Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CNBC: 2020 Corvette C8 targets Ferrari and McLaren...

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 04:10 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Just a few comments from Car & Driver who run the event

1. All Lightning Lap entries arrive in factory condition or fitted with homologated parts available at their dealerships. .
How would Car and Driver know that? Do they buy them anonymously off showroom floors? Do they tear them down and check every part against several known samples, including every bit of programming in the computer?
The following users liked this post:
Mikec7z (04-14-2019)
Old 04-13-2019, 05:20 PM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Just a few comments from Car & Driver who run the event

1. All Lightning Lap entries arrive in factory condition or fitted with homologated parts available at their dealerships. It’s been 12 years now, with 242 laps on the Lightning Lap register. This year's valedictorian also set a new all-time record. Let’s give the kid a round of applause.

2. Despite the new tires, the Porsche lacks the outright grip of the ZR1, pulling 1.16 g’s in Horse Shoe to the Vette’s 1.21. We suspect this is less a reflection on the Cup 2 R than it is a function of the weight balance of this rear-engined machine, because the RS gets out of corners as if it stole the curbing and the apex police are chasing it.

As far as run what you brung you don't think the zillion factory techs in attendance did not set the cars up with everything they could. The ZR1 grew from a Base Price: $129,505 | As-Tested Price: $141,485 & the Z06 from Base Price: $93,480. As-Tested Price: $100,245. You really don't believe GM knowing what they were going into that they spent the extra money over base on leather seats & a high end entertainment system do you?
All Lightning Lap entries arrive in factory condition or fitted with homologated parts available at their dealerships.
Statement materially false for the GT2RS.
For the tires It has already been ascertained since the 2017 GT2RS and GT3RS (fake) records that the CUP 2 Rs were neither homologated neither available at the dealership (thanks to the German Porsche club). They were in fact a special order to Michelin to equip solely the "fleet" of cars for media events.
Same basically for the Weissach package and other "stripping" alleged to be readily available at the dealership.

As far as run what you brung you don't think the zillion factory techs in attendance did not set the cars up with everything they could. The ZR1 grew from a Base Price: $129,505 | As-Tested Price: $141,485 & the Z06 from Base Price: $93,480. As-Tested Price: $100,245. You really don't believe GM knowing what they were going into that they spent the extra money over base on leather seats & a high end entertainment system do you?
Mostly conjecture and innuendo question and the proverbial moral equivalency trick to distract from the subject at hand.

I suggest that if you want to allege that both ZR1 and Z06 were not stock the best way to do it is to deliberately state it instead of question/innuendo.

For my part, I suspect both ZR1 and Z06 were fitted with the corresponding track packages which to the best of my knowledge, unlike the GTs, are readily available as factory options and do bring up the price of the base.
If you know otherwise state your case.

Apologies, not going further as this thread is not about track records at all...
Maybe the CNBC article implies knowledge on exotics we are not aware of. I just brought up the fact the "record 911" is not in there..
Old 04-13-2019, 06:55 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by Telepierre
Statement materially false for the GT2RS.
For the tires It has already been ascertained since the 2017 GT2RS and GT3RS (fake) records that the CUP 2 Rs were neither homologated neither available at the dealership (thanks to the German Porsche club). They were in fact a special order to Michelin to equip solely the "fleet" of cars for media events.
Same basically for the Weissach package and other "stripping" alleged to be readily available at the dealership.

Mostly conjecture and innuendo question and the proverbial moral equivalency trick to distract from the subject at hand.

I suggest that if you want to allege that both ZR1 and Z06 were not stock the best way to do it is to deliberately state it instead of question/innuendo.

For my part, I suspect both ZR1 and Z06 were fitted with the corresponding track packages which to the best of my knowledge, unlike the GTs, are readily available as factory options and do bring up the price of the base.
If you know otherwise state your case.

Apologies, not going further as this thread is not about track records at all...
Maybe the CNBC article implies knowledge on exotics we are not aware of. I just brought up the fact the "record 911" is not in there..
We know you hate Porsche. Cup 2 R tire is standard and a "special" compound isn't shaving all that much time off what is already effectively a race tire. Besides, almost every car tested has been highly regarded and that would suggest every one had those sneaky special tires. Regardless, could you point to the source? Fake news, fake news!! Say it enough and it's true

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...t-nurburgring/

Bottom line is track times are a bit academic but for anyone who has driven a Porsche RS car, they can almost universally talk about why there are few cars that feel and perform like it. The ZR1 is a great car. The GT2/3 RS are great cars. Your personal mission to discredit Porsche is curious to say the least.

