Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Need For Detroit In January, NYC In April, nor LA in November

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 11:32 AM
RonnieC6Z
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 230 Posts

Default No Need For Detroit In January, NYC In April, nor LA in November

This is because, for the most part, because of the inter net, auto shows are becoming less necessary. We all know how many manufacturers have pulled out of showing in Detroit. For some years now, Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren and a few others have stopped showing in L.A. And this year, for the first time, Bentley & Rolls did not show up. Keep this in mind...of all of the folks who are interested in seeing and possibly buying a C8, what percentage go to the show where it is introduced? Obviously a very small percentage. I think just as much excitement worldwide would be had if Chevy announces that on a particular date and time, the worldwide intro of the C8, say from GM in Detroit, will be on the inter net. Press from all over would be invited and would show up. Every one of us will tune in. This is the wave of the future as far as automobile introductions will take place. If Chevy was planning on introducing the C8 in Detroit but nixed that because of delays, it is logical that they not wait for a particular future show since the web is available anytime. Furthermore, the only 2 U.S. shows that create worldwide interest are Detroit and L.A. Since Detroit is out, I don't see Chevy waiting until the end of 2019 for the L.A. show. A few years ago I spoke to someone at Ferrari who said that it makes no sense to spend the time and money showing a the L.A. show, even though L.A. is the largest Ferrari market in the country. He went on to say that everyone will see new Ferraris on the web, and those who are interested in buying will just go to the dealer and test drive one, which you can't do at an auto show. Obviously, all of this is just my opinion, but if I am correct, how cool would it be to get an announcement form GM inviting everyone on the planet to get in front of their computer at a particular date and time in the near future!
Old 12-16-2018, 12:23 PM
RonnieC6Z
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Zora.Info
Read my above post. It was a joke. Everybody on this forum is going crazy right now. What color is your C6Z?
MY C6Z WAS yellow, but it is long gone. I have a Black C7 Z51 convertible, my 11th Vette. I accept your above post as a joke. No big deal.

Last edited by RonnieC6Z; 12-16-2018 at 12:37 PM.
Old 12-16-2018, 12:29 PM
Zora.Info
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Darion
Lol. You have the worst style of lightening up the forum I have ever seen! Hahahaha. No hint what so ever thats what you are doing, not a lol or emoji, just a snarky comment followed up with a snarkier comment. Then one of these for good measure.

PC
Haha yeah it just came out of nowhere.
Old 12-16-2018, 12:31 PM
Zora.Info
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by RonnieC6Z
MY C6Z WAS yellow, but it is long gone. I have a Black C7 Z51 convertible, my 11th Vette. I accept you above post as a joke. No big deal.
Nice. Not a fan of C6s, but I like the C6 Z06. The LS7 sounds so good. My favorite Corvette is the C7 gen, followed by the C3.
Old 12-16-2018, 12:39 PM
Red67John
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Zora.Info
LOL, and where did you get that info? Exactly, you pulled it out of your ***. Once we know what damn show the C8 will be at, trust me, tons of potential owners will be there to see it. There's many many people on this forum that have said they are going to the unveiling. And the part that you said "Obviously, a very small percentage" was the icing on the cake. In that part you not only assumed, but tried to set your assumption in stone. And it did not work out well
i would go out on a limb and guess, simply guess, that less than the proverbial handful of readers from this forum would go to the C8 unveiling, unless it is in their own backyard, and then it would be just the handfull. I suspect less than 1% of the readers on this forum would travel more than a couple hundred miles, especially those complaining about a potential base price above the C7.

Yeah, I’m pulling this out of my ***, but anecdotally, I’ve been around corvette owners most of my adult life. The internet, will suffice as fhe unveiling venue, unless a C8 demo shows up in their back yard.

Last edited by Red67John; 12-16-2018 at 01:53 PM.
Old 12-16-2018, 12:45 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Back in 2013 my Corvette club chartered a bus and we went to the NYC auto show to see the C7? We are doing the same thing this year if the C8 is in New York
Old 12-16-2018, 01:23 PM
ShagVette
Safety Car

Received 915 Likes on 426 Posts

My guess is NYC In April. After all GM has riding on the C8, can't see them not doing a big unveil somewhere.
Old 12-16-2018, 01:49 PM
TRT SR
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 102 Posts

I saw the new 2015 Z06 at Cobo and placed my order the next week....car shows still have a place....my 2 cents
Old 12-16-2018, 01:58 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,984 Likes on 935 Posts

They can do both. The shows are more for press coverage and youtubers. They can do a live stream simultaneously.
Old 12-16-2018, 01:59 PM
Red67John
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 195 Posts

A chartered bus trip of 135 miles from Pottsville to NYC would be fun. A couple coolers of Yuengling and a bunch of Corvette buddies. I doubt that same bus load of people would travel much further than that, but for you guys, I hope it happens in NYC! Enjoy!!!
Old 12-16-2018, 02:26 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Of course I would not go out of my way to go to an unveiling. I would depend on the news media to film the whole thing so I could watch it from home. To have all the top guys there at an unveiling talking about the new model is a ritual. Somehow seeing an announcement on a forum isn't quite the same thing. I look forward to a show, wherever and whenever it is.
Old 12-16-2018, 03:10 PM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Makes sense to do both - the show for the press and other opinion-mongers, and then the internet which will reach far more of the real audience of buyers worldwide. If it were within 200 miles, I'd eventually go see it but I'd want to get near it for a closer look which is not what a major show is all about. Best place to go see it up close and personal is probably a dealership. I'm interested, but I can wait.
Old 12-16-2018, 03:26 PM
*89x2*
Team Owner

Received 2,103 Likes on 1,075 Posts

#AutoShowsMatter
Old 12-17-2018, 12:50 AM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Shows, like Conventions, are necessary. It's a place where press from all over the world gathers and tries to outscoop the other guys. In fact its where the internet GETS its information. Besides, people want real people to comment on something, not just the company line.

