Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CNBC: 2020 Corvette C8 targets Ferrari and McLaren...

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 10:44 AM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by Telepierre
Another good reason why the 911 did not make it into the CNBC list is because nowadays exotic sports cars use predominantly advanced composite technologies but the 911 is still predominantly made out of 1970 technology stainless steel. That said the 911 is still in good company in other segments of the automotive industry:

1. Honda Odyssey (family van)
2. Chrysler Pacifica (family van)
3. Kia Stinger
4. Nissan Rogue
5. Genesis G90

To note the 911 did not make that favorites in stainless steele either because extremely busy paying fines and settlements of all kinds but I am sure next year they will give it another try.

https://www.mrskathyking.com/top-5-f...-steelmatters/
I am sure that is GM based propaganda and we all know you can’t trust the media that’s bought and paid for by the car manufactures. At least that’s what you are always trying to teach everyone. LOL. BTW....teasing about it being GM propaganda...but most will get my point while it flies by you.

Last edited by Dr. ice; 04-20-2019 at 10:49 AM.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:54 AM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

https://autoweek.com/article/.../talking-992-tech-911s-familiar-looks-hide-slate-advan...Jan 17, 2019 - …......….... Steel made up 63 percent of the 991 chassis
The following users liked this post:
Zaro Tundov (04-20-2019)
Old 04-20-2019, 03:08 PM
Tennis & Golf Nut
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmchairArchitect
Corvettes are made out of fiberglass (and intentionally so to reduce the weight), but nice attempt to try to knock down the car again. You wouldn't call carbon fiber "plastic" just because it's also held together by plastic resin.
Wasn't trying to knock the Vette, I happen to love my C6 Z06 Old technology LS7.

Just don't like Orange Peel.
Old 04-20-2019, 03:17 PM
Tennis & Golf Nut
Race Director

Originally Posted by Dr. ice
Corvettes are great cars. I loved my C7 Z51....but I really enjoy my current 2017 911 C2S as well. I know the S and 4S are out now but haven’t heard when the T will be rolled out. I will order a new S model if the C8 fails to excite me as much. I know my wife greatly prefers the 911 since it rides better, has better outward visibility and is not as loud in the cabin on trips.....so we will see. I have GMS employee purchasing but I doubt the C8 will be eligible until year 2 like was the case for the C7. On the flip side a have a very good Lake friend that is President of the dealership that sells among other high end cars, Porsche. I know I can get 10-11 percent off on a new car order when I decide.

If your looking at the T, I would assume you want a manual, and if so, I haven’t heard when they will introduce that option either. I really hope the new C8 makes it a hard choice as I would choose a 911 over any C7 any day of the week. However, if I could justify both I would.
That would be correct, a Manual vs PDK.

If the C8 does not offer a Z06 Manual by year 2 then I'm getting the Porsche 911 C2S with Rear Wheel Steering.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...under-details/
Old 04-20-2019, 03:23 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

I have owned two 911's, I am a huge fan until Porsche became addicted to steroids, I mean how big are they going to get? In the past you could always close your eyes and you would still know what kind of car you were in. Not anymore.
Old 04-20-2019, 03:30 PM
Tennis & Golf Nut
Race Director

Originally Posted by John T
I have owned two 911's, I am a huge fan until Porsche became addicted to steroids, I mean how big are they going to get? In the past you could always close your eyes and you would still know what kind of car you were in. Not anymore.
I believe all the New Models only come in the Wide-Body, Big-Booty style which I happen to like.

I'm hoping the C8 can compete.

Old 04-20-2019, 03:45 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. ice
Corvettes are great cars. I loved my C7 Z51....but I really enjoy my current 2017 911 C2S as well. I know the S and 4S are out now but haven’t heard when the T will be rolled out. I will order a new S model if the C8 fails to excite me as much. I know my wife greatly prefers the 911 since it rides better, has better outward visibility and is not as loud in the cabin on trips.....so we will see. I have GMS employee purchasing but I doubt the C8 will be eligible until year 2 like was the case for the C7. On the flip side a have a very good Lake friend that is President of the dealership that sells among other high end cars, Porsche. I know I can get 10-11 percent off on a new car order when I decide. If your looking at the T, I would assume you want a manual, and if so, I haven’t heard when they will introduce that option either. I really hope the new C8 makes it a hard choice as I would choose a 911 over any C7 any day of the week. However, if I could justify both I would.
Seriously Dude, give it a break, maybe for one day if you think that's possible. There couldn't be anyone here at this point that you haven't reminded for the 25th time that you drive a 911, OK Pal, we've all heard this broken record routine about how much better your used 911 is than a Corvette. Why does a top 1%, $650,000 a year man have to cheap out on his sports cars. Why didn't Mr Bigshot buy himself a Z06 or a new Porsche vs a used one.
TNBUSA (04-21-2019)
Old 04-20-2019, 04:02 PM
Tennis & Golf Nut
Race Director

Originally Posted by punky
Seriously Dude, give it a break, maybe for one day if you think that's possible. There couldn't be anyone here at this point that you haven't reminded for the 25th time that you drive a 911, OK Pal, we've all heard this broken record routine about how much better your used 911 is than a Corvette. Why does a top 1%, $650,000 a year man have to cheap out on his sports cars.

