Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can we please have the removable roof as optional (not standard) on the C8?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 10:02 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermassive
I gotta say that no person can feel any compromise in chassis rigidity between a Cayman and a C7 during a test drive. Considering the fact that the C7 has been touted as having one of the most communicative chassis' out there as told by people who test cars for a living...and also those that have racing careers. Also the creaking on my C7 was solved by adjusting the center release clamp, from the factory it was a little loose and allowed the roof to shift around over the front clamps, causing my creaks.

The targa is one of the best features of the Corvette and has been a huge determining factor for me now that I have lived with it. It's kinda like the HUD, until I had it I didn't know how nice it was, then I bought a car without and it is a glaring issue I have. I don't like the looks of ragtop convertibles but I like the top off experience so the targa is the best of both worlds, plus getting to drive topless at trackdays is a god send for people like me at 6'5" without a helmet....
Maybe you can't tell. Why don't you go drive a Cayman first, and tell me that car isn't more solid than a Corvette with a clamp on roof.

I don't see any reason for the vocal minority to impose a hole in the roof on everyone else. This is supposed to be a sports car. The body structure should be as stiff as possible.

I have NEVER seen a C7 on the road with the roof out. NEVER in six years. I asked a friend if he had ever seen a C7 with the roof out. His answer, "Never." This is a joke all these people saying they remove their roofs. Make it an option. That's what Porsche does with the 911.

Last edited by Michael A; 11-28-2018 at 10:07 PM.
Old 11-28-2018, 11:34 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,984 Likes on 935 Posts

I have to say I do agree with the OP on this one. Although the C7 is much better than previous generations, they do have some examples that creak over driveways. There have been some people complaining in the C7 section stating that. However, I don't think it's a structural issue as the C7 is pretty solid, it may be a seal, fastener, etc issue and it'a an easy fix but it does not help the perceived quality of the car.
Old 11-29-2018, 07:15 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Just happen to go for a test drive yesterday....sure

I call BS

this is the whinning desk at the corvette forum.

lets bash the car

the targa roof just needs an adjustment ..,if the OP was actually test driving the car at all.

once a year or so just get the roof adjusted by a good tech..lusually its the weather changes or dust on the rubber seal...

its such a nothing.

i dig the targa standard feature on corvettes...

its one of its main attractions to consumers,
The following 2 users liked this post by JerriVette:
B747VET (04-16-2019), Rapid Fred (04-15-2019)
Old 11-29-2018, 12:31 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Quick fix for the creaking roof is buy a Porsche
Old 11-29-2018, 01:21 PM
Stingcan
Instructor

Received 163 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Just happen to go for a test drive yesterday....sure

I call BS

this is the whinning desk at the corvette forum.

lets bash the car

the targa roof just needs an adjustment ..,if the OP was actually test driving the car at all.

once a year or so just get the roof adjusted by a good tech..lusually its the weather changes or dust on the rubber seal...

its such a nothing.

i dig the targa standard feature on corvettes...

its one of its main attractions to consumers,
agreed. This was the number one reason I chose a Z06 over a ZL1 or 911.....
Old 04-15-2019, 04:59 PM
NLS8520
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was sad to look at the order form and see that the C8 looks to have a removable roof, I had heard a fixed roof was an option for quite a while I really dislike removable roofs for a number of reasons. Any thoughts on this?
Old 04-15-2019, 05:26 PM
oregonsharkman
Melting Slicks

Received 938 Likes on 364 Posts

I call BS - The C7 frame is incredibly stiff. There's a slightly uneven point in my driveway where my GS will balance on 2 wheels (one back wheel and the opposite front wheel)...Also if you have ever jacked up your own C7, then you know you can jack up the front puck and almost the whole front of the car raises evenly...

As far as squeaking goes, neither my C7 GS or my C6 Z51 squeaked - try putting the top on right.

Oh, and my buddy has a GT4 Cayman, so I have the same frame of reference.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:33 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts

I remember GM touting the rigidity of the chassis, even to the point of saying no additional work was needed to use the same chassis/frame between the convertible and the coupe. Is it just 'marketing' speak? I can't recall hearing any creaking in my coupe.... yet.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:41 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Those who want the targa to be an option:

What do you think that will buy you? You won't get the weight savings or stiffness of a car that was designed as a fixed roof, because the targa and convertible are popular enough that they'll dictate the design. What you'll get is a glued-in top on a chassis designed for targas and convertibles. So just do the gluing yourself. Or just adjust the top so it doesn't squeak.
Old 04-15-2019, 07:16 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,447 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinx

What do you think that will buy you? You won't get the weight savings or stiffness of a car that was designed as a fixed roof, because the targa and convertible are popular enough that they'll dictate the design. What you'll get is a glued-in top on a chassis designed for targas and convertibles. So just do the gluing yourself. Or just adjust the top so it doesn't squeak.
The fixed roofs on the C6 Z/ZR were bolted in place with over 10 attachment points, significantly increases stiffness. I'm not anti-targa by any means, but I'd pay extra for the option to have my roof securely bolted in place.
The following users liked this post:
NLS8520 (04-16-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 07:35 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

That was a different frame.
Rapid Fred (04-15-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 07:45 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

That was a different frame.
Ok. If you're hellbent on denying a structural benefit, then I'll move on.
NLS8520 (04-16-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 08:06 PM
thirtythird
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Dif
Quick fix for the creaking roof is buy a Porsche
A BIG +1

I skipped on a Rouche Mustang and got the C6 and one of the things I was really looking forward to the most was the removable roof. Love it. I took it off the C6 and C7 as much as I could.

