Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full 360° render of the C8 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 04:09 PM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Received 495 Likes on 260 Posts
Default Can't speak for Shaka, but I'll take it...

Originally Posted by Supermassive
...While I personally can't agree with Shaka and IronV on the looks at least they provide some entertainment and sometimes even provide useful information (just digging here!).
Just to be clear, Shaka's the one with useful information. I just provide the entertainment...
Old 10-19-2018, 04:16 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by IronV
Just to be clear, Shaka's the one with useful information. I just provide the entertainment...
You can't believe anything on the internet, especially if it is posted by me. My advice is free, you only pay for it when you take it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Shaka:
firstvettesoon (10-19-2018), IronV (10-19-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 04:19 PM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Default Dreams die hard...

Originally Posted by Shaka
A quick chop job. What if the whole front end is fake?
Even I will hang onto a thread of hope...
Old 10-19-2018, 04:26 PM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Default "Ah say the boy don't listen too good..."

Originally Posted by Darion
Well done on the 360° of the C8 with what ya had to go off of.

His condescending petulant approach to sharing that opinion in every thread is very tiresome. As he said, except in this case I'm right, which in his mind is all it's apparently about.

PC

Old 10-19-2018, 05:17 PM
Darion
Safety Car

Received 232 Likes on 142 Posts

Joke is on you, you said it, and not just in this thread, ya been pushing your right for a couple months. Thx

PC
The following users liked this post:
IronV (10-19-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 09:39 PM
Old School
Burning Brakes

Received 424 Likes on 254 Posts

I think I know what's going on here. GM is trolling hideous renderings and ugly camo'd test mules to clear out C7 inventory.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:56 PM
ZERRY 316
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 63 Posts

That is YOUR opinion
Old 10-19-2018, 11:31 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Default Clueless

I appreciate your efforts very much. And I think you have successfully rendered what's most important: that is the basic shapes, proportions, and contours.

Unfortunately, that is one ugly car. I'm talking about something more than just unattractive. I'm talking Aztek type ugly.

What a waste.

P.S. Good lord. I had to add this... It's so hideous, I'm laughing. It can't be that bad!

Seriously. You guys who say you like it... really?
Idiot alert...………..
The following 2 users liked this post by Racer:
ACCHRM (10-20-2018), IronV (10-20-2018)
Old 10-20-2018, 01:01 AM
SpryGeezer
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

There are only two basic automobile body shapes:
1. Supermarket shrink-wrapped ground meat.
2. Contemporaneous electric shaver.
I'll pass judgement when I see an OEM C8 in a Chevy dealer showroom.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:44 AM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Received 1,039 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by SpryGeezer
I'll pass judgement when I see an OEM C8 in a Chevy dealer showroom.
Wise words. I can't believe how so many have given up all hope based on a heavily camouflaged pre-production C8 and a few ugly renders.

Guys, the render in this thread is ugly. Powerful ugly. The kind of ugly that cannot be unseen.

Almost as ugly as this car:

I could try to reassure everyone, but instead I'll offer up the worst case scenario: Chevy drops a butt-ugly C8 on the world.

Then we'll all sigh, drive over to the nearest Porsche dealer (or "preowned" car lot), and trade in our C7s on something new to us. Then after we've driven the longest way home and then some, the C8 will be down the memory hole as we frantically register at Porsche forums to chat about the teutonic awesomeness in our garages.

Last edited by Zaro Tundov; 10-20-2018 at 10:41 AM.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:56 AM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by Zaro Tundov
Wise words. I can't believe how so many have given up all hope based on a heavily camouflaged pre-production C8 and a few ugly renders.

Guys, the render in this thread is ugly. Powerful ugly. The kind of ugly that cannot be unseen.

Almost as ugly as this car:

I could try to reassure everyone, but instead I'll offer up the worst case scenario: Chevy drops a butt-ugly C8 on the world.

Then we'll all sigh, drive over to the nearest Porsche dealer (or "preowned" car lot), and trade in our C7s on something new. Then after we've driven the longest way home and then some, the C8 will be down the memory hole as we frantically register at Porsche forums to chat about the teutonic awesomeness in our garages.

Old 10-20-2018, 10:37 AM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Received 1,039 Likes on 554 Posts

That ugly baby is going to grow into one powerful ugly adult!
Old 10-20-2018, 11:49 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by Zaro Tundov

Then we'll all sigh, drive over to the nearest Porsche dealer (or "preowned" car lot), and trade in our C7s on something new to us. Then after we've driven the longest way home and then some, the C8 will be down the memory hole as we frantically register at Porsche forums to chat about the teutonic awesomeness in our garages.
I agree folks are going through the same hate it/love it speculative process that's occurred before every anticipated new model. The C7 mules in camo led to some pretty horrific-looking renders. The same is true here. I happen to like the shape in this thread pretty well, but won't take anything seriously until the actual reveal.

