Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who made this render?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 04:29 PM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by IronV

Remind you of anything?
That big open mouth reminds me of the openings on each corner of the nose cone on the current ZR1 (though I've always said the openings look like a largemouth bass with its wide mouth open). I'll wait until Thursday night to see if the whale shark above has any similarity to the C8 besides the temporary camo. I hope it doesn't.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:59 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by Oneslackr
That big open mouth reminds me of the openings on each corner of the nose cone on the current ZR1 (though I've always said the openings look like a largemouth bass with its wide mouth open). I'll wait until Thursday night to see if the whale shark above has any similarity to the C8 besides the temporary camo. I hope it doesn't.

How do you figure it has a big open mouth? The center deflector take up the entire middle.

Is the a big big open mouth too? If so... I agree and you can give yours to me! ; )

Last edited by firstvettesoon; 07-15-2019 at 07:00 PM.
Old 07-17-2019, 12:10 AM
Futurevision
Cruising

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the Auto Bild renders are going to prove to be accurate, at least for the “base” model—which is about all we can really expect to see on Thursday. I like the way they are showing a very distinct C2 shape to the fender arches over the wheels. This is very evident on the back fenders of the pre-prods, even under the camo wrap. And Chevrolet have been saying in the tease material that the design of the car will evoke the heritage of the Corvette lineage. As for the “big mouth” look for the front end, when I did my first illustrations to guess at the look of the car I imagined that style, thinking it would be logical that the C7 ZR1 would be an influence on the new design. But that’s apparently not the case, and I’m glad, as what seems to be there is fresh, but still says Corvette. And once I saw the pics of the C8R prototype, I knew this would likely be the shape of the production front end openings. The C7R front end is close to the production base C7, and I think the C8 will probably do the same. I don’t see the base car having any kind of “extractor” hood opening, but it’s a safe bet that future higher performance models could have this as part of the active aero system.

I think one of the real surprises that will be coming in the reveal is just how advanced this car will be. While the base structure will prove to be rather ordinary in execution to keep production costs down and value high, all the technology systems will be leading edge. This car will not be a halo product just for Chevrolet, but for all of General Motors.

Anyway, here’s what I have come up with. As I said, I think the Auto Bild renders have the front fender shapes more accurately predicted. But we’ll all know by Friday morning ...

Old 07-17-2019, 12:29 AM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Received 495 Likes on 260 Posts
Default C2 in the C8 renders? Good grief!

Originally Posted by Futurevision
I think the Auto Bild renders are going to prove to be accurate, at least for the “base” model—which is about all we can really expect to see on Thursday. I like the way they are showing a very distinct C2 shape to the fender arches over the wheels. This is very evident on the back fenders of the pre-prods, even under the camo wrap.

Now we've gone down the rabbit hole... there's as much of the C2 in the C8 renders as there is Doble Steamer in the C8 renders. And exactly what "fender arches" are you seeing? I seen none.

The following users liked this post:
Jody19SebringGS (07-17-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 12:45 AM
Futurevision
Cruising

Now we've gone down the rabbit hole... there's as much of the C2 in the C8 renders as there is Doble Steamer in the C8 renders. And exactly what "fender arches" are you seeing? I seen none.

As I said, I'm not showing that in my illustration. Look at the You Tube video fro Auto Bild posted back on the first page in the thread. It shows other renders with that look. What I'm referring to is the way the fender "pods" grow out of the body over the wheels on the C2. Here's a photo (credit

):

Last edited by Futurevision; 07-17-2019 at 12:49 AM. Reason: Add photo
Old 07-17-2019, 12:53 AM
IronV
Burning Brakes

I stand corrected! You're right; the Auto Bild renders appear to show actual fender arches. Or at least suggestions of fender arches way beyond most of the renders we've seen. That's cool. Unfortunately, the Bild renders still include the grotesque rear end we've come to know and expect.
The following 2 users liked this post by IronV:
Jody19SebringGS (07-17-2019), mattkilla2015 (07-17-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 01:25 AM
Futurevision
Cruising

I stand corrected! You're right; the Auto Bild renders appear to show actual fender arches. Or at least suggestions of fender arches way beyond most of the renders we've seen. That's cool. Unfortunately, the Bild renders still include the grotesque rear end we've come to know and expect.
Don't get me started about the back end styling ...

