Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there demand for a mid-engine Corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 10:40 AM
vetteLT193
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 524 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by exracer28
I am one of the old guys that have owned Corvettes for almost fifty years. I bought my first one when I got home from my 1st tour in Vietnam and have owned them in the good and bad years. I have three today C6Z06, C6GrandSport and a C5 track toy and do not plan on buying a new one until GM addresses quality issues that cause reliability issues. It has become even more difficult as GM has stopped supplying replacement parts. As a systems engineer for thirty years on aerospace programs I worked with reliability and maintainability as a part of product development which did give us a better product. I don't see anything about GM trying to improve the car and even on this forum I didn't read anything about a better car, just different. When GM improves the car and not just new part numbers and telling me the Kool-Aid taste great I will keep my money. KISS needs to be understood by GM designers and management as todays cars cannot be maintained by the dealerships.
Didn't they do that with the C7? The C4 was actually pretty good in the reliability department besides a couple odds and ends (optispark). The C5 they seemed to go rogue on the electronics. The interior of the C5 wasn't as nice as the C4 IMO but still decent... then the C6 came out and holy crap they went cheap. The C7 addressed many of the issues though and got the base interior back to where the C4 was at least and they offer a much nicer one. Reliability of the C7 is yet to be seen but it seems so far so good for the most part.
The following users liked this post:
pdiddy972 (11-19-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 11:16 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,626 Likes on 6,630 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaka
Another brilliant sensationalist post.
Yep, just forget science and like an ostrich stick your head in the sand and the internal combustion engine may get more energy efficient!
Zaro Tundov (11-05-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 01:39 PM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Received 1,039 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
The cargo thing, I dunno. They may do something similar to Cayman and have a rear cargo area above the engine, but that's still not as much room (though with a front storage boot and a rear cargo hatch itd better than most. Will it fit golf clubs? Maybe. Will it fit a weekend beach trips worth of stuff including a big *** cooler? Probably not.

Competitive pricing is open to interpretation. If they say that the 488 is their competition and it's a bargain at 170k base, they're not lying but the car fails. They wont ne able to price it in line with the c6 due to massive research and production investments, the c7 was fundamentally a c6, which was fundamentally a c5. The savings from building off an existing platform cannot be overstated. GM has to recoup its investments, and I'm sure they know a midengine car will sell less than the previous car so they have to recoup that money over fewer units... more money. I cant see it starting at less than 100k unless it's a loss leader, and there is no reason to do something like that.

I dont think a midengine Corvette Carrie's any additional coolness factor. Midengine cara arent non existant, you can buy an mr2 for nothing. Porsche sells a lot of boosters anand caimans. Lotus struggles to sell their mid engine cars. To 99% of people, mid engine means nothing, and adds no coolness.
Word is that base price will be within 5-10% of the C7. R&D is amortized over the entire C8 production run and since they had planned on going ME for the C7 it's likely that much of the ME platform development was completed prior to the C7 intro.

As for cargo space, we'll just have to wait and see. Those who know have been upbeat but they won't spill the beans.

I guess if a Porsche seems mundane to you then the C8 will just be another boring car. Ultimately they're all just manufactured contraptions that take you from point A to point B.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:18 PM
StancyPants
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm a young guy and what drew me Corvettes is that they dominated FIA GT for so long with their "archaic" technology-- the fact that they WEREN'T mid engines with DOHCs. I will miss the rowdy FR cars but I'm glad we got three great ones C5-7 and will look forward to owning and building a few as I get older. I'm not really interested in a mid engine high tech car but I understand that's where the world is now.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:44 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
The cargo thing, I dunno. They may do something similar to Cayman and have a rear cargo area above the engine, but that's still not as much room (though with a front storage boot and a rear cargo hatch itd better than most. Will it fit golf clubs? Maybe. Will it fit a weekend beach trips worth of stuff including a big *** cooler? Probably not.

Competitive pricing is open to interpretation. If they say that the 488 is their competition and it's a bargain at 170k base, they're not lying but the car fails. They wont ne able to price it in line with the c6 due to massive research and production investments, the c7 was fundamentally a c6, which was fundamentally a c5. The savings from building off an existing platform cannot be overstated. GM has to recoup its investments, and I'm sure they know a midengine car will sell less than the previous car so they have to recoup that money over fewer units... more money. I cant see it starting at less than 100k unless it's a loss leader, and there is no reason to do something like that.

