Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full 360° render of the C8 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 09:04 AM
Goaty
Pro

Received 199 Likes on 88 Posts

I don't like what I'm seeing but reserving final judgement for the reveal. To me it is dull, uninspired, boring and lacking character, but it's all still speculation.
The following 2 users liked this post by Goaty:
IronV (10-19-2018), Shaka (10-18-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 09:08 AM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by 555ctsv
I completely agree however it is my opinion him repeating his negative opinions over and over and over (and over and over) is tiresome.

I guess i should just take others advice and block his posts from view. I hear it makes for a more enjoyable forum experience
Ed Welburn is an American just like all of GM's design chiefs were. Now GM has an Australian CD with no comprehension of what an American is. To block IRONV is to block America. All GM car design for the next 20 years will be guided by Michael Simcoe who has lived upside down all his life as a convict. Welburn would never have let this car be born. Make Corvette great again, dump this thing now.
The following users liked this post:
IronV (10-18-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 09:53 AM
oregonsharkman
Melting Slicks

Received 938 Likes on 364 Posts

Great job! I like what I am seeing on about 90% of that render.

I'll reserve final judgment until I can park my GS next to a C8 and compare, but at this point there is a good chance of a C8 in my future.
The following 2 users liked this post by oregonsharkman:
elegant (10-18-2018), vettesweetnos (10-18-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 09:54 AM
555ctsv
Burning Brakes

Received 785 Likes on 340 Posts

Sorry for being crabby at IronV this morning, there will be no blocking, I'll go back to lurking until this car is actually announced

maga!!
vettesweetnos (10-18-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 10:18 AM
tomlink
Pro

Received 221 Likes on 124 Posts

Great render BD,

As you mentioned, you have captured the shape of the ME camo mules which have been intentionally covered and distorted to obfuscate the production body design. No wonder some pronounce it ugly - it wasn't camouflaged to make it pretty.

Some on CF who appear to have inside knowledge advise that front and rear decks have been heavily camo'ed to hide body contours. The problem is that we don't have any real clues as to what those contours may be - which precludes any accurate judgement on the design.

One area that we do have some guidance is the side air intakes. Even casual observation reveals that the true intake shapes have been covered and camo wrapped.

IMHO, the true shape of the intake is revealed on the C8R. The angles, arcs, and edge bevels are extremely detailed (and pretty sexy I think). I can't imagine that they weren't lifted off the production design.

It would be interesting if you could overlay and scale the C8R side intake on your render. I think it would get us closer to the production design - until further reveals.

Last edited by tomlink; 10-18-2018 at 10:23 AM.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:20 AM
Shaka
Safety Car

Sorry for being crabby at IronV this morning, there will be no blocking, I'll go back to lurking until this car is actually announced

maga!!
That's mighty big of you. There are a few decent people left in America. The Corvette syndrome is an incurable disease. Some guys have it bad. Be gentle with them. This is a major event in their lives, the anticipation of the next generation Vette.

This is the worst I've ever seen it. From FE to ME Corvette is a traumatic seismic event. Having said that, if the C8 turns out to be a turd, the designers should face long prison sentences for defacing an American national symbol. It's like messing with the Washington monument. There is so much at stake. The whole car loving world is anticipating this historical event at a biblical level. Have compassion for these people.
Don't lurk, OK? Come out swinging. Corvette guys are tough, they can take it.

The following 2 users liked this post by Shaka:
IronV (10-18-2018), rsvette12 (10-18-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 10:33 AM
Bikeman
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

This is the Forum. It is for opinions.To each his own,Howe ever if the C8 is anywhere close to that I’ll pass. It a gross caricature. I’d liken it to a Jackalope.Some combination of disparate shapes. The rear is downright butt ugly. The front is deminuative and disproportionate.Nothing flows or fits.How anyone could find that acceptable for what we’ve been waiting for is beyond me.Not criticizing anyone. Just my observations. I surely hope were all happy in a few months.
The following 3 users liked this post by Bikeman:
IronV (10-18-2018), rsvette12 (10-18-2018), Shaka (10-18-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 10:48 AM
DocHollywood
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

You know, we need a poll. I see so many people post that they like the renders and can't wait to buy one, and others think it's hideous (like me). Are the preferences breaking along age lines? Seems like those who really like older gen vettes seem to like the renders.... I'm just not sure.

