Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone seen a C8 get gas, and then start and drive away afterwards?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 08:02 PM
LLK
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikec7z
I used to have a car that would experience cavitation in the fuel pump if the fuel was hot, and the car was shut off for a moment, and then restarted, air would get into the fuel line and the pump, and then the pump would start to make a strange noise indicating the car would run lean next WOT. Its a common problem on high HP cars. Ive also been stranded at a gas station a couple times when something would go wrong with the car upon restart.

Keep the heat or ac blowing, listen to the radio...

and ironically, if you are going to blow up at a gas station, its my believe its more likely to happen when you go to START a car, than if the car is left idling. Jumper cable sparks, etc.

So i just follow my gut, and most of the time i let it run.

Also if you have a turbo car, you aren't supposed to shut the car down when the turbos are scorching hot. Since i dont drive slow at all times, my turbos would be hot as im pulling into a gas station.

Its just better to let the car run i think.

(there's some people who are getting really mad inside right now that they are learning so much from this thread
I'm 64 and have owned all manner of high horsepower, cars since 1970, and have never heard of the problem you describe as common, and have never experienced it. Whatever.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:04 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Received 647 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by LLK
I'm 64 and have owned all manner of high horsepower, cars since 1970, and have never heard of the problem you describe as common, and have never experienced it. Whatever.

https://i.gifer.com/IL5X.gif

never heard of turbos needing to cool down before you shut off your car, or you melt the turbo's seals and also damage the bearings/internals huh?

Last edited by Mikec7z; 04-10-2019 at 08:40 PM.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:07 PM
TFen
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 88 Posts

you dont understand that einstein agrees he was not the smartest, he was just the most persistent, and he always focused on the irregularities in physics.

That is how you make profound breakthroughs. For those of you who did not understand this prior to this thread, maybe now you will think differently about coincidences moving forward, and try to isolate variables.

I could say its not rocket science, but i guess maybe it is... im not sure. This is what invention requires btw... a person willing to do this non stop until every problem is solved. The people who do not, do not invent anything to its full completion. Its the others who pick up the broken idea and take it to fruition who give your green paper meaning.
I really don’t know what’s scarier:

The fact that you *truly* believe that you “think differently” and have made a breakthrough that GM and their team of engineers weren’t able to crack.

Or

That there’s people out there that are actually dumb enough to buy into your ****.

You sure have a high opinion of your self. I can only wonder what sort of company you keep if you truly think that you “think differently” and that your line of reasoning is that much more advanced than others. I suggest you venture out of your current circle and start connecting with more pragmatic thinkers. You are in desperate need of a reality check.
The following 3 users liked this post by TFen:
ColdPIzza (04-10-2019), Red67John (04-10-2019), ShagVette (04-10-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 08:08 PM
LLK
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts

never heard of turbos needing to cool down before you shut off your car, or you melt the turbo's seals huh?
Not in the 21st century. Also, you said high performance cars so that, I guess, would include non-turbo cars. Listen, if it works for you...
Old 04-10-2019, 08:14 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Fenwick
I really don’t know what’s scarier:

The fact that you *truly* believe that you “think differently” and have made a breakthrough that GM and their team of engineers weren’t able to crack.

Or

That there’s people out there that are actually dumb enough to buy into your ****.

You sure have a high opinion of your self. I can only wonder what sort of company you keep if you truly think that you “think differently” and that your line of reasoning is that much more advanced than others. I suggest you venture out of your current circle and start connecting with more pragmatic thinkers. You are in desperate need of a reality check.
Super scary for sure. GM definitely has it solved already. Thanks for the update. Take a hike boss, i thought you of all people would appreciate the thread since it gave you a chance to be part of the solution, but apparently some people must make enemies instead of make friends.

Originally Posted by LLK
Not in the 21st century. Also, you said high performance cars so that, I guess, would include non-turbo cars. Listen, if it works for you...
The internals of turbos became more heat resistant after y2k.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 04-10-2019 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-Please use the Multi Quote button to make your responses look like this.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:22 PM
TFen
Racer

So you think it is a 100% certainty that this is NOT the problem, and you think if it is, then GM 100% has it already solved?