Besides, the C8 will in short order break all C7 ZR1 records handily so who cares!

Last edited by gthal; 04-13-2019 at 07:01 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by gthal:
BEAR-AvHistory (04-13-2019), isellpower (04-18-2019)
Old 04-13-2019, 07:00 PM
Wideout
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

Originally Posted by Sub Driver
Why is that funny? Do you laugh when people post on these forums about problems with their corvette or when you see them broken down? The jealousy is strong with you.
I don't read posts about people that have problems with their vette, nor have I seen one broken down. I do however laugh when Mustangs do a burnout and get sideways. It isn't jealousy, but I don't mind if you make that assumption.
Old 04-13-2019, 07:04 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Wideout
I don't read posts about people that have problems with their vette, nor have I seen one broken down. I do however laugh when Mustangs do a burnout and get sideways. It isn't jealousy, but I don't mind if you make that assumption.
Throw out bearing went in my C7. I laughed at myself. Maybe others laughed at me too. Oh well
Old 04-13-2019, 10:44 PM
BEAR-AvHistory
Drifting

Received 702 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by Wideout
Driving to work a few days ago, I passed by what looked like a chubby millennial standing outside his broke down Mclaren with hazards on, engaged on his cell phone I presume calling for help. I could not have laughed harder.
Why laugh instead of offering help when someone has car trouble? My fuel pump committed suicide on a hot summer day & quite a few people stopped to offer help including some snacks & bottled water.

Think you need to get used to & man up to the fact that someone is always going to have a more expensive car then you do.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 04-13-2019 at 10:48 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by BEAR-AvHistory:
jschindler (04-14-2019), marlowemar (04-20-2019)
Old 04-13-2019, 11:11 PM
flyforfun
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts

After this article, anyone thinking they will offer the base for under $80K is living in La La Land
marlowemar (04-20-2019)
Old 04-13-2019, 11:12 PM
Zora_Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2,017 Likes on 702 Posts

Originally Posted by flyforfun
After this article, anyone thinking they will offer the base for under $80K is living in La La Land
Anyone thinking the base will start over $70K needs to come back down to Earth.
Old 04-14-2019, 12:13 AM
SingleTrackMinded
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,359 Likes on 903 Posts

Why does it always have to be us (Vette) against them (insert any car here). Some of us just like cool cars, regardless of the brand.
The following 7 users liked this post by SingleTrackMinded:
BEAR-AvHistory (04-14-2019), bgspot (04-14-2019), jefnvk (04-15-2019), Kruegmeister (05-25-2019), marlowemar (04-20-2019), purple heart (06-05-2019), Tennis & Golf Nut (04-14-2019) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-14-2019, 01:37 AM
Nordic_Samurai
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 46 Posts

Corvettes have always been tremendous value for the performance, and with a few mods they can definitely be in the conversation with certain Ferraris, Lamboghinis, and McLarens. However, people don't spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on supercars simply for performance. Build quality, especially for the interior, is a big factor, but more than anything, it is the cache of driving a car that not everyone has. No different that the frequent posts on this site when discussing the specs of the newest Camaros and/or Mustangs. They are great cars, but they are not Corvettes!!
jefnvk (04-15-2019)
Old 04-14-2019, 01:44 AM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by gthal
We know you hate Porsche. Cup 2 R tire is standard and a "special" compound isn't shaving all that much time off what is already effectively a race tire. Besides, almost every car tested has been highly regarded and that would suggest every one had those sneaky special tires. Regardless, could you point to the source? Fake news, fake news!! Say it enough and it's true

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...t-nurburgring/

Bottom line is track times are a bit academic but for anyone who has driven a Porsche RS car, they can almost universally talk about why there are few cars that feel and perform like it. The ZR1 is a great car. The GT2/3 RS are great cars. Your personal mission to discredit Porsche is curious to say the least.

Besides, the C8 will in short order break all C7 ZR1 records handily so who cares!
We know
? We?....are you an official spokesperson?

Not the least hateful of any make and brand. I have stated multiple times the 911 is the only remaining quintessential "classic" car, well built and arguably (depending on model) one the most sexy "butts/rears" ever designed. Come the right age and attitude I can see myself easily strolling around on weekends with my wife in a nice used 911 for leisure driving (maybe). I am also of the opinion the car does not belong in the top five of the regular street sport performance echelon. They are marketing-stretching the platform and IMHO their clever efforts are becoming increasingly evident.

I'll admit, as a test engineer I have a strong dislike for deceptive advertising especially when pursued by slight of hand "cheating". Most of the time it backfires.

