Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8, believe me now?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 10:42 PM
Wadoka
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04
Cruise-In 1-2-3-4-5 Veteran

Originally Posted by Zerv02

for what it’s worth, there will be no sticks or ***** in the c8. Not sure how people will feel about this, I personally love it though....
I love it. I posted over in the AskTadge forum a few months back, if GM would ever get rid of that gods-awful old-school obsolete shifter stalk, for the automatic cars - it's clunky, ugly, un-necessary, and takes up console space that can be put to better use. Sounds like GM designers think the same, for C8.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:49 PM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Received 1,039 Likes on 554 Posts

That red button is the history eraser button. Do not press it.
The following users liked this post:
firstvettesoon (10-14-2018)
Old 10-14-2018, 09:49 AM
zhopper05
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts
2015 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
Where's the blurred out pics Zerv? Comon man takes 2 minutes killing us!
You're not honestly falling for his nonsense.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:23 AM
5Axis
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That picture has been posted everywhere

https://www.google.com/search?tbs=sbi:AMhZZitTFnVPnR5CDgwuXSoAU n716xnogyNQ9EC8LQ2TS9Ur-92Alan4Qdp5O1L4ZqT2dHJCJxuAFgR_1GKnH_1CZ oeiCfQfqPx2Lq5aHLis_1d44EVwxqCu3m4srW67v tfC8DC4oH10hY3VmfwxmjTEwJ3wdbwMwtKTyd5LA 8zrIc4VVgpLB1cQ4nhpCO_1-IB3CfEoccZHane2Ec2GpL8x3byslQ6ipnjvANird n-3Ik6DkcZYY7wpBkIXIoKK4HZosheeTUSm_1FQyMQ ZZW7v3IvbQKkHbFwmF8RxIBZ7mRJF8zVIG0EV_1a 0yoHv8g2pdht0-IUqOYlvskHB0u82Uilz0RpumGzGniDA&ei=TVHDW 5nUHrGd_QaeuI74CA&start=0&sa=N&biw=1707& bih=707

Looks familiar
http://www.corvetteconti.com/blog/?p=32058

Last edited by 5Axis; 10-14-2018 at 10:27 AM.
Old 10-14-2018, 01:16 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

Originally Posted by 5Axis
That picture has been posted everywhere
And shows essentially N O T H I N G !
Old 10-14-2018, 05:45 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by GrampZ

Sorry, Zerv02, I'm confused. A Dual Clutch Transmission isn't an "automatic" (torque converter) transmission, at least to my limited understanding.

So can you clarif?

Thanks again.

Are you aware that a DCT can also have a torque convertor. In fact, Acura has such an animal in one of their 4 door sedans, and GM also has a patent on a DCT with a torque convertor.

A DCT is an automatic transmission, with or without a torque convertor, as it has the ability to automatically shift gears with zero input for the driver of the car.

Last edited by JoesC5; 10-14-2018 at 05:56 PM.
firstvettesoon (10-14-2018)
Old 10-14-2018, 06:19 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Are you aware that a DCT can also have a torque convertor. In fact, Acura has such an animal in one of their 4 door sedans, and GM also has a patent on a DCT with a torque convertor.

A DCT is an automatic transmission, with or without a torque convertor, as it has the ability to automatically shift gears with zero input for the driver of the car.
A torque converter would ruin a DCT. If GM did that, they might as well put a regular auto in it. The torque converter would mute the mechanical and direct feel of a DCT. Blah...

Besides... it's Honda/Acura for the ILX. A far cry from a C8 (or any sports car). It's not like Ferrari, Lambo, BMW, Porsche or others couldn't build one for their sports cars but they don't... cause it's dumb! Modern DCT's are very fast, work well in auto mode and around town and maintain a more direct mechanical feel/experience. Not to mention they are ridiculously fast. Why mess with that by adding an unneeded (in a sports car) torque converter... again... blah...

Last edited by gthal; 10-14-2018 at 06:25 PM.
vettesweetnos (10-18-2018)
Old 10-14-2018, 07:34 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by gthal
A torque converter would ruin a DCT. If GM did that, they might as well put a regular auto in it. The torque converter would mute the mechanical and direct feel of a DCT. Blah...

