Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lingenfelter or Callaway?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 10:03 PM
AEmedic
Burning Brakes

Received 243 Likes on 131 Posts

Default Lingenfelter or Callaway?

Like most, I am excited to order a new C8. Without knowing what exactly will be available or when it will be available, this might not be a factor. Let's assume, what is most likely, will be available first, the base C8.

It might be completely capable in its base form, but, after owning it for awhile, the horsepower of the higher performance versions will be a big draw. Is it likely Lingenfelter or Callaway will offer packages for the base C8 that would be an alternative to buying into a different model?

Popular Reply

05-06-2019, 10:22 PM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Received 738 Likes on 419 Posts

Anything is possible... Thanks, and stay tuned...

www.callawaycars.com
info@callawaycars.com
Old 05-06-2019, 10:22 PM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Anything is possible... Thanks, and stay tuned...

www.callawaycars.com
info@callawaycars.com
The following 8 users liked this post by Callaway Chris:
AEmedic (05-06-2019), BIG Dave (01-22-2021), favrefan2k4 (05-09-2019), Kodiak Bear (07-27-2019), MrBrightside (07-28-2019), rcooper (07-29-2019), Ryan R (05-06-2019), spireland (07-27-2019) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-06-2019, 11:46 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Received 647 Likes on 510 Posts

Callaway Chris, how does it work on a c7z... lets say a person goes to a 757 package, but lets say they are at the end of their factory warranty... does the callaway warranty provide an extended warranty from the date of install, or does the car still run out of warranty when the factory warranty expires?
Old 05-07-2019, 01:26 AM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

Received 794 Likes on 307 Posts

Juuust gonna go ahead and say that perhaps just hold out for GM's inevitable hi-po offerings. I just don't see the appeal of sending my car away for an extended period of time to a tuning shop for a canned package that seriously overpowers the rest of the tires, suspension, and who knows what else. I guess its one way to differentiate yourself at the Corvette meets, but then does it matter who is bolting parts to your car?

It would be nice to see one of these tuners actually build the car to handle the power they claim. Honestly the only shop I'd let work on my car would be Katech...but they are actually known for building race cars...not souped up trailer queens. If I decide against the C8 Z06 (or whatever it may be called) and opt for a base C8, I have my heart set upon Katech's 7.0L all motor 700+ horswpower motor and all the goodies I can get to make the car handle it.
Old 05-07-2019, 05:48 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermassive
Juuust gonna go ahead and say that perhaps just hold out for GM's inevitable hi-po offerings. I just don't see the appeal of sending my car away for an extended period of time to a tuning shop for a canned package that seriously overpowers the rest of the tires, suspension, and who knows what else. I guess its one way to differentiate yourself at the Corvette meets, but then does it matter who is bolting parts to your car?

It would be nice to see one of these tuners actually build the car to handle the power they claim. Honestly the only shop I'd let work on my car would be Katech...but they are actually known for building race cars...not souped up trailer queens. If I decide against the C8 Z06 (or whatever it may be called) and opt for a base C8, I have my heart set upon Katech's 7.0L all motor 700+ horswpower motor and all the goodies I can get to make the car handle it.
while much of what you say is true with a good aftermarket ecm with capable traction control and boost by speed even a high hp car can be made very tractable. the more modern ecms are more of a hassle but I'm sure the new platform will also unlock some newfound traction being mid engine which steps up the HP and performance game

both tuners are going to produce some very solid products that are engineered to perform.

having driven my both the callaway and LPE stuff I'll just say "both solid choices"

both these companies have a strong commitment to building on the stock foundation with good tuning or stepping it up if you want more with forged bottom ends

Lots of tuning options, I'm waiting for the TT car myself as I like the torq swell of a solid turbo car and the boost by speed allows getting more of the big numbers to the ground in a controllable way

GM needs to step up the torq management programming a bit and it would unlock performance for less experienced shoes

it's hard to control much over 600 torq at the wheels without some solid skills or help from the computer nannies spinning ain't winning
The following 2 users liked this post by Rkreigh:
AEmedic (05-07-2019), Mikec7z (05-07-2019)
Old 05-07-2019, 07:49 AM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,373 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Different strokes for different folks. I build my crap myself so I know exactly where the corners were cut. Actually in my case it ends up being you have a 1500 hp capable bottom and top end running at 500 hp or so. But it'll live forever and I could throw like a 600 shot at it (kidding) if I so choose lol. It ain't built right if you don't know exactly what went into it. Katech, Callaway and lingenfelter are all excellent companies.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:05 AM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

Received 729 Likes on 418 Posts

I have a SC606 2010 GS convert Callaway. It has been a fantastic car and everything about my experience with Callaway has been “First Class”. Despite having a C7 ZR1, still enjoy driving this car.. and it moves. can’t speak for Lingenfelter, but have heard good things about them. I would go Callaway again from my personal experience.

