Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question-Why would someone just not buy a Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 01:44 PM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Staged tests with race tires. Fastlaps is a regurgitation of marketing. Car magazines are marketing.
Looking at the numbers, extrapolating the race tire factors and following the German forum discussions with real owners and real nurb times
Stock GT2RS is at same level/worse than competition (not just ZR1).

Sorry but time and factual critical reading have a way to clear the marketing smoke and mirrors...
Old 10-23-2018, 02:18 PM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Originally Posted by Telepierre
Staged tests with race tires. Fastlaps is a regurgitation of marketing. Car magazines are marketing.
Looking at the numbers, extrapolating the race tire factors and following the German forum discussions with real owners and real nurb times
Stock GT2RS is at same level/worse than competition (not just ZR1).

Sorry but time and factual critical reading have a way to clear the marketing smoke and mirrors...
Then, please, display some facts. I provided links to REAL lap times and comparisons not just speculation. Can you do the same?
Old 10-23-2018, 03:42 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by Sub Driver
There is nothing marginal about it. The GT2RS demolishes the ZR1 in every comparison and track contest. It is faster at VIR, Laguna Seca, Willow Springs, and don't forget the Nurburgring. The car just plain outclasses the ZR1 and isn't even in the same league of performance.
http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/laguna-seca-post-1988
http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/willow-springs
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/pors...on-power-down/
https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...inglap2018cars
For $200K, not all that much difference in my view.

Really, it’s the Z06 that’s the true performance bargain at real world pricing...

Last edited by Rapid Fred; 10-23-2018 at 03:43 PM.
Old 10-23-2018, 03:46 PM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Received 1,039 Likes on 554 Posts

Isn't it kind of well known that the ZR1 is a real handful on a track? The weight distribution makes it too difficult to put all it's power down, as Mark Reuss exhibited all to well when he crashed one at the Detroit Grand Prix.

Last edited by Zaro Tundov; 10-23-2018 at 03:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
PurpleLion (10-23-2018)
Old 10-23-2018, 04:01 PM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Done a long time ago. Links to weights, strips, Porsche record statements and retractions from Lars Kern in reference to the Michelin CUP 2 R FIASCO.

Look up my handle/posts and confute on the spot if you can.

Good luck and enjoy fatslaps.
CorvettoBrando (10-26-2018)
Old 10-23-2018, 04:58 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by Atomic Fred

Really, it’s the Z06 that’s the true performance bargain at real world pricing...

Old 10-23-2018, 05:00 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Zaro Tundov
Isn't it kind of well known that the ZR1 is a real handful on a track? The weight distribution makes it too difficult to put all it's power down, as Mark Reuss exhibited all to well when he crashed one at the Detroit Grand Prix.
Randy Pobst has also made that observation.
Old 10-23-2018, 05:21 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Done a long time ago. Links to weights, strips, Porsche record statements and retractions from Lars Kern in reference to the Michelin CUP 2 R FIASCO.

Look up my handle/posts and confute on the spot if you can.

Good luck and enjoy fatslaps.
The one thing I DID find on fastlaps was the record the GT2 RS set with Lars Kern as the driver.
Plus a bunch of other articles, all referring to Kerns as the driver as well as articles stating Porsche did not use track only tires. Happy to post those if you want.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:35 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by Sub Driver
There is nothing marginal about it. The GT2RS demolishes the ZR1 in every comparison and track contest. It is faster at VIR, Laguna Seca, Willow Springs, and don't forget the Nurburgring. The car just plain outclasses the ZR1 and isn't even in the same league of performance.
Those two seconds at VIR cost you $100,000 each. Sorry, that's marginal.

Old 10-23-2018, 08:51 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

one year on...honestly this has been covered at length especially in Germany.
90% of marketing/magazine GT2RS tests have been conducted with stripped cars with race (non street) tires (see Nurb record).

When regularly equipped with stock features and stock tires the car comes back to earth...
For alI the track specific/ride inconvenient features the cars has, I seriously doubt a stock GT2RS has marginal better track performance than a equally equipped ZR1.
Depending on track and set up I bet you it is a 50/50.
You just pulling this stat out of your *** or do you have facts to prove this statement?

Once again another drunkard on Corvette Kool Aid can't admit that there actually is a car out there that out performs the best Corvette yet.

As far as the price difference between the Z and GT2, who exactly started this thread? Here's a hint, don't bring a knife to a gun fight, if you don't like the answer to the question don't ask the question in the first place, simple. If you wanna participate in a thread comparing a 911 to a Corvette be prepared to not like the facts, again, really simple.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:00 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by themonk
As far as the price difference between the Z and GT2, who exactly started this thread? Here's a hint, don't bring a knife to a gun fight, if you don't like the answer to the question don't ask the question in the first place, simple. If you wanna participate in a thread comparing a 911 to a Corvette be prepared to not like the facts, again, really simple.
For the price of one GT2 you could buy two ZR1s and still have enough left over to take them to an outfit like LG Motorsports, have a few mods done, and have two ZR1s that would make the GT2 finish third in a three-car race.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:57 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by jcsperson
For the price of one GT2 you could buy two ZR1s and still have enough left over to take them to an outfit like LG Motorsports, have a few mods done, and have two ZR1s that would make the GT2 finish third in a three-car race.
Price is irrelevant buddy, there are also cars that cost 3 times as much as the Z that aren't nearly as fast and modding cars doesn't count because anyone can mod a car.

