Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question-Why would someone just not buy a Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 03:57 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

C7 z06 seems to be selling between 70 or 80 grand brand new..

thats about the price of the cayman or boxster...maybe the S model...

which would you rather have....?

its your money so each person gets to decide...
Old 12-21-2018, 03:57 PM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. ice

Always has and always will! Two beautiful cars!
Originally Posted by Foosh
It only matters if it matters to you. If equal performance is your measure, and performance is indeed equal, then the cheaper version is not inferior.
But that's part of the point, things are never equal. What is performance? Straight line? Around a track? Which track? Then there is ride comfort, looks, reliability, gas mileage, mod-abiliity, color options, practicality, uniqueness, cost of parts, the list goes on and on. There are thousands of factors that go into determining what makes one car better than the other. You can say things like a ZO6 is just as fast as a 911, ok fine, but it is an inferior car, the fact that it can keep up is one small factor. You get what you pay for, and that truth has always been there no matter the car. Camaros can keep up with a lot of Corvettes, but that doesn't mean they are equal.
Old 12-21-2018, 04:07 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

As I said, it's whatever definition a particular individual applies. That's all that matters. There is no objective measure of relative superiority.

The very fact that something is less costly can make a particular product vastly superior to many. Even though I could write a check for a new Ferrari, I couldn't look myself in the mirror if I had squandered that amount of money on a car. Thus, it is an inferior choice as far as I'm concerned.
Old 12-21-2018, 04:14 PM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

As I said, it's whatever definition a particular individual applies. That's all that matters. There is no objective measure of relative superiority.

The very fact that something is less costly can make a particular product vastly superior to many. Even though I could write a check for a new Ferrari, I couldn't look myself in the mirror if I had squandered that amount of money on a car. Thus, it is an inferior choice as far as I'm concerned.
It doesn't make it superior, that is an objective measurement. It makes it a better value.
Old 12-21-2018, 04:21 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

No, it is not an objective measurement. It is inferior on many criteria, such as price, reliability, and cost of repair.
Old 12-21-2018, 04:24 PM
Houston Z33
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Atari_Prime
What beef do people have with the Huracan? It looks great. Not the best looking Lambo ever, that title is split between the Countach and Diablo, but still a very nice looking car.
It's the lone, slab like angle of the front.....A-Pillar on back it's all good but.....In pics the angle is way too high but in person it's spot on.
Old 12-21-2018, 04:27 PM
JDSKY
Melting Slicks

Received 1,199 Likes on 592 Posts

It only matters if it matters to you. If equal performance is your measure, and performance is indeed equal, then the cheaper version is not inferior.
Absolutely true that it's only what is important to the individual that really matters. But, performance is in such abundance these days that it tends to become an exercise in splitting hairs. That means other criteria is necessary in order to understand if something is truly great or not.

In that vein the steak analogy is a bit easier to reference due to its simplicity. A truly great steak is just that. Something you experience and immediately know that it is great and not just another steak. For me anyway it is this experience that always draws me to some of the exotic cars and as such those with price tags to match.

The Vette is a truly excellent car and why I have one in my garage. It checks the performance box, it checks the fun factor box and I personally think it provides an experience unto itself. So why would I consider a car that is several times its price? Because unfortunately I have also experienced a truly great steak.
Old 12-21-2018, 04:33 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

However, a lot of folks detest steak, making it an inferior food. All that matters is what each individual values, and that alone dictates what is superior/inferior.
Old 12-21-2018, 04:37 PM
JDSKY
Melting Slicks

Received 1,199 Likes on 592 Posts

However, a lot of folks detest steak, making it an inferior food. All that matters is what each individual values, and that alone dictates what is superior/inferior.
Completely agree.... But I will insist on putting those that will not consider an incredible car just because one cannot fit a set of Big Bertha's inside in the same category of those that hate a really good steak.....
Old 12-21-2018, 04:46 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Understood, but that's your value system, which is not universally shared. As I said, there is no objective measure of judging relative superiority/inferiority.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:54 PM
isellpower
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by duanesZ06
The Porsche is still stuck in the 60's they have not brought that car into the future, same round headlights and hood for 30 years or more. Now the Corvette zr1 wide *** low to the ground great lines looks so much better then any Porsches made and is a hell of a car that is why I buy Corvette and have three and when the ME comes out I could have four it has something to do with loyalty to the brand and love of product. So ask me another stupid question!!!
LMAO!! Keep trying to justify your purchase with baseless claims. Everyone in this thread knows that there is a bit of a cringe factor when it comes to the Vette. Head to any cars and coffee and you'll see why they call it the windbreaker, gold chain crowd. 45 pages of cope, sheer, unadulterated cope. No one outside of Vette fanboys could even make this argument seem in the least bit sensible. Apple to oranges, the Porsche is miles ahead. Sure, some rattle box may beat any Porsche by some metrics, but lets be real, they aren't even in the same league. The ME is going to bridge this gap, narrow it to nothing if the interior and build quality are stepped up.

