Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A good read on the electrical delay

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 01:59 PM
F4 Phantom
Melting Slicks

Received 490 Likes on 292 Posts

Default A good read on the electrical delay

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/12/17/...021&yptr=yahoo
The following users liked this post:
pdpratt (12-18-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 02:22 PM
wadenelson
Burning Brakes

Received 332 Likes on 199 Posts

"The electrical system can't handle the required loads, so engineers need to redesign all the wiring."

Has Lucas, the Prince of Darkness arisen into the glare of LED headlights?
Old 12-17-2018, 06:05 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

Originally Posted by wadenelson
"The electrical system can't handle the required loads, so engineers need to redesign all the wiring."

Has Lucas, the Prince of Darkness arisen into the glare of LED headlights?
How long does it take to build a harness using larger diameter wires? Is one question.
How long does it take to order bigger motors, gears, and relays? is a different one.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:43 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

Still find it almost impossible to believe that in this day and age of super computer simulations and Proto type testing and years of real world Field testing and data gathered from competitors cars that such a delay is possible. Somebody made some fundamental error‘s in assumptions and requirements early on and it was never discovered until a few months before they are about to go into production?

Last edited by firstvettesoon; 12-17-2018 at 07:50 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by firstvettesoon:
purple heart (12-19-2018), sunsalem (12-19-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 07:58 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Seems to me GM was trying to cut the budget and use existing parts which didn't do the job.

Let's hope its the only place they did this.

Last edited by Sin City; 12-17-2018 at 07:59 PM.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:07 PM
Klinn
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

What sources was the Autoblog report based on? Are they real or just the usual "obscure unknown insiders state" kind of stuff?
(I can't read the post itself, that site has too much scripting crap going on)
Old 12-17-2018, 08:16 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by firstvettesoon
Still find it almost impossible to believe that in this day and age of super computer simulations and Proto type testing and years of real world Field testing and data gathered from competitors cars that such a delay is possible. Somebody made some fundamental error‘s in assumptions and requirements early on and it was never discovered until a few months before they are about to go into production?

Could be that they are struggling with the two tier voltage system. The Europeans have been at it since the late 90s. Volvo will be the first in production. Just saying.
firstvettesoon (12-17-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 08:25 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I was initially a major skeptic, but after reading five technical articles (which are really excellent) on the need for 48V (now over 10 major OEMs have it on at least some of their cars, and 48 volt will literally be on most cars within the next five years, I am not longer a skeptic. I can not link where they are, but you folks are smart and know how to find them.

After you read just a couple, I think you will join me in being a believer, not a skeptic on the need for 48V system. And how about more torque, better fuel consumption and other benefits to such systems too.

Now as to whether GM could have caught this earlier...., no argument that hindsight for us all is usually better than our foresight.

Nevertheless, some of us we have waited five decades for a mid engine Corvette, and really do we need to gripe about a short delay from our mentally-wrong earlier preductions.

Reveal is coming this spring. And for those of us in a savings mode, if it is a month or even three later that the first ones are delivered, good, we can buy more mods when it arrives.

Last edited by elegant; 12-17-2018 at 08:26 PM.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:28 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

BTW, the linked article in the OP, is nowhere near as good as many other 48V tech articles are if wants to learn how come, the “whys” as to the advantages of such systems.

Last edited by elegant; 12-17-2018 at 08:28 PM.
Old 12-17-2018, 09:22 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by elegant
I was initially a major skeptic, but after reading five technical articles (which are really excellent) on the need for 48V (now over 10 major OEMs have it on at least some of their cars, and 48 volt will literally be on most cars within the next five years, I am not longer a skeptic. I can not link where they are, but you folks are smart and know how to find them.

After you read just a couple, I think you will join me in being a believer, not a skeptic on the need for 48V system. And how about more torque, better fuel consumption and other benefits to such systems too.

Now as to whether GM could have caught this earlier...., no argument that hindsight for us all is usually better than our foresight.

Nevertheless, some of us we have waited five decades for a mid engine Corvette, and really do we need to gripe about a short delay from our mentally-wrong earlier preductions.

Reveal is coming this spring. And for those of us in a savings mode, if it is a month or even three later that the first ones are delivered, good, we can buy more mods when it arrives.

Thanks E !

I was half joking but I still find it incredible if these things were not anticipated with all the simulation testing and experience from Euro cars etc. I am sure it is not a "simple" issue and as you say, it is not a huge delay IF it is a delay at all. Like some said, can't delay what ain't announced ! They are right on time! Well done GM !

; )
pdpratt (12-18-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 11:03 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Received 869 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by firstvettesoon

I was half joking but I still find it incredible if these things were not anticipated with all the simulation testing and experience from Euro cars etc.
Are you forgetting about the ignition switch fiasco a few years back that occurred because GM engineers could not figure out the correct spring strength to hold the switch in "Run" position? Then they doubled down and replaced weak springs with stronger versions but did not change the part number so there was no way to know which ignitions had good springs. How many ways can a brand new car be screwed up? We are about to find out.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:39 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by PCMIII
How many ways can a brand new car be screwed up?
They can put C7 tail lights on it. They can not address the faulty PCV system(s) causing oil burning since 97, they can make the exhaust tips caged in a spot that make aftermarket variety of size/shape not possible (like the c7), they can paint the rear lower valance black like a kid would (as they have done in the c7) and finally, they could make sure the car is delayed another year.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:56 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Are you forgetting about the ignition switch fiasco a few years back that occurred because GM engineers could not figure out the correct spring strength to hold the switch in "Run" position? Then they doubled down and replaced weak springs with stronger versions but did not change the part number so there was no way to know which ignitions had good springs. How many ways can a brand new car be screwed up? We are about to find out.

mistakes will happen... I blame it all on computers, or more accurately, peoples trust in them...

