Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Something tells me GM management has delayed the C8

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 07:14 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
When no schedule has been announced, there can be no delay. If GM had announced they'd be revealing the new Corvette at DTW or NYC in 2019, and then cancelled that plan, that would be a delay.
Yep, and there can be no schedule, because, at least from a GM standpoint, there is no car. How can you schedule a car that does not exist?

I believe one of three things will happen here:
1. They will roll this thing out in Detroit as an eye popping surprise, like Ford did with the GT.
2. They will roll it out later in the year, or next, as they may be planning the build up strategy and tying up details on the car.
3. They will decide changing the Corvette is too big of risk, sweep the whole thing under the rug, and it will be another tale in the history of Corvette lore.
Old 12-08-2018, 08:35 AM
Vernon
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by JDSKY
At the risk of my entire business I am compelled to disclose some inside information specifically addressing the current rumors and speculation surrounding the possible delays of the Corvette Manta Ray in hopes this will quell the possibility of any further significant distress and disappointment across the Corvette fan base and most importantly the membership herein.

There will be no delays of the new car and the launch will go on as planned and in the venue as has been previously selected. All testing has been completed and the car has surpassed all established benchmarks and expectations. In fact, it is so good any and all pre-announce marketing efforts have been placed on temporary hold until 45 days prior to the specified launch date. Hold onto your hats gentlemen and gentle ladies. The Eagle will be Landing soon.
Do you know/see unlimitedPOWER's post? Very similar writing style/sentiment...

I’m close enough to the inside to know the following about GM’s plans for the Corvette. I cannot reveal all I know without jeopardizing my business’s success, so please do not ask me to explain further, I will not answer. If you don’t believe me then that’s fine, I wouldn’t either if I was in your shoes, but I’m compelled to post now so there is less disappointment later when the Eagle has Landed.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:45 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by Atari_Prime
Viper was never intended to make any money. It was a halo car. The car was a fantastic beast, the car equivalent of using a sledgehammer to drive a nail through a piece of cheese. Fantastic in every way, practical in none. It was meant to make us drool and get people in the door, nothing more. And it was great at it.

Completely agree that Corvette does not make much money for GM (if any) but the car serves the same purpose as the Viper. It is a brand image, and they will not get rid of it. The sinking of the Corvette would signal the sinking of GM as a company.
Oh my lord...where do you guys come up with this crap???
If Viper "was never intended to make any money", why did they stop making it (since it wasn't making money and didn't need to)? I mean, it's a "halo" car and I'm sure loads of folks walked in to see a Viper and walked out with a minivan. Viper is GONE because it did NOT pull it's weight, PERIOD.
FCA is NOT in the business of making cars that LOSE money. THAT is why the Viper is DEAD.
Jeez.

PS. The Audi R8 goes away in 2020. That's Audi's "Halo" car, and it sold a LOT better than the Viper (but obviously NOT well enough to stay alive). The R8 shares a good deal of it's construction with the Huracan, making it more profitable than the Viper ever could be. And yet...it's gone in a year and a half.

Last edited by jimmyb; 12-08-2018 at 12:22 PM.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:58 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by Atari_Prime
Viper was never intended to make any money. It was a halo car. The car was a fantastic beast, the car equivalent of using a sledgehammer to drive a nail through a piece of cheese. Fantastic in every way, practical in none. It was meant to make us drool and get people in the door, nothing more. And it was great at it.

Completely agree that Corvette does not make much money for GM (if any) but the car serves the same purpose as the Viper. It is a brand image, and they will not get rid of it. The sinking of the Corvette would signal the sinking of GM as a company.
Wrong, wrong, wrong regarding the part in bold above.

The Corvette is incredibly profitable for GM. During the bankruptcy reorg, the auditors concluded that Corvette was one of, if not the most profitable GM division. The difference between Corvette and Viper/Ford GT is that Corvette has always filled both halo car and profit center roles beautifully. That's why it's been here continuously for nearly 66 years and the others come and go.