Cup 2 R tire is standard and a "special" compound isn't shaving all that much time off what is already effectively a race tire. Besides, almost every car tested has been highly regarded and that would suggest every one had those sneaky special tires. Regardless, could you point to the source? Fake news, fake news!! Say it enough and it's true
This is a classic and wordy rationalization of cheating. "I do it because everybody does it" which in comparative testing is BS!
Additionally you are also intentionally attempting to diminish the effort (in this case) by rationalizing the effect of the cheating as being small and therefore negligible. Noted.

Your request for source is rather laughable, 2017-2019...where have you been!? Magazine world?

You can easily find the whole thing by simple google search on Porsche forums, this CF forum (see Ring threads/ N.A Porsche VP statements) and most importantly track forums especially the German ones. All of it! The CUP 2 R disguise, the OEM fiasco and so on and so on.

Back to track reality, I actually I find it ironic the real "enemy" of the Porsche GT cars is really the McLaren PDR installed on Z06s with their live accounts of what happens when they encounter STOCK Porsche GT cars...

To think that by all accounts of car magazine connoisseurs "they" were supposed to gap all the competition by 30 seconds for each ring lap.... :-)

I wonder what happened?

Last edited by Telepierre; 04-14-2019 at 02:13 AM.
Old 04-14-2019, 07:02 AM
BIG Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 4,684 Likes on 1,862 Posts

Bottom line, just as we rarely cross-shop cars with comparable performance to Corvettes (some Mustangs, some Chryslers / Dodge with Hemis, etc), anyone shopping for a Ferrari/Lamborghini/McLaren won’t be cross-shopping a Corvette. Corvettes don’t have anywhere near the exclusivity factor that the F/L/M cars have. And when cross-shipping Corvettes, those F/L/M buyers run the risk that their equally wealthy friends will laugh at them (some F/L/M buyers care about that, some don’t).

So the next next time someone here thinks that the F/L/M crowd are cross-shopping Corvettes, imagine yourself cross-shopping the latest “Hi-Po” Subaru, Hyundai, Kia, etc. In most cases, it doesn’t happen.
The following 4 users liked this post by BIG Dave:
BEAR-AvHistory (04-14-2019), gthal (04-14-2019), jefnvk (04-15-2019), Nordic_Samurai (04-14-2019)
Old 04-14-2019, 08:33 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

This is a really interesting topic. A lot of great points in here.

This car is going to create a little stir in the market, I believe, and here's why

I agree that those that buy the high end Euro cars are not going to abandon them for a Chevrolet. Those cars are garage bling and status markers for them, and the Corvette is not going to be that. However, for those that like the driving experience, and want a car that they can take to track and thrash it, the Corvette is going to be that car. For those folks, if they can pop for a new $300K to $500K or more exotic, adding a sub $100K "track car" to the stable probably won't be a budget breaker.

For those folks that haven't joined the Corvette fold because they prefer the mid engine experience, and are stuck with the option of finding a used exotic and all the possible headache that 'could' come with that, now they at least have that choice, do I buy a used exotic, or do I buy a new Corvette? A parallel performance experience without the added expense risk might be a compelling temptation for this group.

Point is, this car is going to be 'driver's' car. I think that we can rest easy in that GM is going keep that formula of parallel performance, if not better, for a bargain price compared the others. No, it won't be hand built, yes from time to time there may be an 'off' panel gap and some orange peel. No it won't have the ultra exotic materials and feel. But it will be nice, and more importantly, it will satisfy that adrenaline rush 'driver's' seek. Even more importantly, it can be driven anywhere, any time, all the time, without the owner worrying that a mishap, or failure might lead to filing Chapter 7.
The following 5 users liked this post by lt4obsesses:
BEAR-AvHistory (04-15-2019), Gotta-Qik-C7 (04-14-2019), Michael A (05-24-2019), Ronstar (04-16-2019), Telepierre (04-14-2019)
Old 04-14-2019, 08:48 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Hey you just described exotic luxury. I expect what your car does on the track has no meaning for most of them but if it makes you feel good I guess thats OK too.

Trust me a lot of the guys you think are sucking up are the owners of the Vettes. What you are defining as suck-ups are in most cases just guys who like cars regardless of how much or little they cost. Not really sure what the Vette crowd is. Are they the guys the Dodge owners suck-up too or maybe the Mustang owners when they check out a StingRay?

Then again a 203MPH Dodge Demon is most likely faster then most Corvettes. Do they get a pass with the Corvette crowd because they are faster or are they called clown cars?