Last edited by Rinaldo Catria; 05-07-2019 at 09:05 AM.
The following 8 users liked this post by Rinaldo Catria:
AEmedic (05-07-2019), bgspot (05-07-2019), jamesampm (05-09-2019), khartford (01-25-2021), purple heart (05-09-2019), SLWRNU (05-07-2019), trooper (07-27-2019), vetteman41960 (05-07-2019) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-07-2019, 12:15 PM
bgspot
Burning Brakes

Received 285 Likes on 159 Posts

^Always loved that Callaway hood on the C6
Old 05-07-2019, 12:23 PM
marknagy13
Pro

Received 1,115 Likes on 329 Posts

I can't speak for either of those companies, but there will always be aftermarket companies that will modify American v8s. I'm sure there will be superchargers and other things coming out very quickly.
If the engine is some version of the LT1 (LT2) then it will be even quicker.

Last edited by marknagy13; 05-07-2019 at 12:24 PM.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:32 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,167 Likes on 5,991 Posts

Are two of the most reputable, longest-term, tuners in the industry going to tune the new model? Does a bear **** in the woods?
The following 5 users liked this post by RapidC84B:
AEmedic (05-07-2019), jefnvk (05-07-2019), Mikec7z (05-07-2019), purple heart (05-09-2019), ZeroDark30 (07-27-2019)
Old 05-07-2019, 01:53 PM
vetteman41960
Burning Brakes

Received 1,051 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
Are two of the most reputable, longest-term, tuners in the industry going to tune the new model? Does a bear **** in the woods?
If history hold true only Callaway will be sold through GM dealership with a full GM warranty.

I have a 2016 SC757 Z07 and I am very happy with the car.

Had some major warranty issue with needed the engine replaced at 700 miles and was very pleased with GM/Callaway warranty.

They pulled an entire engine of the assy line at BG and sent to dealership and Callaway handled directly with the dealer the swap to the Callaway supercharger and other componets.

Was painless process with no questionsuccess asked by either GM or Callaway.

Like I said they even followed my request to pull another hand built complete engine of the assembly line so that it was not replaced with a non Z07 HAND BUILT engine.
The following 3 users liked this post by vetteman41960:
Mikec7z (05-07-2019), RapidC84B (05-07-2019), Zaro Tundov (05-08-2019)
Old 05-08-2019, 01:05 PM
RedMercy
Instructor

Received 163 Likes on 74 Posts

I like keeping my cars stock. So I’ll probably just wait for some hipo version. Who am I kidding... I’m broke. By the time I can afford a corvette we’ll be on the c9 z06...
Old 05-08-2019, 01:42 PM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Mikec7z
Callaway Chris, how does it work on a c7z... lets say a person goes to a 757 package, but lets say they are at the end of their factory warranty... does the callaway warranty provide an extended warranty from the date of install, or does the car still run out of warranty when the factory warranty expires?

Great question. Here's the weblink with info:
https://www.callawaycars.com/homepag...ranty-program/

But in a nutshell, the powertrain warranty follows from the original date of in-service. So if the car comes to us one year old and with 6k mi, it has 24 months and 30k mi left on the powertrain coverage, which can be extended to 5 years or 60k mi from new.

Now, there's also a general component warranty on all we install, covering you against defects in workmanship and materials, but that's different than powertrain coverage.

It's important to note, Callaway Cars is THE ONLY COMPANY which has a warranty on the powertrain that supplements the GM Coverage on pertain that remains in-effect and un-blocked. Nobody else can honestly say that.

Learn more at: www.callawaycars.com
info@callawaycars.com

Thanks.
The following 7 users liked this post by Callaway Chris:
AEmedic (05-08-2019), Kodiak Bear (07-27-2019), LIStingray (05-10-2019), Mikec7z (05-08-2019), nvusgt (07-31-2019), purple heart (05-09-2019), SurfnSun (07-27-2019) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-08-2019, 01:56 PM
AEmedic
Burning Brakes

Received 243 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Callaway Chris
Great question. Here's the weblink with info:
https://www.callawaycars.com/homepag...ranty-program/

But in a nutshell, the powertrain warranty follows from the original date of in-service. So if the car comes to us one year old and with 6k mi, it has 24 months and 30k mi left on the powertrain coverage, which can be extended to 5 years or 60k mi from new.

Now, there's also a general component warranty on all we install, covering you against defects in workmanship and materials, but that's different than powertrain coverage.

It's important to note, Callaway Cars is THE ONLY COMPANY which has a warranty on the powertrain that supplements the GM Coverage on pertain that remains in-effect and un-blocked. Nobody else can honestly say that.

Learn more at: www.callawaycars.com
info@callawaycars.com

Thanks.
You guys are likely the route I will go. I have a deposit at Kerbeck, it's just a matter of what you offer right out of the gate.
The following users liked this post:
Callaway Chris (05-09-2019)
Old 05-08-2019, 03:31 PM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RedMercy
I like keeping my cars stock. So I’ll probably just wait for some hipo version. Who am I kidding... I’m broke. By the time I can afford a corvette we’ll be on the c9 z06...
I've grown out of adding power to my cars...well Corvettes at least, I am trying to get back into track days, AutoX, and I would love to one day get into HPDE, so I have quite a ways to go before I can honestly say that I need more power to be faster on a racetrack. I'm bit gonna knock people who buy kits from tuners, some people just don't have the capability to do the work themselves and those tuner shops have been doing well for their customers.