Besides... it's Honda/Acura for the ILX. A far cry from a C8 (or any sports car). It's not like Ferrari, Lambo, BMW, Porsche or others couldn't build one for their sports cars but they don't... cause it's dumb! Modern DCT's are very fast, work well in auto mode and around town and maintain a more direct mechanical feel/experience. Not to mention they are ridiculously fast. Why mess with that by adding an unneeded (in a sports car) torque converter... again... blah...
Torque converters have had lockable clutches for 15+ years now.
Old 10-14-2018, 07:59 PM
rgregory
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by NY09C6
Torque converters have had lockable clutches for 15+ years now.
Ya and that lockable feature is what failed on my Tahoe and it spit metal in the transmission.. I hate torque converters.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:53 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by Zaro Tundov
That red button is the history eraser button. Do not press it.

Last edited by firstvettesoon; 10-14-2018 at 11:02 PM.
Zaro Tundov (10-15-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 04:02 AM
Trackaholic
Pro

Received 154 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by rgregory

Ya and that lockable feature is what failed on my Tahoe and it spit metal in the transmission.. I hate torque converters.

It sounds like you actually like the torque converter part, just not the lockable part (or GM's apparent inability to build a decent one - though I hear Ford's 10-speed is working well in the Camaro (just teasing....or am I?)). ;-)

Anyhow, I think the point of the torque converter in the DCT is to improve its ability to handle low speed situations, where even Porsche's PDK still has trouble at times. It they could use a lockable (or clutchable) torque converter was only in use at the initial engagement of first gear, it might give the best of both worlds - the rapid, positive shifts of a clutch transmission, with the smoothness of a TC at low speeds where a clutch would otherwise need to be slipped.

I would personally prefer a stick shift though. However, I do sometimes wonder what I like about them. Is it the clutch pedal, the action of the shifter, or the combination of the two? Or maybe something else.

I know that in my wife's XC90, I much prefer the "bump shift" on the gear lever (to manually choose gears), to paddle shifters. So clearly the action of the shifter is part of it. If the car had a sequential transmission that only required a clutch to start, would I still like it? I think I would need to learn left foot braking in order to still feel like I was fully engaged. So I guess the clutch pedal giving my left leg something to do is part of the fun for me. What if it was like an arcade video game, with a clutch pedal and gated style shifter, but both were connected only to electronic sensors that would cause clutches and gears to engage appropriately? And what if those systems would only engage when the computer deemed it safe (no "money shifts")? Would I still like that even though it has both a clutch and the action of the shifter? I think in the end, I really like knowing that not only did I chose when to make things occur, but I also controlled how they occurred. So in addition to having something for my various limbs to do, I get satisfaction executing a good heel/toe downshift, or a smooth upshift, or a good launch. I am not a very fast driver, but I'm OK with that, and I prefer having the control to being faster by a few tenths (or even full seconds) due to having faster shifts.

For me, a DCT will never satisfy in the same way as a manual. Although maybe the arcade system would come close.

And, just to get back on topic, nice interior shots.

-T

Last edited by Trackaholic; 10-15-2018 at 04:07 AM.
Zaro Tundov (10-15-2018)
Old 10-16-2018, 12:45 PM
vndkshn
Melting Slicks

Received 1,776 Likes on 863 Posts

Originally Posted by PurpleLion
After you have a driven a manual for a while, say five or ten years, the how becomes automated and you no longer have to think about it. It is second nature, learned reflex, etc. At that point, you still must determine when a downshift is required and, also, what gear you should downshift to. Up shifts are a little simpler since you are almost always up shifting to the next available gear. Your primary job is to keep the engine "on the boil" and to be in the correct gear as you approach the apex of a corner. A manually driven DCT does not do that for you.
So much wrong here.

First, you should NEVER skip gears downshifting. That leads to money shifts. Watch in car of racecars with manuals, they always go down each gear, often letting the clutch out with each shift. That is exactly what we teach at HPDE schools. Going 6th to 4th can easily turn into 6th to 2nd. 5th to 3rd into 5th to 1st. Don't cut corners. If you do this, get an instructor in the car.

Second, it's not just determining when and then downshifting, at least if you want to do it right. You still need to rev-match. A high RPM downshift (not common on the street of course, but very common on track) can (and usually will) "lock" the rearend of the car and cause the car to veer. Rev-matching helps with that (among other things). Most DCTs take care of the rev-match.

