Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finding that the 2LT is so close to 3LT leather appearance

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 01:09 PM
kratedisease
Melting Slicks

Received 2,088 Likes on 906 Posts

Default Finding that the 2LT is so close to 3LT leather appearance

So, my previous C7 was a 2014 2LT interior. No complaints. But I just bought a 3LT Z06.

And, what I am finding is that even though I always wanted and desired a 3LT full leather dash and panels, like Ferrari and Lambo had when I was younger, I find that the 2LT is so nice that the cost of the 3LT upgrade may not be so appealing or justifiable when I configure my C8, that I have a deposit on.

I really like the 3LT leather enhancements, but to be really honest I have to admit that the 2LT "Pleather" dash was just as visually appealing.

So I am on the wall whether to order my C8 with the full leather 3LT option or just go with the 2LT interior which at a lower cost is such a great value for its appearance.

I like to fully option my Corvette's but money is money, and money never came easy to me. Hard to justify letting the cash go.
The following users liked this post:
firstvettesoon (06-08-2019)
Old 06-08-2019, 01:18 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

We'll just have to see how it goes down. The 2LT/3LT differences changed radically over the C7 run. Today, for the 19 models, the difference in appearance amounts to the glove box color. In the past the differences were much greater. Since the C8 is an all-new interior, we don't even know if they will handle it the same way this time.
The following 2 users liked this post by mschuyler:
f5joe (06-10-2019), mattkilla2015 (06-11-2019)
Old 06-08-2019, 01:40 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

I agree the physical appearance is minimally different, and the only equipment difference is standard NAV/PDR, which really means only PDR. Android Auto/CarPlay have rendered factory nav obsolete.

The leather on 3LT dashes has debonded according to quite a few reports here, so the vinyl dash on the 2LT seems to be more durable over the long run. The actual difference in leather quality is almost undetectable. It's simply not worth the extra money they charge for it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
LimeRay (02-25-2020), rmorin1249 (02-24-2020)
Old 06-08-2019, 02:37 PM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

Received 794 Likes on 307 Posts

Oof, this one hit me close to home. My original deposit on a C7 was in white with the red interior in 2LT. After sitting in a 2LT I was satisfied that i had made a good decision, in the end I backed out of my order and didn't buy my C7 until 2015, where I got a loaded 3LT in Shark Gray. The leather feel is what gets me, appearance is second to the tactile nature of the premium material. Some people are fine with the 2LT mulan leather surfaces, and I would have been too if I never sat in a 3LT. Now I am a 3LT or bust kind of Corvette buyer, its not even an option for me now.

It also didn't hurt that the 3LT package included navigation and PDR...
The following 3 users liked this post by Supermassive:
23/C8Z (02-26-2020), Skid Row Joe (06-09-2019), UsernameProtected (02-26-2020)
Old 06-08-2019, 02:42 PM
RedMercy
Instructor

Received 163 Likes on 74 Posts

Just buy a 2lt and put nicer leather in the aftermarket. It will always look better
Old 06-08-2019, 06:07 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 654 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by kratedisease
I really like the 3LT leather enhancements, but to be really honest I have to admit that the 2LT "Pleather" dash was just as visually appealing.
Leather can be comfortable and pretty, but it isn't a very good material to make cars out of, especially car dashboards. Unnatural acts are required to keep leather from shrinking/cracking/debonding inside super hot, UV-scorched car interiors.

Quality synthetic materials hold up much better.

If I had the choice, I'd get partial-leather seats and nothing else.

Some of the spy shots show what appears to be a light-colored suede center console. Whether synthetic or not, that promises to get dingy-looking fast.
The following 2 users liked this post by torquetube:
ArmchairArchitect (02-25-2020), FringbirdAloha (02-25-2020)
Old 06-09-2019, 12:24 AM
ACCHRM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 45 Posts

Why think about something that hasn't been revealed yet? What if there is no such thing as a 1lt, 2lt or 3lt? What if you only get 2 choices, tripped down or fully loaded? Wait til the car is out! So many pointless threads
The following 3 users liked this post by ACCHRM:
f5joe (06-10-2019), Mark045 (06-09-2019), Skid Row Joe (06-09-2019)
Old 06-09-2019, 12:48 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,002 Likes on 2,889 Posts

I love my C7's 3LT trim level.

