Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The list and how it works! Doesn't matter if your #1!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 09:53 AM
harley2
Melting Slicks

Received 1,339 Likes on 590 Posts

Default The list and how it works! Doesn't matter if your #1!

I've ordered a few vettes and picked up at BG!

I've ordered thru MacMulkin, 2nd largest Vette seller!

I have been in the top 5 on his "list"! I am currently on his list.

Ok, so when MacMulkin received their allocations, I ordered immediately!

There were No restraints on my 2015 Z06 (same for my 2014 Sray)!

I was in the top 5!

Others ordered car weeks after I did and they received their car way before me!

It's not super important were you're positioned on the List.

Once dealer places your order it is out of their hands!

It is controlled by Production control and how they plan the sequence of the builds!

So, you maybe #1 but you may get your car, later then # 25 or whatever on the list!

After having been thru this a few times, now I'm relaxed and patiently waiting to see the car, price and options!

Most importantly get with dealer that will get the early allocations!

Dealing with MacMulkin, they take a flat 2k deposit, no other funds till car is ready for delivery!

They also have no Doc fees.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 03-11-2019 at 01:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ShagVette (03-09-2019)
Old 03-09-2019, 12:05 PM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

Received 794 Likes on 307 Posts

Yeah I don't really see the need to be first in line for a car that is not limited production. Personally I'll likely be in the following year camp waiting for the hi-po version. I will also wait to find a dealer that will accept supplier pricing because I simply refuse to pay MSRP.
The following users liked this post:
BEAR-AvHistory (03-09-2019)
Old 03-09-2019, 01:37 PM
Psalmon123
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 44 Posts

I agree. I ordered my '15 Z06 thru Kerbec. Once they accept the order, they build the car on their schedule, not yours.
Old 03-09-2019, 01:40 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,001 Likes on 2,888 Posts

OP,
You're absolutely correct regards time to production runs because of how one configures their Corvette.

..What you don't know is if MacMulkin is ordering Corvettes for stock, before your order is even entered in the GM computer system. While you're deciding how you want your Corvette configured, believe you me the dealership is frantically off to the races entering possibly dozens of units in the computer before yours.

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 03-09-2019 at 01:41 PM.
Old 03-09-2019, 02:03 PM
dreamr616
Drifting

Received 632 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
OP,
You're absolutely correct regards time to production runs because of how one configures their Corvette.

..What you don't know is if MacMulkin is ordering Corvettes for stock, before your order is even entered in the GM computer system. While you're deciding how you want your Corvette configured, believe you me the dealership is frantically off to the races entering possibly dozens of units in the computer before yours.

Old 03-09-2019, 02:28 PM
harley2
Melting Slicks

Received 1,339 Likes on 590 Posts

OP,

Not here to debate but that is not true.
Of course they are going to take care of themselves! But you get order number and can follow progress as is goes up the chain.
They love getting orders like mine and others that do Museum pickup! They never have to touch the car!

Plus most of us will have all options selected before the allocations are even released to the dealership!
Old 03-09-2019, 07:17 PM
OH THREE Z
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 280 Posts
2018 C4 of Year Finalist

some of this is right... if you are on the list of a high volume dealer being first or high on a list is irrelevant. if you are #1 and order a red car and im number 5 and order black its totally dependent on where your order is placed by GM.... if they need a black car to fill out a batch guess whos car will be picked up first...

if you are on a list from a small volume dealer your placement on a list is much more important. I was number 1 on the list for my C7Z from a local dealer that sold 15 vettes in 2014. he had 2 Z06 allocations. my order got picked up in the second ordering consensus (sept '14) and was one of the first cars delivered in the entire country. the second guy on the list didnt get picked up until the spring of 15... being first on my list definitely mattered.
Old 03-09-2019, 08:41 PM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

Maybe I'm just not informed enough about how these things work, but if I've got definite buyers lined up, why would I prefer to just order randomly for inventory hoping I find a buyer, instead of going with the known sale?
Old 03-09-2019, 08:55 PM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

Received 794 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by jefnvk
Maybe I'm just not informed enough about how these things work, but if I've got definite buyers lined up, why would I prefer to just order randomly for inventory hoping I find a buyer, instead of going with the known sale?
Simple, having dealer stock drives up foot traffic into the dealership to see the new "hotness". These large volume Corvette dealers bet on the hype of the new Corvettes at launch to generate conquest sales from buyers that might not have considered a Corvette before seeing it in the flesh. Pre-sold to individual buyer cars don't sit on lots very long and only generate the one sale. Having cars on the lot means people come in to see what the new car looks like, and may end up buying some other car just because they are on the lot.

Corvettes on a dealer lot function like giant billboards, its why you see dealers option out low spec cars in all of the bright colors...its to attract the eyes of passing "potential buyers". Some smaller dealers don't even make their Corvette allocation available for sale specifically because having one on the lot might pull in would be buyers.

This is why I just don't buy into the allocation lines at launch, you get locked into a sale before you even have a chance to drive the car or see the options in person. As someone who can swing one expensive toy every once in a while, I need to make sure what I order is going to look exactly how I want it. A good example for me was looking at how bland the Sebring Orange color looked on the configurator, and then seeing it in the flesh. I would have never ordered a car in SO based on online pictures and the configurator, but now I pray that the C8 will offer it when I am ready to order.
Old 03-09-2019, 10:03 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,001 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by harley2
Not here to debate but that is not true.
Of course they are going to take care of themselves! But you get order number and can follow progress as is goes up the chain.
They love getting orders like mine and others that do Museum pickup! They never have to touch the car!

Plus most of us will have all options selected before the allocations are even released to the dealership!
You can prove that? I doubt it. While you're analyzing price, etc. MacMulkin or ANY Chev. dealer is NOT going to wait to maybe or maybe not hear back from you. You're detached from reality if you think that you're really first. NFW.

Originally Posted by jefnvk
Really?!

..Because while you're just sitting around waiting for customer X to finalize his decisions/order, you're losing ground to the clock. Every Chev. dealer in the Country is ordering new C8s. You're just sitting there twiddling your thumbs. #LOL!

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 03-11-2019 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-Please use the Multi Quote button (middle button, lower right hand corner) to respond to multiple people with one response.
Old 03-09-2019, 10:54 PM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 960 Likes on 572 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

The LIST thing is a joke. Means NOTHING!
Old 03-09-2019, 11:01 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

yeah, the list has never meant anything

Get notified of new replies

To The list and how it works! Doesn't matter if your #1!

Quick Reply: The list and how it works! Doesn't matter if your #1!