Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why the Mid-Engine Corvette Will Devour the 911

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 08:08 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by nunii
lmao I had c7 z06 a 570s and 2019 gt3rs ...... and in terms of pure enjoyment of driving there is no coming close to the Porsche .... in fact with only 520 hp and 330 pounds of torque I would beat the z06 in 1/4 and 0-60 .... idk how but it feels much faster then my z!
Amen brother! The 911 is something you have to experience to truly appreciate......and needless to say, you have had the opportunity to experience a level of cars that the majority can only dream about. Be warned, you’re only minutes away from being told by a couple of wannabes how it really is��. The funny part is the head cheerleader is a C6 owner��

Last edited by Dr. ice; 03-13-2019 at 08:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ByByBMW (03-14-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 08:59 PM
nunii
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. ice
No personal investment what so ever......I know I am correct and don’t require any validation. It’s clear you don’t know what you talk about.....however, you always have a way of bringing humor to my day.

Cheers C6 Man!
Unfortunately you are wasting your time and most people on the Corvette forms are going to side with C6 man for the simple fact that they have never drove a high-end exotic sports car,and I have to admit I was one of those people before I could afford my Porsche/McLaren!
.... the first time I test drove the McLaren I understood exactly why they charge almost double for there car!
i just traded my 570s for 2019 gt3rs and I was skeptical at first but omg this is the greatest car ever made from the engine which is a masterpiece And the transmission this car has it all!

before I knew better I thought who ever bought those expensive cars were idiots and I owned a better car at a fraction of the cost! Hahahaha I was wrong.
Actually hoping the c8 is better then the Porsche so I could save lot of money fingers crossed!
The following 3 users liked this post by nunii:
BEAR-AvHistory (03-13-2019), ByByBMW (03-14-2019), Dr. ice (03-13-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 09:24 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by nunii
Unfortunately you are wasting your time and most people on the Corvette forms are going to side with C6 man for the simple fact that they have never drove a high-end exotic sports car,and I have to admit I was one of those people before I could afford my Porsche/McLaren!
.... the first time I test drove the McLaren I understood exactly why they charge almost double for there car!
i just traded my 570s for 2019 gt3rs and I was skeptical at first but omg this is the greatest car ever made from the engine which is a masterpiece And the transmission this car has it all!

before I knew better I thought who ever bought those expensive cars were idiots and I owned a better car at a fraction of the cost! Hahahaha I was wrong.
Actually hoping the c8 is better then the Porsche so I could save lot of money fingers crossed!
I just wish the Porsche Gt3RS depreciated as fast as a Corvette.....then I could pick up a lightly used 3 years old car��. Until then, I am happy to be in the $150,000 bottom feeder price point crowd. Those cars keep their money better than gold! Truly amazing car and I am happy you are able to enjoy one of your own!

Last edited by Dr. ice; 03-13-2019 at 09:29 PM.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:31 PM
Ghostnotes
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

For crying out loud just get together and play follow the leader.

Settle it that way and make no excuses for driver ability/mods.

Car and driver lost their credibility years ago or ever since Angus stepped down. Now they are just cooperate ******. One issue and it's WOW THIS THING IS GREAT SOOOOO WONDERFUL. 3 issues later and it's soooo bland and handeling is dull...so please.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:57 PM
David Robert
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been a step ahead in street performance for a long time. Really old news. Time to move on and find another boogie-boo car.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:09 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Amen brother! The 911 is something you have to experience to truly appreciate......and needless to say, you have had the opportunity to experience a level of cars that the majority can only dream about. Be warned, you’re only minutes away from being told by a couple of wannabes how it really is��. The funny part is the head cheerleader is a C6 owner��
Amen indeed. Do you realize that your 2 year old, 3 second, 911 S has likely depreciated $50,000 from it original sticker. Wholesale on it is in the 80s whether you believe so or not. Don't confuse your pedestrian level 911 with your "Brothers" GT3RS. The GT3 is a race car and holds it value extremely well while yours is a poser Porsche for Country Club boys seeking validation with brand name association as the cars value drops like rock. Your used '17 will have a trade in value that starts with a 6 when the C8 is available. Like I told you before Pal, been there and done it long before you and it ain't pretty.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:01 AM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by punky
Amen indeed. Do you realize that your 2 year old, 3 second, 911 S has likely depreciated $50,000 from it original sticker. Wholesale on it is in the 80s whether you believe so or not. Don't confuse your pedestrian level 911 with your "Brothers" GT3RS. The GT3 is a race car and holds it value extremely well while yours is a poser Porsche for Country Club boys seeking validation with brand name association as the cars value drops like rock. Your used '17 will have a trade in value that starts with a 6 when the C8 is available. Like I told you before Pal, been there and done it long before you and it ain't pretty.
Nah......your thinking Corvettes again. My 17 had a $125k MSRP and will bring in the 100k-105k range at current time. I will agree it’s no GT car but it will do far better in holding its value than a Corvette. I just sold my C7 I had bought new with employee pricing and I couldn’t give it away. Chevy make way too many of them to hold value. They could take a lesson or two from Porsche. Obviously, you don’t get outside the realm of what you own.....but why should you, you own the best.....right😏
Old 03-15-2019, 01:08 AM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Hilarious.....by the time they get the C8 out I will be too damn old to care what my Porsche is worth....but I can see why you feel the Corvette has no peers.
Old 03-15-2019, 04:14 AM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Doctor Ice,

Thank you for your 3.1 & resale value 911 sales pitches and for constantly reminding me that after all I am actually in a good place and drive a good product.

