Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What about trunk space?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 08:54 AM
Johnsrx7
Team Owner

Location: Florida Gators! 3 National Championships back to back!!!
Received 65 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Quinten33
Two soft sided duffles and a smaller "catch all" bag will certainly fit in the car, as that fits in the Huracan/R8, 570s(GT has even more room), 720s, and others. Don't worry about long trips, you can do laundry at the hotel you're staying in along the way. SACRIFICE FOR THE GREATER GOOD!
Amen!!

My Alfa only has 3.8 cubic feet of trunk space, and it doesn't bother me at all. It's all about the driving experience.
The following 2 users liked this post by Johnsrx7:
ArmchairArchitect (09-12-2018), vettesweetnos (09-12-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 09:04 AM
VetteLooking
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Ted P
I golf but who the hell cares if you can make a world class sports car with less weight and less luggage room? You'll lose a few buyers but gain a hell of a lot more if you focus on performance , weight and proportion rather than storage space
I am already missing the days where I can fit two full sized cart bags in the trunk and enough clothes for a long weekend. Here is a picture of the C5 convertible trunk with bags and full weather gear last year. What a beautiful drive through the north woods of WI to Marquette, MI in late June. Just perfect weather, golf, and driving experience.

The C5 is an awesome GT car. This is partly the reason I have held onto it for so long. The top down experience is so great. I love taking it on week long golf trips with the the group of guys every summer and visiting the friends lake home for a week at a time 3.5 hours away.

That said, all signs point to this not being the mission of the C8 ME car. It has been a while since you have been able to do the above with a Corvette convertible. It is a new day and it is obvious that the mission of the ME is not that of the FE Corvettes. I'm OK with that (and GM didn't ask me if I was anyway). I am looking forward to seeing the details of what can fit and what a convertible/power targa/spyder in a C8 looks like and if I can take it to the track.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:41 AM
flyingbunnys
Le Mans Master

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts

I golf but who the hell cares if you can make a world class sports car with less weight and less luggage room? You'll lose a few buyers but gain a hell of a lot more if you focus on performance , weight and proportion rather than storage space
Since when did the corvette become only performance minded at the expense of everything else. If the goal is to make a super car that fine at the zr1 level but the base has always had wide support for other reasons such as cost and practicality. They almost just need to have two One to go after the support cars and one for practicality. Though I guess the practical owners will be pushed to Camaros. Though the corvette still easily has a larger trunk the Camaro has a back seat that makes up the extra space.
Old 09-12-2018, 05:32 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,984 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by flyingbunnys
Since when did the corvette become only performance minded at the expense of everything else. If the goal is to make a super car that fine at the zr1 level but the base has always had wide support for other reasons such as cost and practicality. They almost just need to have two One to go after the support cars and one for practicality. Though I guess the practical owners will be pushed to Camaros. Though the corvette still easily has a larger trunk the Camaro has a back seat that makes up the extra space.
Why a Camaro? Just because they're both GM cars doesn't mean someone would look at a Camaro if they wanted a back seat. Sure some would but some would look at a S Class Coupe as well. There are other cars as well in the world than just domestic cars.
The following users liked this post:
tooold2race (09-13-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 05:33 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,984 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by Trackaholic
What if it can't fit that stuff? Would YOU then care about luggage space?

I don't care too much about it either, but I think it is a valid concern because part of what makes the Vette so successful is its relative utility as an excellent GT car. If the mid-engine Vette loses that utility, then would it have also lost what makes a Vette, a Vette?

In the end we can only hope that GM has answered our own wants and needs, and to hell with everyone else! LOL.

-T
On a weekend getaway driving two hours I'm sure it will. If it doesn't then I'll take another car.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:26 PM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

I wouldn't bet on it. There are a significant number of Corvette buyers, probably 50% that buy a Corvette for its ability to perform as a comfortable 2 seat GT Cruiser (which includes about half that number that daily drive their C7's) compared to maybe 2% that actually track the C7. I am at a loss to see where all these new buyers are for an ultra high performance car that has no other use? Those who can afford a Ferrari 488, McLaren, Lamborghini, Ford GT, Bugatti or any other ME car that costs over $150,000 aren't going to buy a Corvette just because it may perform a little better, because just like C7 owners, few ever track those cars and for 95% of those owners it is all about exclusivity that comes from few others having the same car that everyone knows costs a boatload of cash.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:37 PM
68roadster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 167 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteLooking
I am already missing the days where I can fit two full sized cart bags in the trunk and enough clothes for a long weekend. Here is a picture of the C5 convertible trunk with bags and full weather gear last year. What a beautiful drive through the north woods of WI to Marquette, MI in late June. Just perfect weather, golf, and driving experience.

