Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette C8 vs. Tesla Roadster?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 01:11 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrisrokc
Neither will any petrol fueled sports car. Your point?
Pure cave man mentality. Highly resistant to change and in denial of technology and its effects on the products we use and enjoy. Electric cars are here whether guys like you have issues with change or not. The world changes without your approval. EVs have increasing ranges of operation as the technology evolves. The current ranges will increase and likely at an exponential rate as they currently are. Amazing how some goons are in denial. Stay in your cave where you are comfortable. Don't feel bad Man, there are still people out there using their mechanical Royal typewriters with carbon paper waiting for the PC fad to pass.
Old 02-23-2019, 01:42 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Actually only people interested in drag racing pay all that much attention to the 0-60 or 1/4 mile times as they are worthless when it comes to knowing how well a car will perform in the real world environment where it spends more time cornering, slowing and accelerating off a corner than accelerating from a stop. One of the key things missing from those acceleration times is how many times in a row they can do that without having a cool down period between runs.

A Model S might be able to get 330 miles on a single charge on the highway but when you start pushing the go pedal more that really drives up current usage and just like any other vehicle powered by any source higher performance drops traveling distance. The problem with any electric vehicle when running at max power is how long it can do that compared to a gas powered vehicle especially with the weight penalty the battery brings with it. On the Model S that is 1200 pounds. Tesla owners running at max power are seeing a 3 mile drop in range for every mile driven when running flat out and are seeing a max of 3 minutes of flat out operation before the system goes into battery protection mode and slows the car. Even a C7 Z06 A8 does better than that. The electric vehicle may be simpler and more efficient due to its electric motor but the battery is the weak link at this time and for the foreseeable future.

Bill

Bill

Bill
I agree.. This caveman hasn't done any drag racing on a public street where I start from a dead stop, in 50 years.

Now, when I go WOT on a public highway is when I come upon a slow car driving 50 MPH in a 60 MPH zone on a two lane highway with few passing zones, so acceleration from 50 MPH to 75-80 MPH is what this old fart does, even today, at 76.

In my supercharged Mercedes 4 door sedan, I just push the accelerator to the floor, it automatically downshifts and the car's computer see's that Ole Joe wants maximum horsepower NOW, so it sends a signal to the supercharger's clutch to engage, and the rotors start spinning and the bypass valve closes. Thus I now have boost when I need it.

On my C6 Z06, I downshift to second gear, and my RPM's are at 4,500 at 470 lb-ft of torque and at 440HP when I go WOT to pass a slowpoke. As I accelerate to 75-80 mph my horsepower has risen to 505+.

If anyone has driven a C6 Z06, they know what happens between 4,500 RPM and 6,500 RPM(7,000 RPM rev limit is at 90 MPH in second gear). The car pulls HARD at those RPM's in second gear.

That is real world, every day driving, Not acting like a immature kid doing 0-75/80 MPH pulls on a 45 MPH city street with a Tesla P1000 or with a 3P.

Oh, and my ICE cars generate the same torque and horsepower if I have a full tank of gas or 1/8th tank of gas. Range is shortened slightly while I'm doing a WOT 50 to 80 MPH passing a slow poke.

While I have driven hard on a track(and getting 4 MPG), I now only go WOT when driving conditions are safe on the street when passing a slow car.

Last edited by JoesC5; 02-23-2019 at 01:49 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JoesC5:
Rodbuster56 (02-24-2019), Shaka (02-24-2019)
Old 02-23-2019, 01:54 PM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Received 1,039 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
The roar of a V8.
The snort of a stallion. Oh wait, wrong century.
Old 02-23-2019, 04:27 PM
flyingbunnys
Le Mans Master

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts

When did Corvette forum get over run with condescending EV bullies trolling everyone?
Old 02-23-2019, 06:27 PM
jivor
Pro

Received 224 Likes on 141 Posts

Personally, I don't have the 200-250K to drop on a car, a Roadster or otherwise, I do however have enough for a 75K mid-engine Corvette, so I'm going with that.
The following 2 users liked this post by jivor:
JerriVette (02-24-2019), vrybad (02-24-2019)
Old 02-23-2019, 11:00 PM
UncleFodder
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Lots of talk about performance, but not much mentioned on how truly ugly the 3 is. I live in the middle of Tesla country and see them everywhere here in the Bay Area. Every time I spot one, I have to shake my head at its bulbous tick profile. The S is much more asthetically pleasing but until they make a vert, I'm out.
Old 02-24-2019, 12:09 AM
flyingbunnys
Le Mans Master

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
It's only Punky....he's got all the forward thinking answers....except what new battery pack is going to provide the 600 mile range, and how are we going cool it so it can do more than ONE banzai run before overheating, etc....
But, I'm dead wrong
What a putz.

