Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM Authority: C8 Delayed 6 Months Over Electrical Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 08:32 PM
RedDropTop
Instructor

Received 85 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
Jalopnik just released more info on the delay. Sorry I don't have the link. Released 2 hours ago.
https://jalopnik.com/the-mid-engine-...-mi-1831083705
Old 12-13-2018, 08:42 PM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by BLUE1972
Yes, V=IR, is simple.

But when you get to the second derivative : the calculations get deeper. They are probably dealing with electrical demand and feed back / spike issues. Stepper motors and computers do not like feed back and transient voltages... Another car company is learning that with it's automatics sometimes doing strange/ bad things....

When I was working we had hybrid's that were an import - if you keyed your mike on your handheld radio while it was sitting in the cup holder - the check engine light would come on.... kind of like some cars do not like the "safe driver" plug in...

With the complexity of todays cars and the amount of sensors relaying information - the wiring and control of RF and spikes can get really complex.

Lets hope it is all figured out before they hit the market...
I work in the 12 volt and 24 volt industry and you bring up very good points....one additional thing to remember is heat is a huge issue when working with electronics. Once things get hot (alternator, wiring, motors, video displays, etc) they can become problematic. Alternators don't put out their specified amperage and voltage....wiring becomes more resistant and electrons don't flow efficiently.....electric motors and video displays consume more power....maybe the battery is getting too hot under certain conditions...who knows?? All of it can lead to a viscous cycle of doom. And if the algorithm for the PCM controlled alternator is wrong, this causes more problems since the alternator can now "shut down" to help with fuel economy. Yikes....it's enough to drive an engineer to drinking.

I have two Range Rovers and the batteries (large 61 pounders) never lasts more than 3.5 years. Modern vehicles (especially luxury models) are amperage killers.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:19 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,626 Likes on 6,630 Posts

Originally Posted by NY09C6

my wife has a 2017 230i bmw. The start/stop is horrendous. If it did not have a button to disable it we would never have bought it.
The wife has a 2018 X5 SUV but her prior 2014 X5 was also fine. Even when it's 90F the cabin blower stays on and for a normal length stop light the temp is fine. It will start if it can't maintain the set interior temp. At about 95F is does not shut off.

The only time I shut it off is when in Sport mode which is seldom as the wife is usually with me and I can't push her car or I won't be able to borrow it when needing to hale "stuff!" When by myself I will occasionally use Sport but only to have fun not to shut off Start/Stop.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:42 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Default That Explains Why No Mules Seen - Dead Batteries

Well, this explains why no mules have been seen lately. It's been getting colder, and all of them had dead batteries. AAA only gives you three free jumps a year.
The following users liked this post:
wadenelson (12-14-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 10:34 PM
Stew24
Pro

Received 177 Likes on 104 Posts

Very surprised at the number of people who think an electrical issue could not create a delay in the development and introduction of this vehicle. I think we should be reminded of the length of time it took Honda to get the current NSX ready for production. Honda first announced the new NSX was being developed in 2007 with a projected sale date of 2010. This car employs some of the same hybrid gas and electrical motors tech that the C8 is rumored to include. The NSX took nearly 10 years to get production ready! From 2007 until it's introduction in 2016, people complained the whole way about how long it was taking. When I bought my first Honda back in the early 80's, and compared it to my current at that time, Camaro ... it was clear to me ... These Asian Engineers are some SMART MF's!!! So, ... if GM is building a new supercar with new tech electronic wizardry, and a newly found electrical problem has added a new 6 month delay, ... I find this TOTALLY PLAUSIBLE! Not saying the NSX delays were electrical, .. but whatever, ... they took the time to get it right!, ... so I get it!
Old 12-13-2018, 10:42 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

