Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8.R video - testing at Sebring

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 09:21 PM
Red67John
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 195 Posts

The marketplace, and the technology, are evolving. Remember, the Corvette started with a straight six, grew into a small block V8, and went through variations of carbs and fuel injection all before the big block. The contemporary iteration that most of you are driving will soon be as antiquated as that Blue Flame Six.

Yes, we will probbaly see auxiliary electronic motors in a later version of the C8, and eventually a fully electric Corvette, but it will be because of the market place and latest technology not the government. It’s just Darwinism, folks.
The following users liked this post:
CorvettoBrando (12-21-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 09:29 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by GOC
What I'm saying is, both the C8R and the road car have a similar profile as the C7. That angular rear quarter panel is very similar to the C7 and from a glance of the profile, they look similar with just the front being a bit shorter and the rear being a bit longer.

You may have missed that the front fender of the C8R is also wider and has a vent that makes it look more aggressive while the road car's front fenders are narrower and plain. The rear diffuser is also very aggressive while the road version is very tamed. I'm hoping the road version will be very close to the C8R because if you are going ME, might as well go all out exotic. These seemingly minor differences amount to a whole different feel. Everyone sees styling differently and this is just my opinion, I don't expect you to agree.

i do agree. The c8R is an exaggerated version of the c8 but they do look very similar. The c8 IMO is supposed to retain the feel of Corvette. IMO it will look like a more angular and aggressive mid engine platform C7.
elegant (12-07-2018)
Old 12-08-2018, 12:57 AM
C5VetteKing
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

Very impressive looking Vette, but the sound is different.
Old 12-08-2018, 01:08 AM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Received 495 Likes on 260 Posts
Default That sound... What the hell is that?

Originally Posted by C5VetteKing
Very impressive looking Vette, but the sound is different.
****. I'm embarrassed. I cannot identify that thing by the sound. Clearly loves to rev, so not the Mark IV big block I'm used to. Neither a typical small block Chevy.

It's different. Jarring to an old street drag racer. But I gotta tell you. It's impressive as all hell. Sounds like it could wind out forever.
Old 12-08-2018, 01:09 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by Quinten33
We all saw the issues the Ford GT GTLM cars had in their first year. They seemed to have a mechanical failure every race, and I think that it’s because they rushed it into the series.
That was flukey.
Take a look at previous seasons (2016-7)...
Maybe not as bulletproof as the C7.R, but they have done well nonetheless.
They had it racing well before the GT started production. Pratt and Miller doesn’t want that to happen with the C8.R, and it won’t.
Why?
Expect to see the full thing in race livery at Le Mans, but it won’t race until the Rolex 24 in 2020.
If that is true, then Chevrolet is conceding the 2019 season championship and that would be something unprecedented in Corvette Racing's 20 year history.

Originally Posted by C6Z06C6
Twin turbo small displacement V8.......zero doubt
No question.
Old 12-08-2018, 01:41 AM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Received 495 Likes on 260 Posts

It adds up!
Old 12-08-2018, 08:33 AM
FrankLP
Miles of Smiles
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 540 Likes on 365 Posts
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist

Doubt the street version will have this... and this was probably pointed out before (it's visible on the day shots too)... but I just noticed what appears to be a intake on top of the rear deck.

Last edited by FrankLP; 12-08-2018 at 08:36 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by FrankLP:
elegant (12-08-2018), LLK (12-08-2018)
Old 12-08-2018, 10:50 AM
JockamoIPA
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 48 Posts

Didn't see anyone post this but to me there's a discernible difference between the 8R and what most think will be the production as far as engine sound goes, and the production sound is a little deeper.

Last edited by JockamoIPA; 12-08-2018 at 10:50 AM.
Old 12-08-2018, 11:19 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
That was flukey.
If that is true, then Chevrolet is conceding the 2019 season championship and that would be something unprecedented in Corvette Racing's 20 year history.
That's not true at all. IMSA and FIA BOP adjustments keep things relatively equal every year. However, the net effect of that is the least capable car drags the rest of the field down to their level. That's one of the problems Ford's been facing w/ the FGT. The biggest culprit in slowing everyone else down is BMW which has been consistently slower than everyone else for several years now.