PS. So Punky, do you actually own a Volt/Tesla/Leaf/Kona or are you just another troller?
And since this IS Corvette Forum, do you own a Corvette?
I'm thinking you own a Kia, but not a Kona.
I looked back at the older post Punky is the guy who rode in one for 15 minutes and has lots of friends who love them.

As for EV being the way of the future, I just don't know if I knew the future I'd be rich like Warren Buffet. If I were as sure a punky I'd drop my life savings into Tesla.

I just can't help to think that there might be an slight chance that as EVs get better so might the ICE from the competition. I mean look at the jump in power and milage just since year 2005. I can't help but to wonder if we will see hybrid type systems with high boosted 1L engines that make 200 HP that get close to 100 mpg. Or there might be a new tech we don't even know about yet that burns carbon dioxide strait from the air itself no fuel no charging.

Also for that matter I just don't know if it will be Tesla that brings us the EV of the future. Could end up being gm, Nissian, or Toyota. All make some nice EVs. Cheaper than the Teslas as well.
Old 02-24-2019, 09:08 AM
Demnos
Racer

Received 200 Likes on 113 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19

Feels like EV is a stop gap measure until scientists can figure out the next great fuel source. What EV buys us is time to allow oil to last longer (through use of hybrid tech). There is a ton of potential with EV which is exciting. However, pushing us to all electric tech seems short sighted when chances are that the rare earth minerals required to make batteries would run out before oil (given scaling to millions of cars). Figuring out electric storage without those minerals will be the key. It will hopefully be an exciting couple of decades
The following 2 users liked this post by Demnos:
Michael A (02-24-2019), vndkshn (02-25-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 09:25 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by flyingbunnys
I looked back at the older post Punky is the guy who rode in one for 15 minutes and has lots of friends who love them.

As for EV being the way of the future, I just don't know if I knew the future I'd be rich like Warren Buffet. If I were as sure a punky I'd drop my life savings into Tesla.

I just can't help to think that there might be an slight chance that as EVs get better so might the ICE from the competition. I mean look at the jump in power and milage just since year 2005. I can't help but to wonder if we will see hybrid type systems with high boosted 1L engines that make 200 HP that get close to 100 mpg. Or there might be a new tech we don't even know about yet that burns carbon dioxide strait from the air itself no fuel no charging.

Also for that matter I just don't know if it will be Tesla that brings us the EV of the future. Could end up being gm, Nissian, or Toyota. All make some nice EVs. Cheaper than the Teslas as well.

Bet you a million that Warren Buffet has sold more ICE vehicles in his Springfield, Missouri auto dealerships(6 or 7 of them, I believe) last year than Elon has sold Teslas in Springfield, Missouri in the past 10 years.

I see that the new Toyota Avalon hybrid gets 43 MPG in the city and 43 MPG on the highway, and WAY cheaper to buy at $36,500, than what a Model S cost.

Last edited by JoesC5; 02-24-2019 at 11:40 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Rodbuster56 (02-24-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 09:28 AM
Dethsupp0rt
Racer

Received 258 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Demnos
Feels like EV is a stop gap measure until scientists can figure out the next great fuel source. What EV buys us is time to allow oil to last longer (through use of hybrid tech). There is a ton of potential with EV which is exciting. However, pushing us to all electric tech seems short sighted when chances are that the rare earth minerals required to make batteries would run out before oil (given scaling to millions of cars). Figuring out electric storage without those minerals will be the key. It will hopefully be an exciting couple of decades
Not so much figuring it out without those minerals, but figuring out how to recycle those minerals effectively is where the next big thing is. I'd suggest a hard look there for the next big investment opportunity (to afford this $169,000 'vette, hah!)

