6 Month Delay = Over A Year to Release Date - Page 2 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C8 Corvette > C8 General Discussion
Reload this Page >

6 Month Delay = Over A Year to Release Date

Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette, be it mid-engine, Zora, or whatever form it may take.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6 Month Delay = Over A Year to Release Date

Old 01-11-2019, 01:55 PM
Foosh
CF Senior Member

Thanked 6,122 Times in 3,561 Posts

Having been high in the food chain of several large organizations, I've overseen a large number of projects, all of which have/had internal timetables. We always developed "optimistic" internal timelines to "motivate" our project teams to bring a big project to fruition as quickly as possible. However, we never considered these official roll-out plans until we were confident they were ready for prime-time.

Slippage of internal timetables is normal and expected, although we are never pleased to see them. I don't think I've ever been involved in a major project that did not slip to varying degrees from the initial projections.
The Following User Says Thank You to Foosh For This Useful Post:
jefnvk (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 04:40 PM
Boiler_81
CF Senior Member

I agree, most here don't have a concept of what it takes to bring a new platform out. I worked for a major tier one supplier as an engineer, program manager and in engineering management for 35 years before retiring last year. In that time span, things have only gotten more complex.

You just don't want to be the person who's part causes a delay to the vehicle launch. I never was but I was close once, thankfully someone else bumped the program before I did.

If there is a delay to the internal GM timeline, I'm glad they are stepping back and getting it right before release. It wasn't that long ago the OEMs would try to massively compress testing and validation in order to met an internal launch date. I was involved with one of those many years ago, it did not turn out well for the OEM or customer.

Originally Posted by jefnvk View Post
Yep. We have timelines on programs that don't yet exist in internet rumors and which aren't even to the point of even early prototypes being available, that won't even be seen in camo for 2-3 years. There is little doubt there is an internal timeline for the C8, which may or may not have slipped, it is hard to produce a car without one. The public in general doesn't realize just how far out all this specialized manufacturing equipment needs to be planned and ordered and how long getting material suppliers verified and supply chains set up takes.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boiler_81 For This Useful Post:
Foosh (01-11-2019), Zaro Tundov (01-15-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 12:37 PM
jcp911s
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Foosh View Post
Having been high in the food chain of several large organizations, I've overseen a large number of projects, all of which have/had internal timetables. We always developed "optimistic" internal timelines to "motivate" our project teams to bring a big project to fruition as quickly as possible. However, we never considered these official roll-out plans until we were confident they were ready for prime-time.

Slippage of internal timetables is normal and expected, although we are never pleased to see them. I don't think I've ever been involved in a major project that did not slip to varying degrees from the initial projections.
Having been on the recieving end of "optimistic timetables" i can tell you this can be a dangerous practice.

I was on the CEO's "pet project", and despite severe technical difficulties, the schedule was in stone, and no Execs had the ***** to tell him. When the project manager announced to the entire team that "Alfa" is scheduled for next Wed, and Beta will be completed by Friday, basically we all just gave up... (this actually happened... I was in the room!!!)

Net result, the launch was a corporate embarrassment, over a billion wasted, the CEO decided to "pursue other interests", execs we re-assigned and millions paid to buy-off customer and suppliers, and scores of key A-list management talent went away completely losing trust in the company which was never regained.

THis is not the first or last time I've seen this, but perhaps the worst example.

I hope GM has learned their lesson
The Following User Says Thank You to jcp911s For This Useful Post:
Foosh (01-15-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 01:13 PM
fnbrowning
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by jcp911s View Post
Having been on the recieving end of "optimistic timetables" i can tell you this can be a dangerous practice.

I was on the CEO's "pet project", and despite severe technical difficulties, the schedule was in stone, and no Execs had the ***** to tell him. When the project manager announced to the entire team that "Alfa" is scheduled for next Wed, and Beta will be completed by Friday, basically we all just gave up... (this actually happened... I was in the room!!!)

Net result, the launch was a corporate embarrassment, over a billion wasted, the CEO decided to "pursue other interests", execs we re-assigned and millions paid to buy-off customer and suppliers, and scores of key A-list management talent went away completely losing trust in the company which was never regained.

THis is not the first or last time I've seen this, but perhaps the worst example.

I hope GM has learned their lesson
^ That sounds like Intel Corp.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:54 PM
Foosh
CF Senior Member

Thanked 6,122 Times in 3,561 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn View Post
97 wasn't revealed until March of 97 and reveal was done in Chevy Showrooms across the country. No auto show reveal at all. Production ran from late February through part of June then they switched over to 98 production. There were only 9752 97 Vettes produced.

Bill
Odd production years happen from time to time. 2018 was one of those with only 9686 18s produced. Some were built prior to the 4-month plant closure and the rest were built from November 2017 until the end of Jan 2018 in the newly refurbished plant and new paint shop.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:09 PM
RJ-92
CF Senior Member

With all the electronic gadgets in cars these days perhaps they decided to switch over to 24v system.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 6 Month Delay = Over A Year to Release Date

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: