Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saw the C8 uncovered... wow

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 12:51 AM
vetteman41960
Burning Brakes

Received 1,051 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikec7z
i have been told by sources that I cant disclose, that there will be a front engine c8

I have been told, and in simple common sense convo, the other person and I agreed GM will not tell the masses about the front engine c8 because then they will have a HARDER time selling the c7s

I have stated this before, and created a thread about this very topic.

I have been told I AM WRONG over and over by many people on this forum about the front engine c8.

To the people who boldly say YOU ARE WRONG...

i say, "then bet me". If you are so sure of something to insult someone as "being wrong" and so sure since you have "30 years in the car biz"... then .... make some money off of my stupidity. Bet me.

I'm willing to bet money on it, they aren't and get mad. They want me to give out my secret sources... NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN. EVER.

The end.
Mike
I am not sure anyone on the forum knows if GM will roll out a C7.5 and carry forward with Front engine GT platform.

It's my opinion that GM would be taking a big risk going strictly to a mid engine platform and discontinued the formula that has worked pretty well since 1953.

My hope is that GM keeps build a front engine GT platform as an entry level Vette and that the Mid engine is slotted above the C7 as the high performance modela

That way GM could offer a Vette for everyone budget and personal preference in a sports car.

​​​​​​Front engine GT starting at 60k with maybe a GS starting around 70k.

Then above that the Z06 rear mid engine replacement starting at 90k and of course a zr1 top dog Zora starting at 130k and going up from there.

If GM does that you got pricing from 60k upto 150k plus. More importantly a offering for the front GT car guys and the mid engine performance car for the guys like me that want the performance as I use it as a occasionally toy on the weekend and don't daily drive my sport cars .

I think to update the LT1 and redesign the body panel but keep the same chassis is something GM could do that won't cost the billion dollars that are rumored to cost to develop the Zora.

I can can wish . I just hope that there will.be a HTC with a FCT and Dohc with 550hp when they do release the car for sale.

White with red guts and machined face wheels.

I am ready to order right now!!!
Old 08-19-2018, 01:11 AM
Zerv02
Racer

Received 308 Likes on 95 Posts

That's enough, back to the car.

Any opinions on the rumored hard top system in the spyder? Seems like a waste of weight to me, im guessing the spyder will look somewhat like the 488, no?

The following users liked this post:
firstvettesoon (08-19-2018)
Old 08-19-2018, 01:23 AM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by Zerv02
That's enough, back to the car.

Any opinions on the rumored hard top system in the spyder? Seems like a waste of weight to me, im guessing the spyder will look somewhat like the 488, no?

yes. I believe there is consensus that the ME will be offered in a hard top convertible similar to the 488 and McLaren designs

some of the IVER images show some detail of the buttress design and we can assume some similar venting/intakes on the rear deck
Old 08-19-2018, 02:34 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

CorvettoBrando (08-21-2018)
Old 08-19-2018, 04:46 AM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Received 647 Likes on 510 Posts

the real reason i came in here was to test this zerv guy, see if he would place a bet AGAINST a headlight shape, let alone denounce a headlight shape, or confirm a headlight shape... OR prove he has no clue about the shape when someone else insinuates they know for sure what the shape is... and see if he could argue strongly in either direction, let alone draw a picture. You guys dont see what i was doing apparently, and jumped me instead of the fake im trying to expose.

To the rest of you, you are fine. This zerv guy annoys me, because he speaks definitively, and instead of let me prove he either works for GM or is a fake... by confirming or denouncing a basic outline to a headlight shape that a 5 year old would remember a month later...

i get clobbered by people telling me about their 30 years in the car biz and why GM doesn't care if dealers sell corvettes starting tomorrow, and thats when i just have to sit back and admire the intelligence levels in these threads.

You guys missed the point of what i was doing, and why i was doing it. This zerv guy is a joke imo. But so are a few others, so I guess you are all fit for each other... have fun.