.... and this is all coming from the guy who agrees it happens to his Harley.

All im saying is, the man deserves some recognition, IF GM did not look into this yet, and it turns out to be the problem, then why not put the idea where GM will see it?

He deserves the credit, im just the idiot willing to ask the right questions and wait for someone here to provide videos or useful clues. He provided a pretty useful clue, as did you.

You guys are the stars, not me.
No, I don’t think it’s the problem. If it ever was a problem that caused a test car to not start, then it would’ve been addressed immediately.

Man, for somebody that “thinks differently” with such an advanced train of thought, I figured this would be an easy one for you.

Let’s take you through a reasonable troubleshooting process here. It’s gonna take some work on your part, but I’m confident this will help you with your future “inventions” and allow you to “think differently” in the future. You ready, champ?

When there’s an RF signal interference it blocks the vehicle from being able to read the key, which in turn causes a situation where the vehicle is unable to start. Because the vehicle is unable to read the key, it’s as if the key isn’t there at all. When this happens there’s a distinct messages that gets displayed on the Driver Information Center.

For this exercise, you’ll need to unlock your C7, leave the fob outside of the vehicle (20ft away to be safe) and attempt to start the car. The vehicle will not start and display a secret message, just for you. Report back and tell us what that secret message is.

Old 04-10-2019, 08:30 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

i dont agree with much that you said up there at all, so i guess we will agree that we dont think alike.

As far as calling me the troll in your other post, might want to look up what a troll is, and go find a mirror. Let us know when you have any intent to actually be the one who creates threads with the opening objective of solving a problem for this community, instead of use your energy to start them.

Edit: and something else for you to think about... the new cars are supposed to be anti-hack oriented, a step beyond the zr1's encryption that no one has cracked yet.

Its to pave the way for autonomous vehicles which communicate with GM global connect etc,...

lets say GM implemented an anti-hack protocol of some sort in the car, where if it believes it is being hacked, it turns into a potato (as its been proven the 2019 zr1 already do)

well, on a long shot, what im saying is, perhaps the gas pump is turning the car into a potato just like the tuners who try to get into the zr1's computer. The car is detecting a signal it believes to be a threat perhaps. I know its a long shot, but just throwing ideas out. So no, it wont necessarily say "no key found", instead it might be a problem we have no comprehension/understanding, as of yet.

Originally Posted by NORTY
Ok, so it appears as though the C8 mules may have a FOBS recognition issue at some gas stations. Based on what I know about gasoline fueling stations (a fair amount, since I was in that business from 1976 to 2008,) I'm thinking this...
Most gas stations are LOADED with RFI. This is due to the underground monitorring systems (aka Veeder-Root,) constantly monitorring and communicating with their respective refineries.
Now, since the C6 generation, the FOBS may utilize the SAME fequency band as a Veeder-Root, it stands to reason that the FOBS may send a corrupted signal to the car. The car's ECM recognizes ONLY the signal (UNcorrupted) from that FOBS. The car may be "arming itself" at these name brand stations, so the car goes into "lockdown."
Move the car 40-50' away from this RFI, and the car operates normally.
There, how's that for a theory?
Before the name calling starts, please note that this very scenario DID happen beginning with the C6 generation cars. (Especially with Z06's!)
back on track for a bit till the guys with no lives show back up...

While we wait for any other evidence or great ideas on what the problem is and when its occurring, lets discuss Norty's signal/frequency idea posted above...

Lets assume he got the right answer and hit the nail on the head...

how long of a repair/replace process would it be to get a new ignition communication system in the car that uses different frequencies on the c8's? Obviously, the clock would have started at the soonest, on the last gas pump fail. how long would this delay a reveal/production for those of you who are familiar with these systems and all that it is tied into in the car?

Is it an easy swap of just a new antenna and key fob... or do whole clusters have to be replaced and reworked? Last time i checked, the cars have many antennas inside. This is assuming he got the right answer, he may not have, but im not opposed to talking about it until someone proposes something better or provides some updated video evidence of what is going on with the cars shutting off and restarting.

Edit: and something else to think about... the new cars are supposed to be anti-hack oriented, a step beyond the zr1's encryption, and no one has cracked it yet it seems.

