Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Design Duke Out--What the HELL?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 10:42 PM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,157 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by IronV

'66 L72 427 w/M22 rock crusher (one of 16) Rebuilt by me to get driven long and hard on modern gas. My 6th Corvette. Any other questions, Sparky?
Now I understand Iron V...
From this point on I’ll only show compassion towards you.

I’m sorry to inform you ,that the car you own ,could never be duplicated,
No design ever came close,since 1967,
You can’t ever experience a bigger high.

Nice car.
Old 09-07-2018, 12:11 AM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Received 495 Likes on 260 Posts
Default Factory sides. Tank like moves

Originally Posted by rsvette12
Oh yah one more question that door line sux

Friend of mine has a 66 vert with side pipes - drives like a tank - all set with that
The best thing about the sides is they set off car alarms like you can't believe. Always good for a chuckle.

As far as handling etc.

I have limited track time but enough to know what good handling is across 4 generations of cars--mostly Porsches, Vettes and Ponies. The handling on mine (stock F-41) is amazing for its generation. And even more amazing is the braking. Mine is non-power steering and power brakes combo. Factory transistor ignition. Lead pipe reliable and oozes fun. Two tops. Factory radio delete. Power windows and leather seats. Very weird combo, but you could order it any way you wanted back then.

Oh. And nothing. NOTHING shifts as sweet and smooth as a Muncie 20 series. NOTHING.
The following users liked this post:
rsvette12 (09-07-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 07:31 AM
rsvette12
Melting Slicks

Received 334 Likes on 249 Posts

The best thing about the sides is they set off car alarms like you can't believe. Always good for a chuckle.

As far as handling etc.

I have limited track time but enough to know what good handling is across 4 generations of cars--mostly Porsches, Vettes and Ponies. The handling on mine (stock F-41) is amazing for its generation. And even more amazing is the braking. Mine is non-power steering and power brakes combo. Factory transistor ignition. Lead pipe reliable and oozes fun. Two tops. Factory radio delete. Power windows and leather seats. Very weird combo, but you could order it any way you wanted back then.

Oh. And nothing. NOTHING shifts as sweet and smooth as a Muncie 20 series. NOTHING.
Owned 1970 GTO Judge was on the cover of hot rod magazine 4spd muncie
Old 09-07-2018, 11:12 AM
bgspot
Burning Brakes

Received 285 Likes on 159 Posts

Man it seems like some people just want to be negative. Who gives 2 f%$ what the auto world is saying. The auto world has always found a reason to bash corvettes and i don't see that changing anytime soon. Forgot who originally said this on this forum, but i remember one member saying the corvette is in a weird spot where nothing in its price range competes with it yet it competes with cars costing x amount more. Because of this it will never be judged fairly/correctly. (ok i know that wasn't the exact quote but that was a close as i could remember).

Not seeing how something this trivial could scare you but just sit back and relax. Over the past 20 years vettes have been getting better and better. I don't see that changing...
CorvettoBrando (09-07-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 11:18 AM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

Cross your fingers and toes. I'm not talking about the "little" design elements. I'm talking about MAJOR elements: Proportion, style lines, curves etc.

The C7 is many ways the diametric opposite of what we're seeing thus far in the C8. And it ain't gonna change. There ARE NO upward sweeping design elements that break up the high belt line as we see in the C7. The doors and sides are slab-like in the C8 but have a voluptuous profile in the C7. The *** is high as an elephant's eye. Yes. Even higher and narrower than the stock C7. And that's saying something. The mouth is a huge, gaping, vertical hole. The shark like sleekness of the C7 is replaced by a chunky monkey profile in the C8.

Those things are not going to change. They can't change. I wish that taking off the camo wrap could.

i could be wrong and the car car could be as you describe. After 10 years of work, the very same design team that brought you your beautiful C7, completely dropped the ball and put out a blocky chunky future Corvette.

If if you look at the overlay line drawings, the nose and butt of the C8 are exactly the same height as the 488 and lower than the C7. The general shape and proportions are similar to the 488/McLaren. Point being, that you can relax “ a bit” about the design an trust that the basics are well thought out.

We we may see a car that is hard edged and angular rather than rounded and soft. More Lambo?

we will see soon enough and I am ready to be surprised.! ... in a good way! ; )

Old 09-07-2018, 11:36 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,206 Likes on 6,015 Posts

Gentleman... stop feeding the troll.
Old 09-07-2018, 12:04 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

But he houngry! ; )
bgspot (09-07-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 12:19 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Originally Posted by firstvettesoon
But he houngry! ; )
There's literally nothing you can say to change his opinion. The C7 forums were rife with these people when it came out. People ranted for days that it should have 500 horse, round tail lights, and a DCT and that it wasn't worth a crap.
The following 2 users liked this post by RapidC84B:
bgspot (09-07-2018), firstvettesoon (09-07-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 01:03 PM
PurpleLion
Burning Brakes

Received 857 Likes on 392 Posts

The styling of the C8 has not been in progress for "10 years". Simcoe recently took over as the head of GM design and the C8 will be his design. If you google his past efforts at GM, you will not find any outstanding designs. You certainly will not find anything in the same league as the C7.