I really am out this time. Zerv nor vetteman deserve anymore of my time. Its a shame zerv didnt bet against a simple headlight shape he should have KNOWN was false, if it is false He proved he doesn't have a clue about the headlights.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:06 AM
Quinten33
Burning Brakes

Received 536 Likes on 238 Posts

Old 08-19-2018, 07:18 AM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

Can we get back to the ME?

Last edited by fasttoys; 08-19-2018 at 08:49 AM.
Old 08-19-2018, 08:18 AM
zhopper05
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts
2015 C7 of Year Finalist

Default It's about the emblem

Originally Posted by Zerv02
Hello Zhopper05, I didnt ignore your question, gave an answer already but due to the high amount of posts in this thread, you may have missed it. I will repost it below

quote'

"Corvette forum members have the patience of a gnat. This thread got dragged out way to far... 300+ posts?"

Time to end it.

There will be three models of the new C8 unveiled this year, whenever that is, I'm fairly certain no one will see anything until press day in Detroit, 2019. Yes, it's a Corvette. Not a Cadillac, not a limited halo model. It's the next generation C8 Corvette.

Models are as follows:
C8 Coupe: I haven't seen this variant, so just off of pure speculation and from what I've seen on the HP variant I estimate the starting MSRP for this model at 100k.
C8 Spyder: Same ^, tag on an additional 5-10k, so 110K
C8 Zora: For the price,totally ***** on any entry Lambo or Ferrari out there, (just my opinion, don't start flaming me). This is the model I saw. 85% sure this will start at $169,900
Pays homage to Zora Duntov, the car is larger than you think. Like I said a few posts up, if you were comparing it to the lambo's, it would be similar to the Aventador in terms of size as opposed to the huracan. Quality car. Basically, this model is what the Z06 is to the C7 stingray. Not sure why they would release this at the same time as the Base coup and spider. You would think they would wait at least 2 years, but its already finished.
C8 E?: Pure speculation, but I'm sure we will see a range-topping limited 1000 hp+ hybrid combo at the end of the C8's cycle, I'm guessing 2023-24? 250k+

I think production for the FE will seize by 2020. No facelifted model. That's it, that's the end of the FE.
Zerv02. Thanks for taking the time to explain to us again what you know about the different models. I was , however, simply referring to and interested in the logo design . If you didn't see a logo on the indentation in steering wheel , perhaps , you can at least draw the outline of the indentation or zoom in at other areas of the interior where potentially the logo is shown and tell us what it looks like (I e. is it a V Cross flag, an oval, circle etc...). To date , no one knows what the C8 logo looks like . You may have Breaking News info, without getting anyone in trouble.

Last edited by zhopper05; 08-19-2018 at 08:19 AM.
Old 08-19-2018, 08:41 AM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,753 Likes on 4,182 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Default WARNING to all....

I'm reading the latest on this thread and trying to clean up the BS and the pissing match and said to myself, "Why?"

Everyone....you are dangerously close to having this thread closed. If you can't stay on topic and quit the BS, why even have this thread?

Consider this a Warning to everyone. Any more off topic and BS after my post, we'll just close the thread and pass out late Summer vacations.

The following 6 users liked this post by Steve Garrett:
ByByBMW (08-19-2018), CorvettoBrando (08-19-2018), dreamr616 (08-20-2018), JDSKY (08-20-2018), MikeG37 (08-19-2018), SpeedyD (08-20-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-19-2018, 10:03 AM
bigblock427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,347 Likes on 1,058 Posts

I never can understand why "adults" on the forum get in a bitch fest about anything and everything Having rational discussions about common interests would be nice.
The following 4 users liked this post by bigblock427:
CorvettoBrando (08-19-2018), JDSKY (08-20-2018), Steve Garrett (08-19-2018), sunsalem (08-19-2018)
Old 08-19-2018, 11:04 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,761 Likes on 3,177 Posts

Steven, for the sake of an awesome (99% of it) thread PLEASE just eliminate the nonsense and leave this one open.. this is the most time i have spent in this section of the forum since its inception lol...

PS. just think about all the NEW speculation after next weekend!! gonna have to get one of the GM Engineers drunk enough to give it up??

