Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will C8.R finally enter the world stage of endurance racing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 06:35 AM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 400 Posts
Default Will C8.R finally enter the world stage of endurance racing?

With the mid engine C8, will C8R FINALLY enter into global competition in road racing? The factory team of Pratt/Miller has been limited to IMSA with the only exception being LeMans, which takes place next weekend. FORD has run 2 cars in IMSA and 2 cars in WEC for years now.

I for one am hoping that GM gets it's act together, takes some of the money away from NASCAR support and gives it to Pratt/Miller to come up with a team that runs both IMSA and on the world stage outside of just LeMans.
The following 6 users liked this post by Mcrider:
ArmchairArchitect (06-08-2019), dreamr616 (06-08-2019), LLK (06-09-2019), Raid1 (06-09-2019), Shaka (06-08-2019), snow (06-09-2019) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-08-2019, 08:03 AM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

Agreed, while Le Mans is the top endurance race in the world, I'd like to see them do more. Didn't they expand the C7-R to races in Asia this past year, and ADAC GT Masters races?

Last edited by ArmchairArchitect; 06-08-2019 at 08:05 AM.
Old 06-08-2019, 08:24 AM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Would be nice but IMHO does not makes sense economically. Chevrolet/Corvette pulled out of the markets keen on F1 and WEC. Furthermore, it is unclear whether Chevrolet will pursue very costly "world-wide" homologations such as the new EU emissions laws and the old curb laws (see ZR1).

Pulling money out of NASCAR no problem. Pulling out money to pursue less ROI may be more problems...
Old 06-08-2019, 09:13 AM
captain vette
Safety Car

Received 1,214 Likes on 793 Posts

Yes too much money in nascar while the C8 could shine internationally
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (06-09-2019)
Old 06-08-2019, 10:44 AM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

Reality is? Chevy is not going to shift money from NASCAR and/or Indy, the two most highly visible racing series in America, to focus on endurance racing. Especially so considering Ford is done after this year in a factory racing role.

Also theres still that pesky 5.5L engine restrictions.
BEAR-AvHistory (06-08-2019)
Old 06-08-2019, 12:28 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by jefnvk
Reality is? Chevy is not going to shift money from NASCAR and/or Indy, the two most highly visible racing series in America, to focus on endurance racing. Especially so considering Ford is done after this year in a factory racing role.
Agreed.

I think Corvette Racing has that covered:

Old 06-08-2019, 12:36 PM
BEAR-AvHistory
Drifting

Received 702 Likes on 467 Posts

Agree on where they spend their marketing money. That said a DOHC would do well in the 5.5L series. Their 2.2L DOHC TT did real well at Indy this year so they certainly understand the technology..
Old 06-08-2019, 12:51 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

I wouldn't be too shocked to see Pratt & Miller (Corvette Racing) try to expand into full WEC and IMSA seasons a la Ganassi w/ the US and UK-based 4 FGTs. Practically, that does require 4 cars to be competitive, and GM would have to write a much bigger check.

On the other hand, Ford is ending their sponsorship after this season, so GM may feel less pressure to expand into WEC. Most likely is that IMSA and WEC will be satisfied to continue with today's format with the two 24-hour cross-over events (Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona and 24 Hours of Le Mans).

Last edited by Foosh; 06-08-2019 at 12:55 PM.
Old 06-08-2019, 01:01 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Perfect place for GM to use their new 2.0L 416 HP Turbo 4 banger. Then there would be room for two golf bags and a large cooler.

Oh, wait....that's a new Mercedes AMG engine. My bad.

Last edited by JoesC5; 06-08-2019 at 01:57 PM.
Old 06-08-2019, 01:57 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

We could, however, just figure out how to make 600+ HP from 4.5L just like Ferrari and several others......
sunsalem (06-09-2019)
Old 06-08-2019, 03:32 PM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

I read somewhere that Asia, especially China is a burgeoning market for American muscle cars and C7R has already raced in China 1x this year, so they have at least dipped their toes in the water there. With the expanding income of the Chinese, it makes sense (to me) that you don't know what's there until you get the car there and for sale.

There isn't going to be a car anywhere in the world that is going to be more world wide press than the new C8. The time to strike is now and put some American horsepower overseas!
Old 06-08-2019, 03:37 PM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Agreed.

I think Corvette Racing has that covered:
Yeah, I know of the race spec engine, I read the original comments as wanting a car that could compete out of the showroom. Could have just misinterpreted the original statements though!
Old 06-08-2019, 03:48 PM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Mcrider
With the mid engine C8, will C8R FINALLY enter into global competition in road racing? The factory team of Pratt/Miller has been limited to IMSA with the only exception being LeMans, which takes place next weekend. FORD has run 2 cars in IMSA and 2 cars in WEC for years now.

