Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 may kill Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 12:53 PM
FrankLP
Miles of Smiles
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 540 Likes on 365 Posts
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by C2C3C4C6
Do you think such a radical departure from the proven Corvette formula has the potential of killing off the Vette? We will see.
Absolutely not. This is arguably the most significant transition for Corvette; truly a revolutionary time. And many Corvette enthusiasts (myself included) as well as other Motorsports enthusiasts believe that this "radical departure" is actually needed to sustain Corvette; to propel Corvette for years to come.

I'm guessing another future "radical departure" for Corvette will be associated with GM's (and auto makers in general) emphasis on moving towards electric (and/or hybrid) technology.

Enjoy the ride!

Old 01-19-2019, 01:31 PM
carnutsx2
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Part of the advantage is GM can part bin shop to build a car that lays down numbers of cars costing multiple times more. I think there is market share for at least 2 cars , the ME may canabaliz some FE sales but I bet it will pull people from other brands. Why would GM build a car that in the ends sell less cars, if memory serves me correctly they are in the business of making a profit.
Old 01-19-2019, 01:33 PM
MikeG37
Drifting

Received 756 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
This could make a difference in sales. Has there ever been a rear ME that had enough room for luggage to take a weekend get away? I can't recall one right off hand. Maybe GM has found the secret to room in the front.
It'll have room in the front and rear. My wife and I took a 10 day.. over 3,500 mile trip in our Cayman and had no problem with space to put stuff. The Corvette is going to be bigger in just about every dimension, especially the width and depth of the area behind the engine and above the exhaust. Highly doubt it's going to have the space above the engine that the Cayman has, but it may have a little storage behind the seats.
I'd imagine the front trunk will be roughly the same size.

The following users liked this post:
vndkshn (01-22-2019)
Old 01-19-2019, 01:58 PM
jcp911s
Melting Slicks

Received 1,583 Likes on 795 Posts

In 2001 my wife bought a Boxster. We loaded it up for 2 weeks at the beach, (including a telescope) with no problem. I had a business meeting, and drove it from Rehoboth Beach to DC and back in one day, and it was fantastic. To say a ME car is not practical is only from people who have never owned one.
vndkshn (01-22-2019)
Old 01-19-2019, 03:17 PM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by C2C3C4C6
Do you think such a radical departure from the proven Corvette formula has the potential of killing off the Vette? We will see.
Nope
Old 01-19-2019, 03:38 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by jcp911s
In 2001 my wife bought a Boxster. We loaded it up for 2 weeks at the beach, (including a telescope) with no problem. I had a business meeting, and drove it from Rehoboth Beach to DC and back in one day, and it was fantastic. To say a ME car is not practical is only from people who have never owned one.
Try that in a mid engine 2005 Ford GT with it's 1 cu ft of cargo space in the front.
Old 01-19-2019, 04:06 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

There are folks that take cross country trips on bikes, too, with only tank/trunk and saddle bags. But I don't think the majority of baby boomers are in that category. Most like lots of comfort and the amenities of home on their trips.
Old 01-19-2019, 04:09 PM
MikeG37
Drifting

Received 756 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Try that in a mid engine 2005 Ford GT with it's 1 cu ft of cargo space in the front.
Better have a passenger that's willing to occupy and share that car's only meaningful storage space.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:20 PM
jcp911s
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
There are folks that take cross country trips on bikes, too, with only tank/trunk and saddle bags. But I don't think the majority of baby boomers are in that category. Most like lots of comfort and the amenities of home on their trips.
There are "folks" who run marathons across the desert and eat nothing but cockroaches.

The boxster had the same storage capacity as my C7. The "majority" of [inset some type] don't buy $70K sports cars. "Most" people eat at Cracker Barrel.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:41 PM
jcp911s
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MikeG37
Better have a passenger that's willing to occupy and share that car's only meaningful storage space.
If I has the money to buy a Ford GT, I doubt I'd have a problem finding a passenger willing to share the car's meaningful space.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:59 PM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

Originally Posted by carnutsx2
Part of the advantage is GM can part bin shop to build a car that lays down numbers of cars costing multiple times more. I think there is market share for at least 2 cars , the ME may canabaliz some FE sales but I bet it will pull people from other brands. Why would GM build a car that in the ends sell less cars, if memory serves me correctly they are in the business of making a profit.
There may be a market space for both cars, but not under the Corvette name. Also, Chevy is pulling no significant number of people from exotic brands.

People seem to think that because it is ME, it somehow becomes an exotic. That's simply wrong. At the end of the day, its still gonna be a Corvette, with the engine in a different place

Originally Posted by JoesC5
A Ford GT has never been a car that one uses in any sort of useful capacity. People aren't loading them up and driving them cross country. The Corvette HAS been that car.
Supermassive (01-19-2019)
Old 01-20-2019, 12:46 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

There are "folks" who run marathons across the desert and eat nothing but cockroaches.

