Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Side scoop to door location

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 10:36 PM
Tyler_RN_EMT
Pro

Received 173 Likes on 89 Posts

Default Side scoop to door location

I’ve seen a lot of back and forth on whether the side “scoop” extends into the door area and how this might be incorporated. Many people are saying things about fake panels and think that the scoop will not incorporate into the door area and that the “triangles” on the doors are fake panels etc.

i haven't seen anyone reference back to this pic in a while and I think it elaborates a lot more now that we’ve seen the “decladded” camo-only cars. I never even really noticed that scoop back when this pic first released!

what are your thoughts?

-Tyler

Last edited by Tyler_RN_EMT; 10-01-2018 at 10:38 PM.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:47 PM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,157 Likes on 650 Posts

The scoop is as you see it in the latest pictures and videos in Germany .
Old 10-02-2018, 11:57 AM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

Originally Posted by pietro c7
Yes, but are those scoops padded in any way under all that camo?
Old 10-02-2018, 12:25 PM
VetterFlyer
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 49 Posts

A great place to hide the door handle/button, vs the hole on the C7.
Old 10-07-2018, 02:45 PM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Received 1,039 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by pietro c7
If true then the C8 will be a spectacular flop. Those Nurburgring scoops were among the most unimaginative and uncohesive scoops of any ME car to date.

Considering the '19 Camaro? You may be right. Design at GM has taken a nose dive lately.

Old 10-07-2018, 03:39 PM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,157 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by Zaro Tundov
If true then the C8 will be a spectacular flop. Those Nurburgring scoops were among the most unimaginative and uncohesive scoops of any ME car to date.

Considering the '19 Camaro? You may be right. Design at GM has taken a nose dive lately.
They don’t have to pull rabbits out hats...
Make it sleek,price it properly and sell 30000 units.
Simple
The following users liked this post:
ZishanM (10-11-2018)
Old 10-07-2018, 09:41 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

I have my concerns with the scoops. I feel that what we are seeing are fake, at least the part on the door. Look at these pics:

This one clearly shows the door lines. You can see how far the top of the scoop extends into the door.

On this one it looks as if the leading edge is trying to fall off. Appears damaged on the left end. The right end is not flared into the car, just a blunt end setting on top of the door panel. I would think that if it was real it would be flared into the

And in this one on the other side does not line up with the rest of the scoop.

Tom...

Last edited by Tom73; 10-07-2018 at 09:53 PM.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:18 AM
Kodiak Bear
Drifting

Received 715 Likes on 427 Posts

Take a look at the Corvette GTP 1984 thru 1989. I know it's Lola based, but it was GM "styled" to "look like" a Corvette. Look at the side scoops location and shape ( in both dimensions). It maps pretty close.
firstvettesoon (10-08-2018)
Old 10-08-2018, 10:33 AM
Kodiak Bear
Drifting

Default Side door scoop from GTP

]
The following 2 users liked this post by Kodiak Bear:
elegant (10-08-2018), firstvettesoon (10-08-2018)
Old 10-08-2018, 12:06 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Kodiak Bear

]
Arn’t the engine cooling radiators in the back on these, thus the need for the huge side scoops.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:50 PM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Received 495 Likes on 260 Posts
Default Previously discussed

Originally Posted by Tyler_RN_EMT
I’ve seen a lot of back and forth on whether the side “scoop” extends into the door area and how this might be incorporated. Many people are saying things about fake panels and think that the scoop will not incorporate into the door area and that the “triangles” on the doors are fake panels etc.

i haven't seen anyone reference back to this pic in a while and I think it elaborates a lot more now that we’ve seen the “decladded” camo-only cars. I never even really noticed that scoop back when this pic first released!

what are your thoughts?