I for one am hoping that GM gets it's act together, takes some of the money away from NASCAR support and gives it to Pratt/Miller to come up with a team that runs both IMSA and on the world stage outside of just LeMans.
probably not ready for prime time for awhile....haven't been able to cheer an American victory since FORD did....GM only now gets real perhaps doing it this time.
Old 06-08-2019, 04:51 PM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

One issue I see with C8R (GM) going to the world stage is that they just don't race there. When you compare GTLM in IMSA to going head to head with the dominant forces of endurance racing like Audi, Ferrari, McClaren, Porsche and all the other manufacturers AND that every last of of those mfg's has both factory and private teams, things get difficult in a hurry for any kind of podium finish.

I'm not sure GM/C8R is anywhere near ready for that kind of competition. I would seriously doubt they could become a major player right out of the box, but one would never know until they went for the brass ring.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:27 AM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

I don't see that happening. Also you need to remember even though ford did race two cars in the WEC series, they were not in either series (IMSA &WEC) for the long haul. It was the typical Ford sports car racing deal. Lets build a car designed as a race car go to Le Mans and try and beat Ferrari. neither of the Ford GT's were designed as a street car and that is why they only last a few years in the racing series. The cost of racing in a world wide series such as the WEC id=s very expensive, not saying that IMSA is cheap, but to spend money on two series will most likely hamper the NASCAR and Indy Car series money. Next, GM had a Corvette racing in the GTE Am series for a few years while not a true backing of GM and Pratt & Miller, it was a P&M built car. they would sell the last years car to that team. Callaway also races in Europe in the ADAC GT Masters series and has done really well with a back to back series champion ship with the C7-R GT. they are still racing in that series. I would think that if these two teams were generating more interest in the European car culture GM might spend some money, but if they are not seeing any real interest in Europe they most likely are not going to invest.
Final thought, the mid-engine Corvette will not draw that much attention from those in Europe (and in the US) that purchase the Audi R8, Ferrari 488, or the Lamb. Those people that can afford those and want to be seen in a European car are not about to jump ship for a Chevy.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:59 AM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Doug Fehan has explained a number of times that every region of GM has it's own marketing budget and does what it wishes accordingly. The US marketing team doesn't see any payback for racing internationally beyond Le Mans, so they aren't going to pay for a WEC (or other international series entry). The other regions have not wanted to invest (and with Chevrolet/Corvette not offered in many places in makes sense). As a guess, based on his statements, The Shanghai race last year was not part of the US marketing budget.

It is unlikely you'll see factory backed racing significantly outside of the US. There was a private team that ran a season of the Asian Le Mans series with a C7.R, and Callaway runs GT Masters in their C7 GT3.

Ford went racing with the GTs to win Le Mans. GM goes racing to sell cars.
The following 3 users liked this post by z28lt1:
LLK (06-09-2019), RapidC84B (06-10-2019), Telepierre (06-09-2019)
Old 06-09-2019, 11:16 AM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BWF07
The cost of racing in a world wide series such as the WEC id=s very expensive, not saying that IMSA is cheap, but to spend money on two series will most likely hamper the NASCAR and Indy Car series money. Next, GM had a Corvette racing in the GTE Am series for a few years while not a true backing of GM and Pratt & Miller, it was a P&M built car. they would sell the last years car to that team..

Something to think about. Attendance at NASCAR events is reaching the point of having to go on life support to continue. Teams are dwindling down in numbers and sponsorship money is quickly evaporating. Then there is a major point that NASCAR is for sale.

In America, the only event on the Indy Car circuit that gets any major attention is the Indy 500.

IF the C8 is truly designed to go after the Mercedes/Porsche/McClaren/Audi market, they are going to have to prove they are worthy and honestly, IMSA just doesn't get the job done.
ArmchairArchitect (06-09-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Will C8.R finally enter the world stage of endurance racing?

Old 06-09-2019, 11:54 AM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

Originally Posted by Mcrider
Something to think about. Attendance at NASCAR events is reaching the point of having to go on life support to continue. Teams are dwindling down in numbers and sponsorship money is quickly evaporating. Then there is a major point that NASCAR is for sale.

In America, the only event on the Indy Car circuit that gets any major attention is the Indy 500.

IF the C8 is truly designed to go after the Mercedes/Porsche/McClaren/Audi market, they are going to have to prove they are worthy and honestly, IMSA just doesn't get the job done.
Agreed on NASCAR, and good riddance. There are SO many better types of racing that deserve a mainstream spotlight than silly NASCAR.

And I would love to see the current NASCAR tracks converted to proper tracks to hold such professional events, but also open up for amateur HPDEs.

Last edited by ArmchairArchitect; 06-09-2019 at 11:58 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by ArmchairArchitect:
Foosh (06-09-2019), LLK (06-09-2019), vetteman41960 (06-09-2019)
Old 06-09-2019, 12:06 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

I grew up in NC, and my mother is from Mooresville, NC. I absolutely loved NASCAR as a kid, when they were racing actual modified stock cars, and we were a die-hard Ford family. I understand why it had to change, particularly with regard to safety because deaths were routine in those days. However, it's now so far away from stock car racing, that it just isn't interesting,
Old 06-09-2019, 12:09 PM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

OK..it seems like we are building a quorum...

So I know what Tadge will ask next... IF we go for it, would you pay for it?

Quick Reply: Will C8.R finally enter the world stage of endurance racing?