Originally Posted by JockamoIPA
Didn't see anyone post this but to me there's a discernible difference between the 8R and what most think will be the production as far as engine sound goes, and the production sound is a little deeper.
I don't think we're necessarily seeing the C8R in the Sebring video. I think we're seeing essentially a street car that has some modifications including a racing engine, wing, and a few other tweaks. Pratt and Miller has more than a year before the first race to lock in the C8R configuration.

Obviously, the street car won't sound anything close to that, and neither does the C7R sound anything like the street car.

Originally Posted by Quinten33
We all saw the issues the Ford GT GTLM cars had in their first year. They seemed to have a mechanical failure every race, and I think that it’s because they rushed it into the series. They had it racing well before the GT started production. Pratt and Miller doesn’t want that to happen with the C8.R, and it won’t. Expect to see the full thing in race livery at Le Mans, but it won’t race until the Rolex 24 in 2020.
That's not at all an accurate account of FGT's first year (2016).

Ford had technical (mostly electronics) issues in the 2016 FGT intro year very early, in the first race at Daytona, and second at Sebring. They quickly sorted it out, and became very dominant, putting together a string of IMSA wins. They finished 1,3, & 4 at the 2016 24 Hours of Le Mans, 5 months after their first race, and they had already won in IMSA before that. All 4 cars were running at full speed at the end of 24 hours.

Shortly after, IMSA BOP dialed them back a lot and C7R did win the IMSA manufacturer's championship. However, that wasn't because of reliability as much as it was the fact that the FGT was significantly slowed primarily by limiting boost and adding weight, but they finished 2nd.

Last edited by Foosh; 12-08-2018 at 02:59 PM.
Old 12-08-2018, 11:35 AM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

https://youtu.be/ttWw8aoaq10
Of course they sound different. One is a racecar and the other is not.
LLK (12-08-2018)
Old 12-08-2018, 11:42 AM
eyedeekay
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

https://youtu.be/ttWw8aoaq10
It's the same case with the Ford GT, the racing version sounds totally different than the road going version but they have the same engine. The difference is that the c8 has a V8 for sure
Old 12-08-2018, 11:55 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

They're not the same engine, but the racing engines are derived from the street engine, which is what FIA and IMSA GTLM rules require.

In the case of the ME, there will almost certainly be multiple engines used in various versions, and the C8R will only have to be derived from one of those engines.

Last edited by Foosh; 12-08-2018 at 11:57 AM.
Old 12-08-2018, 12:07 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
That's not true at all. IMSA and FIA BOP adjustments keep things relatively equal every year. However, the net effect of that is the least capable car drags the rest of the field down to their level. That's one of the problems Ford's been facing w/ the FGT. The biggest culprit in slowing everyone else down is BMW which has been consistently slower than everyone else for several years now.
Sorry my point in the above post was wasn't very clear.
I was referring to the reg where, IIRC, IMSA throws out any points earned previously during the season when a new car is introduced.
IOW, any points earned previous to Le Mans are dumped and, essentially, Corvette Racing's season truly begins there, which is why manufacturers introduce new cars at the beginning of seasons not midway thru.
At least that's the way I remember it.

I don't think we're necessarily seeing the C8R in the Sebring video. I think we're seeing essentially a street car that has some modifications including a racing engine, wing, and a few other tweaks. Pratt and Miller has more than a year before the first race to lock in the C8R configuration.
Gotta disagree on that one...
I believe the car at Sebring truly is the C8.R that will be raced by the boys & girls at C.R. next year.

Obviously, the street car won't sound anything close to that, and neither does the C7R sound anything like the street car.
True, but it sure sounds good anyway.

Ford had technical (mostly electronics) issues in the 2016 FGT intro year very early, in the first race at Daytona, and second at Sebring. They quickly sorted it out, and became very dominant, putting together a string of IMSA wins. They finished 1,3, & 4 at Le Mans. All 4 cars were running at full speed at the end of 24 hours.