To each his own, but I don't see this as a car stuck in the 60's.

Old 12-21-2018, 08:57 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,984 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
C7 z06 seems to be selling between 70 or 80 grand brand new..

thats about the price of the cayman or boxster...maybe the S model...

which would you rather have....?

its your money so each person gets to decide...
You're comparing discounted price vs. MSRP. Not exactly the same. Besides, you don't think Porsche's are discounted? They definitely are, they just don't freely advertise them and Porsche doesn't allow its dealers to over-order them just to hoard them (Kerbeck, Conti, etc) like GM does with the Corvette.
Old 12-21-2018, 09:07 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,984 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by isellpower
LMAO!! Keep trying to justify your purchase with baseless claims. Everyone in this thread knows that there is a bit of a cringe factor when it comes to the Vette. Head to any cars and coffee and you'll see why they call it the windbreaker, gold chain crowd. 45 pages of cope, sheer, unadulterated cope. No one outside of Vette fanboys could even make this argument seem in the least bit sensible. Apple to oranges, the Porsche is miles ahead. Sure, some rattle box may beat any Porsche by some metrics, but lets be real, they aren't even in the same league. The ME is going to bridge this gap, narrow it to nothing if the interior and build quality are stepped up.

To each his own, but I don't see this as a car stuck in the 60's.
Not crazy about the Porsche and its looks but do agree with you about certain Corvette owner/fan base. It's not gold chains anymore but other things that I won't get too much into that does give the Corvette a certain stigma to some individuals. I went to an event once with a gf a while ago and we felt totally out of place. They posses great taste in a car and spend a lot of money on it but when it comes to wardrobes not so much lol. But to each its own I guess?? That said, Porsche does have a certain stigma as well and a lot of owners are looked upon as douche-bags.
Old 12-21-2018, 09:29 PM
isellpower
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458
Not crazy about the Porsche and its looks but do agree with you about certain Corvette owner/fan base. It's not gold chains anymore but other things that I won't get too much into that does give the Corvette a certain stigma to some individuals. I went to an event once with a gf a while ago and we felt totally out of place. They posses great taste in a car and spend a lot of money on it but when it comes to wardrobes not so much lol. But to each its own I guess?? That said, Porsche does have a certain stigma as well and a lot of owners are looked upon as douche-bags.
Mostly agree. However, the douchebag award goes to BMW. The stuck-up **** award is bestowed upon Porsche.

I just sold my Viper, the car and its owners are very much like the Corvette crowd, myself included.
Old 12-22-2018, 01:42 AM
Spartan117
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Porsches are Porsches
Lamborghinis are Lamborghinis
Ferraris are Ferraris

and

Vettes are Vettes

The End.
Old 12-22-2018, 02:17 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

E
You're comparing discounted price vs. MSRP. Not exactly the same. Besides, you don't think Porsche's are discounted? They definitely are, they just don't freely advertise them and Porsche doesn't allow its dealers to over-order them just to hoard them (Kerbeck, Conti, etc) like GM does with the Corvette.
i thought maybe since porsches are such wonderful cars the most they discounted was 8 percent. If they discount more than just calculate that in.

I look at the porsche as overpriced and the service a real ripoff. The dealer network for my corvette is a major reason i stay with corvettes.

i like the mininal service requirements that Ive experienced over the past couple of hundred thosuand miles ive put on my three new corvettes.

im answering the question as openly and honestly as possible.

i like spending relatively no money on my purschased new 2008 c6 z51 m6 corvette that Ive out 128k miles on..l

it makes me laugh as I daily all my sports cars ...to me its just a tool to enjoy life.

for those that find porsches the better choice...cool.

Im happy with my personal choice and I look forward to moving to a c8 z51 rear mid engine sports car with dct, mrc, npp and possibly a 1LT or 2 lt interior ..

im thinking torch red with a black interior and Ill daily the hell out of that car too...

i drive in the snow and to where I have to go...and I like the fact the corvette costs just about the same as most loaded tahoes ...

and has about the same service requirements...

add in the GM corporations 300k mile validation process and the entire ownership experience is pretty much carefree.

my gm world class tech is what I consider a gentleman and a good friend who does the carlisle/bloomington gold/mid america/ bowling green service tech seminars across the country.

he is a nice fella who I trust and who always treats me with respect and has a passion to properly service corvettes.

he recently won one of the top fifty gm world class techs in the country awards.

part of the reason I stick with corvettes instead of going with a porsche or supercharged v8 jaguar is because of the wonderful ownership experience his dedication offers me.

when I visit his dealership (every six months or so for service) its like being with old friends throughout the entire staff of the dealership. The dealer service department loves i slap snow tires on and drive my corvette as a daily...and the car looks mint.

for those interested...his dealership is Jackson chevrolet in Middletown ct. top to bottom every employee carries what I consider a valuable asset of caring about their clients/customers.

