Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette possibly in danger?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 03:20 PM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by BMadden
In addition to my Z06 I have 4 other "premium brand" cars. The 'Vette is on par quality-wise with any of my other cars so I don't know what you're inferring about the current quality level.
I'm with BMadden. I own a C7 Z51, a Mercedes E350, and Audi A4 and a Volvo V60. All great rides, but the Corvette has comparable if not better quality. It just goes faster than the other rides..
Old 11-28-2018, 08:47 PM
candipogo
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

my only major concern is not for the vette, but for gm's line up of vehicles in the near future. new gm ceo has let it be know that she is very pro electric and expects all gm to move in a positive way in that direction asap. i say there's room in my garage for a commuter vehicle. but, i don't want to look at overseas exotic cars to satisfy my urge for good old gas powered horsepower. i have a 64 vette resto that will pull your hair out. i also have a c6 with many add ons and i love them both. although we also have a rice burner gas powered that gets 30-40 mpg. plenty for me. even if my gas goes up.
phil
Old 11-29-2018, 12:26 PM
JasonAndrew
Safety Car

Received 270 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerradl1987
So I was reading on multiple News Outlets that GM is closing multiple factories, and killing off multiple vehicles like XTS, IMPALA, LACROSSE, VOLT, CT6, CRUZE and some others as well. with this happening and there not being any more sightings of the ME mules running around( other than the ones we cant see at the GM proving grounds in AZ & MI) Could GM possibly put a halt to the ME car? I know GM is cutting sedans in favor for crossovers and SUV's but it is something to think about.
maybe many people's taste differs from mine, but have you seen the cars Chevy has been producing? Besides the vette, and their trucks, the car lines and so called "crossovers" are garbage. Just my crappy opinion. Maybe other opinions are similar if these cars aren't selling. I wouldn't buy any new Chevy. I will add most new cars don't appeal to me.
Old 11-29-2018, 12:46 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Received 869 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndrew
maybe many people's taste differs from mine, but have you seen the cars Chevy has been producing? Besides the vette, and their trucks, the car lines and so called "crossovers" are garbage. Just my crappy opinion. Maybe other opinions are similar if these cars aren't selling. I wouldn't buy any new Chevy. I will add most new cars don't appeal to me.
Buyers don't want 4 door sedans anymore, just like station wagons went out of style. They used to be popular, but times have changed.
Old 11-29-2018, 01:37 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

"The Bowling Green, Kentucky, plant that builds the Chevrolet Corvette sports car works at just 27 percent of its potential output, according to LMC data." Reuters

Assembly plants need to run at least 70% of capacity to be profitable. Will the ME Corvette TRIPLE production of BGA by itself?

The idea that there will be one Corvette produced at BGA and it will be the ME only is simply absurd. Mary Barra is nobody's fool.
Old 11-29-2018, 01:39 PM
BIG Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 4,684 Likes on 1,862 Posts

Corvette Mike Vietro said the following in his 11/29/18 email blast:

"CORVETTE PLANT IS SAFE

You may have heard the news that GM is closing 5 plants, and that the global workforce of salaried and salaried contract workers will be cut by 15 percent, including a 25 percent cut in GM executives; an estimated cut of 14,000 jobs. The good news is that the Corvette plant in Bowling Green, Kentucky is not among the five plants set to cease production next year. Like Ford announced a few months ago, GM is calling the closing of the five plants a "transformation", and in its corporate announcement, said the company is going to focus on trucks, crossovers, SUVs and electric vehicles. The GM plants to be closed are in Maryland and Ohio, as well as two in Michigan and one in Canada. Those plants produce sedans, as well as the Chevy Cruze compact and the Chevy Volt plug-in hybrid."

Old 11-29-2018, 01:41 PM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,144 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by PCMIII
"The Bowling Green, Kentucky, plant that builds the Chevrolet Corvette sports car works at just 27 percent of its potential output, according to LMC data." Reuters

Assembly plants need to run at least 70% of capacity to be profitable. Will the ME Corvette TRIPLE production of BGA by itself?

The idea that there will be one Corvette produced at BGA and it will be the ME only is simply absurd. Mary Barra is nobody's fool.
Well, you certainly WOULD know about fools.

Old 11-29-2018, 01:44 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BIG Dave

"CORVETTE PLANT IS SAFE
Safe for the moment. 27% operating rate is not going to cut it so the business plan is going to be very different going forward.
Old 11-29-2018, 01:49 PM
duanesZ06
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 264 Likes on 161 Posts

Corvette is where they have been making money and selling cars. The C7 is the biggest selling Corvette of all time. GM is FINE just doing some restructuring don't spread Corvette dying rumors.