Shortly after, IMSA BOP dialed them back a lot and C7R did win the IMSA manufacturer's championship. However, that wasn't because of reliability as much as it was the fact that the FGT was significantly slowed primarily by limiting boost and adding weight, but they finished 2nd.
Old 12-08-2018, 12:35 PM
f-16pilotTX
Racer

Received 274 Likes on 107 Posts

In my opinion, I think we are basically seeing the C8. I assume (and hope) that the side scoop profile is the same. Just from past generation similarities between the street version and .R version. I still believe the ring photos a couple months ago were still full of padding and disguise from the real thing. Sucks we still have to wait till New York most likely. But I think the C8.R profile will be almost identical to the street C8, besides the stance. You guys think the same?
The following 2 users liked this post by f-16pilotTX:
CorvettoBrando (12-21-2018), firstvettesoon (12-08-2018)
Old 12-08-2018, 12:46 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Sorry my point in the above post was wasn't very clear.
I was referring to the reg where, IIRC, IMSA throws out any points earned previously during the season when a new car is introduced.
IOW, any points earned previous to Le Mans are dumped and, essentially, Corvette Racing's season truly begins there, which is why manufacturers introduce new cars at the beginning of seasons not midway thru.
At least that's the way I remember it.
Salem, you are correct on the above. Once they start the IMSA season, which happens exactly 7 weeks from today (1/26/19), they are pretty much locked in to campaigning the same car. They wouldn't be forfeiting C7R points, but they'd have to keep racing it to compile additional points. I don't think they have the sponsorship money or infrastructure to campaign both the C7R and new C8R, when it's ready.

There is some thought that they may try to do some testing of the C8R in some of the WEC events in the fall of 2019. That would keep the C7R IMSA season intact.

On the C8R, it's way too early to have locked in the final configuration. There's a lot of tweaking and design work to do, and Pratt & Miller (AKA "Corvette Racing") has a long way to go. The process is to start testing with something very close to the production car, and then start modifying what they need to modify to get to something competitive in the GTLM class and compliant with all the rules.

Last edited by Foosh; 12-08-2018 at 01:32 PM.
sunsalem (12-08-2018)
Old 12-08-2018, 12:55 PM
stealthy08
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by f-16pilotTX
In my opinion, I think we are basically seeing the C8. I assume (and hope) that the side scoop profile is the same. Just from past generation similarities between the street version and .R version. I still believe the ring photos a couple months ago were still full of padding and disguise from the real thing. Sucks we still have to wait till New York most likely. But I think the C8.R profile will be almost identical to the street C8, besides the stance. You guys think the same?
Yes
I LOVE the C8R. The camo cars testing in germany - they are okay but nothing I would go out of my way to spend money on. Kind of odd I get such a different reaction to the cars. Blow my mind GM, were ALL waiting....
Old 12-08-2018, 02:58 PM
mustclime
Drifting

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by C6Z06C6
Twin turbo small displacement V8.......zero doubt
it’s a v6.... with turbos..... I had a feeling that’s what it would sound like. Chevy is following the trend... nsx.... v6 turbo, Ford gt...v6 turbo. The ford gt was designed to win the class, that’s why it has a v6. The 5.5 l v8 in the c7r was limited like crazy to meet racing class rules.... the rules give advantages to v6 motors... the c8r has a v6....look, go to YouTube and and watch clips of the IMSA nsx and gt.... they sound the same.

Get notified of new replies

To C8.R video - testing at Sebring

Old 12-08-2018, 03:05 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Under current IMSA GTLM rules, you have to be under 6L to run naturally aspirated, and under 4L to run with forced induction. They could downsize the Cadillac 4.2TT V8 but to homologate that would have to be offered in a C8 production car.

Last edited by Foosh; 12-08-2018 at 03:08 PM.
Old 12-08-2018, 04:00 PM
NICK YOSKIN
Le Mans Master

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by ZL-1
Sounds like a flat plane crank. I wonder if that would be allowed in the race car if it’s not in the street car?

100% Flat plane all the way. Rumor says LT1 in first MY. Wonder if flat plane LT1?
LLK (12-08-2018)
Old 12-08-2018, 04:02 PM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

That sounds very much like a Ferrari V8.
LLK (12-08-2018)

Quick Reply: C8.R video - testing at Sebring