The C5 is an awesome GT car. This is partly the reason I have held onto it for so long. The top down experience is so great. I love taking it on week long golf trips with the the group of guys every summer and visiting the friends lake home for a week at a time 3.5 hours away.

That said, all signs point to this not being the mission of the C8 ME car. It has been a while since you have been able to do the above with a Corvette convertible. It is a new day and it is obvious that the mission of the ME is not that of the FE Corvettes. I'm OK with that (and GM didn't ask me if I was anyway). I am looking forward to seeing the details of what can fit and what a convertible/power targa/spyder in a C8 looks like and if I can take it to the track.
I agree. We have always loved the C5s, and have owned several. Still have a beater that my wife uses as daily driver. I am just now getting her to switch over to a C7 Stingray as a driver
ArmchairArchitect (09-13-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 09:20 PM
flyingbunnys
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by LIStingray
I wouldn't bet on it. There are a significant number of Corvette buyers, probably 50% that buy a Corvette for its ability to perform as a comfortable 2 seat GT Cruiser (which includes about half that number that daily drive their C7's) compared to maybe 2% that actually track the C7. I am at a loss to see where all these new buyers are for an ultra high performance car that has no other use? Those who can afford a Ferrari 488, McLaren, Lamborghini, Ford GT, Bugatti or any other ME car that costs over $150,000 aren't going to buy a Corvette just because it may perform a little better, because just like C7 owners, few ever track those cars and for 95% of those owners it is all about exclusivity that comes from few others having the same car that everyone knows costs a boatload of cash.
I concur I can't be the only one who uses the Corvette for long road trips and daily driving. The other reason I have it is for good looks. I have no intention of ever even driving over 70mph or accelerating faster than a minivan let alone going on a track. It could have had the GM 2.0T for all I cared. OK slight exaggeration but the 3.6l V6 would have been OK.

Last edited by flyingbunnys; 09-12-2018 at 09:34 PM.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:09 PM
oregonsharkman
Melting Slicks

Received 938 Likes on 364 Posts

"the practicality that the corvette had always had."......

"Always" is relative - I take it you have never owned an early C3? You're lucky to fit a box of cereal in the storage compartment before 1978...seriously though, the Corvette has always been a compromise of practicality. If the C8 looks, drives and performs better than my '19 GS manual, and is priced like a Corvette, I will pick one up after a couple years of good reviews.
The following 2 users liked this post by oregonsharkman:
ArmchairArchitect (09-13-2018), vndkshn (10-08-2018)
Old 09-13-2018, 01:43 PM
BlackHoleGravity
Heel & Toe

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I daily drive my C7, so luggage space is a concern for me...it will be interesting to see what they do.
Old 09-13-2018, 02:52 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by oregonsharkman
"the practicality that the corvette had always had."......

"Always" is relative - I take it you have never owned an early C3? You're lucky to fit a box of cereal in the storage compartment before 1978...seriously though, the Corvette has always been a compromise of practicality. If the C8 looks, drives and performs better than my '19 GS manual, and is priced like a Corvette, I will pick one up after a couple years of good reviews.
I owned a 1969 Coupe back when C3's were the newest Corvette and it had a lot of storage space in the rear(as does my C2 coupe). Only thing with the C2 and the C3 coupes is having to load/unload through the doors instead of a rear opening hatch. True that the C2 and C3 convertibles didn't have any space, but GM offered a coupe if cargo space was more important than having a convertible. Personally, after having a 1957 ford convertible(way, way back in the day) I don't buy convertibles anymore. Even my C1 has the removable hardtop that stays on the car 100% of the time(and it has a nice size trunk also).

My C6 Z06 coupe is very practical as I can load it up for a two week road trip, and still have tons of performance at the same time. It is possible to have performance and practically at the same time.