Come on people... we got to the moon with slide-rules and speak & spells...

Last edited by firstvettesoon; 12-17-2018 at 11:58 PM.
vndkshn (12-18-2018)
Old 12-18-2018, 06:03 AM
SpeedyD
Melting Slicks

Received 144 Likes on 70 Posts

It may sound unbelievable but lets not forget the past:
http://articles.latimes.com/1999/oct/01/news/mn-17288
ArmchairArchitect (12-18-2018)
Old 12-18-2018, 10:08 AM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Here is a decent explanation of the 48V mild hybrid system that is in the new Audi A6.

https://www.greencarcongress.com/201...180411-a6.html
Old 12-18-2018, 10:48 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

That was a mistake by a single engineer (you don't assign multiple engineers to design a switch to meet defined requirements) who then tried to cover it up by releasing a change without changing the P/N. More than likely the cover up was attempted because the engineer didn't want to get a poor performance appraisal from their boss. Instead, they got the company in deep trouble and lost their job instead of just getting less money when bonuses and raises were passed out. The big wonder is how the person got the change submitted through engineering records without generating an engineering change order. To do that usually requires finding a willing clerk to blink at the correct time and how many clerks are willing to risk losing their jobs just so somebody else could save theirs.

Bill
firstvettesoon (12-18-2018)
Old 12-18-2018, 11:04 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
That was a mistake by a single engineer (you don't assign multiple engineers to design a switch to meet defined requirements) who then tried to cover it up by releasing a change without changing the P/N. More than likely the cover up was attempted because the engineer didn't want to get a poor performance appraisal from their boss. Instead, they got the company in deep trouble and lost their job instead of just getting less money when bonuses and raises were passed out. The big wonder is how the person got the change submitted through engineering records without generating an engineering change order. To do that usually requires finding a willing clerk to blink at the correct time and how many clerks are willing to risk losing their jobs just so somebody else could save theirs.

Bill
The switch's design change(without changing part numbers) was approved up the chain of command. The lowly engineer did not do it on his own.

Get notified of new replies

To A good read on the electrical delay

Old 12-18-2018, 11:09 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
Here is a decent explanation of the 48V mild hybrid system that is in the new Audi A6.

https://www.greencarcongress.com/201...180411-a6.html
The Audi mild hybrid 48 volt system has 70% of the fuel economy savings at 30% of the cost of a full hybrid design.

Seems to be the answer to getting better fuel economy at a reasonable cost up front in the car's MSRP.

Old 12-18-2018, 11:23 AM
jcp911s
Melting Slicks

Received 1,583 Likes on 795 Posts

After 3 decades in the telecom industry, I can tell you that technology is evolving much faster than product development cycles, and management... by the time a design is approved, it may be obsolete. Modern cars have enormous draw on electrics... not only for convenience features like HVAC/NAV/Sound/Seats, etc, but fundamental systems such as steering, shifting, engine management etc, etc. Plus you need to incorporate future requirements in a product with a 4-5 year life cycle.

I read somewhere that a Bentley COntinental has a wiring harness that contains thousands of feet of wire hundreds of components and weighs hundreds of pounds.... I don't have the numbers right (you can look it up), but it was mind boggling!

It does not surprise me, as this as electrical systems are the "moonshot" techology of mid century auto tech.
vndkshn (12-18-2018)
Old 12-18-2018, 11:44 AM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by jcp911s
After 3 decades in the telecom industry, I can tell you that technology is evolving much faster than product development cycles, and management... by the time a design is approved, it may be obsolete. Modern cars have enormous draw on electrics... not only for convenience features like HVAC/NAV/Sound/Seats, etc, but fundamental systems such as steering, shifting, engine management etc, etc. Plus you need to incorporate future requirements in a product with a 4-5 year life cycle.

I read somewhere that a Bentley COntinental has a wiring harness that contains thousands of feet of wire hundreds of components and weighs hundreds of pounds.... I don't have the numbers right (you can look it up), but it was mind boggling!

It does not surprise me, as this as electrical systems are the "moonshot" techology of mid century auto tech.
Not only this, don't forget they are also dependent upon suppliers and things who may also mess up or make changes. It's not impossible for Delphi to come back and say "hey, when we tested all the cool new features you put into the Corvette, we realized it ran to slowly, so we upped the components and need more power". And then GM redoes calculations, realizes that it is getting close to max, but should still work. And then during testing they realize, everything works great even with the new loads, except if you use both power windows at the same time, while sitting at a stop light when auto-stop has kicked in -- and they forgot to re-plan for that.

vndkshn (12-18-2018)

Quick Reply: A good read on the electrical delay