What I do know is that this (below) is an UGLY car.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:09 AM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by DocHollywood
You know, we need a poll. I see so many people post that they like the renders and can't wait to buy one, and others think it's hideous (like me). Are the preferences breaking along age lines? Seems like those who really like older gen vettes seem to like the renders.... I'm just not sure.

My concern is the side scoops. Hate the thought of having to clean cats and small children out of them on a daily basis.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:13 AM
C7pimp
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by bdsvavars
Here is a 3d visualisation of the c8 Corvette i made. I used Photogrammetry on videos of the camouflaged test car to get the proportions as close as possible. I modeled a clean model over the the Photogrammetry model to get everything nice and clean but i didn´t include any details like lights mirrors etc... i just wanted to capture the main shapes of the car. There is of course some guess work involved here since the Photogrammetry wasn´t perfect but it should be damn close.

Looks cool but you have clearly missed quite a significant amount of detail in the lines and sculpting of the car. The overall general profile looks good but the devil is in the details and you have missed A LOT of them.

Last edited by C7pimp; 10-18-2018 at 11:15 AM.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:02 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Tom73

My concern is the side scoops. Hate the thought of having to clean cats and small children out of them on a daily basis.
All those wheels should be at a positive camber, not negative. Just saying.
IronV (10-18-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 12:08 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

The complete design of the C8 was finished before Ed Welburn retired.

Michael Simcoe’s first influence on the C8 will be the 2021 HP version (which BTW was completed a year or so ago).

Last edited by elegant; 10-18-2018 at 12:08 PM.
Shaka (10-18-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 12:19 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

"Originally Posted by IronV
I appreciate your efforts very much. And I think you have successfully rendered what's most important: that is the basic shapes, proportions, and contours.

Unfortunately, that is one ugly car. I'm talking about something more than just unattractive. I'm talking Aztek type ugly.

What a waste.

Seriously. You guys who say you like it... really?"

I just wish you could be as creative with your critiques as you wish the designers to be with the C8.

Your avatar is awesome. That's about it...

Last edited by Rapid Fred; 10-18-2018 at 12:27 PM.
CorvettoBrando (10-22-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 12:19 PM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 315 Posts

I completely agree however it is my opinion him repeating his negative opinions over and over and over (and over and over) is tiresome.

I guess i should just take others advice and block his posts from view. I hear it makes for a more enjoyable forum experience
How do I block them? I have looked and don't see the option. His is one of several that I would love to block. And I'm sure some would love to block mine as well.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:37 PM
NewYuriCity
Racer

Received 235 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by DocHollywood

What I do know is that, like below, with a bit of makeup it's possible to make a pretty thing ugly I have to assume that's what the Corvette team is trying to do with the camouflage, because the general shape and silhouette of the car is very attractive.

The following 2 users liked this post by NewYuriCity:
elegant (10-18-2018), Rapid Fred (10-18-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 02:02 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Originally Posted by elegant
The complete design of the C8 was finished before Ed Welburn retired.

Michael Simcoe’s first influence on the C8 will be the 2021 HP version (which BTW was completed a year or so ago).
Who feels foolish now?
Old 10-18-2018, 02:39 PM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Received 495 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaka
They waited for Ed Welburn to leave GM before they continued with this abortion. Shame on GM. As a Corvette lover, Ed lovingly restored Mitchell's Stingray. He understood culture.
Lamborghini obeyed European pedestrian laws as did Corvette. Because there had to be space for golf clubs up front, the front became that of a regular ugly passenger car. Corvette continued with their awful looking splitter in order to deflect pedestrians over the roof of the car. Lamborghini did it this way, like all ME sports cars do. You simply can't have a high nose on a ME car

. To attempt to recover from this fauxpar, the rest of the car has to suffer.