And, I think you meant to say complain "about the teutonic awesomeness . . ." above.
Old 10-20-2018, 02:02 PM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Default As long as my avatar is awesome, i'm cool...

Originally Posted by Atomic Fred
"Originally Posted by IronV

Unfortunately, that is one ugly car. I'm talking about something more than just unattractive. I'm talking Aztek type ugly...

I just wish you could be as creative with your critiques as you wish the designers to be with the C8.
Your avatar is awesome. That's about it...

My avatar is awesome.
Old 10-20-2018, 02:57 PM
hue008x
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't say it was ugly, but it hardly seems competitive with most of what is on sale now. Hopefully it will look better in the flesh.
Old 10-20-2018, 08:51 PM
car junkie
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 80 Posts

I thought he meant this...

good description actually

Aztec

The following users liked this post:
IronV (10-20-2018)
Old 10-22-2018, 12:16 AM
RSbeast
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

OK. This is an interesting comment; it runs exactly counter to my longstanding contention, namely that most of the renders do not reflect the reality of the basic shapes and proportions seen on the real car. My belief is the 360 degree render and the similar orange render predict the real thing accurately.

That's why open forums, where all ideas are freely exchanged are so valuable.
Your eyes are deceiving you then, especially if you look into the details. It’s a measure of finite relationships, angles and scaling.

Design is a matter of subtlety and proportion. ‘The basic shape” just doesn’t cut it for me. I know, I’m practiced and degreed at it. That 3D render loses some very important lines from the spy shots, taughntess in curves, sculpting discrepancies and outright horribly wrong surfacing and shape of the rear duct work.

”Close” doesn’t cut it. These are make or break items. Wheelbase, certain thicknesses, beltlines, tumblehome; you name it, it’s a factor.

The 3D model provided is borderline amateur in those respects.

Its like seeing a kit car vs the real thing. All your basic elements are there, but the harmony isn’t quite right. It’s what makes one seem stunning, and the other laughable.

Get notified of new replies

To Full 360° render of the C8 Corvette

Old 10-22-2018, 01:32 AM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Default Yo. The Proportions thing, Dawg.

Originally Posted by RSbeast

Your eyes are deceiving you then, especially if you look into the details. It’s a measure of finite relationships, angles and scaling.

Design is a matter of subtlety and proportion. ‘The basic shape” just doesn’t cut it for me. I know, I’m practiced and degreed at it. That 3D render loses some very important lines from the spy shots, taughntess in curves, sculpting discrepancies and outright horribly wrong surfacing and shape of the rear duct work.

”Close” doesn’t cut it. These are make or break items. Wheelbase, certain thicknesses, beltlines, tumblehome; you name it, it’s a factor.

The 3D model provided is borderline amateur in those respects.

Its like seeing a kit car vs the real thing. All your basic elements are there, but the harmony isn’t quite right. It’s what makes one seem stunning, and the other laughable.

Are you making my point? Not sure...

Here's the deal: While there is indeed a LOT of subtlety that can impact design effectiveness, it's also true that all the make-up in the world can't make a pig into anything more than a dressed-up pig.

The 360-degree and fat orange renders confirm my impressions of the FUNDAMENTAL C8 design direction.

Maybe I'm wrong. I hope I'm wrong.

But if I'm not wrong, there is no amount of subtlety or decoration that can save it. Welcome to the C8 Aztek.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:54 AM
RSbeast
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

Yo Dawg...

Its gonna be a no from me.

I don’t expect you to like the outcome. I’m not even arguing where I can see someone wouldn’t like it. I don’t think I’m going to be close to in love myself. But semantically the lip sticked pig can still have some phenomenal design elements.

I however will argue (vs the 3D) is that you’re going to see a more cohesive design as a whole.

I think they’ll be pulling strongly with relationships in the nose of the car to be recognized as Corvette. TBH the nose and current lights are more c6 than thinking past the 7. These leaks aren’t accidental. They want familiarity by the time they actually release. If you went from total media black out to finished product, you’re going to have more crazy blowback. We saw this slightly with the c7; which I expect to happen again. The projected *** end of the c8 is looking abysmal, esp with the cheap little wing.

I was a big c7 hater, I’m still not the biggest fan in every element, but when I see it now; after getting used to seeing it so much, it’s 100% corvette. I expect the same with the c8.
Old 10-22-2018, 02:10 AM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Good luck with that...

The best estimate of the mouth as seen in pictures of the actual C8, is of one designed to strain huge quantities of plankton.

Last edited by IronV; 10-22-2018 at 02:26 AM. Reason: accuracy

Quick Reply: Full 360° render of the C8 Corvette