Its to pave the way for autonomous vehicles which communicate with GM global connect etc, they dont want hackers causing cars to run into a light pole or off a cliff, so it has to be hack proof....

lets say GM implemented an anti-hack protocol of some sort in the car, where if it believes it is being hacked, it turns into a potato (as its been proven the 2019 zr1 already do when tuners try to access their ecu's etc)

well, on a long shot, what im saying is, perhaps the gas pump is turning the car into a potato just like the tuners who try to get into the zr1's computer... when it detects "tampering". The car is detecting a signal it believes to be a threat perhaps. I know its a long shot, but just throwing ideas out.

So, it wont necessarily say "no key found", instead it might be a problem we all have no understanding/comprehension, as of yet since the new cars have a whole new system which GM is testing with its global network and communication.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 04-10-2019 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 04-10-2019, 08:46 PM
TFen
Racer

Let us know when you have any intent to actually be the one who creates threads with the opening objective of solving a problem for this community
You’re right. I forgot that all you’re trying to do is use your superior intellect to nudge those kids engineering the new Corvette in the right direction.

I really hope Jalopnik finds this in time and they’re able to get the message to GM before they throw in the towel and cancel the C8. Hopefully they’re also able to see your brilliant plan to increase sales by “at least 30%”, too. Boy, GM is really going to owe you a debt of gratitude when they consider running two separate Corvette models. I’m sure they’ve never once considered it before.

All of this just better not end up in Tadge’s hands before The Board of Directors see’s it, though, because his “personal vendetta against the FE Corvette” would probably cause him to “sabotage” your works of “genius” you’ve so neatly laid out here.

Not all heroes wear capes, and it’s become clear that you’re the hero GM needs right now.

Keep doing the Lord’s work, here. I’ll stay out of your way.

Last edited by TFen; 04-10-2019 at 08:47 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by TFen:
ColdPIzza (04-10-2019), Red67John (04-10-2019), vetteman41960 (04-10-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 09:16 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

https://www.cbs17.com/news/investiga...sts/1326439455

I think it could be as simple as GM equipped the cars with advanced detection, to prevent spoof key signals.

So maybe the key fob signal + the gas station signals you guys are speaking about... cause the car to assume it is receiving a fake key fob signal (it thinks someone is trying to steal it, according to its new anti theft programming)

So its not going to say "no key fob detected",

instead, it is going to go into "potato mode" perhaps to prevent car theft.... which we already know the 2019 zr1's do when tuners try to access its computer.

And perhaps it waits for a clean key signal to unlock and exit potato mode.

Perhaps the gas station signals prevent the car from ever interpreting a "clean signal" from the key fob.

All of the different variations of gas station signals are likely far beyond what GM could test for in the lab when they developed this system.

I'm now thinking the C8 may not have even been at the gas station to get gas on the second tow episode.... it might have been there to test for this exact problem as they discovered it on the first failure at the first gas station, and the second gas station was on purpose, maybe they pull into stations, shut off, and then see if they can restart without issues between the key fob and the car's ignition system anti theft computer/programing.

in other words.... i dont think we are going to have c8's anytime soon. I would guess they are 9 months away from being on show room floors at minimum. GM needs to make an announcement to keep their c7 sales alive, and let people know not to bank on the c8 being here for a bit, that way people like myself move forward with another c7 purchase instead of hold out for a c8 reveal which is no where near. They need to sell camaros and vettes this summer. They need people to know the c8 is not an option on the table for at least a year... and then if it comes sooner, let it be a surprise.

Under promise and over deliver. GM is going to be in trouble financially... there could be another car company who's system does work, and that other car company could have a patent on it and hold GM ransom for a lot of money for the solution. Probably not the case, but also very possible.

I think Tadge and GM are really dumb to crux the ME vette on new electronic technology. Test this stuff with a bolt/volt or a pickup truck... not your flagship ME that people have been waiting on for 50 years.

Ive said it before and i will say it again, i think Tadge is an idiot.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 04-10-2019 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Merged Posts

Quick Reply: Has anyone seen a C8 get gas, and then start and drive away afterwards?