It's the start of driving season and who knows... buying season as well so I am off to more important things..

Good luck!

Cheers
Old 03-15-2019, 05:23 AM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

I'm just gonna leave this here:

Old 03-15-2019, 09:05 AM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by telepierre
doctor ice,

thank you for your 3.1 & resale value 911 sales pitches and for constantly reminding me that after all i am actually in a good place and drive a good product.

It's the start of driving season and who knows... Buying season as well so i am off to more important things..

Good luck!

Cheers
lol!
Old 03-15-2019, 09:11 AM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by ArmchairArchitect
I'm just gonna leave this here:

https://youtu.be/O_HyXLsdOw0
I could go into the C6 Z06 forum and cherry pick hundreds of posts and pics and videos of the numerous valve guide failures leading to either the complete destruction of the LS7 engine, or thousands of dollars spent to keep the engine from grenading. Your post doesn't prove anything more than my posting of the Z06 issues would.

No manufacturer builds a flawless car.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:29 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by ByByBMW
I could go into the C6 Z06 forum and cherry pick hundreds of posts and pics and videos of the numerous valve guide failures leading to either the complete destruction of the LS7 engine, or thousands of dollars spent to keep the engine from grenading. Your post doesn't prove anything more than my posting of the Z06 issues would.

No manufacturer builds a flawless car.
OMG, don't tell Dr. Ice that. He got himself into a used 911 and has a Deity in his garage. Wait till his dream car starts to pop those 1/4 pint sized turbos doing the 3.1 second 0-60 runs that he raves about. Hope the Dr's check book is well stocked when his new found status symbol and avenue of self validation goes off warranty. I've been there and it can be painful. The "Dr." has it all figured out as most used Porsche buyer newbies do. He will learn what he is obviously ignorant of at this point.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:51 AM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

[QUOTE=punky;1599048798]OMG, don't tell Dr. Ice that. He got himself into a used 911 and has a Deity in his garage. Wait till his dream car starts to pop those 1/4 pint sized turbos doing the 3.1 second 0-60 runs that he raves about. Hope the Dr's check book is well stocked when his new found status symbol and avenue of self validation goes off warranty. I've been there and it can be painful. The "Dr." has it all figured out as most used Porsche buyer newbies do. He will learn what he is obviously ignorant of at this point.[/QUOTE

Punky.....your getting flustered to the point you’re into the personal attack mode. For the record, I am no newbie with cars I won’t own after the warranty expires due to the higher costs of maintenance. Those also include the many BMWs and Mercedes I have owned. This Porsche is no different as I will either order a new 992 or C8 if they can ever get it fit for production. But I will say, buying a new C8 is starting to scare the hell out of me with all the issues GM is having with it. You simply didn’t have those issues with introduction of the new 992. For all on this forum that say you should never buy a first year car, it will be a textbook response to the new C8...... unless you live under a rock and don’t study the car you wish to purchase.
ByByBMW (03-15-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 10:02 AM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

OMG, don't tell Dr. Ice that. He got himself into a used 911 and has a Deity in his garage. Wait till his dream car starts to pop those 1/4 pint sized turbos doing the 3.1 second 0-60 runs that he raves about. Hope the Dr's check book is well stocked when his new found status symbol and avenue of self validation goes off warranty. I've been there and it can be painful. The "Dr." has it all figured out as most used Porsche buyer newbies do. He will learn what he is obviously ignorant of at this point.[/QUOTE

Punky.....your getting flustered to the point you’re into the personal attack mode. For the record, I am no newbie with cars I won’t own after the warranty expires due to the higher costs of maintenance. Those also include the many BMWs and Mercedes I have owned. This Porsche is no different as I will either order a new 992 or C8 if they can ever get it fit for production. But I will say, buying a new C8 is starting to scare the hell out of me with all the issues GM is having with it. You simply didn’t have those issues with introduction of the new 992. For all on this forum that say you should never buy a first year car, it will be a textbook response to the new C8...... unless you live under a rock and don’t study the car you wish to purchase.
I agree 100%. I was looking forward to the new ME and was hoping to be able to buy one. Now I am looking forward to NOT buying one for at LEAST 3 years after the release, if that happens. I don't remember the C6 or C7 pre-release info as being this worrying and both those gens had plenty of problems that popped up after release.
I am to old to live through all the hassles that are likely with this new, completely redesigned model.

