Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

chazcron's 3D model work in progress

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 10:28 AM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by firstvettesoon
Thanks for your reply.

First, we need to remember that the renderings are based off the little we can actually see and "may know" from the CAD and eyewitness reports. They are likely not 100% accurate and has been noted, small differences in line and contour can make a dramatic difference in the final appearance. I accentuate the details and keep them a bit "hard" so the lines can be seen better. I believe this design will look MUCH better when in 3d and with correct lighting. It will look less dramatic and more sexy IMO.

The "bloated " comment I just don't see. It is no more bloated than the Ferrari and Mclaren... but maybe you don't like those either.

As you admit, these are your personal views on design...which may not be a mainstream view. Swoop and sexy streamlined mean different things to different people. IMO, MANY supercars are not exactly beautiful...but they are "sexy" and spark the imagination because of their outrageous performance/engineering driven design.

Some love the Porsche rounded, soft flowing surfaces... some hate it.
Some love the hard, sharp angular surfaces of the Lamborghini... some hate it.
Some love the flowing streamlined body lines of Ferrari...some love it more... ; )

Some love the older Corvette c2-c3 c5 designs more than the more modern c7... that's ok. There is something for everyone. Love is blind and beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

IMO, the c8 design brief is to first engineer a more reliable mid-engine car for everyday driving. B, design a car recognisable as a Corvette. An evolved updated and "modern" ised. version of the c7 taking some design concepts from major competitors. 3, develop solutions to some annoying but "lovable" features and quirks of the most popular competitors.

So far, I think the design we can see delivers some of this mandate already. I believe the car will be beautiful and exciting for many but those wanting to see a revival of the c3 or a GM version of a Miura etc may be disappointed.

Everyone has their own idea of beauty. Members here are MORE critical because they care more... that's why they hang around here. WE will be the harshest critics...no doubt. At the reveal... when the cover is pulled off, either we will gasp in awe... or we will cringe with horror... but IMO it will be the former for most.

BTW, the Aztek comment was just mean man...
You write very well, thanks. I love all cars but Corvettes are part of the family. We all are part of this family. You only say mean things about a Corvette or the family within the family but not outside of the home. The home of the bewildered. Lutz liked the Aztek.
The following users liked this post:
firstvettesoon (11-30-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 11:47 AM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,156 Likes on 516 Posts

blacked out grill.

I feel there will need to be something in the center to hold the LIC plate. No details so far...

Yes, that's exactly the reason for the blacked out fascia internals. They will also assist in stiffening the large openings and create a two part insert for the center section where the primary will integrate with the outboard vent design and a secondary center overlay where a license plate is required. Good job FVS !!

Last edited by skank; 12-01-2018 at 04:29 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by skank:
firstvettesoon (11-30-2018), JerriVette (12-07-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 12:36 PM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,144 Likes on 541 Posts

blacked out grill.

I feel there will need to be something in the center to hold the LIC plate. No details so far...

Beautiful job FVS! I do not see a car that is bloated, too tall, or Aztec-like. I guess some people need to bitch about something.

At first, I thought the C8 design looked like the generic type of ME car you might see in a body shop advertisement. Based on your efforts and those by Chazcron, I am confident the real thing will be an impressive design indeed and worthy of the Corvette name. Thanks for all your hard work!
The following 3 users liked this post by VETTE-NV:
C7pimp (11-30-2018), firstvettesoon (11-30-2018), JerriVette (12-07-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 02:14 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by IronV
FVS, the respect is mutual... The Aztek comment wasn't intended to be a wild *** slam. It's a serious comment on the design parallels between what seems to be the direction of the C8 and the Aztek.

They are both chaotic designs. A mess of lines, contours, angles, materials etc. They share all the hallmarks of a design by committee (and yeah, I'm qualified to say that).

Do you not see the difference in design flow and cohesion between many of your own renders and the what we're seeing in the C8 now?

And please. You don't see the difference in proportion and contour between the C8 and the Ford GT? The Porsche is a different issue. I will certainly grant you there is NO QUESTION the C8 will have more resemblance to the 911 than any Vette previously. That's cast in stone.