I think that our only hope is that the camo is hiding a street version of C8R. Regardless, I do not think that the removal of the camo will lower the beltline or reduce the height of the hood.
Old 09-07-2018, 01:04 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Originally Posted by PurpleLion
The styling of the C8 has not been in progress for "10 years". Simcoe recently took over as the head of GM design and the C8 will be his design. If you google his past efforts at GM, you will not find any outstanding designs. You certainly will not find anything in the same league as the C7.

I think that our only hope is that the camo is hiding a street version of C8R. Regardless, I do not think that the removal of the camo will lower the beltline or reduce the height of the hood.
The car was finalized before he took over.
Old 09-07-2018, 01:17 PM
PurpleLion
Burning Brakes

Received 857 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
The car was finalized before he took over.
Yes, the design was probably finalized before he took over, but that does not mean that it was not redone. Hence the change in the unveiling date from 2018 to 2019, etc.

Simcoe has made statements about the significance of the C8 design.
Old 09-07-2018, 01:18 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

From the overlays, the height of the hood looks to be "about" the same as the 488 Pista. I think that should be low enough...
Old 09-07-2018, 01:21 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Yes, the design was probably finalized before he took over, but that does not mean that it was not redone. Hence the change in the unveiling date from 2018 to 2019, etc.

Well, my point was that GM and the design team has been working toward and on a MID engine Corvette for a long-long time. Much consideration for styling and performance has been done and redone many many times. They are not just winging it. The other point was that since the same team...in general, that designed the c7-has designed the c8, we can rest assured it won't be a step backwards.

Last edited by firstvettesoon; 09-07-2018 at 01:21 PM.
Old 09-07-2018, 01:39 PM
C7pimp
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 245 Posts

Higher belt line, or lower roof?

Bring the roof down an inch along with the seating position to keep headroom the same while maintaining the height of the belt line from the ground would make for a killer look up close and personal. Might looked higher in pics, when it's actually a lower roof, not a higher waist. Let's hope that's the case. If it's not, it still looks great to me either way.

Last edited by C7pimp; 09-07-2018 at 01:41 PM.
Old 09-07-2018, 02:30 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Simcoe has basically said he knew he'd be remembered for the C8 because it is coming out under his leadership tenure, not because he designed the car at all. They don't go and re-do cars at the stage of his take-over unless something is extremely amiss or they lose funding and delay the project for years like the C5 gestation process.

Originally Posted by C7pimp
Higher belt line, or lower roof?

Bring the roof down an inch along with the seating position to keep headroom the same while maintaining the height of the belt line from the ground would make for a killer look up close and personal. Might looked higher in pics, when it's actually a lower roof, not a higher waist. Let's hope that's the case. If it's not, it still looks great to me either way.
High belt-lines suck. I'm 6'4" and still have a hard time cruising with my left arm on the door of my C7. The Camaro is even worse, you can barely see out of one.
Old 09-07-2018, 03:09 PM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
There's literally nothing you can say to change his opinion. The C7 forums were rife with these people when it came out. People ranted for days that it should have 500 horse, round tail lights, and a DCT and that it wasn't worth a crap.
I'm not sure I understand...all that is true.
Old 09-07-2018, 03:10 PM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Originally Posted by firstvettesoon
Well, my point was that GM and the design team has been working toward and on a MID engine Corvette for a long-long time. Much consideration for styling and performance has been done and redone many many times. They are not just winging it. The other point was that since the same team...in general, that designed the c7-has designed the c8, we can rest assured it won't be a step backwards.
But the C7 was a step backwards...that little white part on top of poo, still poo.

Get notified of new replies

To Design Duke Out--What the HELL?

Old 09-07-2018, 03:15 PM
F4Gary
Le Mans Master

Received 781 Likes on 472 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist
2016 C3 of the Year Finalist

'66 L72 427 w/M22 rock crusher (one of 16) Rebuilt by me to get driven long and hard on modern gas. My 6th Corvette. Any other questions, Sparky?

Those are some ugly *** wheels.
The following 3 users liked this post by F4Gary:
Atari_Prime (09-07-2018), CorvettoBrando (09-07-2018), IronV (09-09-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 03:19 PM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Originally Posted by AVETTE
people said the SAME thing about the C7... didn’t like and it was a huge sales and design success, take a breath, the sky is not falling, watch how many they sell, it WILL be a boat load, no it won’t look like a 300 k car BECAUSE it’s NOT a 300 k car, it Will Be a helluva car for the money, just like it’s always been
I don't care about helluva car for the money, I just want it to be a helluva car. You don't build an icon on a budget.
Old 09-07-2018, 03:57 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Atari_Prime
I don't care about helluva car for the money, I just want it to be a helluva car. You don't build an icon on a budget.
Actually you do... what other car has been in production as long as the Corvette? The Mustang and the 911. That's it. Both those cars are built to a specific budget to make a profit. Without a profit they would have been killed. Without staying true to what the core demo wants they'd have been killed as well.

You can **** on the C7 all you like, but they sold a ton of them and they were a success for GM so much so that they had nearly quadruple the funds to develop the C8.
The following 2 users liked this post by RapidC84B:
CorvettoBrando (09-07-2018), JustinStrife (09-08-2018)

Quick Reply: Design Duke Out--What the HELL?