Why didn't Mr Bigshot buy himself a Z06 or a new Porsche vs a used one.
I'm not going to defend him, but I will say this.

I have a good friend who is worth $50M+, he only buys used luxury cars after 50% of the depreciation has been taken out.

He currently drives a BMW 7 Series, paid half after about 3 years in mint condition.

Another local guy just donated $300,000.00 to his church, he owns a large company with 500 employees. He drives a 12-year-old Buick with 80,000 miles.

Not everyone is into cars.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tennis & Golf Nut:
Michael A (05-25-2019), TheSenator (04-21-2019)
Old 04-20-2019, 04:03 PM
marlowemar
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wideout
Driving to work a few days ago, I passed by what looked like a chubby millennial standing outside his broke down Mclaren with hazards on, engaged on his cell phone I presume calling for help. I could not have laughed harder.
Why is the misfortune of others a laughing matter? When your Corvette breaks down does it make you feel better to see someone in an Impala laughing their asses off at you?
Old 04-20-2019, 04:08 PM
marlowemar
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by billiam01
Imagine the confusion of the general public when they see a C8, especially in red or yellow, and say "Is that a Ferrari?".
That happens now to my Stingray.
ArmchairArchitect (04-20-2019)
Old 04-20-2019, 05:02 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by Tennis & Golf Nut

I have a good friend who is worth $50M+, he only buys used luxury cars after 50% of the depreciation has been taken out.

He currently drives a BMW 7 Series, paid half after about 3 years in mint condition.

Another local guy just donated $300,000.00 to his church, he owns a large company with 500 employees. He drives a 12-year-old Buick with 80,000 miles.

I get the stuff about guys who could care less about cars.

Does your 50 million buddy also bash Corvettes on an internet forum every day?
Old 04-20-2019, 09:36 PM
Tennis & Golf Nut
Race Director

I get the stuff about guys who could care less about cars.

Does your 50 million buddy also bash Corvettes on an internet forum every day?
He's got a company to run and better things to do.
Old 04-21-2019, 09:18 AM
Dunga
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Interesting read this thread. I’m a first model year C7 stingray adopter. This was my first “nice” car. This was my first sports car. And it stole a 911 sale despite the price disparity. The -at the time new- design of the car, interior and exterior, the reviews, helped make up my mind. I was very frustrated talking to local dealers, at the time I was in my 20s and wasn’t being taken seriously perhaps?! Plus cars were selling like hot cakes. It took a while for me to find these forums and find a forum dealer and make a single phone call to custom order my dream factory ordered sports car. Mike Furman took great care of this 29 year old kid from North Dakota and got him a Z51 to his liking.

Owning the the car has been great. Thank goodness haven’t had major issues. Driven it on the track a few times. Put snow tires on it and drive it year round, not as a daily I’m not mentally ill but when it’s nice and -20 degrees I’ll drive it work, and of course on numerous cross country trips. Now with a 1 year old in the house she sees a lot less miles but still has a special place in my heart. I’m at 20,000 miles and getting a set of Michelin 4S tires mounted tomorrow.

My negative experience has been dealing with local dealerships. I won’t get into it as it would drag, but there have been numerous frustrations and you would think they would treat you well when you buy what is arguably a brand’s halo car. At the end I found a dealer with a good service center that had done right be me and it means I have to drive to another town to get my car serviced which is fine.

Now here’s the thing. I think 911s are awesome. More so the 991.1s and of course the GT cars. I like that you can get leather everything in the interior but of course you’re paying for all of it. And obviously you pay the Porsche tax. Could some of the marketing be misleading? I would not put it past them. They’re in the business of selling cars and making money, which is not to justify misleading consumers, but VAG has done many worse things even in the recent past. At the end of the day, one of the worst things I personally experienced as a potential Porsche customer, was friggin’ walking into a Porsche dealer. Your mileage will vary obviously guys, but I got treated with eye rolling and we “can’t get you a GT3” and “you gotta pay market adjustment this and that”. And “how about this clean 4 owner 50,000 mile unit till we can get you something”. It was atrocious. I’ve had a night and day difference working with Audi and Mercedes. This whole thing Porsche does with their GT cars of “we’re releasing this awesome series, but they’re all sold” and two months later you have 30 of them for sale for $100k markup and 100 miles on the clock is just silly. Besides if I wanted to buy a $300k 911 I’ll just get a true exotic.

