Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette, be it mid-engine, Zora, or whatever form it may take.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Final side scoop design

Old 07-10-2019, 06:27 AM
Vettrocious
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 438 Likes on 243 Posts
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

If you try to attach some trim piece on that pointed edge, (a trim piece like the one Chaz drew above), its going to break off the first time someone opens the door into another car, or alternatively, that sharp point is going to badly damage the car next to it or maim the passenger when he/she tried to get in. As an old GM body designer, I seriously doubt GM would take that chance.

In any case, the contour of the door at the edge is shown below, drawn in white. My guess is that there is no trim piece, that the door is actually shaped like that, leading to some sort of scooped indentation in the quarter. I see no further point in arguing about this, though, I'm not going to try to convince you guys of anything here; it doesn't matter, the car will be out in a few days.

Tool, try to refrain from getting in a last dig and saying I'm wrong again. You seem to enjoy that, but it's childish. I may be wrong, but so might you, neither of us know today. Please leave it at that. You'll have a good idea whose right and wrong on the 18th, maybe you should avoid your all-knowing claims until then.

Mike

Last edited by Vettrocious; 07-10-2019 at 06:32 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Vettrocious:
Ammo (07-11-2019), John T (07-11-2019), vettesweetnos (07-14-2019), vndkshn (07-15-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 06:54 AM
CRABBYJ
CF Senior Member

Received 560 Likes on 336 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by GM5778 View Post
I've been thinking for awhile that the C8 will have a split window. The first revolutionary change for Corvette was the C1 change to C2, which was as we all know the 63' Split Window Sting Ray. I think this surprise might be a one year only 2020 split window.
Originally Posted by rikhek View Post
I seriously doubt the lawyers would allow a split window. Too many potential lawsuits for impaired visibility.
One of the nicest details on the C7 is the logos on the rear hatch glass. What if they did something similar by either etching or installing a unique window defroster design to look like the ‘63 split window. Subtle, discrete and translucent. Lawyers would...

But with the homage to Zora we expect with the C8, I doubt this as he hated the split window concept but didn’t have the pull to stop it on the ‘63 C2.

Last edited by CRABBYJ; 07-10-2019 at 07:07 AM.
The following users liked this post:
firstvettesoon (07-10-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 02:42 PM
yellowmnm
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

This is more like the design I can see a C8 Corvette looking like!
Old 07-11-2019, 03:12 PM
1SG_Ret
CF Senior Member

Received 293 Likes on 201 Posts

IMO any bulge extending from the side of the car is "fail". Integration is key IMO.
CorvettoBrando (07-11-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 03:16 PM
Big Lebowski
CF Senior Member

Received 543 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettrocious View Post
Iím probably wrong, but the tape location tells me that the scoop is like this. The plastic ďbladeĒ is just there because the options list says thereís one...

Gawd, I hope not. This looks like a Toyota Scoop on an MR2.
The following 5 users liked this post by Big Lebowski:
JockItch (07-11-2019), LuisZ51 (07-11-2019), Tool Hoarder (07-11-2019), Twin6s (07-15-2019), WalterSobchak (07-11-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 06:00 PM
John T
CF Senior Member

Received 263 Likes on 142 Posts

If you try to attach some trim piece on that pointed edge, (a trim piece like the one Chaz drew above), its going to break off the first time someone opens the door into another car, or alternatively, that sharp point is going to badly damage the car next to it or maim the passenger when he/she tried to get in. As an old GM body designer, I seriously doubt GM would take that chance.

In any case, the contour of the door at the edge is shown below, drawn in white. My guess is that there is no trim piece, that the door is actually shaped like that, leading to some sort of scooped indentation in the quarter. I see no further point in arguing about this, though, I'm not going to try to convince you guys of anything here; it doesn't matter, the car will be out in a few days.

Tool, try to refrain from getting in a last dig and saying I'm wrong again. You seem to enjoy that, but it's childish. I may be wrong, but so might you, neither of us know today. Please leave it at that. You'll have a good idea whose right and wrong on the 18th, maybe you should avoid your all-knowing claims until then.

Mike

Vettro, I like your style and your scoop.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:08 PM
Suns_PSD
CF Senior Member

Received 310 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by JockItch View Post
Im seeing a side scoop with sharp, angular lines to match the style of rear design we already know is legit. The general shape looks to mimic the Aria side scoop many are fond of, I believe the lines of the C8 scoop will have sharper creases instead to match the rear design. Iím liking what Iím seeing.

