Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6 Month Delay = Over A Year to Release Date

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 12:55 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Having been high in the food chain of several large organizations, I've overseen a large number of projects, all of which have/had internal timetables. We always developed "optimistic" internal timelines to "motivate" our project teams to bring a big project to fruition as quickly as possible. However, we never considered these official roll-out plans until we were confident they were ready for prime-time.

Slippage of internal timetables is normal and expected, although we are never pleased to see them. I don't think I've ever been involved in a major project that did not slip to varying degrees from the initial projections.
The following users liked this post:
jefnvk (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 03:40 PM
Boiler_81
Drifting

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

I agree, most here don't have a concept of what it takes to bring a new platform out. I worked for a major tier one supplier as an engineer, program manager and in engineering management for 35 years before retiring last year. In that time span, things have only gotten more complex.

You just don't want to be the person who's part causes a delay to the vehicle launch. I never was but I was close once, thankfully someone else bumped the program before I did.

If there is a delay to the internal GM timeline, I'm glad they are stepping back and getting it right before release. It wasn't that long ago the OEMs would try to massively compress testing and validation in order to met an internal launch date. I was involved with one of those many years ago, it did not turn out well for the OEM or customer.

Originally Posted by jefnvk
Yep. We have timelines on programs that don't yet exist in internet rumors and which aren't even to the point of even early prototypes being available, that won't even be seen in camo for 2-3 years. There is little doubt there is an internal timeline for the C8, which may or may not have slipped, it is hard to produce a car without one. The public in general doesn't realize just how far out all this specialized manufacturing equipment needs to be planned and ordered and how long getting material suppliers verified and supply chains set up takes.
The following 2 users liked this post by Boiler_81:
Foosh (01-11-2019), Zaro Tundov (01-15-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 11:37 AM
jcp911s
Melting Slicks

Received 1,583 Likes on 795 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Having been high in the food chain of several large organizations, I've overseen a large number of projects, all of which have/had internal timetables. We always developed "optimistic" internal timelines to "motivate" our project teams to bring a big project to fruition as quickly as possible. However, we never considered these official roll-out plans until we were confident they were ready for prime-time.

Slippage of internal timetables is normal and expected, although we are never pleased to see them. I don't think I've ever been involved in a major project that did not slip to varying degrees from the initial projections.
Having been on the recieving end of "optimistic timetables" i can tell you this can be a dangerous practice.

I was on the CEO's "pet project", and despite severe technical difficulties, the schedule was in stone, and no Execs had the ***** to tell him. When the project manager announced to the entire team that "Alfa" is scheduled for next Wed, and Beta will be completed by Friday, basically we all just gave up... (this actually happened... I was in the room!!!)

Net result, the launch was a corporate embarrassment, over a billion wasted, the CEO decided to "pursue other interests", execs we re-assigned and millions paid to buy-off customer and suppliers, and scores of key A-list management talent went away completely losing trust in the company which was never regained.

THis is not the first or last time I've seen this, but perhaps the worst example.

I hope GM has learned their lesson
The following 2 users liked this post by jcp911s:
firstvettesoon (01-28-2019), Foosh (01-15-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 12:13 PM
fnbrowning
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by jcp911s
Having been on the recieving end of "optimistic timetables" i can tell you this can be a dangerous practice.

I was on the CEO's "pet project", and despite severe technical difficulties, the schedule was in stone, and no Execs had the ***** to tell him. When the project manager announced to the entire team that "Alfa" is scheduled for next Wed, and Beta will be completed by Friday, basically we all just gave up... (this actually happened... I was in the room!!!)

Net result, the launch was a corporate embarrassment, over a billion wasted, the CEO decided to "pursue other interests", execs we re-assigned and millions paid to buy-off customer and suppliers, and scores of key A-list management talent went away completely losing trust in the company which was never regained.

THis is not the first or last time I've seen this, but perhaps the worst example.

^ That sounds like Intel Corp.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:54 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
97 wasn't revealed until March of 97 and reveal was done in Chevy Showrooms across the country. No auto show reveal at all. Production ran from late February through part of June then they switched over to 98 production. There were only 9752 97 Vettes produced.

Bill
Odd production years happen from time to time. 2018 was one of those with only 9686 18s produced. Some were built prior to the 4-month plant closure and the rest were built from November 2017 until the end of Jan 2018 in the newly refurbished plant and new paint shop.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:09 PM
RJ-92
Race Director

Received 328 Likes on 157 Posts

With all the electronic gadgets in cars these days perhaps they decided to switch over to 24v system.
Old 01-26-2019, 07:01 AM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

Originally Posted by RJ-92
With all the electronic gadgets in cars these days perhaps they decided to switch over to 24v system.
On Autoline this week they talked about the electric delay. Previous GM executive Jack Keebler was on the show and talked about ME issues, he was with GM till 2016. Go to 1:04 time in video when show was already over.

Last edited by fasttoys; 01-26-2019 at 12:14 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by fasttoys:
Boiler_81 (01-26-2019), Michael A (01-26-2019), ReddyZ06 (01-26-2019), Zaro Tundov (01-26-2019)
Old 01-26-2019, 10:12 AM
WesC7
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Interesting tidbit with his comment about the "ADAS" and then the follow-up comment regarding a concerning electronics problem (my words, not his). His comment leads me to believe--as stated in this forum numerous times---AWD? Not sure if this is complete conjecture and just parroting what he has heard or, from some actual whispers in his ear.
Old 01-26-2019, 10:16 AM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Received 1,039 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by fasttoys

On Autoline this week they talked about the electric delay. Previous GM executive Jack Keebler was on the show and talked about ME issues was with GM till 2016. Go to 1:04 time in video when show was already over.
"New electrical architecture."