At any rate, I have been absent from these forums as life has kept me busy, but with the C8 announcement my interest had been reignited. I’m not willing to commit to it yet and I’m really happy with my current toy but wanna see where Chevy goes. I pray they consider a manual tranny but am not too optimistic. Without getting into annual incomes, net worth and all that crap I can assure you I would cross shop the next C8-Vette with anything on offer from Porsche up to a GT3RS -sans a stupid market adjustment-, an R8, used Huracan a new/used McLaren 570 or currently used 650 and in a year or two used 720 given how they depreciate. The fact that I can service the Vette locally is a huge advantage. A check engine light on the Mclaren or Lamborghini means a drive or tow to Chicago which would ruin my week. Not an issue for an R8 though as we have Audi in Minneapolis.

Just some one perspective since some are saying no one crossshops those cars. Maybe not the majority but some do. The exclusivity is nice but even with Chevy selling 35,000 cars a year I still don’t see a ton of Vettes on the road where I live except maybe at cars and coffee and I see one other one usually on the track. And above all I truly enjoy the drive.

Happy Easter all.
Old 04-21-2019, 12:51 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

GM would get crucified if the C8 showed an *** end this ugly at the reveal. It is a entirely different appraisal when its a Porsche.
The following 2 users liked this post by punky:
CorvettoBrando (04-22-2019), TNBUSA (04-21-2019)
Old 04-21-2019, 01:23 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

GM would get crucified if the C8 showed an *** end this ugly at the reveal. It is a entirely different appraisal when its a Porsche.
Design is subjective for sure but this is FAR from an ugly rear. In my opinion, the rear of the 991 and 992 is the car's most appealing view! The rear of the C7 is far more controversial generally speaking than the 992. Not that it should be... I've always been a fan of the C7 rear end... but if you asked 100 non-brand affiliated people if the like the C7 or a 992 rear end, I bet the C7 doesn't win that poll. You just hate Porsche and that's OK too

Last edited by gthal; 04-21-2019 at 01:26 PM.
BEAR-AvHistory (04-22-2019)
Old 04-21-2019, 07:32 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by gthal
Design is subjective for sure but this is FAR from an ugly rear. In my opinion, the rear of the 991 and 992 is the car's most appealing view! The rear of the C7 is far more controversial generally speaking than the 992. Not that it should be... I've always been a fan of the C7 rear end... but if you asked 100 non-brand affiliated people if the like the C7 or a 992 rear end, I bet the C7 doesn't win that poll. You just hate Porsche and that's OK too
FWIW, I'm not a big 911 fan either, but I do think this new rear-end is one of the best looking they have ever put out.
AND I think the C7's is one of the best Corvette butts GM has yet come up with.
Just my opinion and worth exactly 2 cents.
Old 04-21-2019, 07:50 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Don't mean to offend any ones dream car here but this "smooth as a turd" profile sucks.

Get notified of new replies

To CNBC: 2020 Corvette C8 targets Ferrari and McLaren...

Old 04-21-2019, 09:10 PM
Dunga
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Don't mean to offend any ones dream car here but this "smooth as a turd" profile sucks.
For me personally the rear end doesnt do it. Particularly the plastic bit around the exhaust tips just looks cheap. It’s all subjective of course. I think the 991.1 cars looked good.
Old 04-21-2019, 09:18 PM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

Received 729 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by Dunga
For me personally the rear end doesnt do it. Particularly the plastic bit around the exhaust tips just looks cheap. It’s all subjective of course. I think the 991.1 cars looked good.
. AGREE....I’m a Porsche fan but personally don’t care for what they did to either end of the 2020. Miss the “taillights” for sure. Front “grill” is blah... not sure what happened to the headlights but prefer the ‘19’s...
CorvettoBrando (04-22-2019)
Old 04-21-2019, 11:36 PM
TheSenator
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Tennis & Golf Nut

Complete sidebar:
I recommend a book called "Stop Acting Rich" by Thomas Stanley.
While we all have things we spend money on for pleasure, it's very interesting to see what the 1% of 1% spend on.

Most popular watch bought by millionaires: Rolex? No, Timex was #1. Rolex barely made Top 5.
Bill Gates has bought 3 different generations of Ford Explorers.

Financial behavior is such an interesting topic IMO.

Last edited by TheSenator; 04-21-2019 at 11:37 PM.

Quick Reply: CNBC: 2020 Corvette C8 targets Ferrari and McLaren...