Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

chazcron's 3D model work in progress

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 11:16 AM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Received 869 Likes on 540 Posts

Very hard to believe that Corvette would bet the ranch on a design like this. If this is all we get going forward, the end is near.
Old 04-24-2019, 07:15 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by PCMIII
Very hard to believe that Corvette would bet the ranch on a design like this. If this is all we get going forward, the end is near.
Really, they bet the ranch with all of them.

If you have a decent memory, you know the wailing about the C7, based on a very accurate but soulless, 2D render, and a bunch of camo'd beta cars, was as great as this time around. Maybe they are due for a flop, but a wise person would bet this next generation will be a resounding success like all the others (post-1955) once the wrap and tacked-on crap is gone and the actual car is seen and driven...
The following 2 users liked this post by Rapid Fred:
CorvettoBrando (04-25-2019), gthal (04-26-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 07:27 PM
Yarbie
Burning Brakes

Received 391 Likes on 218 Posts

The C8 will go down as one of the most hideous designs in history. It's absolutely terrible looking from front to back.
Sorry folks but it's terrible.
Old 04-24-2019, 07:50 PM
Darion
Safety Car

Received 232 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Yarbie
The C8 will go down as one of the most hideous designs in history. It's absolutely terrible looking from front to back.
Others are allowed to have a different opinion right?

PC
Old 04-24-2019, 07:52 PM
MikeG37
Drifting

Received 756 Likes on 351 Posts

The following 3 users liked this post by MikeG37:
JockItch (04-26-2019), Midlifegoals (04-27-2019), smoove7410 (04-25-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 08:26 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Darion

PC
Yes, after all Aztek actually sold 120 thousand vehicles over 5 years and the Nissan Juke sold over 175 thousand.

I would not be seen driving either one, but go ahead if you want to.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:27 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

But don't forget, it is also going to be very unreliable.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:43 PM
Darion
Safety Car

Originally Posted by PCMIII
Yes, after all Aztek actually sold 120 thousand vehicles over 5 years and the Nissan Juke sold over 175 thousand.

I would not be seen driving either one, but go ahead if you want to.
I see the similarities in the C8.

PC

Last edited by Darion; 04-24-2019 at 08:43 PM.
Old 04-25-2019, 12:45 AM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Do you have pix from when you saw this ugly mess in person? We'd all love to see the un-camo'd Vette on which your strong opinion is based.

If, however, you are basing it on the camo'd cars, well, you probably have just set a new standard for jumping to conclusions...
The following 2 users liked this post by Rapid Fred:
foreverfuelie (04-25-2019), r00t61 (04-25-2019)
Old 04-25-2019, 12:49 AM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Darion

PC
It's not so much about OPINIONS. I mean, who in this thread have ever actually SEEN the thing. The opinions are based on barely better than nothing!

I particularly find the strong negative opinions hilarious. The only logical conclusion is to look at a history of well-camo'd beta Vettes that many feared would be hideous, and all of which turned out to be very nice. Expecting something different to me is out on a limb (although the recent Camaros do give more credence to those who think ugly is inevitable...)

We'll see. But far more interesting to argue about Vettes we've actually seen...
Old 04-25-2019, 01:12 AM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Received 495 Likes on 260 Posts
Default Taking the wrap off can't change the basics

Originally Posted by Laguna Fred
It's not so much about OPINIONS. I mean, who in this thread have ever actually SEEN the thing. The opinions are based on barely better than nothing!

I particularly find the strong negative opinions hilarious. The only logical conclusion is to look at a history of well-camo'd beta Vettes that many feared would be hideous, and all of which turned out to be very nice. Expecting something different to me is out on a limb (although the recent Camaros do give more credence to those who think ugly is inevitable...)

We'll see. But far more interesting to argue about Vettes we've actually seen...
Of course, nobody's seen the car. But there's little possibility the actual car will differ significantly in basic proportions or the shape of major features, e.g. nose and ***. The car that seems to be emerging is blocky and has little shape. The fender peaks barely exist. The *** is huge and chaotic in detail. The mouth is so big that the top of the beak is nearly as high as the base of the windshield.

Does anyone dispute this? Is this controversial?

Again. Maybe you look at that description and say "Wow. No shape. Bulky as all hell. I love it!!!"

More power to you. But the basic shape, features and proportions are unlikely to change when the wrap comes off.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:59 AM
Darion
Safety Car

I see what you are saying but in all fairness, without opinions we wouldn't have a c8 section, lol. This whole section has been mostly folks reading what they believe the tea leaves mean.

As far as opinions go, yeah the strongly negative ones are the most fun considering it's all guess work. For me it's all good, the foundation, even in camo form, is fine with me. I do think the real thing will be more refined when some padding comes off.