Shaka has offered a suite of original but beautiful designs that reflect good design continuity and flow--including FVS renders. Love or hate it, it's difficult for me to understand how anyone could put the thing depicted in the 360 degree render in the same class with any of them. Love it or hate it, the C8 as we see it today has nothing in common from the perspective of a coherent design ethic with any of them.

The Pontiac Aztek was a classic case of design-by-committee atrocity. The C8 is displaying many of the same traits: geometric overload, lack of front to rear fluidity, aimless vernacular...

Good grief, people.

The people at GM responsible for this thing should not just be tried for crimes against design, they should be tried at the Hague for crimes against humanity.

Last edited by IronV; 10-18-2018 at 02:41 PM.
PurpleLion (10-18-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Full 360° render of the C8 Corvette

Old 10-18-2018, 03:40 PM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

Received 794 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by IronV
Shaka has offered a suite of original but beautiful designs that reflect good design continuity and flow--including FVS renders. Love or hate it, it's difficult for me to understand how anyone could put the thing depicted in the 360 degree render in the same class with any of them. Love it or hate it, the C8 as we see it today has nothing in common from the perspective of a coherent design ethic with any of them.
Different strokes for different folks, I personally like it as is, but then again I also like all of the current mid engine models out there, so perhaps I am biased.

The Pontiac Aztek was a classic case of design-by-committee atrocity. The C8 is displaying many of the same traits: geometric overload, lack of front to rear fluidity, aimless vernacular...
I think you are over simplifying this. The C8 has to make design concessions in order to be affordable and daily driven, those super low, long front ends on those examples would make zero sense on a car that is driven regularly on the street, and not just trailered to the local cars and coffee to compare ***** length and girth. Of course you'll say "Why not have a suspension lift system, like on the exotics?" Because its expensive and would not really be considered optional for most folks, I'd really hate to have to choose between something that is a necessity and some other cool option in order to meet a price that I budget for. The designers are taking this into consideration I'm sure, and that's why the front over hang is not as low or long as all of those examples.

Try not to forget that many of us, actually use our Corvettes for driving to work, or picking up groceries, because this isn't a retirement toy for us younger buyers.

Good grief, people.

The people at GM responsible for this thing should not just be tried for crimes against design, they should be tried at the Hague for crimes against humanity.
I think they should be lauded as true pioneers of affordable mid engine, daily drivable, high performance automobiles that retain a design language that definitely resembles a Corvette. In fact I would go so far as to say that the people responsible for this design deserve public recognition, because it had to be one hell of a high pressure job to put on this team.
CorvettoBrando (10-22-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 04:04 PM
PurpleLion
Burning Brakes

Received 857 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermassive
The C8 has to make design concessions in order to be affordable and daily driven.
There is absolutely nothing in the design requirements that mandates that the C8 be ugly. Beautiful does not cost more! The only exception to this might be GM's desire to increase the luggage capacity of the frunk. But, if this is the reason for the hideous front, it is GM's error. We don't have to have the ability to carry golf clubs!
IronV (10-19-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 04:28 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Originally Posted by PurpleLion
There is absolutely nothing in the design requirements that mandates that the C8 be ugly. Beautiful does not cost more! The only exception to this might be GM's desire to increase the luggage capacity of the frunk. But, if this is the reason for the hideous front, it is GM's error. We don't have to have the ability to carry golf clubs!
If you have to play golf and the wife has the Suburban and you are forced to take only one club in your C8, do what Kevin Costner did. He played 18 holes on par using only his 7 iron.

Quick Reply: Full 360° render of the C8 Corvette