Riddle me this, if you won Powerball, would you care about the price difference between a GT2 and ZR1 or would you just want performance? It's all a matter of perspective and I'll tell you this much, if I had Bill Gates money and could only have one or the other, I'm taking the GT2.

Last edited by themonk; 10-23-2018 at 09:59 PM.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:05 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 608 Posts

Price is irrelevant buddy, there are also cars that cost 3 times as much as the Z that aren't nearly as fast and modding cars doesn't count.

Riddle me this, if you won Powerball, would you care about the price difference between a GT2 and ZR1 or would you just want performance. It's all a matter of perspective and I'll tell you this much, if I had Bill Gates money and could only have one or the other, I'm taking the GT2.
Checkmate! People with money as no object may have a Corvette in the stable.....but they will also have cars in their stable that most of us can only read about! But I agree with your statement above.....and while performance is important.....that is only one facet of what defines a car. Car and Driver just did a test of several cars and the zr1 finished a ways back. It had a lot of trouble getting its power to the road and diminished its driving appeal as compared to some of the other cars in the test. I think the Z06 or Gran Sport are the two better C7’s. Just my opinion.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:09 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. ice

Checkmate! People with money as no object may have a Corvette in the stable.....but they will also have cars in their stable that most of us can only read about! But I agree with your statement above.....and while performance is important.....that is only one facet of what defines a car. Car and Driver just did a test of several cars and the zr1 finished a ways back. It had a lot of trouble getting its power to the road and diminished its driving appeal as compared to some of the other cars in the test. I think the Z06 or Gran Sport are the two better C7’s. Just my opinion.
just a heads up..at the end of every generation of corvettes the media always pans the last year of the vehicle in a comparison test.

then when the new generation arrives they can lay accolade after accolade on the latest and greatest corvette..

nothing new..its just what the auto journalists do...
Old 10-23-2018, 10:12 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette

just a heads up..at the end of every generation of corvettes the media always pans the last year of the vehicle in a comparison test.

then when the new generation arrives they can lay accolade after accolade on the latest and greatest corvette..

nothing new..its just what the auto journalists do...
It was per Randy Pobst!
Old 10-23-2018, 10:25 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. ice

It was per Randy Pobst!
yes it was and he works for motor trend.

point taken.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:15 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JerriVette

yes it was and he works for motor trend.

point taken.
Taking a quick look at his biography, I would say that the reality is Randy Pobst works WITH Motor Trend vice working for them. His professional record away from Motor Trend tells me this is just a way to stay in the car world and get to drive ALL the different cars that are available. So just what is your post saying?

By the way, this is a cut and past from his twitter page. "Motor Trend track tester, 90 pro road race wins plus. Porsche, Audi, Mazda and Volvo factory driver. But really, I'm a motorcycle man" Using your train of thought, he works for not only Motor Trend but also Porsche, Audi, Mazda and Volvo. And why do you suppose that is?

Last edited by ByByBMW; 10-23-2018 at 11:19 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Question-Why would someone just not buy a Porsche?

Old 10-23-2018, 11:25 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,156 Likes on 516 Posts

Originally Posted by ByByBMW
The one thing I DID find on fastlaps was the record the GT2 RS set with Lars Kern as the driver.
Plus a bunch of other articles, all referring to Kerns as the driver as well as articles stating Porsche did not use track only tires. Happy to post those if you want.
I was at the Motor Trend test. Porsche was using the special race rubber(non stock race rubber) that was also used on the Nurburgring run. The GT2 RS, 720S, and Lambo were all using their special rubber and the ZR1 was using their standard stock runflat tire. The ZR1 was the only one of the four cars using runflats in the test. Pobst also turned off the nannies on the ZR1 but left them on for the other three cars. Strange !!! Porsche's tires are not available for sale on the GT2 RS production car. They will evidently be available aftermarket in time. The whole test was strange in how they portrayed the outcome.

Last edited by skank; 10-23-2018 at 11:29 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by skank:
ArmchairArchitect (10-24-2018), CorvettoBrando (10-26-2018)
Old 10-23-2018, 11:28 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,156 Likes on 516 Posts

You just pulling this stat out of your *** or do you have facts to prove this statement?

Once again another drunkard on Corvette Kool Aid can't admit that there actually is a car out there that out performs the best Corvette yet.

Wake up Monk. Read my prior post.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:34 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by skank
I was at the Motor Trend test. Porsche was using the special race rubber(non stock race rubber) that was also used on the Nurburgring run. The GT2 RS, 720S, and Lambo were all using their special rubber and the ZR1 was using their standard stock runflat tire. The ZR1 was the only one of the four cars using runflats in the test. Pobst also turned off the nannies on the ZR1 but left them on for the other three cars. Strange !!! Porsche's tires are not available for sale on the GT2 RS production car. They will evidently be available aftermarket in time. The whole test was strange in how they portrayed the outcome.
This article, https://www.caradvice.com.au/587564/...ng-lap-record/ , has the VP of Porsche Motorsport saying otherwise.

Quick Reply: Question-Why would someone just not buy a Porsche?