Cheers

PC
Old 04-25-2019, 09:30 AM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by IronV
Of course, nobody's seen the car. But there's little possibility the actual car will differ significantly in basic proportions or the shape of major features, e.g. nose and ***. The car that seems to be emerging is blocky and has little shape. The fender peaks barely exist. The *** is huge and chaotic in detail. The mouth is so big that the top of the beak is nearly as high as the base of the windshield.

Does anyone dispute this? Is this controversial?

Again. Maybe you look at that description and say "Wow. No shape. Bulky as all hell. I love it!!!"

More power to you. But the basic shape, features and proportions are unlikely to change when the wrap comes off.
Actually, I pretty much dispute everything you say. And have from the beginning. I see purposeful. But, to be fair, I think the huge peaks on the C3 are kinda silly so when you see "no" peaks I am inclined to think a smooth and refined, wind-cheating shape.

It's all in the details, about which you and I know pretty much nothing...

But, I do like your avatar...
Old 04-25-2019, 01:20 PM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Default No. It's not in the details. It's in the proportions and the shape

Actually, I pretty much dispute everything you say. And have from the beginning. I see purposeful. But, to be fair, I think the huge peaks on the C3 are kinda silly so when you see "no" peaks I am inclined to think a smooth and refined, wind-cheating shape.

It's all in the details, about which you and I know pretty much nothing...

But, I do like your avatar...
You dispute that this thing appears to be thick and have little shape? You dispute it has no fender peaks (i.e. "shape?") You dispute the rear end is enormous and appears to be complex? You dispute the mouth is gigantic?

What are you disputing?

Again. If you like what you see, that's fine. But there's no point in disputing physical reality. And in my opinion, the "details" (such as the ridges on the hood and the chaos on the rear end) will only make it worse.

As for my avatar... "Zis is KAOS! Vee don't do round tail lights here!"
Old 04-25-2019, 11:34 PM
chazcron
Racer

Received 2,829 Likes on 358 Posts

Well, after much thought and pushing parts around, I came to the conclusion that the top most likely needs lie flat over the engine like the Ferrari. So I spent tonight reworking the engine cover and removing the window. :-(
Here's a grey game render of the progress, but it doesn't look like much.

The following 12 users liked this post by chazcron:
firstvettesoon (04-25-2019), Foosh (04-26-2019), GPaTom (04-26-2019), gthal (04-26-2019), MikeG37 (04-26-2019), Quinten33 (04-25-2019), r00t61 (04-27-2019), RapidC84B (04-30-2019), RedDropTop (04-25-2019), ReddyZ06 (04-29-2019), rsvette12 (04-26-2019), SpeedyD (04-28-2019) and 7 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-26-2019, 12:34 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Good work. I think that's more like it.
Old 04-26-2019, 12:50 AM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by IronV
You dispute that this thing appears to be thick and have little shape? You dispute it has no fender peaks (i.e. "shape?") You dispute the rear end is enormous and appears to be complex? You dispute the mouth is gigantic?

What are you disputing?

Again. If you like what you see, that's fine. But there's no point in disputing physical reality. And in my opinion, the "details" (such as the ridges on the hood and the chaos on the rear end) will only make it worse.

As for my avatar... "Zis is KAOS! Vee don't do round tail lights here!"
It is not a matter of "like." Those betas are repulsive -- on purpose. It is a matter of you seeing things that aint..

I see purposeful shaping and plenty of it; just not exaggerated and dated silliness. I see an ugly butt that is hiding who knows what (though the bumper leaked probably over a year ago is promising.) The mouth will be what it is. If it is well integrated for its purpose, I'll like it. Right now, who knows?

So, I'm disputing a panicky response based on insufficient data. Nothing more...

Last edited by Rapid Fred; 04-26-2019 at 12:52 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To chazcron's 3D model work in progress

Old 04-26-2019, 02:01 AM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Default You "see" shape??

It is not a matter of "like." Those betas are repulsive -- on purpose. It is a matter of you seeing things that aint..

I see purposeful shaping and plenty of it; just not exaggerated and dated silliness. I see an ugly butt that is hiding who knows what (though the bumper leaked probably over a year ago is promising.) The mouth will be what it is. If it is well integrated for its purpose, I'll like it. Right now, who knows?

So, I'm disputing a panicky response based on insufficient data. Nothing more...
Well point it out to me, Dude.

So far, I see a brick with random lines etched into it.
The following users liked this post:
blacheg (05-04-2019)
Old 04-26-2019, 03:11 AM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,837 Likes on 660 Posts

Originally Posted by WICKEDFRC
Now THIS is BADASS!!!!!
I've seen some renders of the C8 that I like, but that one looks horrifically bad to me. Sorry.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:52 AM
JockItch
Safety Car

Received 5,301 Likes on 1,974 Posts

Hilarious... haven't even seen the car yet but able to make such a ridiculous statement. You must have xray vision or can see into the future... impressive.

Quick Reply: chazcron's 3D model work in progress