As others have said (less eloquently), EV is the future, so enjoy what you have now while you can. Our fathers and grandfathers couldn't imagine we'd be sitting in front of screens arguing with people thousands of miles away either . . . yet here we are.
Old 02-24-2019, 09:30 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Demnos
60% of the available cobalt comes form the Congo. Price has quadrupled and the Congo is installing new taxes and royalties on their Cobalt. The more the world depends on their cobalt, the more they will charge for it.

We can get friendly oil from many friendly countries, but not so with cobalt.
Old 02-24-2019, 02:06 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,076 Likes on 6,173 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Bet you a million that Warren Buffet has sold more ICE vehicles in his Springfield, Missouri auto dealerships(6 or 7 of them, I believe) last year than Elon has sold Teslas in Springfield, Missouri in the past 10 years.....
Berkshire Hathaway owns 85 dealerships and 100 automotive franchises in 10 states (Arizona, California, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Missouri, Nebraska, New Mexico and Texas).
Old 02-24-2019, 02:25 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
Berkshire Hathaway owns 85 dealerships and 100 automotive franchises in 10 states (Arizona, California, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Missouri, Nebraska, New Mexico and Texas).
I know. The 6 or 7 dealerships I referenced was for his dealerships located only in Springfield, Missouri, not nationwide.

Warren Buffet's dealerships in Springfield, Missouri sells Chevrolet, Mercedes, Infinity, Toyota, Lexus. BMW, Audi, Hyundai, Mazda, Subaru, Scion, plus RVs(motorhomes etc).

Tesla doesn't have a single dealership in Springfield, Missouri.

Last edited by JoesC5; 02-24-2019 at 02:32 PM.
Old 02-24-2019, 02:32 PM
DanWS6
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts

I plan on owning both.
Old 02-24-2019, 06:44 PM
Chrisrokc
Drifting

Received 170 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I know. The 6 or 7 dealerships I referenced was for his dealerships located only in Springfield, Missouri, not nationwide.

Warren Buffet's dealerships in Springfield, Missouri sells Chevrolet, Mercedes, Infinity, Toyota, Lexus. BMW, Audi, Hyundai, Mazda, Subaru, Scion, plus RVs(motorhomes etc).

Tesla doesn't have a single dealership in Springfield, Missouri.
There isn't such thing FYI.

There are store fronts and service centers. Tesla is against the dealership model, which I happen to agree with. Dealerships in Oklahoma have gone down hill for the most part. The purchase experience is horrible. Staff tries to sell you something for way more than it is worth while they act like experts on the product.

I wish that Chevrolet would let me buy this C8 over the internet like I bought the Tesla. Deliver it to the house or let me do museum pickup. Let me avoid the horrible dealership experience.
Old 02-24-2019, 09:14 PM
Red67John
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 195 Posts

Not sure where the whole EV thing is going, but 60 Minutes did a piece tonight on the Chinese EV industry, with a focus on NIO. This company is poised to make Tesla look bad. They are even traded on the NYSE. Here’s is link to a pretty sweet EV roadster of theirs. https://www.nio.io/ep9
Old 02-24-2019, 10:14 PM
Dethsupp0rt
Racer

Received 258 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Red67John
Not sure where the whole EV thing is going, but 60 Minutes did a piece tonight on the Chinese EV industry, with a focus on NIO. This company is poised to make Tesla look bad. They are even traded on the NYSE. Here’s is link to a pretty sweet EV roadster of theirs. https://www.nio.io/ep9
Yep. That thing is no joke.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette C8 vs. Tesla Roadster?!

Old 02-24-2019, 10:27 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Received 869 Likes on 540 Posts

Corvette will have to go all electric if it wants to sell in China. There are huge subsidies for electrics there and lots of charging stations.
China is the biggest auto market in the world.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:38 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by PCMIII
Corvette will have to go all electric if it wants to sell in China. There are huge subsidies for electrics there and lots of charging stations.
China is the biggest auto market in the world.
China (Asia) is Ferrari's 2nd largest market....how many electric cars do they make?
Old 02-24-2019, 10:44 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by Red67John
It's a $1.2Million car and they're going to make 6 (SIX) of them.

Quick Reply: Corvette C8 vs. Tesla Roadster?!