Third, that oh so fun and delicate act of heavy braking, combined with the downshift (which requires an entire ARM and a foot/leg), combined with rev-matching. Alot of fun in getting all three pedals in action at the same time, while shifting, and steering the car. DCT... left foot brake, computer rev-matches, you flick a paddle without removing your hands from the wheel, computer disengages clutch, shifts gears, then off you go. Technically superior and faster, but without a doubt not as fun or as challenging. And as long as you select the right gear, DCT does make it much easier to keep the engine "on the boil".
Old 10-16-2018, 01:35 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by vndkshn
So much wrong here.

First, you should NEVER skip gears downshifting. That leads to money shifts. Watch in car of racecars with manuals, they always go down each gear, often letting the clutch out with each shift. That is exactly what we teach at HPDE schools. Going 6th to 4th can easily turn into 6th to 2nd. 5th to 3rd into 5th to 1st. Don't cut corners. If you do this, get an instructor in the car.

Second, it's not just determining when and then downshifting, at least if you want to do it right. You still need to rev-match. A high RPM downshift (not common on the street of course, but very common on track) can (and usually will) "lock" the rearend of the car and cause the car to veer. Rev-matching helps with that (among other things). Most DCTs take care of the rev-match.

Third, that oh so fun and delicate act of heavy braking, combined with the downshift (which requires an entire ARM and a foot/leg), combined with rev-matching. Alot of fun in getting all three pedals in action at the same time, while shifting, and steering the car. DCT... left foot brake, computer rev-matches, you flick a paddle without removing your hands from the wheel, computer disengages clutch, shifts gears, then off you go. Technically superior and faster, but without a doubt not as fun or as challenging. And as long as you select the right gear, DCT does make it much easier to keep the engine "on the boil".
So much wrong here.
Old 10-16-2018, 01:47 PM
vndkshn
Melting Slicks

Received 1,776 Likes on 863 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaka
So much wrong here.
It's ok if you drive the car improperly, it won't kill you. But I note you have nothing to actually dispute what I said.

A common theme with you I've noticed.

Last edited by vndkshn; 10-16-2018 at 01:48 PM.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:44 PM
PurpleLion
Burning Brakes

Received 857 Likes on 392 Posts

So much wrong here.

Actually, not much wrong, just because I did not mention all of the steps that are used when driving a manual on a track does not make my statement wrong, nor discredit my argument. It just means that I assumed that the reader was familiar with them. Furthermore, "what gear you should downshift to" does not imply skipping gears, regardless of whether or not you skip a gear, you must still determine what gear you should be in when you get to the apex! This is, of course, one of the primary differences between driving a car in automatic mode versus manual mode (DCT or traditional manual). In manual mode, you decide the appropriate gear and shift into it before you get to the apex, possibly using engine braking or not.

Last edited by PurpleLion; 10-17-2018 at 07:56 AM.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:36 AM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

It's ok if you drive the car improperly, it won't kill you. But I note you have nothing to actually dispute what I said.

A common theme with you I've noticed.
The sad thing is, is that you are an instructor. I consider myself a master of the pedal dance. The difference is, that I know how things work.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:29 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,165 Likes on 5,989 Posts

So much wrong here.

So much wrong... I've been driving competitively for nearly 20 years and instructing since 2011. There is no issue skipping gears if you're not a bozo. We go 5th to 3rd and 5th to 2nd all the time at the end of straights.
The following 4 users liked this post by RapidC84B:
dreamr616 (10-18-2018), JockItch (10-18-2018), PurpleLion (10-18-2018), Shaka (10-18-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To C8, believe me now?

Old 10-18-2018, 10:26 AM
dreamr616
Drifting

Received 632 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
So much wrong... I've been driving competitively for nearly 20 years and instructing since 2011. There is no issue skipping gears if you're not a bozo. We go 5th to 3rd and 5th to 2nd all the time at the end of straights.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:24 AM
CitznFish
Drifting

Received 1,350 Likes on 482 Posts

Zerv02 back at it with more attention seeking bs

and y'all are falling for it every time
Old 10-18-2018, 11:39 AM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaka
The sad thing is, is that you are an instructor. I consider myself a master of the pedal dance. The difference is, that I know how things work.
Is there anything that you are not a master of, in your own mind?

Quick Reply: C8, believe me now?