I really think Auto Bild has it! It's been difficult to tell. Even after GM started running actual pre-prods in testing, they have still stuck padding under the camo to throw everyone off. This particular photo of the cars being loaded up after testing around the 'ring in Germany has just the right lighting angle, and it does seem to support their render (I've highlighted the pod-like fender shapes):

The following 2 users liked this post by Futurevision:
IronV (07-17-2019), RapidC84B (07-17-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 10:20 AM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by black_valentine
The center area, referred to in an above post as "single snaggle-tooth", is similar in design concept to the same area on the new F8 Tributo. I really like the way the hood design seems to flow down and terminate in that central area in the render.

I think the Corvette looks much better than this Ferrari. The Ferrari has too much dead space between the headlights, and its headlights are not nearly so attractive.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:24 AM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

As I said, I'm not showing that in my illustration. Look at the You Tube video fro Auto Bild posted back on the first page in the thread. It shows other renders with that look. What I'm referring to is the way the fender "pods" grow out of the body over the wheels on the C2. Here's a photo (credit

):
Beautiful, stunning. I hope the C8 looks exactly like this.
Futurevision (07-17-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 10:59 AM
General_TSO
Instructor

Received 142 Likes on 50 Posts

100 % not the real thing - I assure you. It's just a version of a well done render. Likely Chazcron's.

Below I edited it a bit to specify what I'm talking about.

In #1 - there is a notch in the line across the outside grills. The notch is closer to the outside of the car. It just gives it a little detail rather than being a simple bland line across a grill.
#2 - This point that they show the bumper coming to, is not integrated into the bumper. It's kind of there, but it's separate from the bumper and more so made from the grille below it. Also, everything below the point thats in front of the Vette logo.. is black. The lower central part of the bumper, that is.
#3 - the arm that the mirror is on comes out and wraps around the outside of the mirror. It doesn't just stop at the end, and on the bottom.

So the actual car is still yet to be seen in full without camo. You'll all love it.
Old 07-17-2019, 11:04 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,168 Likes on 5,991 Posts

Originally Posted by General_TSO
100 % not the real thing - I assure you. It's just a version of a well done render. Likely Chazcron's.

In #1 - there is a notch in the line across the outside grills. The notch is closer to the outside of the car. It just gives it a little detail rather than being a simple bland line across a grill.
#2 - This point that they show the bumper coming to, is not integrated into the bumper. It's kind of there, but it's separate from the bumper and more so made from the grille below it. Also, everything below the point thats in front of the Vette logo.. is black. The lower central part of the bumper, that is.
#3 - the arm that the mirror is on comes out and wraps around the outside of the mirror. It doesn't just stop at the end, and on the bottom.

So the actual car is still yet to be seen in full without camo. You'll all love it.
Is the center of the lower lip black or body color?

Old 07-17-2019, 11:07 AM
General_TSO
Instructor

Black.
Old 07-17-2019, 11:09 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,168 Likes on 5,991 Posts

Black.
Dangit

Like this?

Is there an option to make the lower center bumper body color?

EDIT - to clarify I'm not talking about the lower lip spoiler/splitter, but the lower center of the fascia.

Last edited by RapidC84B; 07-17-2019 at 11:10 AM.
Old 07-17-2019, 12:16 PM
Futurevision
Cruising

ITA. The overall feel of this image is in the ballpark, I think. But the details remain to be uncovered - for one more day ...

To your points:
#1 I'm not sure if the "strakes" that bisect the outlying openings turn out onto the fender, but they'd probably look better that way.
#2 Almost no one has shown this little detail in renderings, and it's clearly there in many of the surveillance photos. Even Chazcron has missed it ...
#3 This detail is there, but it barely shows in photos. I don't think it's real pronounced. And there is a horizontal line running along the mirror shell. The camo used has done it's job well. What's the old saying - "hiding in plain sight?"

Last edited by Futurevision; 07-17-2019 at 12:54 PM.
Old 07-17-2019, 12:48 PM
Futurevision
Cruising

I decided to do a quick re-work of the illustration I posted yesterday showing the pod-like fender shapes seen in the Auto Bild render. It's not really done well, but it's probably closer to right (I hope).

