvette down fall has alway been the interior quality and the use of plastic parts in the interior.

I hope the mid engine moves upstream and the interior will be what it should be in a 100k plus car and be void of hard plastic surfaces.

I hope that GM does not target some artificial low entry price below 90k and hit that target by using poor quality leather and switch gear. If that happens you will not see very many Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, Audi owners add the C8 to there garage.

Last edited by vetteman41960; 08-15-2018 at 09:16 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by vetteman41960:
dreamr616 (08-15-2018), fasttoys (08-15-2018)
Old 08-15-2018, 09:02 PM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by IronV
I've had the same experience. My Ferrari and Porsche buddies are mute on the subject. I can tell you why they don't want to talk about the ME. And why they've been increasingly reluctant to talk about Corvettes at all since the C6 Z06. And you'd think that with all the press the new ZR1 has gotten, they'd have to have some kind of opinion. Nope. Crickets.

It's ALL about performance. And they're getting tired of having their exotic asses handed to them by FE Corvettes that cost one third to one half what their cars cost.
We can agree to disagree. Maybe the track focused group car owners but not the majority of the exotic buyers can careless. Give me a Ford GT and 30 grand and I can beat many cars on the road today. At the end of the day it’s a Ford GT with 30 grand of performance parts on it. It’s not about the performance it’s about the entire experience. My friend has a La, Ferrari and many other crazy exotics I bet the new ZR1 can beat many of his cars and he doesn’t care and he races all over the USA. The corvette has always been successful because it been the affordable two seat sports car that can kick the A of many of the exotics that cost double the entry price. ( lol 70k to 130k plus is affordable well for some)
Why would GM throw that winning formula out the window it’s the secret sauce to compete with a new platform (mid-engine) to come in at a price point that is 169k plus. IMO their is No need it’s better to come in lower starting MSRP in the 70”s and shock the world. Because the Ferrari guys are not getting rid of their Ferrari”s for the new 169k plus ME.

Last edited by fasttoys; 08-15-2018 at 09:24 PM.
Larshelt (08-16-2018)
Old 08-15-2018, 09:09 PM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

I will say this much. While I do not think that the average guy who owns a Ferrari will cross shop a Chevrolet Corvette against a 488 or 812 Superfast I do think many of us would be interested to add a GM produced mid engine sports car to use as a daily driver provided it has significant upgrade to the interior over the current C7.

I know I plan to add the Mid Engine and park it next to the 458 and my Callaway SC757. I will still use my 18 High Country as a daily but would be more inclined to drive the Zora more often than on a sunny weekend only kind of use.

I think there are Ferrari and Lamborghini owners that would buy the mid engine as an addition to the stable of cars.

One thing you find is Ferrari owners are their cars are driving only on nice weekend and have few miles out in them. I don't know a single Ferrari owner in my area that daily drives their Ferrari.

I would rather put a bunch of miles on GM rear mid engine than on my Ferrari for depreciation concerns with a high milage Ferrari experience .

In addition I know that the maintenance cost of the C8 will be significantly less that a Ferrari.

Maintenance is free for 7 year with Ferrari except for wear item, but I still think guys will buy the C8 and drive more frequently and not worry if it get a stone chip or your caught out in a rain storm.

Corvette down fall has alway been the interior quality and the use of plastic parts in the interior.

I hope the mid engine moves upstream and the interior will be what it should be in a 100k plus car and be void of hard plastic surfaces.

I hope that GM does not target some artificial low entry price below 90k and hit that target by using poor quality leather and switch gear. If that happen you want so many Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, Audi owners add the C8 to there garage.
Well said, many will buy them as additional car. I will have a 458 in the garage in a few years the last of the n/a Ferrari”s The 488 is a great car with more low end power but I don’t like the sound.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:13 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,952 Likes on 1,378 Posts

I hope that GM does not target some artificial low entry price below 90k and hit that target by using poor quality leather and switch gear. If that happen you want so many Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, Audi owners add the C8 to there garage.
I don't see any reason why the Corvette can't hit the price target of $60K with a nice interior. Porsche is already under this target with the Cayman, and that interior is nice. You can make it really nice if you want to spend the extra money on options.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:59 PM
vetteman41960
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Michael A
I don't see any reason why the Corvette can't hit the price target of $60K with a nice interior. Porsche is already under this target with the Cayman, and that interior is nice. You can make it really nice if you want to spend the extra money on options.
So you want Gm to be able to build a Corvette with rear mid engine V8 and all the new tech with DCT transmission and also have a quality interior without hard plastic surfaces and with high quality leather and swift gear with no fake aluminum or carbon trim and you want to buy it for 60k.

What I just described there is not a single car on the on the market that can be purchased for anything less than the 130k plus range. That being the Audi R8 base. After that your looking at 190k plus and you want all that for 60k. Lol

Get notified of new replies

To Saw the C8 uncovered... wow

Old 08-15-2018, 10:04 PM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Michael A
Porsche spreads the cost of its shared interior parts across the entire brand. GM has beat up their suppliers to a point and got away with poorer quality interior and that journey to turn it around takes some time. They have done an incredible job moving forward compared to the BS that was in the late 90”s and early 2000s. I think this new ME will be much better than the C7 just knowing the state of GM financially compared to when they were developing the C7 (Bankruptcy). The dollars from finance to work on the new ME should be substantially more than the C7. The C7 was going to be a ME Bob Lutz said it on Autoline and they had two prototypes but scraped them because of the GM bankruptcy. This is another reason the new ME is the new C7 replacement, time will tell who is correct. Remember when we think of Mid-engine cars we think exotic and higher price that alone makes us think no way GM could pull it off. The high tech NSX can’t sell any of their cars that’s with discounting to 135k that is 30 to 55k off MSRP, GM doesn’t want to go down that road. Come back to these post and blast away if I am wrong.

Last edited by fasttoys; 08-15-2018 at 10:10 PM.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:20 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,488 Likes on 1,950 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

So, not to be argumentative, but how do you explain FORD. It's "just a Ford" after all, which was called a GT. It sold out the first time around in the mid-2000's and it's doing the same this time around, right? Yeh, it's a $200K, $300K, $400K car, but "we" don't want that, do we? But those same Ferrari, Lambo, McLar., P-car, etc. owners---are they leaving "dead air" and nothing but crickets when it comes to the Ford GT? I don't think so.

I do think it'll be a hard sell for a $170K Corvette ME, though. What I can see is, "continuous improvement" which is exactly what Corvette has been doing since the C5 began in '97. Not everything is right re cooling. Not everything is right in the interior. Not everything is right re the transmission. The list goes on. But the real "leaps" in quality, ingenuity, options, genuine attempts to exceed and excel have been made.

I don't think the crowd that will, or wants to buy an ME Corvette requires and won't buy one if it doesn't have the most-"bestest" interior which is comparable to any sports car in the world---at a price tag which is also comparable. Because it may not sell at that price point. Ford did it, but maybe not Chevrolet, no matter how much we call it a Corvette, a Zora, or an ME. jmo

Old 08-15-2018, 10:37 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Received 647 Likes on 510 Posts

ford gt is in a whole other realm, always has been, always will be... limited production.

Amazing body and lines.

Chevy would have to come out with a whole separate frame and body to have anything close to that car in uniqueness.

Ford gt is a bad comparison
fasttoys (08-16-2018)

Quick Reply: Saw the C8 uncovered... wow