I read an article years back that said the electrical systems on vehicles will need to be upgraded to possible at least 24volts. One of the problems with that is the simple use of capable switches. Some, if not most, aircraft use 24 volt switches and they are expensive. I will say that I just replaced the 12 volt battery in a 2009 S550. The original battery still had some life; impressive.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:53 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by neile300c
GM doesn't have a "turn off button" for start / stop on any of there vehicles that I'm aware of. I had a Cruze with it, and have driven a Malibu and a couple Buicks (and a new Equinox), and none of them have it. The only way to turn it off is to put the gear lever in manual mode.
OK, I simply said I've never driven a vehicle that had start/stop and didn't have a disable button. I've never owned a GM product other than Corvette. The start/stop feature works/worked flawlessly in my '15 Jeep and in my '14 Jaguar F-Type. That's all I said.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:01 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,518 Likes on 2,319 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

There's an incredible team working on the next generation Corvette. Whatever issues they are dealing with during testing, they will get worked out as quickly as possible. I find it laughable that some in various social media are knocking the Corvette team because a problem was found during the testing phase. Don't forget, Corvette is the longest running car nameplate in America and is the tip of the spear for Chevrolet technology. The Corvette team isn't going to let us down. Stay tuned!
The following 6 users liked this post by jagamajajaran:
BMadden (12-14-2018), elegant (12-13-2018), fasttoys (12-14-2018), Foosh (12-17-2018), JerryU (12-14-2018), RedDropTop (12-13-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-13-2018, 11:38 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Very accurate and well stated Jag.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:43 PM
Zora.Info
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts

I think car manufacturers have auto start stop the wrong way. Instead of pressing a button to turn the system off every time you turn on your car, you should press a button to turn the system ON when you turn on your car. If you know you're going to be doing a lot of city driving, or just plain stop and go, then you can press the button when the need arises. I know a lot of the auto start stop delete kits have it working this way so if you want to turn the system on, you press the button that used to turn the system off.
sunsalem (12-14-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 11:58 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by Zora.Info
I think car manufacturers have auto start stop the wrong way. Instead of pressing a button to turn the system off every time you turn on your car, you should press a button to turn the system ON when you turn on your car. If you know you're going to be doing a lot of city driving, or just plain stop and go, then you can press the button when the need arises. I know a lot of the auto start stop delete kits have it working this way so if you want to turn the system on, you press the button that used to turn the system off.

I am sure they feel...we need to be protected from ourselves... ; )
Old 12-14-2018, 12:39 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran
There's an incredible team working on the next generation Corvette. Whatever issues they are dealing with during testing, they will get worked out as quickly as possible. I find it laughable that some in various social media are knocking the Corvette team because a problem was found during the testing phase. Don't forget, Corvette is the longest running car nameplate in America and is the tip of the spear for Chevrolet technology. The Corvette team isn't going to let us down. Stay tuned!
Exactly. That's what testing is for. GM didn't promise the car by a certain date. It will get here when it's ready. Much better to work out the kinks now than later. If GM changed their mind on a design, then that's their prerogative. I'm sure it will be a better car for it.
jagamajajaran (12-14-2018)
Old 12-14-2018, 12:49 AM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

Originally Posted by Stew24
Very surprised at the number of people who think an electrical issue could not create a delay in the development and introduction of this vehicle. I think we should be reminded of the length of time it took Honda to get the current NSX ready for production. Honda first announced the new NSX was being developed in 2007 with a projected sale date of 2010. This car employs some of the same hybrid gas and electrical motors tech that the C8 is rumored to include. The NSX took nearly 10 years to get production ready! From 2007 until it's introduction in 2016, people complained the whole way about how long it was taking. When I bought my first Honda back in the early 80's, and compared it to my current at that time, Camaro ... it was clear to me ... These Asian Engineers are some SMART MF's!!! So, ... if GM is building a new supercar with new tech electronic wizardry, and a newly found electrical problem has added a new 6 month delay, ... I find this TOTALLY PLAUSIBLE! Not saying the NSX delays were electrical, .. but whatever, ... they took the time to get it right!, ... so I get it!
Honda only has themselves to blame for that. They changed it from an off the shelf, transverse NA V6 (like the original NSX) to a clean sheet longitudinal twin turbo V6 midway through the project.

