Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CORVETTE PLANT IS SAFE - says Corvette Mike Vietro

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 03:08 AM
OH THREE Z
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 280 Posts
2018 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Currently the C7 is being produced at the same rate that the 1990 Corvette was being produced, and it's a fact that GM was ready to axe the Corvette in 1992.

how can you see parallels between 92 and today??

GM, in 1992 did not have the recent capital investment they currently made in BGA nor a well in to pre production replacement for the current model.
They were not shipping camo'd cars to germany, testing a AMLS variant, testing stateside, closing the plant to the general public for months, filing for for obvious next gen patents or leaking photos of next gen body parts, key fobs ect

Old 11-30-2018, 06:18 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by OH THREE Z

GM, in 1992 did not have the recent capital investment they currently made in BGA nor a well in to pre production replacement for the current model.
They were not shipping camo'd cars to germany, testing a AMLS variant, testing stateside, closing the plant to the general public for months, filing for for obvious next gen patents or leaking photos of next gen body parts, key fobs ect
While I might agree with some of your points, I think what Joe is indicating is that as informed as WE think we are, we are not on the inside. Therefore, just look at the recent announcement of plant closings, layoffs, models being cut, etc.---how many on this forum predicted this would happen? How many knew about it? (not including those who actually work for or with GM) That's my point.

Companies make all kinds of decisions, not all of which appear to be rational or logical at the time, and some are right and some wrong. The list, just for GM would be almost endless for the public to recite. You've written some reasons why Corvette should continue its existence.

I don't think Joe is saying there's a strong case for shutting down the Corvette line for good. But, by the same token, I'd bet there are studies and reports on every line, model, make, and employee as to critical need for, and reason to "cease funding", aka close down or fire.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:22 AM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Received 868 Likes on 540 Posts

GM invested a lot in the CT6, especially the V, which was the flagship that replaced the Fleetwood. Now it's dead and the plant is closing. Don't assume anything.

Last edited by PCMIII; 11-30-2018 at 10:23 AM.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:29 AM
C2C3C4C6
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts

That is because everyone is waiting for the C8 before they buy anything.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:14 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by RonnieC6Z
BG operating at 27% capacity simply means that there is very little demand, at this point in time, for the 2019 C7 Corvette. Come next summer when production of the 2020 ME C8 Corvette begins, BG will be at 100% capacity for quite some time.
Head of nail hit, dead on.

Originally Posted by PCMIII
GM invested a lot in the CT6, especially the V, which was the flagship that replaced the Fleetwood. Now it's dead and the plant is closing. Don't assume anything.
Duh, it's irrelevant that a lot was invested, it's NOT selling, which is why it was axed. Big sedans aren't selling in large numbers, even the "panzer-mobiles."

Last edited by Foosh; 11-30-2018 at 12:20 PM.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:25 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

They put money into BGA to vastly expand production by making many different vehicles at the plant. The idea that BGA will build a single model of Corvette is ludicrous.
please stop pulling info out of your ***. NO GM plant builds "MANY" different vehicles.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:27 PM
BIG Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 4,684 Likes on 1,862 Posts

Originally Posted by pickleseimer
Who is Corvette Mike? Is he a GM dealer or executive?
Corvette Mike is an automobile dealer that specializes in Corvettes (pre-owned), classics and American muscle cars, as well as exotic imports such as Ferrari, Porsche and Jaguar. Corvette Mike has dealerships in Anaheim CA, Burr Ridge IL and Plymouth MA.

https://corvettemike.com/
The following users liked this post:
pickleseimer (11-30-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 12:48 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow
please stop pulling info out of your ***. NO GM plant builds "MANY" different vehicles.
You are living in the stone age. The future is very different:

"Ford's Michigan Assembly now becomes the only factory in the world to build gasoline-powered, hybrid, plug-in hybrid and electric vehicles under one roof. In addition to the C-Max Energi, the Focus, Focus ST, Focus electric and C-Max hybrid are made here. The electrified vehicles will make up about 25% of the plant’s annual volume, with the gas-powered vehicles accounting for the rest.