As for FE v ME --- i trust Mike Furman, and several other KNOWN big shots, when they say the FE car will be built alongside of the ME car for some time -- because once they go ME? there's no turning back... and after 2 or 3 years when the hype of something DIFFERENT slows down they will know where they stand.. and it's for that reason I strongly believe they are going to do a C7.5 or C8 FE car because why not? think C5 to C6 not C6 to C7...

keeping both cars FE and ME (Ala Ferrari...) they can either continue with the next gen ME car or if it doesn't work the way they thought (Fiero) it becomes a high end only car.... GM has to maintain some 2 seater corvette for the mainstream. they just sell too many no matter what discount you see.. it's still plenty profitable to this company in a variety of ways imo (advertising / hype / maintenance / continuity, etc..

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 08-19-2018 at 01:23 PM.
alienranch (08-20-2018)
Old 08-19-2018, 11:18 AM
Chrisrokc
Drifting

Received 170 Likes on 58 Posts

I just don’t see the ME costing north of 90k base with the LT1 or similar.

That price range has me going to Porsche over Corvette.

Guess we will see. My source in the engineering side of things didn’t not mention a FE model. Just ME. Doesn’t mean there isn’t though.

Last edited by Chrisrokc; 08-19-2018 at 11:18 AM.
Old 08-19-2018, 11:44 AM
Kodiak Bear
Drifting

Received 715 Likes on 427 Posts

Interesting engineering challenge to be able to build a FE and ME on the same production line. As I understand the suggestion it's done by establishing a "cab" module for the driver/passanger module and then hanging different modules on the front and rear for each type. If the resulting wheel base and necessary manufacturing hard points are the same, it seems buildable. But that leaves the question of the car itself, everything from driving dynamics to asthestics.

It would be facinating for me to see it done. Is anyone aware if any other car company does so? I don't believe either Porsche or Ferrari do so.

As for development of the FE, the FE cars seen in camo caravans could easily accomodate the necessary cars.

The real problem is the engineering resources necessary to evolve a continuation of the FE, while developing an entire new ME.

As for marketing, remeber Z himself said the sports car had to have a racing "history" or it wasn;t a sports car. So what do you do with the FE if you're racing the ME?

Exciting times.
Old 08-19-2018, 11:52 AM
vettedna
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Kodiak Bear
Interesting engineering challenge to be able to build a FE and ME on the same production line. As I understand the suggestion it's done by establishing a "cab" module for the driver/passanger module and then hanging different modules on the front and rear for each type. If the resulting wheel base and necessary manufacturing hard points are the same, it seems buildable. But that leaves the question of the car itself, everything from driving dynamics to asthestics.

It would be facinating for me to see it done. Is anyone aware if any other car company does so? I don't believe either Porsche or Ferrari do so.

As for development of the FE, the FE cars seen in camo caravans could easily accomodate the necessary cars.

The real problem is the engineering resources necessary to evolve a continuation of the FE, while developing an entire new ME.

As for marketing, remeber Z himself said the sports car had to have a racing "history" or it wasn;t a sports car. So what do you do with the FE if you're racing the ME?

Exciting times.
If im correct Lamborghini did this with the V12 Miura/Espada maybe Jarama, too. But they did many things on the same chassis
Old 08-19-2018, 11:57 AM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

I don't comprehend the idea that "GM is abandoning it's heritage' with a ME car. The heritage is a bad *** sports car at a cost that many can afford. That's the heritage. 80% of Corvette owners don't even change their oil for gosh sakes. What do they car about where the engine is beyond all the magazines calling it an Italian Supercar killer? That's what will sell the thing.

As far as you diagram guys, Heck I've been seeing the C7 around for 4+ years now and truly doubt I could sketch the headlights with any accuracy.

If I were able to view the C8 ME for 3 minutes, I'd be able to determine if I like the shape, but totally incapable of sketching or relaying it's shape accurately.