-Tyler
FYI, that pic and the door structure in particular were discussed at some length.
Old 10-08-2018, 02:24 PM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Received 495 Likes on 260 Posts
Default Pics illustrate key features

Originally Posted by Tom73
I have my concerns with the scoops. I feel that what we are seeing are fake, at least the part on the door. Look at these pics:

This one clearly shows the door lines. You can see how far the top of the scoop extends into the door.

On this one it looks as if the leading edge is trying to fall off. Appears damaged on the left end. The right end is not flared into the car, just a blunt end setting on top of the door panel. I would think that if it was real it would be flared into the

And in this one on the other side does not line up with the rest of the scoop.

Tom...
Actually these photos seem to illustrate the high beltline and short greenhouse best.
aCTUALLY
Old 10-08-2018, 02:38 PM
fumbling
Pro

Received 152 Likes on 102 Posts

If the scoop is a part of the door, looks like maybe the door "handle" is on the inside of the scoop?
Old 10-08-2018, 07:55 PM
Kodiak Bear
Drifting

Default The plot thickens

Originally Posted by Tom73

Arn’t the engine cooling radiators in the back on these, thus the need for the huge side scoops.

As far as I know you're right.
Now look at the CERV III Concept which was a productionized version of the Indy. Much smaller side scoop. Neither extend outside as a scoop. So, regardless of the radiator placement, I don't buy "ice cream" air scoops extending out of the sides.
Front radiator causes some packaging issues with plumbing from engine to radiator and back through the passanger cabin with resulting heat transfer issues. The fronts that we've seen on the me test mules raise all sorts of questions in my mind. But that's another set of issues.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:49 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by IronV
Actually these photos seem to illustrate the high beltline and short greenhouse best.
aCTUALLY

It aint that high man.... no higher than the C7...I promise...
Old 10-09-2018, 08:17 PM
Yarbie
Burning Brakes

Received 391 Likes on 218 Posts

Its gonna be hell cleaning the bugs and birds out of those hideous things.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:17 PM
ACCHRM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 45 Posts

What's not gonna be hell is when you don't need to do it, so don't buy one, it's that easy! lol

Get notified of new replies

To Side scoop to door location

Old 10-10-2018, 09:57 AM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Received 1,039 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by Yarbie
Its gonna be hell cleaning the bugs and birds out of those hideous things.
You mean you're going to drive yours? Like, outside?

Last edited by Zaro Tundov; 10-10-2018 at 09:58 AM.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:43 AM
C7pimp
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by firstvettesoon

It aint that high man.... no higher than the C7...I promise...
Several people have tried to tell him. He's hell bent on his provably wrong position. He'll continue to spout the same retarded comments about how it' high, narrow, etc when we have actually scaled the car and shown that it's not. It's almost exactly the same overall height, width, etc as the current C7, give or take a 1/2 inch. (Then he'll post some picture he thinks proves his assertion without comment as if it proves anything other than a different focal length on the camera taking the picture)

IF the roofline is lower, which I hope it is, and the bottom of the side windows are equally the same distance from the ground as the C7, the belt line would technically be higher visually, but would also make for a more exotic stance which is certainly welcome by pretty everyone.
Old 10-10-2018, 01:36 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,373 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by Tyler_RN_EMT

what are your thoughts?

-Tyler
If you don't mind my borrowing this photo I had drawn some very crude lines on it... It is really grainy but this is what I see...

The red line represents the current side scoop that we're seeing on the un masked cars. The yellow represents the actual body lines of the scoop. That being said, if you extend the vertical portion of the yellow line up and around you'll follow another body line, the one I think is the true line. If there is in fact no scoop on the door, this is what it would look like...

I don't really see a benefit to this as it's just a pocket for wind noise almost right in your ear and the way it's shaped would actually provide lift as opposed to down force to my eye... mind you I didn't model it in my CFD suite but still... it also would reduce velocity through the duct because you're starting with a smaller opening than that on the rear fender... hard to tell.
vndkshn (10-10-2018)

Quick Reply: Side scoop to door location