Getting tired of everyone saying how a Vette should be changed to be like this car or that car....I like the unique features of the Vette. Removable roof, and truck leaf springs. It's what makes it unique damnit!
Old 04-15-2019, 08:22 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

The base C6 frame was designed for both a targa and a convertible top, and the Z06 with the aluminum frame was designed at the same time.

With the Z06, GM did not take the targa top and glue it onto the roll bar and the windshield header but designed a special roof frame that was BOLTED to the roll bar and the windshield header with 10 BOLTS and then the outer skin was glued to the frame. Special brackets were fabricated and welded to the roll bar and the windshield header to give something for the newly designed roof frame to bolt to.

When the C6 Z06 was released, some wanted a targa and asked GM about it. GM said it would take ~44 pounds of extra structure/material in the aluminum frame to make a Z06 with a targa top.

The aluminum frame for the C7 weighs 37 pounds more than the C6's aluminum frame. Pretty close to the 44 pounds that GM estimated for the C6 Z06 if it was beefed up for a targa top.

To answer your question, eliminating the targa just might save you 37 pounds over a targa top car.

Last edited by JoesC5; 04-15-2019 at 08:26 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JoesC5:
Foosh (04-16-2019), RapidC84B (04-16-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 09:45 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

^^^^^^
So could going on a diet and increasing our workout schedules.

Keep the targa-only if it saves engineering resources that could be devoted to something meaningful...

Last edited by Rapid Fred; 04-15-2019 at 09:46 PM.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:16 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

I see Corvette Forum's obstinance remains as vibrant as ever. The C6Z was a different frame, made from a different material for a lower volume higher-end model. It was a specific opportunity in Corvette development. Do you think that opportunity is going to repeat itself on C8? And manifest as a checkbox option for a fixed-roof coupe that's built on a lighter frame? Given the popularity of the targa and convertible, do you think their stiffness will be addressed in additive fashion in order to optimize a fixed-roof coupe? Well, all righty then. If your wish comes true, enjoy your lightweight fixed-roof option. If it doesn't, enjoy being smarter than GM, as always. Peace out.
Rapid Fred (04-16-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 12:11 AM
vetteship
Safety Car

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

..... What you'll get is a glued-in top ...
Oh no, not the glue top,..., again

Get notified of new replies

To Can we please have the removable roof as optional (not standard) on the C8?

Old 04-16-2019, 10:14 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

I see Corvette Forum's obstinance remains as vibrant as ever. The C6Z was a different frame, made from a different material for a lower volume higher-end model. It was a specific opportunity in Corvette development. Do you think that opportunity is going to repeat itself on C8? And manifest as a checkbox option for a fixed-roof coupe that's built on a lighter frame? Given the popularity of the targa and convertible, do you think their stiffness will be addressed in additive fashion in order to optimize a fixed-roof coupe? Well, all righty then. If your wish comes true, enjoy your lightweight fixed-roof option. If it doesn't, enjoy being smarter than GM, as always. Peace out.
Jinx, we all recognize the C6Z/ZR utilized a different frame. We also realize a bolted-in fixed roof aids structural rigidity no matter the frame material used. We also realize it adds no significant production concerns as the back-to-back production of targas and fixed roofs on the C6 line demonstrated. Some of us have simply framed it as it would be nice to have AS AN OPTION on the same car/frame - i.e. not displacing the targa, but rather a third choice. Most everybody is fully aware of the popularity of both the targa and the vert. This is neither in dispute, nor in any way threatened by allowing an option for a fixed roof.

Nor do many of us who'd like a fixed roof think there is a high likelihood of them actually offering one as an option. Simply stated it would be great if it was available as such.

Last edited by OnPoint; 04-16-2019 at 10:18 AM.
NLS8520 (04-16-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 11:45 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,168 Likes on 5,991 Posts

Way too late for that, but my $0.02 was if we now have a hard top retractable convertible, why bother with a targa? Make it a fixed roof coupe. I was educated by others that modern airbag laws are different for fixed roof coups vs. targa so GM goes with the targa.
The following 3 users liked this post by RapidC84B:
NLS8520 (04-16-2019), OnPoint (04-16-2019), Zaro Tundov (04-16-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 11:51 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,168 Likes on 5,991 Posts

Oh and for the record I take my targa out all the time, I love it, but I will say it's no the same experience as a true convertible as there's a lot more wind buffeting and it's not quite as pleasant.

Quick Reply: Can we please have the removable roof as optional (not standard) on the C8?