Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bob Lutz via Car Buzz reports C8 to cost not much more than C7

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 02:32 PM
rulesoflogic
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not saying obesity is the only reason for the sea change in the vehicle market in the US, but I think it's the primary reason. Of course an older America (median age now of 38) is also a reason.

I also think "blaming" obesity for the changes in vehicle purchases is politically incorrect so many media outlets won't go there. Remembering Pareto's 80-20 rule I firmly believe that 80% of Americans who are overweight have become that way due to lifestyle choices. Sue me...
Old 01-07-2019, 03:17 PM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

Originally Posted by rulesoflogic
I'm not saying obesity is the only reason for the sea change in the vehicle market in the US, but I think it's the primary reason. Of course an older America (median age now of 38) is also a reason.
Outside of the sports car realm or finding a screaming deal, my next vehicle will not be a car. Even for my 32 year old, non-obese body, getting into and out of a crossover or SUV or truck is simply much more pleasant for a daily driver. There is a lot more cargo room that is shaped in a much better manner instead of trying to feed stuff through the seatbacks, more ground clearance which is nice for sight lines even if it never leaves the road, it offers more seating capacity if you have a family, and both the price difference and mileage difference are quickly converging between cars and car based crossovers. I don't think obesity has anything to do with it, as much as they are simply a more practical vehicle with little drawback over a car.
Old 01-07-2019, 03:22 PM
rulesoflogic
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More married couples without children live in the US than married couples with children. Millions of single-person households are here, as well. For them, room for families is irrelevant. However, they still buy SUVs and pickup trucks overwhelmingly. SEVENTY percent of American adults are overweight and ONE-THIRD are obese. To say those facts don't affect vehicle purchases at all is just wrong, IMO.
Old 01-07-2019, 04:24 PM
JDSKY
Melting Slicks

Received 1,200 Likes on 592 Posts

More married couples without children live in the US than married couples with children. Millions of single-person households are here, as well. For them, room for families is irrelevant. However, they still buy SUVs and pickup trucks overwhelmingly. SEVENTY percent of American adults are overweight and ONE-THIRD are obese. To say those facts don't affect vehicle purchases at all is just wrong, IMO.
You seem to have a pretty tight grip on this theory that a person's weight specifically drives their car buying decisions. Everyone is entitled to an opinion but I really don't think so. I have participated in many forums that constantly debate why people overwhelmingly have been choosing SUV's and trucks over cars (sedans and coupe's). We are at the point where Ford is moving completely away from cars. Maybe I'm wrong but the sheer numbers are staggering when you look at the demise of that market compared to the decline in sports cars to the point where in contrast that data looks like a rounding error.

Who knows. Maybe obese people cannot fit into a traditional sedan or coupe' either.

Last edited by JDSKY; 01-07-2019 at 04:25 PM.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:27 PM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 207 Posts

I think people are just BIGGER and like to sit higher. The modern SUV / CUV gives them more space, a better view of the road and more volume to carry around all their crap. I don't think it is any more complicated than that.

The era of buying cars for performance or aesthetic reasons is dying with the baby boomers. Millennials could give a $hit what the thing looks like as long as it has 4 wheels and it goes ! I raised a couple of them and they both feel the same way.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:45 AM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

I am one of those married childless folks. I have a bike I regularly take places. Where, exactly, do you expect me to place a bike in a Miata or a Corvette?

Last edited by jefnvk; 01-08-2019 at 07:45 AM.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:03 AM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Received 1,039 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by jefnvk
I am one of those married childless folks. I have a bike I regularly take places. Where, exactly, do you expect me to place a bike in a Miata or a Corvette?
If you're dedicated to the sports car experience then it's mandatory to transport your bike to the trailhead via sports car.

Last edited by Zaro Tundov; 01-08-2019 at 11:05 AM.
The following users liked this post:
dcbingaman (01-08-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 11:15 AM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Received 1,039 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by dcbingaman
I think people are just BIGGER and like to sit higher.

Bingo. I took my mother to the doc the other day and every damn wheelchair was super-sized to a degree that made them uncomfortable for her. In my GP's clinic all the chairs are double wide monstrosities. Even when I see kids waiting for the school busses, over half of them are freakin' HUGE, and usually they're toting a bottle of carbonized corn syrup.

An obesity epidemic is ravaging America and driving down life expectancies, particularly in rural areas where people drive everywhere and have mechanized machines to do all their chores. My obese neighbor even rides his lawn tractor down his driveway to get the mail! For fresh produce in my area it's a 45 minute round trip. Ironically, despite being surrounded by farms, I feel like I live in a food desert. During the summer it's a great excuse to drive twisty back roads on a broccoli run, but in the winter it's all just a PITA.

Old 01-08-2019, 11:22 AM
JDSKY
Melting Slicks

Received 1,200 Likes on 592 Posts

Sit higher? I can agree with that. More room? Disagree. Go test drive the average compact or even midsize SUV. My daughters Mazda 6 has more physical space in both the front and rear seats than any of the wildly popular small SUV's on the market these days.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:45 AM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Zaro Tundov
If you're dedicated to the sports car experience then it's mandatory to transport your bike to the trailhead via sports car.
Heh, right after I typed post that I immediately had the urge to google "C4 corvette bike rack"

My point wasn't bikes specifically, rather space in general. Yes, a two seat sports car works fine if all you are looking for is a butt hauler and need no cargo room, past that they can run out of practicality easily even without a family.

Another factor I would consider at play: families are getting by with less cars than before. The one car family is a trend on the upswing, as is milliennials not owning cars all together. Whether those hold or not remains to be seen, but If one is making the economic decision to get by with less, it stands to reason the cars they choose are going to be more practical minded than two seat sports cars.
Old 01-08-2019, 03:40 PM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 207 Posts

Man, I've got to admit, that LaFerrari looks way cool, even with that bike rack on top of it. The bike is probably taller than the car !!
Old 07-21-2019, 10:14 AM
Boiler_81
Drifting

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

"Old out of touch" Bob had it pegged. Once an insider at that level, you will always have a good information pipeline.

Originally Posted by TXshaggy

Here are some shots of the article:
Old 07-21-2019, 11:22 AM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

and whats so different from c7 to c8?

what parts are one and not on the other?
Old 07-22-2019, 09:27 AM
KGrant
Melting Slicks

Received 1,195 Likes on 663 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

My Road Bike fits right in the hatch just fine just by removing the front wheel! No Car Rack needed but if you have two bikes to haul then that's a different story!

Last edited by KGrant; 07-22-2019 at 09:34 AM.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:58 AM
zeke2u
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Also, don't need power steering....
Old 07-22-2019, 10:09 AM
dfettero
Burning Brakes

Received 221 Likes on 137 Posts

According to the GM C8 info there is ONLY 1 PART on the C8 that was on the C7
Old 07-22-2019, 10:14 AM
xcaliber501
Racer

Received 329 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by KGrant
My Road Bike fits right in the hatch just fine just by removing the front wheel! No Car Rack needed but if you have two bikes to haul then that's a different story!

That's amazing you can get your bike inside the hatch area of your C7. I am an avid biker also and I can't get mine inside my Lincoln. LOL

Quick Reply: Bob Lutz via Car Buzz reports C8 to cost not much more than C7