Last edited by duanesZ06; 11-29-2018 at 02:00 PM.
Old 11-29-2018, 01:52 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by duanesZ06
Corvette is where they have been making money and selling cars. The C7 has is the biggest selling Corvette of all time. GM is FINE just doing some restructuring don't spread Corvette dying rumors.
Corvette is not dying. It will be multiplying into several platforms that will make BGA operate at a much higher level. There is no other choice.
Old 11-29-2018, 03:02 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG Dave

"CORVETTE PLANT IS SAFE

You may have heard the news that GM is closing 5 plants, and that the global workforce of salaried and salaried contract workers will be cut by 15 percent, including a 25 percent cut in GM executives; an estimated cut of 14,000 jobs. The good news is that the Corvette plant in Bowling Green, Kentucky is not among the five plants set to cease production next year. Like Ford announced a few months ago, GM is calling the closing of the five plants a "transformation", and in its corporate announcement, said the company is going to focus on trucks, crossovers, SUVs and electric vehicles. The GM plants to be closed are in Maryland and Ohio, as well as two in Michigan and one in Canada. Those plants produce sedans, as well as the Chevy Cruze compact and the Chevy Volt plug-in hybrid."
Well as long as some used car salesman says it's ok, then everyone can just relax.
The following users liked this post:
PCMIII (11-29-2018)
Old 11-29-2018, 04:03 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,373 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Corvette is where they have been making money and selling cars. The C7 is the biggest selling Corvette of all time. GM is FINE just doing some restructuring don't spread Corvette dying rumors.
And you pulled this statistic from where? They need to sell ~20k units by the end of this model year just to match the production volume of the C4 in the first 4 model years... Another 10k to match the C6 in the first 4 and it has the C5 beat by roughly 25k units sold so......

Last edited by 84 4+3; 11-29-2018 at 04:03 PM.
Old 11-29-2018, 04:18 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I understand that you made "F's" in history and math and an "A" in creative writing in high school..
Old 12-02-2018, 12:24 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,002 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Corvette is and has been one of the few bright spots in GM's line up.
It's in no danger.
It may very well be the last automobile Chev/GM produces. I'm not down with buying an SUV.
Old 12-02-2018, 12:39 AM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Hey OP....

do you believe this too?
Old 12-02-2018, 01:12 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by PCMIII
Buyers don't want 4 door sedans anymore, just like station wagons went out of style. They used to be popular, but times have changed.
Yet Mercedes just announced a NEW 4 door sedan to their lineup of gasoline powered cars. AMG GT 4 door sedan.

While I do see a bunch of CUV's/SUV's I still see a lot of new 4 door sedans on the road.

The herd of sedans is just being culled of the underachievers. Sedans are not being eliminated entirely.

Last edited by JoesC5; 12-02-2018 at 12:23 PM.
purple heart (12-03-2018)
Old 12-02-2018, 01:46 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
It may very well be the last automobile Chev/GM produces.
You may be right, but I think GM is OK with the Corvette for the foreseeable future.
I'm not down with buying an SUV.
My every day "car" is a Jeep (Grand Cherokee).
It does exactly what I want it to do in the role.

I don't drive my Z06 every day, nor want to.
The Corvette is a toy, the Jeep is a tool...big difference.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette possibly in danger?

Old 12-02-2018, 12:11 PM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 390 Likes on 244 Posts

The sky is falling, the sky is falling!

Wait, what? It's not falling? It's just Wintertime?

never mind...
Old 12-04-2018, 12:33 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

It is....and always will be......about the bottom line

Clif
bebezote (12-11-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 09:18 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

technical advances are coming at a more rapid pace I'm for one glad to see corvette spend an inordinate amount of cash just just like they did a while back during the hmmm... c4 z41 program

roll forward, more sharing of high quality parts between c5 and the northstar cadivette (dave hill)

Cadivette continues with more refinement and better interior c7

twin turbo more refined engine has performance variant in the new C8 corvette (cadivette gets some bigger cajones)

the C7 Zr-1 has pretty much shown that lots more hp won't help on street tires with not enough traction.

And the reviews will drive some technical performance "disruptive technology" hmmmm.... sounds like the first c4 huh???

history repeats itself and as long as they can bury some costs and increase quality down the line the flag ship deserves some spiffing up as adding HP won't make it that much better if weight goes up.

the higher tech disruptive tech will eventually lead to much better materials and design optimization to reduce weight without reducing stiffness (think turtle shell printed floors, skins, and printed metal junctions with carbon fiber low cost materials like lambo and the Blade from Kevin Czinger)

these technologies are showing real world applications promises fulfilled in design and tooling cost reductions that allow more rapid improvements in manufacturing which traditionally has very long lead times.

Lets see that changed. For those of you who miss an auto, give you foot a rest and drive a car that shifts as fast as a race car without a slushbox feel aka GT3 porsche, at a corvette price

check c8

twin turbo dohc smooth engine that makes low end torq with a wide power band and better NVH with increased fuel efficiency and full variable cam timing check c8 (can't do that with a cam in block as well)

rear engine with lower cg, better aero, improved cooling, and lighter weight for improved power to weight ratio check c8

a beautiful car with improved downforce at a reasonbly efficient CD for higher top speed and solid high speed stability check c8

now can I afford all this because it sounds pretty good so far <I guess I'll have to ask my wife> check Ms. check mate.

Quick Reply: Corvette possibly in danger?