~ take care

Last edited by Suns_PSD; 08-19-2018 at 11:58 AM.
Old 08-19-2018, 11:58 AM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by Kodiak Bear

Exciting times.
Good questions. The question of how could they build both platforms at the same time. I think it has been reported that GM is actually producing ME‘s on the C7 production line as a test, as we speak. At least for a few days of the week/month Not knowing any better, I see no reason that this could not continue for real production if they so desired.

I also understand from other posts from people with better knowledge, that the FE will be produced until 2020 which means the two cars will be produced side by side at least for a limited time.

This leaves the question of marketing. Can GM market both cars simultaneously. I was always of the mind that the two cars would not compete as far as purpose goes/ Head to head.

Ferrari does produce both varieties and is very successful, although as you ask, not sure if they race a front engine car. But does this mean Ferrari front engine cars are not sports cars?

Last edited by firstvettesoon; 08-19-2018 at 12:05 PM.
Old 08-19-2018, 12:28 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,984 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrisrokc
I just don’t see the ME costing north of 90k base with the LT1 or similar.

That price range has me going to Porsche over Corvette.

Guess we will see. My source in the engineering side of things didn’t not mention a FE model. Just ME. Doesn’t mean there isn’t though.
I would take a Corvette over Porsche even if it costs more. And I'm talking about the C7....we don't even know just how much better and desirable the C8 might be? I can't wait!!
91ZR1 (08-19-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Saw the C8 uncovered... wow

Old 08-19-2018, 12:39 PM
vetteman41960
Burning Brakes

Received 1,051 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458
I would take a Corvette over Porsche even if it costs more. And I'm talking about the C7....we don't even know just how much better and desirable the C8 might be? I can't wait!!
Dave I agree I think that the Zora will be an incredible value. I think GM is going to give us Porsche quality on the interior and near Porsche 911 Turbo performance and do it for entry level 911 money.

Everyone talks about Corvette heritage. Well the heritage from the C7 is give the customer a fair price for entry level then let them option up the car to their desired level and still undercut the comp on price and meet or exceed the comps performance.

I honestly think has the C7 had just a another 1k in interior improvements and loose the hard plastic from lower interior and cargo area and replace with a soft touch material and even more importantly have offered a DCT Trans that the C7 would have won over many more Porsche & MB & Audi buyer's.

It my hope that those 2 weak points are fixed in the Zora and we have a world class interior and a DCT Trans and GM will still be on par or better performance wise and will finally offer an interior that belongs in a 100k car.
91ZR1 (08-19-2018)
Old 08-19-2018, 01:02 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,984 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteman41960
Dave I agree I think that the Zora will be an incredible value. I think GM is going to give us Porsche quality on the interior and near Porsche 911 Turbo performance and do it for entry level 911 money.

Everyone talks about Corvette heritage. Well the heritage from the C7 is give the customer a fair price for entry level then let them option up the car to their desired level and still undercut the comp on price and meet or exceed the comps performance.

I honestly think has the C7 had just a another 1k in interior improvements and loose the hard plastic from lower interior and cargo area and replace with a soft touch material and even more importantly have offered a DCT Trans that the C7 would have won over many more Porsche & MB & Audi buyer's.

It my hope that those 2 weak points are fixed in the Zora and we have a world class interior and a DCT Trans and GM will still be on par or better performance wise and will finally offer an interior that belongs in a 100k car.
^^^ I agree! Put a few more $$$ in the interior and overall car and shut up all the critics. A small % of people don't care or even know what good quality is but I would say most people do and appreciate it and would pay a little more for it.
Old 08-19-2018, 01:22 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,753 Likes on 4,182 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
Steven, for the sake of an awesome (99% of it) thread PLEASE just eliminate the nonsense and leave this one open.. this is the most time i have spent in this section of the forum since its inception lol...

PS. just think about all the NEW speculation after next weekend!! gonna have to get one of the GM Engineers drunk enough to give it up??

Gentlemen, that is completely up to all of you! Keep it clean, keep it on-topic and this thread will continue.
The following 3 users liked this post by Steve Garrett:
07MontyRed (08-19-2018), ByByBMW (08-19-2018), elegant (08-19-2018)

Quick Reply: Saw the C8 uncovered... wow