IMO, LA in November. Porsche has released new model cars there before. Fiat reintroduced its brand and the Alfa Romeo brands at LA.
Old 12-17-2018, 01:41 AM
msm859
Melting Slicks

Received 997 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by Red67John

i would go out on a limb and guess, simply guess, that less than the proverbial handful of readers from this forum would go to the C8 unveiling, unless it is in their own backyard, and then it would be just the handfull. I suspect less than 1% of the readers on this forum would travel more than a couple hundred miles, especially those complaining about a potential base price above the C7.

Yeah, I’m pulling this out of my ***, but anecdotally, I’ve been around corvette owners most of my adult life. The internet, will suffice as fhe unveiling venue, unless a C8 demo shows up in their back yard.
I just went 500 miles to the LA auto show to see the debut of the new Lincoln Aviator - probably wife's next car. I would go further then that to see the new C8.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:05 AM
mre1974
Drifting

Received 330 Likes on 186 Posts

yep, no need for any of the 2019 shows. We'll see the final production ready real deal in Detroit in June 2020.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:51 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Some rumors suggest january 24 th at some race event and I cant remember where...

sad to hear rumors that the auto show circuit is being abandoned ...

ive been going to autoshows since 1963 and its one of the fond memories I have of my dad whose been gone for 30 years.

not a big deal to utilize the internet to have an official corvette release event ...

nothing we can do about it...

Get notified of new replies

To No Need For Detroit In January, NYC In April, nor LA in November

Old 12-17-2018, 12:02 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by RonnieC6Z
This is because, for the most part, because of the inter net, auto shows are becoming less necessary. We all know how many manufacturers have pulled out of showing in Detroit. For some years now, Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren and a few others have stopped showing in L.A. And this year, for the first time, Bentley & Rolls did not show up. Keep this in mind...of all of the folks who are interested in seeing and possibly buying a C8, what percentage go to the show where it is introduced? Obviously a very small percentage. I think just as much excitement worldwide would be had if Chevy announces that on a particular date and time, the worldwide intro of the C8, say from GM in Detroit, will be on the inter net. Press from all over would be invited and would show up. Every one of us will tune in. This is the wave of the future as far as automobile introductions will take place. If Chevy was planning on introducing the C8 in Detroit but nixed that because of delays, it is logical that they not wait for a particular future show since the web is available anytime. Furthermore, the only 2 U.S. shows that create worldwide interest are Detroit and L.A. Since Detroit is out, I don't see Chevy waiting until the end of 2019 for the L.A. show. A few years ago I spoke to someone at Ferrari who said that it makes no sense to spend the time and money showing a the L.A. show, even though L.A. is the largest Ferrari market in the country. He went on to say that everyone will see new Ferraris on the web, and those who are interested in buying will just go to the dealer and test drive one, which you can't do at an auto show. Obviously, all of this is just my opinion, but if I am correct, how cool would it be to get an announcement form GM inviting everyone on the planet to get in front of their computer at a particular date and time in the near future!
I agree with some of what you say that the internet is far more powerful than any car show. However, car shows are not about selling to consumers or potential consumer attendance, they are about generating press coverage, which ends up on the internet. NYC has far surpassed both DTW and LA in terms of international press coverage.

Credible internal info leaked in early October indicated NYC was the plan at that point in time. However, we're now into the last 2 weeks of December, and that plan may have been pushed back.

Last edited by Foosh; 12-17-2018 at 12:05 PM.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:31 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Cool if in NY City its easy for me to see the corvette c8 release...

i think itll be sooner but wtf do I know..
Old 12-25-2018, 12:54 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Think about how the 97 was revealed. The press got to drive the cars at Road Atlanta in November but the car wasn't revealed until March when select dealers had them on their showroom floor under a cover. I forget the specific date but on that date the covers were removed and a Customer could order a car at that time. We didn't know what the car was going to look like until the covers were removed. Magazines with the test drive reports started being delivered to subscribers shortly after people got to see the car.

I had a chance to purchase one of the cars that was sent to a dealer for the reveal. I had been trying to get info on the car for a few months but nobody had any info. In late February, I happened to be back in my home town for a funeral and after everything was over just drove over to the dealership and asked if they had any info on the new Vette. The salesman said sure follow me. He took me across the street to their new car prep area and there was a white 97 sitting there waiting to be prepped. They had just received the car the day before. The salesman said if I wanted the car I would be second on the list. One of their best Customers had the right of first refusal and he was coming in to see the car the following day. Late in the afternoon of the following day I got a call from the salesman. The car was mine if I wanted it. They would sell the car for list price but didn't know what it was since GM wasn't releasing the price until the day of the reveal which was a few weeks away. I decided to pass on the car as well since it didn't have the options I wanted and ordered one from the guy instead.

No car shows. Just an old fashioned dealer reveal like they had done back in the 50s and 60s.

Bill

Quick Reply: No Need For Detroit In January, NYC In April, nor LA in November