That said, it would be pretty cool if there was a company that would do what Callaway or LPE does for engines, but do it for the handling aspect of the car.
Old 05-08-2019, 03:53 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,167 Likes on 5,991 Posts

I've grown out of adding power to my cars...well Corvettes at least, I am trying to get back into track days, AutoX, and I would love to one day get into HPDE, so I have quite a ways to go before I can honestly say that I need more power to be faster on a racetrack. I'm bit gonna knock people who buy kits from tuners, some people just don't have the capability to do the work themselves and those tuner shops have been doing well for their customers.

That said, it would be pretty cool if there was a company that would do what Callaway or LPE does for engines, but do it for the handling aspect of the car.
1. Stop waiting... go HPDE now. The car needs nothing, get a helmet, use the OEM belt cinch feature and go.

2. You don't need more power... period. Been doing this stuff 20 years and it's the modded cars that are in the paddock with issues or on the trailer early. GM will warranty the car on track too.

3. Plenty of tuners, but again, car doesn't need it if it's a Z51/GS/Z06. A base car could benefit from shocks and Z51 bars, but that's about it.
The following 3 users liked this post by RapidC84B:
Foosh (05-11-2019), illmac77 (05-10-2019), MDmotorman (02-20-2021)
Old 05-08-2019, 04:35 PM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
1. Stop waiting... go HPDE now. The car needs nothing, get a helmet, use the OEM belt cinch feature and go.

2. You don't need more power... period. Been doing this stuff 20 years and it's the modded cars that are in the paddock with issues or on the trailer early. GM will warranty the car on track too.

3. Plenty of tuners, but again, car doesn't need it if it's a Z51/GS/Z06. A base car could benefit from shocks and Z51 bars, but that's about it.
As much as I would love to get into HPDE, I am currently Corvette-less. My current ride is a VW Passat for commuting my *** to work so I can buy the C8 in a couple years. I have thought about getting my hands on something like a beater S2000 (I say beater, but I really mean just high mileage in decent condition) that I can get up to proverbial speed with and easily maintain, but that would eat into my C8 plans.

So right now I am biding my time, and anxiously awaiting the reveal, and then the subsequent Z06 (or equivalent) reveal, which is when I'll make my purchase decision.

I also need to ensure that I have a suitable amount of money to afford the running costs at track days and HPDE events, tires are certainly the most expensive item I need to account for when considering track consumables, but there is also brake pads, fluids, and I need a new helmet as well, since my old helmet is coming up on 10 years old...which is bad. Needless to say, I have a plan to get my *** back on track, but the waiting is taking forever.
RapidC84B (05-08-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Lingenfelter or Callaway?

Old 05-08-2019, 07:10 PM
vettpapaw
Melting Slicks

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts

I’ve been to Calloways shop in Connecticut, people were very friendly and shop is unbelievable!!
Namcie (12-31-2021)
Old 05-09-2019, 06:32 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

When you see a stock block super charged car pulling 10s with over 230k miles on it, I'd say that's some solid engineering on the part of callaway and GM

Chris how many miles are on that bad boy now? That old dog pulls hard and represents the value I'm looking for, lots of smiles to the miles

while it's true that lots of modded cars end up on the sidelines, that's not the case when it's built right.

I've ridden around in the 7xx hp models and I can say they both get with the program without any real worries other than how many rear tires will you melt

too much hp claim is for those that don't learn to control it well The modern platforms put the power down pretty well even at the big numbers.

Helpful on the longer tracks to show tail lights and braking and handling upgrades are of course available.

stock is for those satisfied at that performance level These cars perform well above that without much in the way of compromise other than cost

they work pretty well all things considered.
Mikec7z (05-10-2019)
Old 05-09-2019, 12:20 PM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Rkreigh
When you see a stock block super charged car pulling 10s with over 230k miles on it, I'd say that's some solid engineering on the part of callaway and GM

Chris how many miles are on that bad boy now? That old dog pulls hard and represents the value I'm looking for, lots of smiles to the miles

while it's true that lots of modded cars end up on the sidelines, that's not the case when it's built right.

I've ridden around in the 7xx hp models and I can say they both get with the program without any real worries other than how many rear tires will you melt

too much hp claim is for those that don't learn to control it well The modern platforms put the power down pretty well even at the big numbers.

Helpful on the longer tracks to show tail lights and braking and handling upgrades are of course available.

stock is for those satisfied at that performance level These cars perform well above that without much in the way of compromise other than cost

they work pretty well all things considered.

2010 Callaway Corvette @ 277,000 miles, and going...
The following 5 users liked this post by Callaway Chris:
AEmedic (05-09-2019), bigsapper (07-29-2019), CallawayTom (05-09-2019), Mikec7z (05-10-2019), SurfnSun (05-11-2019)

Quick Reply: Lingenfelter or Callaway?