Originally Posted by elegant
Very accurate and well stated Jag.
I notice you're no longer posting your usual line of "everything is fine and the car is on the original schedule and nothing is delayed and everything is awesome and the Corvette team is the bestest and it'll all be on time I promise and pinky swear".
Old 12-14-2018, 02:21 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran
Yeah, but this is really embarrassing (from Jalopnik):
"A source speaking to Jalopnik, also on condition of anonymity, elaborated on the issue further, claiming GM began developing the mid-engine sports car with a wiring harness and electrical system found across GM’s current lineup, only to determine that it needed to swap it out for a newer, more capable electrical system deep into the development process."

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
I had my BMW "coded" so Start/Stop is disabled unless I put the car in Eco mode.
Lucky you.
Old 12-14-2018, 04:53 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Electrical issue is fake news.

there is just too much unsold inventory...if in fact there is an actual delay...

what was the official gm press conference scheduled for before this supposed electrical problem popped up...l€?
638HP (12-14-2018)
Old 12-14-2018, 06:35 AM
RandomTask
Race Director

Received 276 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
I read an article years back that said the electrical systems on vehicles will need to be upgraded to possible at least 24volts. One of the problems with that is the simple use of capable switches. Some, if not most, aircraft use 24 volt switches and they are expensive. I will say that I just replaced the 12 volt battery in a 2009 S550. The original battery still had some life; impressive.
Aircraft use 28v, not 24v. Anything aviation is expensive due to requirements for air worthiness.

If you lose an alternator on a car, you can pull over miles down the road before your battery drains. Problems are a lot worse 13k feet in rhe air.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:55 AM
dfettero
Burning Brakes

Received 221 Likes on 137 Posts
Default Redesign wire harness

Originally Posted by marknagy13
I'm not buying this either. Electrical problems would not cause a 6 month delay. That kind of stuff is very easy to fix.
Redesign of wire harness, testing and new production would take 6 months.

Get notified of new replies

To GM Authority: C8 Delayed 6 Months Over Electrical Issue

Old 12-14-2018, 09:34 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,626 Likes on 6,630 Posts

Originally Posted by Zora.Info
Hmm, if you are going on an Interstate, don’t worry have not had the wife’s SUV Stop yet!

This sounds like Rev Match some complain about Not coming on automatically! How hard is it to press a button! On average 17% of the energy in gasoilne is wasted idling. So why not try to keep it being used.

For you automatic folks I’d be more for a switch for NOT V4 mode! We M7 folks only have that when we put it in Eco. Have not put my Grand Sport in Eco Mode in almost the two years I’ve owned It!

Hope the aftermarket has a C8 Kit soon after intro to defeat V4 mode.

Expect the DCT will force V4 just like an A8!

If you havn’t noticed, Marry Barry laid off 14,000 folks and closed plants to focus on electric cars! Be happy to push a few buttons and for the aftermarket at least for a while you won’t have to plug it in a 220 Volt line when you get home.

Last edited by JerryU; 12-14-2018 at 10:17 AM.
CorvetteBrent (12-15-2018)
Old 12-14-2018, 10:06 AM
SnowyATX
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 211 Posts

Flux Capacitor is undersized. Needs a little redesign.
wadenelson (12-16-2018)
Old 12-14-2018, 10:48 AM
The HACK
Burning Brakes

Received 686 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
My understanding of electrical engineering is limited, but I believe the impetus to move to 24V was that, as current draw increases with today's added electrical component demands, wiring harnesses will have to get bigger, thicker, and HEAVIER and more expensive. That it's cheaper and easier to move to 24V and keep the wiring harnesses the same gauge to keep weight and cost down and still drive enough current through.

Problem is, of course, that all the electrical components will all have to be designed to accept 24V current, or have some sort of additional transformer to step back down to 12V which defeats the purpose.
CorvetteBrent (12-15-2018)

Quick Reply: GM Authority: C8 Delayed 6 Months Over Electrical Issue