Very glad I bought it.👍

Especially the leather.

Originally Posted by Supermassive
Oof, this one hit me close to home. My original deposit on a C7 was in white with the red interior in 2LT. After sitting in a 2LT I was satisfied that i had made a good decision, in the end I backed out of my order and didn't buy my C7 until 2015, where I got a loaded 3LT in Shark Gray. The leather feel is what gets me, appearance is second to the tactile nature of the premium material. Some people are fine with the 2LT mulan leather surfaces, and I would have been too if I never sat in a 3LT. Now I am a 3LT or bust kind of Corvette buyer, its not even an option for me now.

It also didn't hurt that the 3LT package included navigation and PDR...
Yup.

Here too.

I want ALL the bells and whistles on my new Corvettes...

I didn't shop the bottom of the line models.

Not when I'm spending big on a new Corvette !

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 06-11-2019 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 06-09-2019, 12:58 AM
Zora_Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2,017 Likes on 702 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
Yup.

Here too.

I want ALL the bells and whistles on my new Corvettes...

I didn't shop the bottom of the line models.

Not when I'm spending big on a new Corvette !
Exactly. Not sure how people can put up with base models. You're buying a brand new Corvette, spend a little extra and load it up!
Skid Row Joe (06-09-2019)
Old 06-09-2019, 08:00 AM
kratedisease
Melting Slicks

I understand people who want only the 3LT. Corvette is a luxury purchase.

I'm just saying that I don't see a huge difference between the 2LT and 3LT dash in appearance, and additionally since I street park my Vette daily and it sits in snow and hot sun all day, I think the 2LT is a better option. Less worry about leather issues from extreme heat and extreme cold.

In my situation, where my car is NOT garaged ever, I think the 2LT is better since it is stronger material less affected in extreme weather. If I had the car garaged I 100% would rather have a 3LT.

and visually they look quite similar

Just sayin'

Originally Posted by ACCHRM
Why think about something that hasn't been revealed yet? What if there is no such thing as a 1lt, 2lt or 3lt? What if you only get 2 choices, tripped down or fully loaded? Wait til the car is out! So many pointless threads
of course its pointless. Its just a discussion. 90% of the discussions I have with my wife are also pointless, but we still have them.

Ok, then for the sake of having a point..... lets say I wanted to buy a C7 before ordering closes soon.

LT2 or LT3 ?

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 06-11-2019 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 06-09-2019, 08:38 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Yup.
Here too. I want ALL the bells and whistles on my new Corvettes.I didn't shop the bottom of the line models. Not when I'm spending big on a new Corvette !
Originally Posted by Zora_Vette
Exactly. Not sure how people can put up with base models. You're buying a brand new Corvette, spend a little extra and load it up!
I see it as more to go wrong, and additional distractions for the driver (as if there weren't too many already). I like to focus on other traffic and the road when I'm driving.

Ok, then for the sake of having a point..... lets say I wanted to buy a C7 before ordering closes soon. LT2 or LT3 ?
Personally, I'd choose a 1LT again. The car I used at Spring Mountain was a 3LT, and there wasn't anything about it I preferred to my 1LT.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:42 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

I love my C7's 3LT trim level.

Very glad I bought it.��

Especially the leather.
I could have sworn you said you got 3LT for "free," citing the deep discount on the car you found that had been sitting on a lot for a long time and was the previous MY. I would agree if you can pick one up for a 20% or more off MSRP discount, why not.

The point here is that the sales numbers show pretty clearly that most folks didn't not perceive the $10K premium to be worth what you got for that price. And, generally speaking, it's the most highly-optioned units at all dealerships that usually end up being the most deeply discounted once they don't move.

Last edited by Foosh; 06-09-2019 at 10:57 AM.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:53 AM
UsernameProtected
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 248 Posts

I understand people who want only the 3LT. Corvette is a luxury purchase.

I'm just saying that I don't see a huge difference between the 2LT and 3LT dash in appearance, and additionally since I street park my Vette daily and it sits in snow and hot sun all day, I think the 2LT is a better option. Less worry about leather issues from extreme heat and extreme cold.

