Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please, Chevrolet....NO Start/Stop Technology on C8

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 09:00 PM
Darion
Safety Car

Received 232 Likes on 142 Posts

Well I took a 19 Equinox as a rental while in Florida, Ill say, I am not a fan. If its in the ME I sure hope it has an off switch.

PC
Old 03-26-2019, 10:43 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,975 Likes on 1,215 Posts

When I test drove a Raptor and stopped at a red light the start/stop feature startled me first. I guess over time I could get used to it. (Didn't buy it, would've preferred a V8 ). If we want to 'save' fuel, why not just synchronize the traffic lights! AI could do wonders to save energy and people's sanity. Have you ever sat at a light for over 2 minutes while there was no cross traffic? If I get a red light at a railroad crossing or a bridge opening at the intracoastal I just shut down my car (which does NOT have the start/stop feature). So, all in all, I'm glad the C7 ZR1 does not have the start/stop feature and AFM. If the C8 will have it, so be it!
Old 03-26-2019, 10:53 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,624 Likes on 6,628 Posts

^^^
Remined of the street lights in NYC, which were synchronized as you traveled North BUT only realized it on a Sunday with little traffic!

Stop/Start will get "even more intrusive," IMO but hopefully will be done well. Once the C8 FWD electric hybrid is introduced the ICE will not only shut off, it won't start until the electric drive brings it to cruising speed! When cruising, that is where a lot of energy is used. When demanding more power both power sources will increase acceleration rates. In that case the small battery will be charged when braking! Of the ~19% of the gasoline energy that gets to the rear wheels ~25% is wasted braking! At least we can recover some of that waste. The reason for Stop/Start is ~11% of the energy in gasoline is wasted idling (on average.) Far better than an EV IMO!

SIDE BAR
Our 2018 BMW X5 SUV performs Stop/Start so well never consider shutting it off! With the radio playing, never know the engine was off and the instant your foot is off the brake the car starts. Never hear the starter motor. Many cars are stopping the engine right after combustion so the retained cylinder pressure helps turn the crack when starting. (Of interest the C7 also retains cylinder pressure when going into V4 mode by carefully shutting the intake and exhaust valves in the right sequence when going into V4 mode!)

The SUV also uses a simple form of braking/coasting energy recovery. It only energizes the alternator when coasting and braking. It has a large AGM battery that is charged only then. There is a gauge that shows when charging occurs. It has a smaller conventional battery as well. Both are used in parallel for the electric steering. Therefore the current required is half that needed in the C7 where for a fast transient maneuver it can exceed 100 amp draw! The high current requirement could contribute to some of the C7 steering failures! Yep "better systems" can be designed!

Pic, Updated with Recent EPA Data

Last edited by JerryU; 03-27-2019 at 07:18 AM.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:12 PM
torquenstein
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by walter raulerson
one way to not engage stop/start is to never stop.
lol!
Old 03-27-2019, 02:09 AM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,975 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
^^^
Remined of the street lights in NYC, which were synchronized as you traveled North BUT only realized it on a Sunday with little traffic!
Haha! I remember when you could travel on 2nd Ave 60-70mph on a lazy Sunday afternoon! Back in the early 70's.
The following users liked this post:
JerryU (03-27-2019)
Old 03-27-2019, 04:23 AM
BIG Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 4,684 Likes on 1,862 Posts

Holy crap. Almost 200 posts and many of them sound like they were written by technophobes. Can’t fight the future. Better dig in your heals now and keep your C7 the rest of your life!
Old 03-27-2019, 07:35 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,624 Likes on 6,628 Posts

^^^
Yep, that's the choice. Accept some differences than what we have been used to or get EVs! With ~14% of the energy in a gallon of gasoline currently getting to propel the car- we can do better. I'd far prefer that to an EV!

The Dems running for President in 2020 have endorsed the "no fossil fuel" approach. I'd prefer efficiency improvements, like Stop/Start, short duration, light weight Hybrids, using some of the 33% wasted energy going out the exhaust to power a turbo and separate cams for the intake and exhaust valves to optimize mpg at low rpm and power at higher rpm (can't optimize that with one cam operating both.)

At 76 I can accept change but want a say it what it is! I know what will happen if the extremist get their way. Many "average citizen" will just look around and say "What Happened" when gasoline taxes get like Europe at ~$10/gallon to drive out fuel burring cars and partly pay for their extreme agenda!

Yep there are ways to pay for a portion of the cost of the craziness, like $10 gasoline tax and a 25% Value Added Tax (read as somewhat masked Federal sales tax) like Europe!

Last edited by JerryU; 03-27-2019 at 07:46 AM.
Old 03-27-2019, 07:58 AM
GM5778
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 16 Posts

I live in London and every vehicle has S/S and I have it on my Traverse back in the US. I hate it no doubt but you're right there is no getting away from it and other advancing technology. I think we are missing something here though. It's depreciation. We all know the crushing depreciation of MB AMG cars and those are some of the best vehicles built of their day. They are loaded with tech that no one wants to deal with and the C8 will be an order of magnitude further in tech. So, how do you think the C8 is going to fair with it's first gen DCT, added S/S and whatever other tech is added?! My guess is, not well. I'll buy a C8 for sure and I'm looking forward to trying all the new tech. But, I will definitely wait for one of you to buy it, put 10k miles on it in 3 years and sell it for 40% of original purchase price. I'll drive it for the last 2 years of the warranty and sell it to someone for hopefully 25-30% of the original value. C8 will be a great car, but it will never appreciate in value and will be virtually worthless in 10 years. Going to be waaaaay worse than current AMG cars.
Old 04-07-2019, 09:24 AM
auburn2
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts

I think it will have it. Hopefully you will be able to turn it off. Best case you will be able to turn it off once and it will remember even if you turn off the car. I wouldn't hold my breath for that thopughb

On another note, with the DTC I think it might get difficult to bypass CAGS.
Old 04-07-2019, 09:50 AM
Harry2
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 403 Likes on 222 Posts

I have it on my '16 CTS and hate it, I do have a switch to turn it off but have to remember to do so after each time you start the car.
I had a loaner XT5 that did not have the "off" switch and it brought back bad memories of my long ago cars that used to kill at stop signs and red lights! If they have to have it on the C8 I hope it has a "off" switch!

The CTS switch is the third button down on the left
Old 04-07-2019, 04:01 PM
msm859
Melting Slicks

Received 997 Likes on 575 Posts

I had it on a recent trip to Hawaii in a rental car - GM Acadia. I don't understand what the issue is. Who cares if the engine is "on" when you are not moving? When the light was too long the engine would kick back on - not sure if it ever stayed off for more then a minute. Did not effect anything. Kind of like all the complaining about CAGS. Have had that on every Corvette since 2001 - again a non issue. You have "control" of if by the way you drive. On the rare occasion it would actually kick in I would usually just shift back into third gear. Small "price" to pay for better gas mileage and buying less oil from the Middle East.
Old 04-07-2019, 05:19 PM
AVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 689 Likes on 275 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Hate it

Hate stop start

Quick Reply: Please, Chevrolet....NO Start/Stop Technology on C8