The boxster had the same storage capacity as my C7. The "majority" of [inset some type] don't buy $70K sports cars. "Most" people eat at Cracker Barrel.
Why all this negativity on Cracker Barrel Restaurant? Your answer here:_________________

Is this some kind of a "deplorable" restaurant, or the people who you think go there? Your answer here:______________

And are they the "type" of people who don't buy Corvettes? Your answer here:________________

Who is this "majority" you speak of that don't buy $70K sports cars---because frankly, with 35,000 Corvettes sold per year (even if you TRIPLE that number to include all other brands and models) and about 252 million people over the age of 18 you seem to state the obvious, but you must mean something else, right? Your answer here:_____________
Old 01-20-2019, 09:12 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
Why all this negativity on Cracker Barrel Restaurant? Your answer here:_________________

Is this some kind of a "deplorable" restaurant, or the people who you think go there? Your answer here:______________

And are they the "type" of people who don't buy Corvettes? Your answer here:________________

Who is this "majority" you speak of that don't buy $70K sports cars---because frankly, with 35,000 Corvettes sold per year (even if you TRIPLE that number to include all other brands and models) and about 252 million people over the age of 18 you seem to state the obvious, but you must mean something else, right? Your answer here:_____________
Dang Bill, you must eat at Cracker Barrel a lot
vndkshn (01-22-2019)
Old 01-20-2019, 09:17 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by jefnvk
The thing you are missing? The overwhelming majority of buyers couldn't care less where their engine is, so long as the car says CORVETTE. What logic would dictate they would they not understand the performance benefits, but balk at it being ME? I don't doubt there will be a few purists who will boycott it, but they'll be relatively small fish.

I dunno, C3s are still one of only two generations (C7 being the other) that I think look better than my C4. Any non-smog-neutered C3 with the power of my C4 was many times the cost, though, as are the C7s (obviously)
i never said they will boycott it. But I did say that mid engine cars generally give up some daily driver functionality that many Corvette owners value. Despite what a few people said about taking trips in Cayman/Boxters, mid engine cars, especially with big V8s, generally have poor trunk space.

I get that we have not seen the whole car inside and out, so my theory could turn out to be wrong. But that’s all these threads are about anyway....guesses and conspiracy theories.

Last edited by jschindler; 01-20-2019 at 09:17 AM.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:34 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by jschindler

Dang Bill, you must eat at Cracker Barrel a lot
Well, maybe …. Nah, I'd just like to see the answers. Then again, as said before, "we" aren't the majority of annual new Corvette buyers. They will be the true test of an ME.
jschindler (01-20-2019)
Old 01-20-2019, 10:18 AM
jcp911s
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AORoads

A. Ever eat at Cracker Barrel?

B. I never said "deplorable"... you are the one suggesting that patrons are "deplorable" (where did that come from). I have eaten at Cracker Barrel many time, so I have personal experience.

C. US vehicle sale are roughly 17M units a year. 35K divided by 17M is... gees, my economics degree from lowly Penn State prevents me from calculating beyond 3 significant digits, but I doubt the answer is "a majority" buy Corvettes.

D. Some easier math... 17,000,000 minus 35,000 is 16,965,000 (roughly) so whatever "type" you want to name, the probability is they don't buy a Corvette.

E. Extra credit... as a HPDE instructor I see many younger "folks" (you would lump together a "Millenials" or some other stereotype) who drive performance cars and enjoy exploring performance on the track. As they age, and their incomes go up, they may turn onto "old guys" buying Corvettes 20 years from now.

Old 01-20-2019, 10:48 AM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler

i never said they will boycott it. But I did say that mid engine cars generally give up some daily driver functionality that many Corvette owners value. Despite what a few people said about taking trips in Cayman/Boxters, mid engine cars, especially with big V8s, generally have poor trunk space.

I get that we have not seen the whole car inside and out, so my theory could turn out to be wrong. But that’s all these threads are about anyway....guesses and conspiracy theories.
True, but I'd argue that two seat sports cars in general give up a lot of daily driver functionality, that even other performance cars like Camaros and Mustangs do offer. Heck, I could put two bikes in the trunk of that fairly easily, good luck getting one in pretty much any two seat sports car.

I have little doubt that the C8 will be well engineered to keep a similar amount of space as previous gens, but lets not pretend that was a helluva lotta space to begin with.

Get notified of new replies

To C8 may kill Corvette

Old 01-20-2019, 10:51 AM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by marknagy13
Did the c4 Corvette kill it? Nope, and those things are UGGGGGLLLLYYYYY

Not sure where u get your sense of aesthetics.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:20 AM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by Dominic Sorresso

Not sure where u get your sense of aesthetics.

Old 01-20-2019, 12:37 PM
Pigface1
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08

As long as it has cupholders and a spot for 2 sets of golf clubs, it will be an absolute home run. Imagine 750bhp with actual grip below 100mph. The fact that they've made front engine cars that run with mid engine supercars already is incredible. It is absolutely feasible that the ZR1 equivalent, however many years away that is, will legitimately be in hypercar territory.

This is a massive undertaking and 5 years prior to the 09 ZR1 release, people would have said you were off your rocker if you thought GM/Corvette would ever go that far beyond a Z06. Point being, they have a goal in mind and it can only be reached with mid engine.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. But I wouldn't bet on it.
plasboy (01-26-2019)

Quick Reply: C8 may kill Corvette