Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does GM have the the cojones to...

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 01:38 PM
myc7z51
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Does GM have the the cojones to...

This recent revelation that GM is having problems validating the C8 electrical system piqued my interest - why would a company that has been building cars for over 100 years have issues?

The answer could be that it is going to a 48V system. Seems to be all the rage - everyone is doing it.

But why would they do it? If they went total F1 with KERS and MGU- H - I would be tripping major nut-sack (think La Ferrari)

A hybrid with 2 electric motors akin to the Porsche 918 would also be nice -

or a twin turbo like the Mclaren P1 would show the Europeans some taillights come track day.

Whatever the reason is, I know Corvette has the talent to conceive it - the problem is - and always has been - getting the concept into production...
Old 12-22-2018, 01:43 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

A hybrid Cadillac version could be the one causing the problems.
Old 12-22-2018, 03:16 PM
JerryC5
Melting Slicks

Received 198 Likes on 79 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by myc7z51
This recent revelation that GM is having problems validating the C8 electrical system piqued my interest - why would a company that has been building cars for over 100 years have issues?
Because every new design brings new problems and understanding of the system. There were many steps between the first caveman who made a fire and the first atomic bomb.
Having spent a career in product design and development, at every failed test, someone would say "THATS WHY WE BUILD PROTOTYPES"

Last edited by JerryC5; 12-22-2018 at 03:17 PM.
Old 12-22-2018, 03:44 PM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

The answer could be that it is going to a 48V system. Seems to be all the rage - everyone is doing it.

But why would they do it? If they went total F1 with KERS and MGU- H - I would be tripping major nut-sack (think La Ferrari)

or a twin turbo like the Mclaren P1 would show the Europeans some taillights come track day.

Whatever the reason is, I know Corvette has the talent to conceive it - the problem is - and always has been - getting the concept into production...
I chuckle at your question, "why would a company that has been building cars for over 100 years have issues?"

So, according to this logic, every company that's been around for 100 years does not make mistakes and has every project go according to plan. Must be nice in your world!
Old 12-22-2018, 06:54 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Hmm could it be that GM hasn't produced a mid-engine car in quite awhile?---about 30 years. And, under these Fed regs, with this new, and newer technology?

So, new chassis, new engine, new engine location, new composites, new regs, new trans, new tech----d'ya think someone, somewhere might encounter a few late-stage issues?

I would certainly think so. After all, Ford had been building cars since '03 (that's 1903) before they came out with the poor Pinto in '70
The following 2 users liked this post by AORoads:
JustinStrife (12-31-2018), skank (12-22-2018)
Old 12-22-2018, 08:17 PM
heavymetals
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Go talk to anyone who has had a ground problem with a C5.

Then look at the stupid way the grounding was done.

Electrical problems became worse as nobody at GM understood instrumentation of low level analog signals.
Old 12-22-2018, 08:19 PM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 445 Likes on 382 Posts

Fiber optic (glass) or soy based (recyclable/ green) wiring were my first thoughts.
Old 12-23-2018, 03:51 PM
myc7z51
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

To everyone who responded - please google the term "rhetorical question"

To everyone else - no GM is not perfect - far from it. But to delay the launch by 6 months IS significant, and my fevered mind instantly leapt to the attributes I would like the C8 to have.

While the European exotics are nice, I neither have the money or the inclination to own one and to me, the Corvette is the "working man's supercar"
The following users liked this post:
firstvettesoon (12-23-2018)
Old 12-23-2018, 04:19 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

If you didn’t want replies you should have titled the thread “ A Statement by Myc7z51. ; )

Happy holidays to all !
vndkshn (12-26-2018)
Old 12-23-2018, 04:20 PM
GM5778
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 16 Posts

I actually think the delay is BS. I think they are trying to give dealers a little more time to sell the ZR1s. Many have "market adjustment" mark ups and the dealers won't get them if the C8 is publicly announced in Jan. So IMO its more likely GM is giving the dealer network a bit more time to get rid of current ZR1 inventory, because if you have $135k+ or more for a ZR1, why not wait 6-12 months for the $150k+ highest performing C8????
Old 12-23-2018, 04:49 PM
LB001
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Rhetorical Question?