But is that a good thing? Not to me.
I know you were just trying to make a point by exaggerating the Aztek point but let me Q&A your points in bold one by one.

I do not see the design parallels between the Aztek and c8 as you seem to. Why on God's green Earth would GM copy design language of the Aztek for the Corvette C8 ? ; )

Is this the Aztek you think looks like my c8 rendering? Maybe there is another really cool one I don't know about?

I really don't see the resemblance or get an Aztek vibe... but I admit... the wheel lug nuts may be similar... ; )

I do not see the difference in design flow and cohesion between my render and the what we're seeing in the C8 camo pics They are identical as seen in the gif.
The camo gif shows the major lines and proportions exactly and they seem to me to be generally cohesive and pleasing if not "exotic" enough for some.

The Ford GT is not a fair comparison simply because of the mission of the car. I don't think the GT can be considered a daily driver and although it has some very cool design features and tech, I prefer the first one.

The best and fairest comparison for mission cars will be the 911 for sure. I feel it will be compared to the 458/488 as well but not A2A really. Other comparisons including Lambo IMO are Hyperish cars and not really apples to apples for style tho performance will be comparable I think.

You say we are looking at "A mess of lines, contours, angles, materials etc." but as the render sorts out to some degree, it is not...and we really don't know anything about materials at all.

I am curious to you background. You said you were qualified to criticize the design... What do you do that qualifies you...if you don't mind. Just curious.

Last edited by firstvettesoon; 11-30-2018 at 02:16 PM.
Rapid Fred (11-30-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 02:20 PM
chazcron
Racer

Received 2,829 Likes on 358 Posts
Default Callback to the first post

The headlight buckets are part modeled and part Photoshop. I'm rethinking the width of the car, based on front spy shots. It isn't apparent on most views, but it could affect the size and location of hood details a lot.

Last edited by chazcron; 11-30-2018 at 02:21 PM.
The following 10 users liked this post by chazcron:
ByByBMW (11-30-2018), elegant (11-30-2018), firstvettesoon (11-30-2018), Foosh (11-30-2018), FrankLP (12-09-2018), JerriVette (12-07-2018), John T (11-30-2018), k wright (12-01-2018), TSanders (12-01-2018), Wass (11-30-2018) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-30-2018, 03:37 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Old 11-30-2018, 04:41 PM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Received 495 Likes on 260 Posts
Default Aztek talk

I know you were just trying to make a point by exaggerating the Aztek point but let me Q&A your points in bold one by one.

I do not see the design parallels between the Aztek and c8 as you seem to. Why on God's green Earth would GM copy design language of the Aztek for the Corvette C8 ? ; )

Is this the Aztek you think looks like my c8 rendering? Maybe there is another really cool one I don't know about?

I really don't see the resemblance or get an Aztek vibe... but I admit... the wheel lug nuts may be similar... ; )

I do not see the difference in design flow and cohesion between my render and the what we're seeing in the C8 camo pics They are identical as seen in the gif.
The camo gif shows the major lines and proportions exactly and they seem to me to be generally cohesive and pleasing if not "exotic" enough for some.

The Ford GT is not a fair comparison simply because of the mission of the car. I don't think the GT can be considered a daily driver and although it has some very cool design features and tech, I prefer the first one.

The best and fairest comparison for mission cars will be the 911 for sure. I feel it will be compared to the 458/488 as well but not A2A really. Other comparisons including Lambo IMO are Hyperish cars and not really apples to apples for style tho performance will be comparable I think.

You say we are looking at "A mess of lines, contours, angles, materials etc." but as the render sorts out to some degree, it is not...and we really don't know anything about materials at all.

I am curious to you background. You said you were qualified to criticize the design... What do you do that qualifies you...if you don't mind. Just curious.
I never meant to imply the Aztek and C8 resembled one another. IMHO there are parallels in the design direction. They are both a chaotic assemblage of lines and detail. Clearly they're far from identical but to me they both strongly suggest design by committee.

Marketing Communications Director. I am NOT a designer. But I set their goals and supervise them.