Sounds like the 48V system with mild hybrid assist. Not sure what's up with the driver assistance features, nor why the Corvette is the appropriate vehicle for their introduction. Keebler made it sound like they will make the 'Vette all but drive itself. Shouldn't that be done on a Cadillac?

Or maybe the base will be a hybrid, but that isn't possible given the price range at which I'm told it will debut.

Last edited by Zaro Tundov; 01-26-2019 at 10:18 AM.
Old 01-26-2019, 02:20 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by Zaro Tundov

Sounds like the 48V system with mild hybrid assist. Not sure what's up with the driver assistance features, nor why the Corvette is the appropriate vehicle for their introduction. Keebler made it sound like they will make the 'Vette all but drive itself. Shouldn't that be done on a Cadillac?

Or maybe the base will be a hybrid, but that isn't possible given the price range at which I'm told it will debut.
The Corvette is about driving, not having the car drive itself, unless we are talking about AI tools that help drivers improve their track skills. Seems like we might be getting close to that point..

I love the comment about the Corvette being out of date when it is released, because a Model X or Taycan can do 0-60 in 3 seconds. Sorry, but the electric cars are one trick ponies. 15 minutes out on the track or climbing a winding mountain road, and the batteries are overheating, the charge is low, and the car pulls power. Then after the batteries are depleted in a half hour, you spend an hour at a charging station while the gas car keeps going. Then after beating the batteries up with fast discharges and charges, you have replace them.

Last edited by Michael A; 01-26-2019 at 02:22 PM.
firstvettesoon (01-28-2019)
Old 01-26-2019, 02:25 PM
kozmic
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 609 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by WesC7
Interesting tidbit with his comment about the "ADAS" and then the follow-up comment regarding a concerning electronics problem (my words, not his). His comment leads me to believe--as stated in this forum numerous times---AWD? Not sure if this is complete conjecture and just parroting what he has heard or, from some actual whispers in his ear.
Originally Posted by Zaro Tundov

'eh, in my mind, they are probably just talking about things like lane departure, adaptive cruise, and perhaps self park, etc.; things that GM/Caddy are already doing. I doubt this particular 'electrical issue' has anything to do with AWD or hybrid tech, at least not in the launch versions of the ME car... but who knows...

Last edited by kozmic; 01-26-2019 at 02:27 PM.
Old 01-26-2019, 04:11 PM
WesC7
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

They can put all the "ADAS" on the car they want.....as long as I can turn it off. Self-park? No offense, but I hope your speculation is 110% wrong. That's one mode that will be a complete waste of $$$'s and absolutely useless---at least for me.
Old 01-26-2019, 05:25 PM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Getting back on point about the delay and regardless of all of the above discussion, if the car was less than three months from official reveal it would be teased by now, perhaps similar to how the C7 was teased. I suspect we won't see it at NYIAS. Even so, would rather see GM do it right than see a basket of promises.
Old 01-26-2019, 07:33 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

I’m still of the school of how can you have a delay for a car that does not have a release date or one that has not even be announced/acknowledged. I will admit that one is coming and that the camo cars we have seen is it, it’s just that we have no idea of when it is coming. It could be a 2020 model or it could be a 2022 model. We have no idea. Once it is announced then we can start talking delays. Right now it is running on internal production timetables.
Old 01-27-2019, 12:18 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom73
I’m still of the school of how can you have a delay for a car that does not have a release date or one that has not even be announced/acknowledged. I will admit that one is coming and that the camo cars we have seen is it, it’s just that we have no idea of when it is coming. It could be a 2020 model or it could be a 2022 model. We have no idea. Once it is announced then we can start talking delays. Right now it is running on internal production timetables.
You can't have a delay from the consumer side with no announcement, but you certainly can from the manufacturer side. Of course, this delay is purely rumor, as is the entire C8, so do with it what you may.
ArmchairArchitect (01-28-2019)
Old 01-28-2019, 11:01 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,165 Likes on 5,989 Posts

If they fill this car up with driver assist crap and hybrid I'm out. Make a basic ME RWD car. Leave all those extras to the fancier versions.
The following 2 users liked this post by RapidC84B:
OnPoint (01-28-2019), Roscoe Primrose (01-28-2019)
Old 01-28-2019, 11:35 AM
The HACK
Burning Brakes

Received 686 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by jcp911s

You got Fyre Festivaled.
ArmchairArchitect (01-28-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To 6 Month Delay = Over A Year to Release Date

Old 01-28-2019, 12:27 PM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
Normally, I would expect the 2020 C8 to be released to customers in October 2019. However with the rumored six month "electrical" delay, that would put it to March of 2020. That's over a year away! This is going to be a very long wait.
i'm starting to not even care any longer. running them around in their little "zebra" outfits has become a joke.
imo all this over-hyping will end up only disappointing in the end. i'm old enough to remember
when nissan tried this kind of tease stuff when they introduced INFINITY brand(clunk).
Old 01-28-2019, 12:35 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Memories are short. The C7 spent a comparable amount of time running around in "little zebra outfits," as have many other manufacturer's new vehicles. There's NOTHING out of the ordinary about what GM is doing with the new ME.
Old 01-28-2019, 01:47 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,165 Likes on 5,989 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Memories are short. The C7 spent a comparable amount of time running around in "little zebra outfits," as have many other manufacturer's new vehicles. There's NOTHING out of the ordinary about what GM is doing with the new ME.
Exactly... the only difference is that a ME Corvette is such big news that it's been in the news the entire time from the Holden UTE mule with a C7 greenhouse and truck bed rear. People seem to forget GM hasn't announced anything or started the release process. This is normal development.

Quick Reply: 6 Month Delay = Over A Year to Release Date