To everyone else - no GM is not perfect - far from it. But to delay the launch by 6 months IS significant, and my fevered mind instantly leapt to the attributes I would like the C8 to have.

While the European exotics are nice, I neither have the money or the inclination to own one and to me, the Corvette is the "working man's supercar"
A forum is an assembly for discussion of matters of public interest. You pose a question on a form, this forum, and you get answers.
vndkshn (12-26-2018)
Old 12-23-2018, 04:56 PM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

There is no such thing as a "working man's supercar." That is an oxymoron.
Old 12-23-2018, 07:01 PM
Yarbie
Burning Brakes

Received 391 Likes on 218 Posts

Your not getting P1 or any other supercar tech for 60k. Much less the power, braking, interior quality.
anyone thinking this is not living in reality. I love all the folks dreaming their gonna buy a supercar for 60k.
Old 12-23-2018, 08:50 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by Yarbie
Your not getting P1 or any other supercar tech for 60k. Much less the power, braking, interior quality.
anyone thinking this is not living in reality. I love all the folks dreaming their gonna buy a supercar for 60k.
no one expects a supercar for 60k. We do expect the c8 to cost not much more than that.

Old 12-23-2018, 09:13 PM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 205 Posts

Doesn't anybody remember the story of Max Balchowsky and Old Yellar? He took parts from various donor cars and built maybe the ugliest race car that has ever been seen, then beat the Ferraris, Maseratis, and whatever else was coming from Europe. Maybe the C8 won't be the chick magnets that the ultra expensive supercars are, but that doesn't mean that it can't keep pace with or even outperform the exotics.
Old 12-23-2018, 09:18 PM
Hammerhead69
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NY09C6

no one expects a supercar for 60k. We do expect the c8 to cost not much more than that.

Then what’s the point of coming out with a whole new, from the ground up, car design?

Edit: Thats why I think the C8 will push $100k because it’s a completely redesigned car from the ground up. If GM wanted something similar in performance & price to the C7 the they would just slap a new body on the current RWD chassis & call it a day.

Last edited by Hammerhead69; 12-23-2018 at 09:23 PM.
Old 12-23-2018, 09:48 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammerhead69
Thats why I think the C8 will push $100k because it’s a completely redesigned car from the ground up.
That is what the C5 was, all new from the ground up. Only parts bin part was the door handle and maybe the lug nuts. There was not a significant increase in price then ($37,225 to $37,495)

Last edited by Tom73; 12-23-2018 at 09:52 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Does GM have the the cojones to...

Old 12-24-2018, 05:57 AM
Corvette 1467
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Guys, STOP COMPARING IT TO HYPERCARS! It’s a General Motors vehicle! It’s going to be plastic and steel brakes! A 918 is the cheapest car of the holy trinity, and it cost 1.5m.
Old 12-24-2018, 08:10 AM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,373 Likes on 1,061 Posts

To everyone making points about the brakes... the most recent mule shots don't seem to be the typical shiny steel rotors. Could just have a higher carbon content or its the lighting.

Probably won't be in hyper car territory but it should be one hell of a performer. GM can't price themselves out of their own market so keep that in mind when guessing prices. Just saying. Base trim will be in Z06 territory most likely as that has been the trend with the last few generations.
Old 12-25-2018, 10:10 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

If the topic is about them incorporating a hybrid system similar to those used in other sports cars, then I think, at some point they will. At some higher end performance and trim level they will, they'll really have to if the horsepower and torque goals keep moving north.

If the topic of this thread is about the "delay", well, there is no "delay" because, officially, there is no mid engine Corvette. GM hasn't even acknowledged the car, much less set a reveal date to "miss". The car is still in the R&D phase, and this phase could be another six months, or six years. The "delay" rumor was nothing more than a "click bait" headline from a non GM affiliated web site to keep advertising revenue flowing. I just don't understand how so many intelligent individuals can just accept this click bait as fact, when in reality there simply are no "facts" about this alleged car at this point.

Personally, I'm still leaning that GM isn't going to tease, or even reference this thing until they just drop in on the public stage. Whether that stage be Detroit or New York. But then, who knows? Oh yeah, no one, that's who, except for those in the inner circle of trust at GM.

Quick Reply: Does GM have the the cojones to...