Old 11-30-2018, 04:51 PM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Default Class act

Old 11-30-2018, 05:57 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by IronV
I never meant to imply the Aztek and C8 resembled one another. IMHO there are parallels in the design direction. They are both a chaotic assemblage of lines and detail. Clearly they're far from identical but to me they both strongly suggest design by committee.

Marketing Communications Director. I am NOT a designer. But I set their goals and supervise them.

I get ya...

I HOPE your fears are eased sooner than later...
PCMIII (11-30-2018)
Old 12-01-2018, 12:20 AM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,753 Likes on 4,182 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Default Warning to all....

Guys, I've just had to delete a LOT of pissing and BS. This thread is 28 pages-if you want to see it go longer than this, the personal bickering has to stop.
The following 9 users liked this post by Steve Garrett:
chazcron (12-01-2018), CorvettoBrando (12-06-2018), elegant (12-01-2018), MikeG37 (12-02-2018), PCMIII (12-01-2018), Rapid Fred (12-01-2018), tractman (12-07-2018), Wass (12-01-2018), zhopper05 (12-05-2018) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-01-2018, 08:25 PM
Random_Sample
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by chazcron
The headlight buckets are part modeled and part Photoshop. I'm rethinking the width of the car, based on front spy shots. It isn't apparent on most views, but it could affect the size and location of hood details a lot.

I can only imagine how many hours you have put into this work. With each tweak, I believe you are getting closer to what the released car will look like. The lights and the intakes may take quite a bit of guess work, but overall it's looking fantastic.

I love the design and think the real car will be beautiful.
Old 12-01-2018, 10:46 PM
k wright
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Any chance the side inlet will match the profile of the windows?
CorvettoBrando (12-06-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 10:45 PM
chazcron
Racer

Finally could see it was missing something in the grille and photoshopped this in. It looks better and I'll model it in the future, There is a sensor on the other side of it, near the vertical, so something goes in the middle too. I just dont know what. This follows a lot of recent proportion changes that aren't very apparent in this render. Not my favorite angle and I hate my lame headlight buckets. Good night.

Wass (12-04-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 10:53 PM
ZishanM
Pro

Received 276 Likes on 120 Posts

Finally could see it was missing something in the grille and photoshopped this in. It looks better and I'll model it in the future, There is a sensor on the other side of it, near the vertical, so something goes in the middle too. I just dont know what. This follows a lot of recent proportion changes that aren't very apparent in this render. Not my favorite angle and I hate my lame headlight buckets. Good night.

Amazing work. It's coming together.
tractman (12-07-2018)
Old 12-05-2018, 08:42 PM
chazcron
Racer

The following 9 users liked this post by chazcron:
bgspot (12-18-2018), FrankLP (12-09-2018), jdvann (12-05-2018), Quinten33 (12-05-2018), RapidC84B (12-05-2018), TEXASRANGER (12-05-2018), tractman (12-07-2018), Wass (12-06-2018), ZishanM (12-07-2018) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-05-2018, 08:50 PM
TFen
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 88 Posts

Like everything except the scoop.

I hope you're close.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:55 PM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,157 Likes on 650 Posts

Love it in a dark colour ,(I’m a dark blue or dark green person)
Very interesting bulging headlights and wrap around rear,it’s definately on the car ,I’m glad you noticed .

Looks great,
maybe it needs a little stretching?Sort of stubby.
Thanks again.

Get notified of new replies

To chazcron's 3D model work in progress

Old 12-05-2018, 09:17 PM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Default Not "sort of"

Originally Posted by pietro c7
Love it in a dark colour ,(I’m a dark blue or dark green person)
Very interesting bulging headlights and wrap around rear,it’s definately on the car ,I’m glad you noticed .

Looks great,
maybe it needs a little stretching?Sort of stubby.
Thanks again.

It's the real-deal "stubby."
Old 12-05-2018, 09:19 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Excellent work to Chazcron. But still not feeling this render "design."
Old 12-05-2018, 09:24 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

To be honest, it looks better without that whatever it is. Anyone have a guess what that individual bracket is on each side of the grill?
The following 2 users liked this post by WICKEDFRC:
FrankLP (12-09-2018), tractman (12-07-2018)

Quick Reply: chazcron's 3D model work in progress