Last edited by Foosh; 12-08-2018 at 01:39 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
Corvette ED (12-08-2018), Zaro Tundov (12-10-2018)
Old 12-08-2018, 10:04 AM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 390 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
No spy shots for months.

No teasers.

8,000 white collar workers losing their jobs.

Five plant closures in the U.S. and Canada.

Talk of electrification being the future.

I don't know any more than anyone else here, but my intuition is I suspect GM management has put a wrench in the works of the C8. I recall the build-up to the C7, and this seems too quiet for a build-up to the C8. Based on past history, when things go bad at GM, sports cars suffer. GM is big on corporate edicts, too. All it takes is some corporate edict, such as electrification, to cause a full reset on the C8 project. The engineers would have to scramble around to meet the edict, and the car is delayed.
It probably takes some time to develop a vehicle to the level expected by the typical Corvette owner. I'd rather they "get it right" than "get it too quickly to market."
That's my guess. Developing a totally different vehicle, which the C8 is, takes longer than a 42 minute 1 hour show on TV. Have patience, grasshopper.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:05 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Vernon
Do you know/see unlimitedPOWER's post? Very similar writing style/sentiment...

I’m close enough to the inside to know the following about GM’s plans for the Corvette. I cannot reveal all I know without jeopardizing my business’s success, so please do not ask me to explain further, I will not answer. If you don’t believe me then that’s fine, I wouldn’t either if I was in your shoes, but I’m compelled to post now so there is less disappointment later when the Eagle has Landed.

LOL, not similar, identical. He copied the key parts of the OP to layout his prank post. However, I do believe the real OP knows pretty much exactly what's going to happen.

Last edited by Foosh; 12-08-2018 at 10:06 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
Corvette ED (12-08-2018), Zaro Tundov (12-10-2018)
Old 12-08-2018, 10:27 AM
rayco
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default production #'s

I just wonder if production #'s of the c7 and previous yrs. are out yet ? …
Old 12-08-2018, 10:34 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Of course, the numbers are released every year and all over the internet. Link below shows Corvette sales from 1953-2017.

Corvette Numbers Since 1953-2017
The following users liked this post:
ShagVette (12-09-2018)
Old 12-08-2018, 11:56 AM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

The Corvette is incredibly profitable for GM. During the bankruptcy reorg, the auditors concluded that Corvette was one of, if not the most profitable GM division. The difference between Corvette and Viper/Ford GT is that Corvette has always filled both halo car and profit center roles beautifully. That's why it's been here continuously for nearly 66 years and the others come and go.
There was just interview with all the past & present engineers of Corvette. In the interview GM said the Corvette was the only car in the Chevrolet line up that was turning a profit when the company was in trouble in 2009? GM told Tadge to offer new colors and stripes to the C6 to stretch out production for a few years untill they reorganized.
Foosh (12-08-2018)
Old 12-08-2018, 12:28 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Thank you!!!
I don't know how this "Corvette doesn't make money" thing started....So, GM makes a model for 66 years, hoping it will be profitable one day?
Foosh (12-08-2018)
Old 12-08-2018, 12:38 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

I know, it never ceases to boggle my mind how some people reach certain conclusions that completely defy logic.
Old 12-08-2018, 02:46 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
If Viper "was never intended to make any money", why did they stop making it (since it wasn't making money and didn't need to)? I mean, it's a "halo" car and I'm sure loads of folks walked in to see a Viper and walked out with a minivan. Viper is GONE because it did NOT pull it's weight, PERIOD.
FCA is NOT in the business of making cars that LOSE money. THAT is why the Viper is DEAD.
Jeez.
A lot of truth in these 2 posts.

firstvettesoon (12-09-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 09:29 AM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts

I agree but GM doesn't seem to understand that in 2018 people communicate instantly and they haven't even ACKNOWLEDGED THE CAR./ SOMEONE ANYONE EXPLAIN THAT. So we're gonna be "wow they have a new CORVETTE.I DIDN'T KNOW THAT WOW"
Old 12-09-2018, 10:03 AM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

I think there is a difference between “ not making money”. And loosing money. Breaking even is ok. ( for a advertisement billboard halo car ) Loosing (a lot of ) money is not.