Last edited by JoesC5; 09-13-2018 at 02:54 PM.
Old 09-13-2018, 03:34 PM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 234 Posts

The Corvette's need to be designed around things like holding 2 sets of golf bags and having a sedan like ride height for daily driving are the type of things that stop it from the being the best sportscar it can be IMO. Other competitors are not held to the same requirements and are better for it.

Porsche does a good job of keeping the 718 models practical but they aren't compromised in the way I feel the Corvette is and has been.

That might more of indictment of the Corvette buyer and is why we still haven't seen a hardcore Corvette while the Camaro has had stripped down track special versions for the past two generations. Hopefully that changes as people age out...

Last edited by Kappa; 09-13-2018 at 03:38 PM.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:56 PM
flyingbunnys
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Kappa
The Corvette's need to be designed around things like holding 2 sets of golf bags and having a sedan like ride height for daily driving are the type of things that stop it from the being the best sportscar it can be IMO. Other competitors are not held to the same requirements and are better for it.

Porsche does a good job of keeping the 718 models practical but they aren't compromised in the way I feel the Corvette is and has been.

That might more of indictment of the Corvette buyer and is why we still haven't seen a hardcore Corvette while the Camaro has had stripped down track special versions for the past two generations. Hopefully that changes as people age out...
One it's a sports car that does not proclude it from having practicality. It's not a super car. There is even a sports car GT class based on being practical and that's where the corvette has resided. The base model isn't suppose to be some supper performance car.

Second don't count on me aging out my wife an I are only 30 so there is many more years of corvette GM could sale us.
​​
Third the porsche 718 has 9.7 cu ft of cargo space which is almost the same as a convertable top corvette, see below.

Here is a 718.

If that's the amount of storage we get that's fine, but if they are chasing farrari then I'd expect to see a bunch less new corvettes on the road. Personally I'd be out as well.
Old 09-13-2018, 05:06 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

How about 15 cubic feet of cargo space and 755 HP. Does the Porsche 718 offer that?

Last edited by JoesC5; 09-13-2018 at 05:07 PM.
Old 09-13-2018, 05:16 PM
The HACK
Burning Brakes

Received 686 Likes on 338 Posts

The 718 has a Boxster 6. 2 banks of 3 opposing FLAT cylinders. They can fit the engine lower than any other engine configuration and give back SOME space. You can't do that in a V6 or V8. It's unlikely that GM will develop a flat Boxster 6 or Boxster 8 to allow the additional spaces needed to put in a rear trunk.

And the thing holding back Corvette from being the best car it can be isn't the need to develop it around 2 golf bags or being daily driven, but the fact that it's a CHEVY and a base cost of 5 figures (actually those two are mutually inclusive). For what "it" is, the Corvette is already the best car it can be as a Chevrolet, and costing mid 5 figures to start.
Old 09-13-2018, 08:10 PM
Black18Z06
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

vndkshn (10-08-2018)
Old 09-13-2018, 11:37 PM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
How about 15 cubic feet of cargo space and 755 HP. Does the Porsche 718 offer that?
Nope. Doesn't mean the Corvette isn't compromised in ways the 718 isn't. It's OK though, I think the C8 will solve that.

Again, its probably due more to the Corvette's buyers than anything. Chevy is giving people what they want so I guess I can't argue with what sells.

Last edited by Kappa; 09-13-2018 at 11:38 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To What about trunk space?

Old 09-14-2018, 12:19 AM
vetteman41960
Burning Brakes

Received 1,051 Likes on 442 Posts

Nope. Doesn't mean the Corvette isn't compromised in ways the 718 isn't. It's OK though, I think the C8 will solve that.

Again, its probably due more to the Corvette's buyers than anything. Chevy is giving people what they want so I guess I can't argue with what sells.
GM is going rear mid engine for ONE reason. Performance that's been clearly stated by the chief engineer Tadge.

Funny I never have once seen on the Ferrari forum 1 person complain that there not room for 2 set of golf clubs or that the storage space in unacceptable.

The C8 is going in the direction of a true pure breed sports car.

The current Corvettes are GT cars not pure breed sports cars. Current Corvette are a true GT with capabilities of a sports car.

Ferrari make the 488 and the 812 Superfast. 488 is pure breed sports car and the 812 Super fast is a luxury GT that has sports car capabilities .