I dont think a midengine Corvette Carrie's any additional coolness factor. Midengine cara arent non existant, you can buy an mr2 for nothing. Porsche sells a lot of boosters anand caimans. Lotus struggles to sell their mid engine cars. To 99% of people, mid engine means nothing, and adds no coolness.
So far this year, Acura has sold 173 of their mid engine NSX's in the US and Canada. Also, during the same time period, Mercedes has sold 1481 of it's front engine AMG GTs in the US and Canada plus a bunch of their other front engine two seaters.
The following 2 users liked this post by JoesC5:
bbison (11-12-2018), JustinStrife (11-23-2018)
Old 11-06-2018, 06:35 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Has Lotus ever sold large #s of anything out here, not sure on that one.
ME will sell like crazy, GMs going after a different crowd that doesnt complain as much imo.

Til they dumb down these electronic systems a LOT dont plan on less issues, for some reason Corvettes have always been a high maintenance car no matter what they year.
Love hate thing for em.
Old 11-06-2018, 06:45 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Has Lotus ever sold large #s of anything out here, not sure on that one.
ME will sell like crazy, GMs going after a different crowd that doesnt complain as much imo.

Til they dumb down these electronic systems a LOT dont plan on less issues, for some reason Corvettes have always been a high maintenance car no matter what they year.
Love hate thing for em.
I wonder why Toyota and BMW decided to share a common front engine platform for their respective new sports car offerings, and not mid-engine since they have started from scratch in their designs?

Old 11-06-2018, 07:13 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I wonder why Toyota and BMW decided to share a common front engine platform for their respective new sports car offerings, and not mid-engine since they have started from scratch in their designs?
Because its GT cars not a sports cars.
Old 11-06-2018, 07:18 PM
Dj_or_dj
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

Here is my .02,

I understand that since the C2 there have been talks about “mid engine this” and “supercar that”.
look at the track record. Chevrolet has not been very successful in any of their attempts to create a mid engine car. If it isnt broken why fix it? This European look needs to go too. The ZR1 has been capable of 755hp since its C6 re-introduction and it has set un disclosed records at Nurburgring. But Due to a “gentlemans agreement” they were black balled into cutting back the power and restrict the car from doing whatever it was designed to do. Top European manufacures couldnt believe that American Muscle at 1/3 the price was able to beat thier “super cars”. I dont believe for one minute that the FR setup is close to its peak, change the transverse springs give it a coilover set up make the car wider just my opinion. The car still has plenty and I mean plenty of room to grow.

To top all that off here is a scenario:

so picture this, you head to a chevrolet dealer and one of these Mid Engine “corvettes” are staring back at you. You decide to buy it, drive it home and park it in the garage. Ohh well now its time for an oil change. You head back to the dealer you bought it from turn the keys over and head into the “waiting room”. I dont know about you but have you seen the waiting rooms? I personally wouldn’t want to hang out in a shitty waiting room watching soap operas listening to bubba talk about his lifted Silverado and the buck he killed last night. If i spend $160-170k on a car, it isn’t going to share interior parts with a Fiero, Cruze, Volt, HHR, or Malibu.
Old 11-06-2018, 07:29 PM
ACCHRM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 45 Posts

First, you DON'T have to do oil changes and services at the Chevy dealership if it's not up to your standards. Secondly, who said it ain't broken? Look at all the recent reviews about the C7 both Z06 and ZR1, ZR1 makes all the power it needs, but it's too nose heavy and can't put the power down properly, the Z06 had plenty of overheating issues, since GM was lazy enough to put 200 hp more than base model, yet leave the base model bumper with barely any opening in it. It's simple, if you don't like it, don't buy it. But to say that it ain't "broken" is wrong. ZR1 got it's *** handed to it by MotorTrend. C7 has never been a really good chassis for a lot of power.
P.S. The Corvette NEEDS a different and more exotic look.
Zaro Tundov (11-07-2018)
Old 11-07-2018, 10:47 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MitchAlsup
Because its GT cars not a sports cars.
Is my front engine C6 Z06 a GT car or a sports car?
Old 11-07-2018, 11:32 AM
falcon5619
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Dj_or_dj

so picture this, you head to a chevrolet dealer and one of these Mid Engine “corvettes” are staring back at you. You decide to buy it, drive it home and park it in the garage. Ohh well now its time for an oil change. You head back to the dealer you bought it from turn the keys over and head into the “waiting room”. I dont know about you but have you seen the waiting rooms? I personally wouldn’t want to hang out in a shitty waiting room watching soap operas listening to bubba talk about his lifted Silverado and the buck he killed last night. If i spend $160-170k on a car, it isn’t going to share interior parts with a Fiero, Cruze, Volt, HHR, or Malibu.