That's gorgeous.
The following 4 users liked this post by Suns_PSD:
khartford (07-16-2019), kratedisease (07-11-2019), vettesweetnos (07-14-2019), WalterSobchak (07-11-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 08:22 PM
warp10c7

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why do y'all think the mules are the final production design.. If I recall they were all Born more than 12 months ago.. most likely on Soft tooling .. I bet not all of them are made alike..
Old 07-11-2019, 08:24 PM
kratedisease
CF Senior Member

Received 229 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
That's gorgeous.

That would be an awesome C8 ZR1
Old 07-11-2019, 08:53 PM
JerseyJack

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts

I bet that scoop is further back altogether. What were seeing is camouflage to throw us all off and I'm not talking about the wrap...

Last edited by JerseyJack; 07-12-2019 at 12:20 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:56 PM
Vettrocious
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 438 Likes on 243 Posts
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by John T View Post
Vettro, I like your style and your scoop.
Thanks, here's a scoop version shown on a body side whose lines actually match the profile of the door at the opening, with a nod to FVS for stealing a bit of his scoop shape.

The following 2 users liked this post by Vettrocious:
John T (07-12-2019), TRT SR (07-11-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 08:57 PM
LuisZ51
CF Senior Member

Received 223 Likes on 131 Posts

You guys seen this one yet? If so my apologies.

Old 07-12-2019, 12:38 AM
Ammo
CF Senior Member

Received 171 Likes on 134 Posts

Thanks, here's a scoop version shown on a body side whose lines actually match the profile of the door at the opening, with a nod to FVS for stealing a bit of his scoop shape.

I tend to agree. See pict below. the area in red marked by the A is all fake. The area B is body panels curved to fit the openings to the real scoop in the area by the letter C, All behind the door.
Old 07-12-2019, 12:43 AM
Ammo
CF Senior Member

Received 171 Likes on 134 Posts

If you removed the area / leading edge of the current scoop shown with the black squiggly lines you would just about see the real deal as depicted in the above picture by Vettrocious

Old 07-14-2019, 06:01 PM
B747VET
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 149 Likes on 64 Posts

The Aria is beautiful, but seems to have a drastically different design which enables the merger of door and rear shroud to flow and likely work. If the camo job is hiding that type of intricately beautiful design, then maybe the winglet is really there. But that would take one heck of a camo job. Either that or the door and the rear inlet section are totally different on the real C8 than on the camo treated mules? But I would really doubt that as a possibility.

With all due respect, because none of us really does know, I would like to ask a question. Assuming the rear intake shroud is really there which I do believe, what is the purpose of the little flying wing that many folks keep insisting is on the door?

1. It cleverly masks a door handle as some have proposed early on? To what other purpose? There are other ways to optimize a minimized door handle/ actuator.
2. It has an aerodynamic purpose to optimize airflow? Logic would dictate that it likely has just the opposite effect, which a wind tunnel smoke flow test would most likely show.
3. It is purely cosmetic even though it would likely disturb airflow into the intake shroud and create a turbulent flow. If so, is that worth a mere cosmetic effect on such a sophisticated car?
4. Why take the risk of potentially exposing the C8 door to impact damage with an adjacent vehicle? Put another way, what specific gain makes that risk worthwhile?
5. It is a camo distractor that isn’t really there on the actual C8 door at all? Of all the possibilities above, this seems to be a reasonably logical explanation.

Not saying I’m right at all. I’m just saying that it should probably have a purpose beyond cosmetics and I’m having trouble seeing myself sitting in a design session and justifying why I would favor the flying winglet.

So so for anyone who believes it really is there, which it well may be, how would you have justified it and sold it to your GM bosses?

Last edited by B747VET; 07-14-2019 at 07:17 PM.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:38 AM
Tool Hoarder
CF Senior Member

Received 2,646 Likes on 1,378 Posts

I see a lot of similarity between the C8 we're getting and the Aria, but the Aria isn't sexy. It looks like a movie prop car. The C8 we're getting looks like a Corvette, like a shark/animal. It has more emotion.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:58 AM
Matt kemp

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Prediction

I predict the side scoop ultimately will have the same profile as the window. There is always a little piece of camo at the end of the glass that discusses the entire window profile.
CorvettoBrando (07-16-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 11:09 AM
Tool Hoarder
CF Senior Member

Received 2,646 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt kemp View Post
I predict the side scoop ultimately will have the same profile as the window. There is always a little piece of camo at the end of the glass that discusses the entire window profile.
Nah... it'll match the metal on each steering wheel stalk.

Old 07-15-2019, 12:46 PM
Matt kemp

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder View Post
Nah... it'll match the metal on each steering wheel stalk.

Hhmmmm, thatís interesting I see some similarities.
Old 07-15-2019, 12:55 PM
7 Speed Rowing

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I hope it is more like this!
Nicely done!

Last edited by 7 Speed Rowing; 07-15-2019 at 12:56 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Final side scoop design

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: