Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mid-Engine Corvette: Everything We Know

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 09:02 AM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 400 Posts
Default Mid-Engine Corvette: Everything We Know

An awful lot of speculation.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...e-2018-rumors/
The following 3 users liked this post by Mcrider:
PurpleLion (03-12-2019), roadbike56 (03-12-2019), ShagVette (03-12-2019)
Old 03-12-2019, 09:40 AM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

Thanks for posting.
I counted 3 "It Might", 2 "It Could" and one "Possibility" in the subtitles. Apparently we know more here on CF than Road & Track does. Not surprising.
We know that the C7 panel manufacturer was told to be ready to produce panels for a new car (aka, the C8) in calendar year 2019. That supports an intended 2020 model year car. (Source Legal documents filed by the panel manufacturer to expand their plant)
We know the price will be under $100,000. Source Andy Pilgrim.
We know GM has filed to trademark "Zora" twice.
We know the model name "Stingray" appeared on a leaked interior photo.
We know that the for model year 2020, Corvette launch date is listed as "TBD". Source, GM document posted on this forum.
I know there was a engine forecast listed some time ago that provided additional information, but I can't remember what was on it. Maybe someone can add it.
There's other information that others have of what we absolutely know, not speculation.
The following users liked this post:
RapidC84B (03-12-2019)
Old 03-12-2019, 10:33 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,165 Likes on 5,989 Posts

Good stuff.
Old 03-12-2019, 01:43 PM
Oldguychuck
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I read today in an article from Hagerty on the C8 delay that the C8 will have an LT2 engine. Any speculation as to if it will have the AFM with cylinder deactivation like the LT1?
Old 03-12-2019, 01:45 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

If I were a betting man I would say 100% yes it will have AFM due to our wonderful government CAFE regs.
Old 03-12-2019, 02:27 PM
Oldguychuck
Instructor

I understand CAFE regs but other manufacturers do not use the cylinder deactivation and deal with CAFE. For such a low volume car, I just do not see the rational for its' use on the Corvette. I understand the use of one engine across many makes and models but for the Vette they could tune out the cylinder deactivation and leave it on other models.
If they do take the manual option out of the C8 then everyone will have to deal with the issues caused by the AFM. Perhaps they will lesson the issues if they do away with the current torque converter but I for one am skeptical..I guess we will see...
Old 03-12-2019, 02:36 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Oldguychuck
I understand CAFE regs but other manufacturers do not use the cylinder deactivation and deal with CAFE. For such a low volume car, I just do not see the rational for its' use on the Corvette. I understand the use of one engine across many makes and models but for the Vette they could tune out the cylinder deactivation and leave it on other models.
If they do take the manual option out of the C8 then everyone will have to deal with the issues caused by the AFM. Perhaps they will lesson the issues if they do away with the current torque converter but I for one am skeptical..I guess we will see...
The current trucks have a new AFM that can run on as few as 2 cylinders. I'm guessing the LT2 will have that. Now that the torque tube is gone the harmonics are probably easier to control. I'm guessing GM does it in the Vette because it's required for the trucks? I know lots of Vette folks enjoy having it. I use it on road trips and get 32-33 mpg... pretty good. However I got 29-30 in all my C5s simply because the car isn't a pig like the C7. If I could choose to have it or not have it I would not... KISS.
Old 03-12-2019, 02:41 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

CAFE means Corporate Average Fuel Economy. If they leave something that would produce better MPG off of Corvette, they have to make it up somewhere else. That's a decision only manufacturers can make when analyzing their entire model lineup. Other manufacturers may be in a better position on that score than GM, thus having the flexibility not to use things like stop/start and cylinder deactivation on certain models.
Old 03-12-2019, 03:34 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,753 Likes on 4,182 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

I saw this today as well. A few more tidbits of info there...
Old 03-12-2019, 03:58 PM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Mcrider
"We might not see it until summer 2019". True, and likely, but also true that we 'might' not see it until 2020. Not the most committed statement on their part.

"It could start between $60k and $70k." True, maybe slightly less likely, but again 'could' isn't the most committed statement. It could start between $1M and $1B, not likely but could.

"It could get a fancy new V-8." Come on, they aren't even trying anymore...'could' here is the wrong word. It 'will' get a fancy new V8, that's pretty much a given. It 'could' get a fancy new hybrid and V6 option as well.

"An all-wheel drive hybrid is a possibility." Again with the non-committal statements. It is also possible that it will have rockets coming out the back. And come on guys, with a hybrid can we at least say its 'likely'. You know it's in the works.

"It might be dual-clutch only." Ok, I'm going to go smash my head agaisnt the wall, and I 'might' die. It 'will' be dual clutch only...or how about the compromise non-committal statement of it will likely be dual clutch only. That at least would have some teeth to the statement.

"It will have an interesting engine cover." A committed statement! It 'will' have...and the statement is the first one that is wrong as by itself the statement doesn't discuss the differences in the cover between hardtop and convertible.

"It might have a targa roof." Damn it...we are back to the 'mights'. There 'will' be a targa roof available, we've all seen in it in a hundred photos...and it's been an option on every Corvette year since 84'.

"It's going racing, possibly with V-6 power." Another commitment! Yay! Well sorta, it was followed by a 'possibly'. And for the first time, 'possibly' seems like the right word choice.

