Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about new paint shop

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 10:19 AM
RandomTask
Race Director

Received 276 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Zora.Info
None under $300K? All McLarens are polished and/or wetsanded from the factory, leaving no orange peel. The finish is basically perfect. This is done on even the $200K 570S.

Actually, it would be nice to see this done on the ZR1's. Another way to make it more high end and more special than it already is. Something extra to set it apart from the lesser models. The C6 ZR1 was delivered in enclosed trailers for example. I think there are some things, even simple ones, that could be done by Chevy to enhance the ZR1 buying and ownership experience.
Why not just save the money and pay your local paint shop to do it? (wet sand?)

I'd rather spend less at GM then pay my detailer to wetsand+polish+ceramic coat+clear bra.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:50 AM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

It's probably a lot harder to get paint looking perfect on a fiberglass body as compared to metal (most other cars)...

Last edited by ArmchairArchitect; 12-03-2018 at 10:50 AM.
Old 12-03-2018, 11:22 AM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

the ''new paint shop expansion'' was cover for build-out of doubling the plant size to build the c8

id bet the plant can now build 3-4 different cars/suvs/trucks there

Last edited by dmaxx3500; 12-03-2018 at 11:22 AM.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:02 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmchairArchitect
It's probably a lot harder to get paint looking perfect on a fiberglass body as compared to metal (most other cars)...
The Acura NSX has composite body panels and they seem to have a method of applying a very nice paint job.

Last edited by JoesC5; 12-03-2018 at 12:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
firstvettesoon (12-03-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 12:26 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by RandomTask
Why not just save the money and pay your local paint shop to do it? (wet sand?)

I'd rather spend less at GM then pay my detailer to wetsand+polish+ceramic coat+clear bra.
That doesn't take care of the underlying panels and base coat where some of the imperfections are. The other problem with that is one has to be very careful wet sanding a C7. The clear coat is relatively thin. It does help, but will not produce "perfection."

Originally Posted by plasboy

Sorry yours does but ours is pretty good as is our C5.

That's the thing . . . one person can look at a car and say it has a perfect paint job, and a more picky person can take a microscopic look at it and pronounce the same car, "terrible." I think my C7 painted in the new plant looks very good and better than my previous '14, but when I look at it very closely I can still find OP. However, it is a much better finish.

I looked at that NSX video above, and it looks like they use a system very similar to the new one built at BGA for shooting panels at optimum angles for smooth, even coverage. However, there's nothing in that video about wet sanding base and clear coats, thus I'd place a sizable bet I could find OP on an NSX too. I'm sure the new BGA paint plant is every bit as state-of-the-art as at the Marysville NSX assembly plant, since they were built at roughly the same time.

Last edited by Foosh; 12-03-2018 at 12:58 PM.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:39 PM
Stingcan
Instructor

Received 163 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by ShagVette
Sorry, not acceptable at all. A new GS is how much, with a worse paint finish than the average family sedan at half the price.

They aren't just Chevys. Ridiculous for all the money spent investing in BG and the C8, if it ends up having the same **** pore orange peel.

It's an insult other vehicles look better, and your suggestion to have a new car repainted is OMFG laughable.
I saw a Mercedes Maybach 300k car and it had as much if not worse Orange peel
Old 12-03-2018, 12:52 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
The Acura NSX has composite body panels and they seem to have a method of applying a very nice paint job.

https://youtu.be/P_M2jLfEc-g

have not not seen the nsx in person but IF the paint is great and they don’t do extensive wet sanding and polishing, no reason Corvettes new paint shop can’t deliver. With the money they invested I would assume they have similar tech and skill. At their numbers it should be possible IMO.

Knowing how how things usually work out, it may not....
Old 12-03-2018, 01:24 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by firstvettesoon

have not not seen the nsx in person but IF the paint is great and they don’t do extensive wet sanding and polishing, no reason Corvettes new paint shop can’t deliver. With the money they invested I would assume they have similar tech and skill. At their numbers it should be possible IMO.

Knowing how how things usually work out, it may not....
The NSX's entire paint process is 20 hours per car. A multi-step preparation leads to e-coat, 2 costs of primer, 5 coats of base coat and 2 layers of clear coat before 16 hours of in-process curing. Once cured, the entire car is hand sanded and wiped down and given another 2 layers of clear coat. Then each car is individually inspected by the paint team, and a wave-scan tool objectively measures the texture of the surface to ensure there are no imperfections-even those not visible to the human eye....and that's is on composite panels like the Corvette uses. Each car is then individually inspected by the paint team, and a wave-scan tool objectively measures the texture of the surface to ensure there are no imperfections — even those not visible to the human eye.Each car is then individually inspected by the paint team, and a wave-scan tool objectively measures the texture of the surface to ensure there are no imperfections — even those not visible to the human eye.

Last edited by JoesC5; 12-03-2018 at 01:33 PM.
firstvettesoon (12-05-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 03:18 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,518 Likes on 2,319 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by ArmchairArchitect
That's 100% accurate. If the Corvette paint shop was painting metal cars, you'd have the best production car paint finish in the world.

For those wondering, the new paint shop process does involve wet sanding.
The following 2 users liked this post by jagamajajaran:
elegant (12-03-2018), firstvettesoon (12-05-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 05:12 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Asing the question of whether there is a major improvement in 2019 cars painted in the new shop, who better to ask than the person who individually sells more Corvette than everyone, e.g., Mike@Criswell. According to Mike, “with my already having seen over 300 Corvettes painted in the new shop, their paint is much better, and much more importantly, my customers are happy with their paint.”

Was there one hood glitch (a OEM hood that a GM supplier painted), yes there was; GM stepped up and fixed that hood’s paint.

Like many, I have been to many exotic car showrooms, and like several smart people posted above, it is a myth that all their paint jobs are orange peel free.
firstvettesoon (12-05-2018)
Old 12-05-2018, 01:30 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
The NSX's entire paint process is 20 hours per car. A multi-step preparation leads to e-coat, 2 costs of primer, 5 coats of base coat and 2 layers of clear coat before 16 hours of in-process curing. Once cured, the entire car is hand sanded and wiped down and given another 2 layers of clear coat. Then each car is individually inspected by the paint team, and a wave-scan tool objectively measures the texture of the surface to ensure there are no imperfections-even those not visible to the human eye....and that's is on composite panels like the Corvette uses. Each car is then individually inspected by the paint team, and a wave-scan tool objectively measures the texture of the surface to ensure there are no imperfections — even those not visible to the human eye.Each car is then individually inspected by the paint team, and a wave-scan tool objectively measures the texture of the surface to ensure there are no imperfections — even those not visible to the human eye.

Quite a process and description. Thanks!

Is it in your opinion lightyears better than the Corvette paint? The new paint shop paint?

Do you think the C8 paint will be different than any c7 paint that came from the new shop so far.? Different techniques etc?

Old 12-05-2018, 08:05 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by firstvettesoon
Quite a process and description. Thanks!

Is it in your opinion lightyears better than the Corvette paint? The new paint shop paint?

Do you think the C8 paint will be different than any c7 paint that came from the new shop so far.? Different techniques etc?
I have no idea how the C8 process(or the results) will compare to the NSX as GM is 100% reluctant to tell us anything about their painting process, etc, other than it's "great".

Quick Reply: Question about new paint shop