Last edited by ByByBMW; 03-15-2019 at 10:03 AM.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:06 AM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

I agree 100%. I was looking forward to the new ME and was hoping to be able to buy one. Now I am looking forward to NOT buying one for at LEAST 3 years after the release, if that happens. I don't remember the C6 or C7 pre-release info as being this worrying and both those gens had plenty of problems that popped up after release.
I am to old to live through all the hassles that are likely with this new, completely redesigned model.
Can't speak to the C6 but the C7 had no such issues in advance of production. Perhaps the FE to ME design has created the issue. But it appears GM is maybe trying to push it into production before it’s really ready.

Last edited by Dr. ice; 03-15-2019 at 10:55 AM.
ByByBMW (03-15-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 10:59 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Can't speak to the C6 but the C7 had no such issues in advance of production. Perhaps the FE to ME design has created the issue. But it appears GM is maybe trying to push it into production before it’s really ready.
You post here with great regularity but every one of your posts is Pro Porsche and anti Corvette. Why is that? Porsche experience less than what your car magazines led you to expect? Buyers remorse? Entertaining for sure.
ArmchairArchitect (03-19-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Why the Mid-Engine Corvette Will Devour the 911

Old 03-15-2019, 11:15 AM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

You post here with great regularity but every one of your posts is Pro Porsche and anti Corvette. Why is that? Porsche experience less than what your car magazines led you to expect? Buyers remorse? Entertaining for sure.
This post is why you have lost any credibility with me. Many of his posts are pro Corvette AND Porsche. Your posts are closed minded and any mention of another cars attributes being the slightest bit better than a Corvette are met with derision. Keep it up though, as mentioned you are "entertaining".
The following 2 users liked this post by ByByBMW:
BEAR-AvHistory (03-15-2019), Dr. ice (03-18-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 11:26 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

This post is why you have lost any credibility with me. Many of his posts are pro Corvette AND Porsche. Your posts are closed minded and any mention of another cars attributes being the slightest bit better than a Corvette are met with derision. Keep it up though, as mentioned you are "entertaining".
I don't read everyone of the Dr's posts, possibly you do and have a more "credible" appraisal of his bias. I personally can't remember one where the "Dr" was not worshipping Porsche and trolling on Corvette.
ArmchairArchitect (03-19-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 02:47 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

I don't read everyone of the Dr's posts, possibly you do and have a more "credible" appraisal of his bias. I personally can't remember one where the "Dr" was not worshipping Porsche and trolling on Corvette.
Noted.
Let me give you my interpretation of his comments. He has, like myself, has owned and driven both. And, like me, he is hoping that GM will bring out a ME corvette. The reasons are probably similar but in this case I really only speak for myself.

I have owned and loved 4 vettes. A 2005 C6 which was my first vette. Then a 2008 Z51 Auto and shortly after that traded the 05 and the Z51 on a 2008 Z06. The Z06 I owned for 4 years and loved the most. I described driving the Z06 as brutal but using brutal in a good way, seemingly unlimited torque, HP and just the right amount of noise after putting Corsa sports on her. But over time, I came to realize that the Z was just not as enjoyable on the street as I thought it would be. Many times I commented that I had to drive her like a had a raw egg under my right foot. There was just SOOOOOO much power available and the Goodyear runcraps were no match for the power. Then the bad valve/guide issue came along. The valve guide issue was going to cost me an extra 3,000-4,000 dollars to fix and it just wasn't in the cards. That with a significant change in personal happenings came along and I had to sell her.
Got here and after 8 months knew I needed a play car. While out running errands the wife saw the Porsche dealership and said I should stop and see what was so special about Porsche.
Long story very condensed, I got through a test drive with EYES WIDE OPEN! Fit, finish, surgical precision while driving, the sublime and perfect DCT and enough power to enjoy with worrying about roasting the tires. This was the car I wished for even while enjoying the Z. So I bought it. But still liked Corvette so bought a 2012 GS vert. which I still own and enjoy. If I had to sell one for whatever reason, I would have to think VERY long and VERY hard about which one I would keep. Which one do I drive the most? The Porsche because it brings a bigger smile to my face every time I drive it, six years after the fact.
I think what I get tired of is the Corvette humpers (which I also claim to be) don't see the forest for the trees. Corvettes are great, as are Porsches, Ford GT's, Lambos, Ferrari, etc. Keep cost out of the discussion and we could talk for years about which is best. It always makes me laugh because the Vette folks always have to qualify their choice of Vettes as "best bang for the buck". Not "best bang" standing alone.

So when somebody discounts Porsche because of cost, or whatever, I know it's because for the most part, they haven't owned one they loved and if they did own one and hated it, then it was because they had a bad one. It happens. I have known some folks who gave up on Corvettes because they had bad experiences. Just as how you seem to have had a bad experience with Porsche. If it was an older car, say pre 2009 or so I would recommend driving one of the newer cars. It is absolutely amazing what Porsche engineers have been able to wring out of 911's, but especially the ME cars like the Boxster and the Cayman. FYI my Porsche is a 2013 Boxster S. Has been perfect other than a pinhole leak in one of the mufflers. Took maybe 15 minutes and $30 to fix that.

Sorry for being so long winded but your response was honest and deserved a response.
Dr. ice (03-18-2019)

Quick Reply: Why the Mid-Engine Corvette Will Devour the 911