This has been a long journey. There has been so much speculation about this car it's been dizzying, with photochops and renders galore. Some have been good, some not so much; like the re-works of a C7 photo (it's mid-engine—why are the rear wheels right behind the door?!?). Or the Ferrari-esque look that Car and Driver ran on the cover a year ago. That one set me off so that I decided to start working on it myself. I've done a dozen different illustrations of this car over the past months, updating the look as more of the details have been revealed. Now, finally, we shall see who was right ...

Old 07-17-2019, 12:55 PM
General_TSO
Instructor

ITA. The overall feel of this image is in the ballpark, I think. But the details remain to be uncovered - for one more day ...

To your points:
#1 I'm not sure if the "strakes" that bisect the outlying openings turn out onto the fender, but they'd probably look better that way.
#2 Almost no one has shown this little detail in renderings, and it's clearly there in many of the surveillance photos. Even Chazcron has missed it ...
#3 This detail is there, but it barely shows in photos. The camo used has done it's job well. What's the old saying - "hiding in plain sight?"

Strake! I learned a new word today - thank you for that! They overlap a bit beyond the grill, but not much at all.
Once you leave the corner of the bumper to come in towards the center top, it gets pretty basic. It isn't nearly as busy as this 'leaked' photo is, and it's clean and simple.
It doesn't barely show in the photo I'm looking at. It's quite obvious. Mostly because the arm is a different color then the body of the mirror. So the arm comes underneath and wraps around the outside of the mirror and contrasts quite significantly. Almost like the render above my post, but even more so.

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
Dangit

Like this?

EDIT - to clarify I'm not talking about the lower lip spoiler/splitter, but the lower center of the fascia.
I'm nit privy to options, specially when it comes to exterior. But from what I've seen, the lower center of the fascia is black. Almost like so...

Last edited by General_TSO; 07-17-2019 at 12:58 PM.
RapidC84B (07-17-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 02:04 PM
Futurevision
Cruising

Strake! I learned a new word today - thank you for that! They overlap a bit beyond the grill, but not much at all.
Once you leave the corner of the bumper to come in towards the center top, it gets pretty basic. It isn't nearly as busy as this 'leaked' photo is, and it's clean and simple.
It doesn't barely show in the photo I'm looking at. It's quite obvious. Mostly because the arm is a different color then the body of the mirror. So the arm comes underneath and wraps around the outside of the mirror and contrasts quite significantly. Almost like the render above my post, but even more so.
Strake is a nautical and aircraft term. I don't know what to call 'em really ... But they are a great design detail, and add to the "arrow-point" look of the front face.
Apparently, from the photos of the pre-prods being loaded up in Germany, the mirrors also fold inward on the stalks. If you are talking about the illustration of the car in yellow, that's mine. I'm also showing the center section of the bumper cover blacked-out as you have described earlier. I showed it in body color in previous illustrations, but after seeing the C8R, I realized that it followed in concept the look of the production car (duh...)

Get notified of new replies

To Who made this render?

Old 07-17-2019, 02:13 PM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Default Strakes, lines, design coherence

Strake is a nautical and aircraft term. I don't know what to call 'em really ... But they are a great design detail, and add to the "arrow-point" look of the front face...
I believe one of the big problems with many of the renders is that they have way, WAY too much detail in search of real shape. The result is a cluttered, blocky look. I'm hoping for a MUCH cleaner, shapelier reality.

The last thing these renders need is more lines to nowhere.
Old 07-17-2019, 02:30 PM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by quick04Z06
I think the Corvette looks much better than this Ferrari. The Ferrari has too much dead space between the headlights, and its headlights are not nearly so attractive.
Enjoy your bad taste. I know where a Pontiac Aztek is for sale if interested.

Corvette is fine and dandy, but Ferrari is better.
Old 07-17-2019, 03:12 PM
Futurevision
Cruising

I believe one of the big problems with many of the renders is that they have way, WAY too much detail in search of real shape. The result is a cluttered, blocky look. I'm hoping for a MUCH cleaner, shapelier reality.
The last thing these renders need is more lines to nowhere.
Right? Chevrolet design has, IMHO, been overworked of late, with so much surface detail as to become distracting. The C7, and now the C8 are very much "edge" designs, and I never really loved the C7. But I'm thinking the C8, while busy, will be more successful. We shall see tomorrow when the camo comes off ...

Quick Reply: Who made this render?