To accommodate production of the multiple-vehicle lineup, all of which share Ford’s global C-platform, the auto maker invested $550 million in the facility and in May added a third crew of 1,200 workers, bringing total employment to 5,170. The plant, which has 604 work stations, operates on two shifts Monday through Friday and one shift on Saturday and Sunday."

But please proceed to demonstrate your ignorance.

Old 11-30-2018, 07:34 PM
OH THREE Z
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 280 Posts
2018 C4 of Year Finalist

true, but they didnt kill it before they deemed investment a failure.

i certainly have no inside information nor do i pay as much attention as some and i do agree that anything is possible and nothing is guaranteed BUT i would be beyond shocked if the C7 was left to die on the vine with no successor in place. While its not a cash cow for GM it is its halo nameplate and the optics of the C8 being canceled would be poor for the company

By all appearances the ME is very close to production ready and short of a cataclysmic engineering snafu i would suspect most of the budget has already been spent so why at this point would it be canceled? There is really no reason to believe that the C8 wont be a money maker for the first few years of its lifespan... after that, who knows

i do think GM screws up by not freshening the current generation of corvette as it ages. i was a very early adopter of a C7Z and in 4 years they have done nothing to make me even consider upgrading to a new car... same basic colors, wheels, interior ect.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:08 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

BMW builds 5 different vehicles at their plant in SC. Surely GM can build more than one vehicle at the same plant.
The following users liked this post:
PCMIII (11-30-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 08:18 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

true, but they didnt kill it before they deemed investment a failure.

i do think GM screws up by not freshening the current generation of corvette as it ages. i was a very early adopter of a C7Z and in 4 years they have done nothing to make me even consider upgrading to a new car... same basic colors, wheels, interior ect.
Amen bro. Corvette has face planted on updates to C7.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:48 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

It is not fully dead.

"Cadillac also explained that CT6 production in America will end, but production in China will continue, as will sales over there."
Old 12-01-2018, 12:16 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
BMW builds 5 different vehicles at their plant in SC. Surely GM can build more than one vehicle at the same plant.
The BMW Spartanburg assembly plant absolutely dwarfs BGA, which is minuscule by comparison. They recently invested another $1B for expansion (now $8B total), it's one of the largest assembly facilities in the world, and BMW's largest by far. They started in 1994 building 40K units annually and produced 400K annually in 2016 running 2 shifts 24/7. BMW is now the largest US vehicle exporter, and Spartanburg builds every BMW SUV/SAV for sale worldwide.

BGA has about 1 million sq. ft. of space to over 7 million at Spartanburg, which closely tracks the difference in production capacity between the two plants.

No comparison:

BMW Spartanburg Assembly

Last edited by Foosh; 12-01-2018 at 12:27 PM.
Old 12-01-2018, 05:45 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

You are living in the stone age. The future is very different:

"Ford's Michigan Assembly now becomes the only factory in the world to build gasoline-powered, hybrid, plug-in hybrid and electric vehicles under one roof. In addition to the C-Max Energi, the Focus, Focus ST, Focus electric and C-Max hybrid are made here. The electrified vehicles will make up about 25% of the plant’s annual volume, with the gas-powered vehicles accounting for the rest.

To accommodate production of the multiple-vehicle lineup, all of which share Ford’s global C-platform, the auto maker invested $550 million in the facility and in May added a third crew of 1,200 workers, bringing total employment to 5,170. The plant, which has 604 work stations, operates on two shifts Monday through Friday and one shift on Saturday and Sunday."

But please proceed to demonstrate your ignorance.
Hey smartass. They build the c max and the focus there. Different iterations of the two vehicles doesn't mean they build "many" vehicles.
​​​​​
Old 12-01-2018, 05:50 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
GM does build different models of very similar vehicles in several plants. For example. Arlington builds the Tahoe, Yukon, Escalade, suburban, Yukon XL, and Escalade esv. But really there is just 2 models short wheel base and long wheel base.

​​​​​The Malibu plant now also makes the xt4.

​​​​​You guys are quoting articles from reporters. I am talking from working in the industry, this is quite literally what I do. Building several very different vehicles in 1 plant is expensive and complicated. For example, the center of balance from 1 vehicle is different than the other. Also the body pick up points. This makes machine design complex.