"It's going to take the fight to the 911 Turbo S." Another commitment! Yay! Though, not exactly the most revolutionary statement. Corvette has been measuring its gentleman sausage against the 911 since the 70s.

"The design would be pretty different." I will take 'Can we be a little more vague?' for $200 Alex.

"The performance will be even better." Another commitment! And, yet this one is not provable at the moment. It is highly likely that the performance will be even better, but at present there is no proof unless R&T has done a secret test we know nothing about.

"It could be called Zora." Another damn 'could'. It could be called 'Steve' or 'Archibold' or even 'Mervin', but it likely won't. How about 'It will likely be called Zora, Sting Ray, or Manta Ray (not)'.

"Here it is testing in California." Well considering they provided video, we definitely know that. Moving on.

The title is a bit deceiving as a result how about instead of 'Everything We Know', let's go with 'Everything We Think Is Possible'

R&T...you can do better. I am happy to come write for you if that will avoid this issue in the future.

Last edited by Atari_Prime; 03-12-2019 at 05:07 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Atari_Prime:
RapidC84B (03-12-2019), Red67John (03-13-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 09:03 AM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

I'll be surprised if the C8 base price exceeds $60K, shocked and appalled if it's north of $65K.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:26 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Originally Posted by patentcad
I'll be surprised if the C8 base price exceeds $60K, shocked and appalled if it's north of $65K.
Given a 2019 Base car is like $57K now, I don't see the car being sub $60K. I do agree it will be sub $65K though.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:42 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Using words like "could" and "might" is the only honest way those outside of the GM orbit can talk about these cars, given how effectively GM has been at keeping secrets on this project. We have a small group of folks on this forum saying "it will be" this or that, but they are relying on information from sources not in a position to know either, and/or they are just plain delusional..
Old 03-13-2019, 11:39 AM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Using words like "could" and "might" is the only honest way those outside of the GM orbit can talk about these cars, given how effectively GM has been at keeping secrets on this project. We have a small group of folks on this forum saying "it will be" this or that, but they are relying on information from sources not in a position to know either, and/or they are just plain delusional..
Not sure how you got off the ignore list, but comments like this gets you right back on. You like to argue but have nothing to say.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:45 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

All I know for sure. the next Corvette will be a C8
Old 03-13-2019, 02:39 PM
vndkshn
Melting Slicks

Received 1,776 Likes on 863 Posts

Originally Posted by Atari_Prime
Not sure how you got off the ignore list, but comments like this gets you right back on. You like to argue but have nothing to say.
Heavy irony here you must admit. Your reply really had nothing at all to do with the thread, while at least Foosh's did.

Back on topic.

R&T (and pretty much every automotive mag) is in a bad spot when it comes to predicting the future and upcoming cars, especially when the manufacturer is being so tight lipped about it. It's interesting to see the difference between GM/Ferrari/Ford/etc and Koenigsegg/Tesla/etc. The first are generally pretty silent about what's coming up next, while the later are always talking about it. I suppose it is a marketing thing.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:09 PM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/03/13/...021&yptr=yahoo

How do you feel about Global B, that moves much of the vehicles computing power to the cloud to enable over the air updates, and is connected to the CAN bus?? That would allow vehicle tracking, and allows GM to see exactly what you are doing with the vehicle, such as speeds and braking data. The Black Box data will be transmitted directly to GM and possibly your insurance company. I'm guessing they will be able to shut the vehicle down quicker than On-Star.

Get notified of new replies

To Mid-Engine Corvette: Everything We Know

Old 03-13-2019, 05:12 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

I'm not a fan... this and the inability to tune the ZR1 currently. What about when it's out of warranty or if I want to do mods? I'm seriously considering keeping my C7 as a trackday car and getting another C5 vert as my cruiser/road trip car. KISS.
The following users liked this post:
GM5778 (03-19-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 12:10 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 771 Likes on 553 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
CAFE means Corporate Average Fuel Economy. If they leave something that would produce better MPG off of Corvette, they have to make it up somewhere else. That's a decision only manufacturers can make when analyzing their entire model lineup. Other manufacturers may be in a better position on that score than GM, thus having the flexibility not to use things like stop/start and cylinder deactivation on certain models.
I agree with that statement. BUT, given the low volume of Corvette sales, I'm curious what would be the actual CAFE impact. I'd be very interested in knowing the differential cost of GM paying the CAFE tax on the (possible) shortcoming of the CAFE target, compared to the parts/warranty costs of putting the AFM components in Corvette-only engines. (It's my understanding that it's a GM "philosophy" to not up front plan to pay the CAFE penalty.)

Just my curiosity.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:37 PM
Oldguychuck
Instructor

I am with 69427. However, I think it is more of a convenience so GM can make the Corvette like it makes every other Chevy and share components.
Porsche does Not put CAFE nannies on their engines and still manages to make a healthy profit. I realize that Porsche's profit margin is much larger than GM's but I believe that the small number of Corvettes could Not effect CAFE to a great extent given the small percentage of Vettes compared to the total number of GM cars made. Again, a matter of convenience and profit taking by sharing common components..I also understand that the Vette is much cheaper than the Porsche and everything is built to a price point but would pay more for an engine that did not go to a 4 cylinder...But, that is just me..

Quick Reply: Mid-Engine Corvette: Everything We Know