In my situation, where my car is NOT garaged ever, I think the 2LT is better since it is stronger material less affected in extreme weather. If I had the car garaged I 100% would rather have a 3LT.

and visually they look quite similar

Just sayin'
No garage? To each their own, but personally I wouldn't even buy a 1LT if I had to park it in the street.
carriccp (02-24-2020)
Old 06-09-2019, 11:46 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by UsernameProtected
No garage? To each their own, but personally I wouldn't even buy a 1LT if I had to park it in the street.
A Corvette will hold up to the elements about as well as any other GM car (even better in some ways), and it's not like a C7 is irreplaceable...

I wonder how much difference it would make in resale value if a 5-year-old Corvette had been kept outside, versus in a garage? My guess is that it wouldn't be much.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 06-09-2019 at 11:47 AM.
Old 06-09-2019, 12:17 PM
kratedisease
Melting Slicks

But, really, the focus of topic is my opinion that the 2LT looks very close to the 3LT in appearance.

And, since there is not much visual difference, my point is that, FOR ME, the added price of the 3LT does not have much appeal since visually the 2LT is so good. Thats all. Thats the focus.
Old 06-09-2019, 12:47 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,002 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
I could have sworn you said you got 3LT for "free," citing the deep discount on the car you found that had been sitting on a lot for a long time and was the previous MY. I would agree if you can pick one up for a 20% or more off MSRP discount, why not.

The point here is that the sales numbers show pretty clearly that most folks didn't not perceive the $10K premium to be worth what you got for that price. And, generally speaking, it's the most highly-optioned units at all dealerships that usually end up being the most deeply discounted once they don't move.
It was free considering the massive discount of -20% off MSRP I received from Mac Haik Chevrolet in Houston, Texas. But you and others already knew that. I got much larger discount than many here received from their Chev. dealer. I'm proudly resounding the joys of owning a 3LT and the upgraded leather is no small part of it.

But, really, BTW
, the focus of topic is my opinion that the 2LT looks very close to the 3LT in appearance.

And, since there is not much visual difference, my point is that, FOR ME, the added price of the 3LT does not have much appeal since visually the 2LT is so good. Thats all. Thats the focus.
That's a great position to have, but put yourself in my shoes. I ran across a new 3lt, C7 equipped almost exactly as I would have ordered it All at -20% MSRP. Was I seriously supposed to not buy
it? There is a huge difference in the leather FWIW.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 06-11-2019 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Merged Posts - Please use the Multi Quote button to respond to multiple people in a single response.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:40 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

What sold me on the 3LT was when I was in the showroom with a 2 LT next to a 3LT. The 3 had a very strong leather smell compared to the 2. My 15 3 LT still has a leather smell which I love.

(Even though my name and avatar is canine I do have a human nose).
Skid Row Joe (06-10-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Finding that the 2LT is so close to 3LT leather appearance

Old 06-10-2019, 11:11 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,165 Likes on 5,989 Posts

After seeing countless 3LT dashes with the leather separated, I will never buy one. My C7 is 2LT and perfectly find for me.
btorlv (02-24-2020)
Old 06-10-2019, 12:56 PM
gbmidyear66
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

No, I disagree with this. I have a 2LT, after <15K Miles the console lid had permanent indentations and the leather was misshapen. I swapped the lid for a 3LT lid and it has stood up so far with no issues. Now, I wouldn't pay an extra $3K for a better console lid - but there is a difference in the materials quality.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:57 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,165 Likes on 5,989 Posts

Originally Posted by gbmidyear66
No, I disagree with this. I have a 2LT, after <15K Miles the console lid had permanent indentations and the leather was misshapen. I swapped the lid for a 3LT lid and it has stood up so far with no issues. Now, I wouldn't pay an extra $3K for a better console lid - but there is a difference in the materials quality.
That has nothing to do with the leather. The foam/console lid was a known defect across all trim levels. GM changed construction at some point and came out with a new part with more durable foam/glue. There's an "Ask Tadge" post about all that.

Quick Reply: Finding that the 2LT is so close to 3LT leather appearance