For all those who don't understand why GM is going rear mid engine all I have to say is go drive a Ferrari 458 488 or a Lamborghini Huracan.

The 458 and Huracan are the real deal sports cars.

The 812 superfast and the C7 z06 ZR1 are GT cars with sports car capabilities.

I am not knocking Corvette C7 or the Superfast both great GT cars with excellent performance.

That being said it a different driving dynamic from driving the 458 /488.

Those who don't understand all I can say is go visit your local Ferrari dealership and text drive the 458 / 488 after a 10 minute test drive you never have to ask why GM is going mid engine and away from the GT format.

Hopefully GM builds the C7.5 and the C8 that way all Corvette guys get what they want.

Go ahead and fire away for those who won't believe that aGT and a rear mid engine sports car are two completely different driving dynamics.

Then drive a rear mid engine V8 and you see I am right when it comes to the vast difference in driving experience.

It not about which platform is faster which some on this forum will use aa a debate.

That being fast is only one dynamic that make a Gt and a sports car very similar but there are much more to experience than flat out speed in a sports car.
PurpleLion (09-14-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 03:50 AM
flyingbunnys
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by vetteman41960
GM is going rear mid engine for ONE reason. Performance that's been clearly stated by the chief engineer Tadge.

Funny I never have once seen on the Ferrari forum 1 person complain that there not room for 2 set of golf clubs or that the storage space in unacceptable.

The C8 is going in the direction of a true pure breed sports car.

The current Corvettes are GT cars not pure breed sports cars. Current Corvette are a true GT with capabilities of a sports car.

Ferrari make the 488 and the 812 Superfast. 488 is pure breed sports car and the 812 Super fast is a luxury GT that has sports car capabilities .

For all those who don't understand why GM is going rear mid engine all I have to say is go drive a Ferrari 458 488 or a Lamborghini Huracan.

The 458 and Huracan are the real deal sports cars.

The 812 superfast and the C7 z06 ZR1 are GT cars with sports car capabilities.

I am not knocking Corvette C7 or the Superfast both great GT cars with excellent performance.

That being said it a different driving dynamic from driving the 458 /488.

Those who don't understand all I can say is go visit your local Ferrari dealership and text drive the 458 / 488 after a 10 minute test drive you never have to ask why GM is going mid engine and away from the GT format.

Hopefully GM builds the C7.5 and the C8 that way all Corvette guys get what they want.

Go ahead and fire away for those who won't believe that aGT and a rear mid engine sports car are two completely different driving dynamics.

Then drive a rear mid engine V8 and you see I am right when it comes to the vast difference in driving experience.

It not about which platform is faster which some on this forum will use aa a debate.

That being fast is only one dynamic that make a Gt and a sports car very similar but there are much more to experience than flat out speed in a sports car.
Then go to your Honda dealer and drive the civic type r. Spoiler alert on real roads in real life and not on a track the civic will give the best driving experience and its front wheel drive front engine. Actually to be honest I get more driving experience out of my saab 93 then my Vette. One of the most fun cars I've driven is a Toyota echo. Skinny tires light weight ok power. Even at public speed limits you feel like the cars at the limit on a track. Sometimes less is more.
​​​​​​
I have my corvette for looks and practicality nothing more. It could have had the 2.0t or all I care.

I don't understand what you mean by compromised. What's compromised?

Last edited by flyingbunnys; 09-14-2018 at 03:52 AM.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:04 AM
Ted P
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 129 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by flyingbunnys
Then go to your Honda dealer and drive the civic type r. Spoiler alert on real roads in real life and not on a track the civic will give the best driving experience and its front wheel drive front engine. Actually to be honest I get more driving experience out of my saab 93 then my Vette. One of the most fun cars I've driven is a Toyota echo. Skinny tires light weight ok power. Even at public speed limits you feel like the cars at the limit on a track. Sometimes less is more.
​​​​​​
I have my corvette for looks and practicality nothing more. It could have had the 2.0t or all I care.

I don't understand what you mean by compromised. What's compromised?

wow I had to read this twice when you actually said a Civic and a 93 Saab were better driving experiences than a c7.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ted P:
ArmchairArchitect (11-01-2018), vndkshn (10-08-2018)

Quick Reply: What about trunk space?