Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Updated 3D renders from bdsvavars

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 12:00 PM
PurpleLion
Burning Brakes

Received 857 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaka
That is popular belief but it is inaccurate.
It seems that you are implying that the front of the C8R is less aerodynamic than the C8!

Since the two are very different, one must be better than the other! My money is on the C8.R.

Besides, if you compare the C8 and the C8.R with past and present mid engine designs, you will note that the C8.R's front end is similar to most. Whereas, the stubby, high, flat faced C8 is similar to none. No way is it more aerodynamic!

Last edited by PurpleLion; 01-09-2019 at 12:05 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:57 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by PurpleLion
Besides, if you compare the C8 and the C8.R with past and present mid engine designs, you will note that the C8.R's front end is similar to most. Whereas, the stubby, high, flat faced C8 is similar to none. No way is it more aerodynamic!

Old 01-09-2019, 08:56 PM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Received 495 Likes on 260 Posts
Default Aerodynamics can be counterintuitive

It seems that you are implying that the front of the C8R is less aerodynamic than the C8!

Since the two are very different, one must be better than the other! My money is on the C8.R.

You're certainly correct that there's a vast difference in the nose treatments on the C8 and C8.R. But aerodynamics can be a funny business--the province of wind tunnels and computer modeling.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:09 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

I really hope the read deck of the C8 isn't concave as shown in these renderings. That is not an attractive look. In fact, it is really pretty GMish and awful.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:16 AM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Believe what you want. Like I said, I'm not here to educate the public. Logic check.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:58 AM
PurpleLion
Burning Brakes

Believe what you want. Like I said, I'm not here to educate the public. Logic check.
LOGIC CHECK???

This is very simple logic! Two different designs C8.R versus C8. Are you actually implying that the designed for high speed racing C8.R is aerodynamically inferior to the C8?

RUBBISH!!!

P.S. You are not the only person on this forum that knows something about aerodynamics / fluid dynamics.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:46 AM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

Seeing as neither car has left the camouflage state yet, your comments are premature. You sound to me like one of the trolls around here who sees a render made by someone who has never seen the real car and thinks it's accurate. Hint: they are fun speculation, not actual renderings. You might want to temper your comments until the actual car is revealed. Then you can unleash your strong opinions.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:51 AM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Default what's under the camo

Originally Posted by Speednet
Seeing as neither car has left the camouflage state yet, your comments are premature. You sound to me like one of the trolls around here who sees a render made by someone who has never seen the real car and thinks it's accurate. Hint: they are fun speculation, not actual renderings. You might want to temper your comments until the actual car is revealed. Then you can unleash your strong opinions.
In fairness, it is still possible to discern basic proportions and features.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:19 PM
PurpleLion
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Speednet
I certainly hope that much of what we have seen of the C8 does not reflect the final result.

Regarding the C8.R, although it is camouflaged, my guess is that it is very close to the final result.

Look, we all want the final C8 to be a beautiful, high performance sports car. I have personally been waiting for and advocating for the mid engine Corvette since 1973 when the mid engine, Wankel Corvette was scheduled to be released. However, when "reading the tea leaves" it seems to me that GM may be emphasizing the C8's utility over its styling and ultimate aerodynamic performance.

The C7 is one of the most beautiful sports cars ever designed. It is a hard act to follow.
The following users liked this post:
VetterFlyer (01-11-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 12:28 PM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 315 Posts

The C7 is one of the most beautiful sports cars ever designed. It is a hard act to follow.
You are so completely wrong. At best, it is controversial and liked by a few, at worst, it is a travesty and should never have been called a Corvette.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:49 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

I never fell in love with the C7 but we must respect other opinions. One of the most fascinating aspects of human nature is which aspects of an object they are attracted to- I love the hood/ front end of C7 but do not care for side vent. Similar with the female anatomy :: breasts or derriere? Hands or ankles?
I am really very glad that we are not all attracted to the same thing- that could cause WW3.
bo_knows (01-10-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 02:50 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Atari_Prime
You are so completely wrong. At best, it is controversial and liked by a few, at worst, it is a travesty and should never have been called a Corvette.
The C7 is my favorite of the modern Corvettes.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:13 PM
oregonsharkman
Melting Slicks

Received 938 Likes on 364 Posts

"At best it's controversial and liked by a few"...Seriously? It's one of the best selling Corvettes of all time...Nearly 150,000 C7's sold since 2014. Over $8 Billion in sales for GM.