As a brand attraction and flagship Corvette not only “sells” well but also attracts customers to other GM products. Ford GT May also to a lesser degree only due to the cost but I don’t think there is one in every Ford dealer to draw attention. Could be wrong.

Viper , to me, never felt like a “Dodge” and always felt like a separate brand. Not sure if it brought people to Dodge like Corvette does for GM. Also, a brand needs to have other offerings that are respectable enough to buy in lieu of a Halo car IMO. If the other offerings are duds, the customer walks anyway.

The halo halo car is the sparkly thing in the window. The candy that brings attention to the brand but ya still need the meat and potatoes.

Crap... now I’m hungry...

Last edited by firstvettesoon; 12-09-2018 at 10:04 AM.
Zaro Tundov (12-10-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 06:17 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

^^^ That's a good post. With some solid logic in it. And reality.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:06 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by Walter Raulerson
I agree but GM doesn't seem to understand that in 2018 people communicate instantly and they haven't even ACKNOWLEDGED THE CAR./ SOMEONE ANYONE EXPLAIN THAT. So we're gonna be "wow they have a new CORVETTE.I DIDN'T KNOW THAT WOW"
I do not understand that sentiment nor how one follows the other. So we communicate instantly. Why do you need to know about an upcoming car right now? There are a few people on the edge of their seats who can hardly contain themselves they are so excited, but those people are few and tend to think anyone important must hang out on this forum. I cannot believe that GM does not have a solid marketing plan and will pull the trigger on starting it up when they feel the time is right. They're not required to "acknowledge the car" just because you want them to. When they do, like you said, people will know right away.

Old 12-10-2018, 12:21 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

After some more thought, it just makes more and more sense that GM would delay the C8 introduction. There is a huge amount of bad press about the plant closings and layoffs. The issue has turned political from both sides of the aisle. It has sent shock waves through the stock market. The UAW contract expires in September 2019. This bad press is likely to go on for months. Not a great time to introduces a new sports car with a lot of fanfare and jubilation.

Add to this that GM has said they are going "all in" on electrification, it would not be a good time for them to say, "And by the way here is our new 500 hp V8 powered sports car." They will have to let this die down. I would not be surprised to see the C8 delayed, and they make it a 2021 model. They may skip a year just like they did 1982 to 1984.

Last edited by Michael A; 12-10-2018 at 12:22 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Something tells me GM management has delayed the C8

Old 12-10-2018, 12:33 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
After some more thought, it just makes more and more sense that GM would delay the C8 introduction. There is a huge amount of bad press about the plant closings and layoffs. This bad press is likely to go on for months. Not a great time to introduces a new sports car with a lot of fanfare and jubilation.
Respectfully disagree, Michael...
If America has learned ANYTHING in the last 2 years it is when bad news strikes the way to deal with it is to distract and change the subject.
It's a lesson that we shouldn't have needed demonstrated, but modern Americans are poor students of history.

Last edited by sunsalem; 12-10-2018 at 12:34 AM.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:59 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Respectfully disagree, Michael...
If America has learned ANYTHING in the last 2 years it is when bad news strikes the way to deal with it is to distract and change the subject.
It's a lesson that we shouldn't have needed demonstrated, but modern Americans are poor students of history.
Fair enough. You may be right. Thanks for weighing in.
sunsalem (12-10-2018)
Old 12-10-2018, 03:28 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Originally Posted by Walter Raulerson
Honda/Acura showed EVERYONE how NOT to do it with the NSX. Yes, people have access to info quickly. An because of that, people have SHORT attention spans. Honda/Acura proved that it is indeed impossible to re-heat a cold omelet. By the time the NSX came out, half the customers didn't care.
I'll promise you when GM is ready, you will see MORE stuff about the car then you want to.

PS. The political grandstanding is already over...they all got their righteous indignation lathered up, gave impassioned speeches to THEIR followers, and now, they're on to other stuff. 24 hour news tends to make for a very short shelf life of stuff like plant closings.

Last edited by jimmyb; 12-10-2018 at 03:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Something tells me GM management has delayed the C8