Some really strange attitudes here considering many exotic owners also own Corvettes. Guess its the reason people have houses with 4 & 5 garage bays.

Funny but you see the same stuff over on the Acura TLX form where many foam at the mouth over the German cars being perceived as luxury cars & the TLX getting left out
i agree. And as to why everyone is looking at the exotics, the answer is incredibly simple. On any given weekend you can go to a grocery store, gas station, fast food restaurant etc and see all the Corvettes you want to see. But you will likely go for months without seeing a true “exotic” out in public.
marlowemar (04-20-2019)
Old 04-14-2019, 05:21 PM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

? We?....are you an official spokesperson?

Not the least hateful of any make and brand. I have stated multiple times the 911 is the only remaining quintessential "classic" car, well built and arguably (depending on model) one the most sexy "butts/rears" ever designed. Come the right age and attitude I can see myself easily strolling around on weekends with my wife in a nice used 911 for leisure driving (maybe). I am also of the opinion the car does not belong in the top five of the regular street sport performance echelon. They are marketing-stretching the platform and IMHO their clever efforts are becoming increasingly evident.

I'll admit, as a test engineer I have a strong dislike for deceptive advertising especially when pursued by slight of hand "cheating". Most of the time it backfires.

This is a classic and wordy rationalization of cheating. "I do it because everybody does it" which in comparative testing is BS!
Additionally you are also intentionally attempting to diminish the effort (in this case) by rationalizing the effect of the cheating as being small and therefore negligible. Noted.

Your request for source is rather laughable, 2017-2019...where have you been!? Magazine world?

You can easily find the whole thing by simple google search on Porsche forums, this CF forum (see Ring threads/ N.A Porsche VP statements) and most importantly track forums especially the German ones. All of it! The CUP 2 R disguise, the OEM fiasco and so on and so on.

Back to track reality, I actually I find it ironic the real "enemy" of the Porsche GT cars is really the McLaren PDR installed on Z06s with their live accounts of what happens when they encounter STOCK Porsche GT cars...

To think that by all accounts of car magazine connoisseurs "they" were supposed to gap all the competition by 30 seconds for each ring lap.... :-)

I wonder what happened?
Links to some examples would be fun...
Old 04-14-2019, 06:10 PM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Not keen on taking the thread off course... and talking P car when it's not otherwise mentioned..
Posting one and the rest can be easily searched:

Serious on the edge..and reading on comments Z06 prevails.. which is really not the point..but I think you understood the point...
Old 04-14-2019, 06:21 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Not keen on taking the thread off course... and talking P car when it's not otherwise mentioned..
Posting one and the rest can be easily searched:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jin7P6CtrFQ

Serious on the edge..and reading on comments Z06 prevails.. which is really not the point..but I think you understood the point...
Not sure I understand the point of the video? Is it to show that the Porsche driver isn't as skilled? Races are meaningless if evaluating cars without equalizing for driver which is impossible to do. A great driver in far lesser car could pass the GT2 without a good driver (not saying the Z06 is a lesser car but you get my point). Anyway, video isn't really useful.
The following 3 users liked this post by gthal:
BEAR-AvHistory (04-14-2019), isellpower (04-19-2019), JMLS (04-14-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To CNBC: 2020 Corvette C8 targets Ferrari and McLaren...

Old 04-14-2019, 06:30 PM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Not sure I understand the point of the video? Is it to show that the Porsche driver isn't as skilled? Races are meaningless if evaluating cars without equalizing for driver which is impossible to do. A great driver in far lesser car could pass the GT2 without a good driver (not saying the Z06 is a lesser car but you get my point). Anyway, video isn't really useful.
Maybe the Porsche driver is more skilled and it wasn't enough to overcome the car's deficiencies?
Old 04-14-2019, 06:34 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Originally Posted by pdiddy972
Maybe the Porsche driver is more skilled and it wasn't enough to overcome the car's deficiencies?
True!! The point is, no one can tell either way so you can't use it as a way to compare the car itself. Driver makes a WAY bigger difference than car... well, if it was a Civic and a Z06, driver may not matter then

Last edited by gthal; 04-14-2019 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-14-2019, 07:05 PM
pdiddy972
Race Director

True!! The point is, no one can tell either way so you can't use it as a way to compare the car itself. Driver makes a WAY bigger difference than car... well, if it was a Civic and a Z06, driver may not matter then
Right - So, since we know nothing about each driver's capabilities, we'll just go with what we see, a Corvette beating up a GT2.

Quick Reply: CNBC: 2020 Corvette C8 targets Ferrari and McLaren...