Damn, that was a funny visual you just created. I can't stop laughing. You are right though. $170k and GM don't go together. It would at least have to be something from the Cadillac brand to give it some artificial status somehow and may a few techs trained on how to work on them.

Last edited by falcon5619; 11-07-2018 at 11:37 AM.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:39 AM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

Originally Posted by joesc5
is my front engine c6 z06 a gt car or a sports car?
a gt.
Old 11-07-2018, 01:15 PM
flyingbunnys
Le Mans Master

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts

I would say the corvette is a GT car. As a matter fact the race version is in the GTE class formerly known as GT2. GTE stands for Grand Touring Endurance. The C6 and C7 compete against the Aston Martin Vantage, BMW M3, Farrari 458, Porsche 911 and ect
Old 11-07-2018, 02:07 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,626 Likes on 6,630 Posts

Originally Posted by Dj_or_dj

Hmm, all Chevy dealers aren’t the same! The large Chevy, BMW, Mercedes Dealer in town has a large nice Chevy waiting room. Granted when I bring the wife’s BMW in for service in that wating room I get to pick the type of coffee and from a selection of snacks where the Chevy waiting room just has standard coffee! However I do all my own oil changes because it’s quicker and I know it’s done right. If in for something else as I was for my free alignment at ~400 miles on the Grand Sport my MO is to stand by the open service bay door and watch! Let the tech know there will be a tip if done right!

Now I admit when the wife had a Porsche Cayenne that wating room was very nice. Since the bill for an oil change was ~$250 it should have been. And frankly I’d rather talk to Bubby, whose 4 door diesel truck with every available option cost more than the Grand Sport than the snob in the Porsche waiting room who thought his new 911 still had an air cooled engine!

Last edited by JerryU; 11-07-2018 at 02:11 PM.
Old 11-08-2018, 12:22 AM
Rotoloman
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with you. I bought my c7 last year at 43, and my buddies asked why I bought an old man car. Wanted to know if I was having a crisis. If you don't bring new enthusiasts to the table, the old ones die off and so does the product. It's past time for this. I would personally like to see corvette used like Cadillac and have multiple vehicles. Then they could really chase the big boys and remain relevant. I don't think many share my thoughts, but I'd like to see the current stingray stay, have a mid engine, a performance crossover, etc.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:37 AM
Wass
Melting Slicks

Received 136 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

Originally Posted by JerryU

Hmm, all Chevy dealers aren’t the same! The large Chevy, BMW, Mercedes Dealer in town has a large nice Chevy waiting room. Granted when I bring the wife’s BMW in for service in that wating room I get to pick the type of coffee and from a selection of snacks where the Chevy waiting room just has standard coffee! However I do all my own oil changes because it’s quicker and I know it’s done right. If in for something else as I was for my free alignment at ~400 miles on the Grand Sport my MO is to stand by the open service bay door and watch! Let the tech know there will be a tip if done right!

Now I admit when the wife had a Porsche Cayenne that wating room was very nice. Since the bill for an oil change was ~$250 it should have been. And frankly I’d rather talk to Bubby, whose 4 door diesel truck with every available option cost more than the Grand Sport than the snob in the Porsche waiting room who thought his new 911 still had an air cooled engine!
Thanks, I'm that guy!
JerryU (11-08-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Is there demand for a mid-engine Corvette?

Old 11-08-2018, 10:49 AM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

both...

They will be less extreme. “Sporty” if you will. You are near the limit of usable front-mid performance; they will be short of that. ME could be GT but more biased to sport, at least historically...
Old 11-08-2018, 05:40 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Atomic Fred

both...

They will be less extreme. “Sporty” if you will. You are near the limit of usable front-mid performance; they will be short of that. ME could be GT but more biased to sport, at least historically...

Would an Edelbrock 657 HP supercharger and a set of LG coilovers make me more of a "sports car" than a "GT"

My C6 Z06 is nowhere near it's usable front-mid performance limit, and neither the supercharger or the coilovers will decrease it's excellent highway gas mileage, or decrease it's great cargo capacity, when I'm on a two week road trip, all over the USA..

Last edited by JoesC5; 11-08-2018 at 05:44 PM.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:21 PM
Randy Miller
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm not sure they considered it, but if they did I'm guessing a huge factor was there isn't a way to fit the BMW straight 6 into a small mid engine car. Also, Toyota already has a mid engine car they are considering reviving (the MR2), and there's no need to have 2 smaller mid engine cars.

Last edited by Randy Miller; 11-08-2018 at 06:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Is there demand for a mid-engine Corvette?