Personally, I find the C7 to be the best looking Corvette design since the early C3's. The last few generations have not been very attractive to me. The C8 is yet to be seen, but even if it comes out looking like the best of a Ferrari 488 crossed with a Huracan, there's going to be a faction of people that think "it's a travesty"

Sadly - This type of opinion is going to be prevalent no matter how the C8 and any other future Corvette design turns out.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:14 PM
C7pimp
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 245 Posts

Old 01-10-2019, 04:37 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

LOL . . . agreed, definitely one of the dumbest, BS posts I've seen in this forum in a long time.
Shaka (01-10-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 04:40 PM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Default C7 Design success

Uh. No. The C7 BY FAR had most acclaimed design since the early C3. It's not close. An extremely successful car by any standards.
The following 4 users liked this post by IronV:
Foosh (01-10-2019), KCV (01-10-2019), oregonsharkman (01-10-2019), Zaro Tundov (01-10-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 05:16 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by IronV
Uh. No. The C7 BY FAR had most acclaimed design since the early C3. It's not close. An extremely successful car by any standards.
Love that 68. I like the way the rear 1/4 on the C7 reaches the front fender like the 68 Charger and the C5. The proportions of the C7 are perfect, but some of the detailing is so cheap looking. The rear needs some work......

The C8 should look like a Vette.

Last edited by Shaka; 01-10-2019 at 06:31 PM.
PurpleLion (01-10-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Updated 3D renders from bdsvavars

Old 01-10-2019, 05:32 PM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Default C3 C7 Sweetness

Love that 68. I like the way the rear 1/4 on the C7 .....

The C8 should look like a Vette.
With you on each point. What's amazing too is that Chevy produced two, once-in-a-generation designs, back-to-back. C2, C3. And there is no reason in the world why the C8 should or could not be an instantaneously recognizable "Vette." There's also no question that the C7's rear is the low point in a great design. But it looks like they're right back to design chaos with the C8.
The following 2 users liked this post by IronV:
PurpleLion (01-10-2019), Shaka (01-10-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 12:31 AM
tcweidner
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

if one car design is pretty, it doesnt mean others aren't. I never understood people who dont understand this. To be honest, if you really are a car guy, you can look at every car and find at least one thing you like about it. C6 versus c7 is basically, do you like curves or angles? Both are great looking cars. I tend to think of them this way. They are two good looking sisters, IMHO coming out of the factory I think the c6 sister tends to be a more naturally beauty but tends not to wear enough makeup, and on the other end, coming out of the factory IMHO The C7 is a beauty who tends to wear a little too much makeup. Both are good looking, so people just may prefer one a little more than the other but both still are very nice looking.

Last edited by tcweidner; 01-11-2019 at 12:33 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by tcweidner:
Rapid Fred (01-11-2019), Shaka (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 07:50 AM
PurpleLion
Burning Brakes

Something occurred to me when looking at the above image of the prospective C8. This version shows the high hood and disjoint front end that I think is a major detriment to the looks of the C8. But look at the angle of the headlights! It seems to me that the clear headlight cover is too horizontal to allow an adequate amount of light through the cover. Instead, a disproportionate amount of light would be reflected internally within the headlight.

I think that this points to the possibility that the hood is not actually as flat as this image shows. If true, the front hood lip would be lower!

It will be great to see the final result instead of trying to guess what the car will look like. Frankly, I think that if the only group responsible for the C8 was the team that did the C7, I personally would have more faith in the final outcome. Unfortunately, this is not the case as Simcoe is now on the scene. I have reviewed his portfolio without finding one design that I thought was outstanding. Harley Earl / Bill Mitchell where are you when we need you?

I guess the above is not really fair to Michael Simcoe. I certainly hope that the C8 is the design success that he wants it to be. But, then again, who came up with the crazy idea of a mid engine Grand Touring car?

Apologies for my rant! I have my fingers crossed for the 19th and am so tired of waiting.
IronV (01-11-2019)

Quick Reply: Updated 3D renders from bdsvavars