The BMW plant makes the x3,x4,x5,x6 so far... Thats basically 4 models of 2 cars. The x4 is just an x3 with a slopped roof. Same for the x6 with the x5.

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 12-01-2018 at 05:56 PM.
Old 12-01-2018, 06:03 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Hey smartass. They build the c max and the focus there. Different iterations of the two vehicles doesn't mean they build "many" vehicles.
​​​​​
The GM Orion plant, north of Detroit, is one of the industry’s most flexible. It builds three models on one line: The gas-engine Chevrolet Sonic, the battery-powered Chevrolet Bolt EV and the self-driving Cruise AV.

SAIC-GM’s factory in Shanghai, which opened in 2016, is one of the world’s most advanced auto plants, assembling Buick minivans and Cadillac sedans and SUVs, including the CT-6 plug-in hybrid for U.S. consumers. GM’s Shanghai plant is expected to eventually produce new electric vehicles, primarily for the Chinese market, executives have said.

Like I said, you are living in the stone age.

Old 12-01-2018, 06:16 PM
Steven Beaver
Racer

Received 206 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG Dave

Corvette Mike is an automobile dealer that specializes in Corvettes (pre-owned), classics and American muscle cars, as well as exotic imports such as Ferrari, Porsche and Jaguar. Corvette Mike has dealerships in Anaheim CA, Burr Ridge IL and Plymouth MA.

https://corvettemike.com/
So basically he knows nothing just like all other Corvette dealers. Got it

Get notified of new replies

To CORVETTE PLANT IS SAFE - says Corvette Mike Vietro

Old 12-01-2018, 06:35 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Originally Posted by Foosh
The BMW Spartanburg assembly plant absolutely dwarfs BGA, which is minuscule by comparison. They recently invested another $1B for expansion (now $8B total), it's one of the largest assembly facilities in the world, and BMW's largest by far. They started in 1994 building 40K units annually and produced 400K annually in 2016 running 2 shifts 24/7. BMW is now the largest US vehicle exporter, and Spartanburg builds every BMW SUV/SAV for sale worldwide.

BGA has about 1 million sq. ft. of space to over 7 million at Spartanburg, which closely tracks the difference in production capacity between the two plants.

No comparison:

BMW Spartanburg Assembly

I agree there is no comparison in size, My point was that GM can surely build more than one model in a single plant and based on posts above they are already doing it in a couple plants both in the US and China. I don't see any reason that the BG plant couldn't be reconfigured to build more than one model and if the Corvette ceases production it could be converted to build something else given all the money GM just put into it. Time will tell.
Old 12-01-2018, 07:58 PM
Tyler_RN_EMT
Pro

Received 173 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven Beaver

So basically he knows nothing just like all other Corvette dealers. Got it
Ha Ha .... exactly.... people that believe the sales guy (or owner/managers even) at their local “GM dealer” or any level GM dealer for that matter have any advanced knowledge of what GM is going to do or produce are the people I immediatly stop reading posts from and move on to the next. Anything that comes after “My dealer said” is going to be garbage.
Old 12-01-2018, 08:14 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

The GM Orion plant, north of Detroit, is one of the industry’s most flexible. It builds three models on one line: The gas-engine Chevrolet Sonic, the battery-powered Chevrolet Bolt EV and the self-driving Cruise AV.

SAIC-GM’s factory in Shanghai, which opened in 2016, is one of the world’s most advanced auto plants, assembling Buick minivans and Cadillac sedans and SUVs, including the CT-6 plug-in hybrid for U.S. consumers. GM’s Shanghai plant is expected to eventually produce new electric vehicles, primarily for the Chinese market, executives have said.

Like I said, you are living in the stone age.
There you go quoting articles again... It's just the ct6, xt5 and GL8. 3 vehicles. One of the more diverse plants. But GM wentzville makes the Colorado, canyon and express cargo van if you want more examples.

Lake Orion makes 3 small vehicles that are very similarly sized. No big deal.

You're thinking general assembly. Putting 1 motor is or another is simple. Think body shop and paint shop. Oh wait. You can't. Cause you're just reading articles. You probably have never spent a day inside an automotive plant. I've been to 6 in the past 4 months.

Quick Reply: CORVETTE PLANT IS SAFE - says Corvette Mike Vietro