The corvette world class technician is Paul Koerner....aka the corvette mechanic on facebook..

check his posts out...the guy is passonate about servicing corvettes..

these are the reasons I tend to buy new corvettes for myself.

add in that the performance of corvettes are superior to similiarly priced porsches and these are the reasons I prefer corvettes.

if this is a post to troll corvette owners then just ignore my answers.

happy holidays.

JB

Last edited by JerriVette; 12-22-2018 at 02:29 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Telepierre (12-22-2018)
Old 12-22-2018, 08:10 AM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by isellpower
Mostly agree. However, the douchebag award goes to BMW. The stuck-up **** award is bestowed upon Porsche.

I just sold my Viper, the car and its owners are very much like the Corvette crowd, myself included.
There are stereotypes and weirdos for every car type. Sure some BMW owners are douches and some Porsche owners are stuck-up. Lots of Corvette owners are the same. In fairness, being a good person and a decent human being are traits found in all car brand owners. Just like idiots are found everywhere too. Being a douche is brand agnostic IMO. I've known a lot of great people across many brands... and some really not so nice people who were Corvette fans. I will say, based on this forum, Corvette owners are generally the most angry and argumentative
ByByBMW (12-22-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Question-Why would someone just not buy a Porsche?

Old 12-22-2018, 09:20 AM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
E

i thought maybe since porsches are such wonderful cars the most they discounted was 8 percent. If they discount more than just calculate that in.

I look at the porsche as overpriced and the service a real ripoff. The dealer network for my corvette is a major reason i stay with corvettes.

i like the mininal service requirements that Ive experienced over the past couple of hundred thosuand miles ive put on my three new corvettes.

im answering the question as openly and honestly as possible.

i like spending relatively no money on my purschased new 2008 c6 z51 m6 corvette that Ive out 128k miles on..l

it makes me laugh as I daily all my sports cars ...to me its just a tool to enjoy life.

for those that find porsches the better choice...cool.

Im happy with my personal choice and I look forward to moving to a c8 z51 rear mid engine sports car with dct, mrc, npp and possibly a 1LT or 2 lt interior ..

im thinking torch red with a black interior and Ill daily the hell out of that car too...

i drive in the snow and to where I have to go...and I like the fact the corvette costs just about the same as most loaded tahoes ...

and has about the same service requirements...

add in the GM corporations 300k mile validation process and the entire ownership experience is pretty much carefree.

my gm world class tech is what I consider a gentleman and a good friend who does the carlisle/bloomington gold/mid america/ bowling green service tech seminars across the country.

he is a nice fella who I trust and who always treats me with respect and has a passion to properly service corvettes.

he recently won one of the top fifty gm world class techs in the country awards.

part of the reason I stick with corvettes instead of going with a porsche or supercharged v8 jaguar is because of the wonderful ownership experience his dedication offers me.

when I visit his dealership (every six months or so for service) its like being with old friends throughout the entire staff of the dealership. The dealer service department loves i slap snow tires on and drive my corvette as a daily...and the car looks mint.

for those interested...his dealership is Jackson chevrolet in Middletown ct. top to bottom every employee carries what I consider a valuable asset of caring about their clients/customers.

The corvette world class technician is Paul Koerner....aka the corvette mechanic on facebook..

check his posts out...the guy is passonate about servicing corvettes..

these are the reasons I tend to buy new corvettes for myself.

add in that the performance of corvettes are superior to similiarly priced porsches and these are the reasons I prefer corvettes.

if this is a post to troll corvette owners then just ignore my answers.

happy holidays.

JB

Well said and accurate comment. I couldn’t agree more about the advantages of owning a Corvette over other marquees.
JerriVette (12-22-2018)
Old 12-22-2018, 09:27 AM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by gthal
There are stereotypes and weirdos for every car type. Sure some BMW owners are douches and some Porsche owners are stuck-up. Lots of Corvette owners are the same. In fairness, being a good person and a decent human being are traits found in all car brand owners. Just like idiots are found everywhere too. Being a douche is brand agnostic IMO. I've known a lot of great people across many brands... and some really not so nice people who were Corvette fans. I will say, based on this forum, Corvette owners are generally the most angry and argumentative
You are who you are regardless of the car you own unless you have split personalities. I typically have a mix of cars in my garage.....BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, GMC and Chevrolet. Hopefully, I am just me regardless of the keys I grab that day......just a typical small town boy! A** Holes don’t pick specific brands. They range from redncks in muddy 4 wheel drive diesel pickups parking in front of a Tesla charging station to any high end sports car you can imagine.
gthal (12-22-2018)
Old 12-22-2018, 11:09 AM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Understood, but that's your value system, which is not universally shared. As I said, there is no objective measure of judging relative superiority/inferiority.
That’s not the way the world works. You can argue a Kia is the better value, you can argue it’s the right car for you, but you can’t argue it’s the better car.

Quick Reply: Question-Why would someone just not buy a Porsche?