Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wing

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 05:29 AM
Gixxerman

Received 3,778 Likes on 2,148 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified
St. Jude Donor '18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Default Wing

I have had this on my mind as of late. With mid engine design theoretically helping traction in higher HP models to come... why even have a wing. It would seem to me a successful mid engine design would not not even have a wing. Many that do, have a retractable unit that comes up when needed. I feel if the design is good aerodynamically speaking, base model should not even need a wing on it at all. I know in certain environments a wing can really help, but on a mid engine design with less than 500hp? Just a thought about the boy racer wing on it. I was expecting more of a McLaren type wing that is electronically activated on need...on a next gen type design.
The following users liked this post:
Red Rochester (08-10-2019)
Old 08-09-2019, 05:51 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by Gixxerman
I have had this on my mind as of late. With mid engine design theoretically helping traction in higher HP models to come... why even have a wing.
Because with the wing, the car will have even more traction at higher speeds. This may not be useful to the average owner, but those who track their cars may appreciate it.

Perhaps even more importantly, since the C8 is marketed as a performance car, it will help the independent testers get better track times. I'm convinced that these magazine etc. outcomes heavily influence buying decisions, even if an owner will never make use of the car's full capabilities. That's just how "car enthusiasts" tend to be.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 08-09-2019 at 05:52 AM.
Gixxerman (08-09-2019)
Old 08-09-2019, 06:21 AM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,417 Likes on 2,535 Posts

Successful mid-engine design wouldn't have a wing.

Last edited by C8Jake; 08-09-2019 at 06:40 AM.
jake_zx2 (08-09-2019)
Old 08-09-2019, 06:31 AM
Gixxerman

Received 3,778 Likes on 2,148 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified
St. Jude Donor '18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Looks a little better with no wing to me in that pic.. maybe if they ditched golf club holder, they could have had the mechanism for an electronic retractable active wing back there.

Last edited by Gixxerman; 08-09-2019 at 06:32 AM.
Melody88 (08-09-2019)
Old 08-09-2019, 06:45 AM
K-TownMike
Melting Slicks

Received 732 Likes on 312 Posts

Looks a little better with no wing to me in that pic.. maybe if they ditched golf club holder, they could have had the mechanism for an electronic retractable active wing back there.
One thing I would be very interested in hearing from the engineers and design team is what kind of compromises they made for things like that. If they didn't have to worry about a two golf bag policy, what would the rear look like? Maybe we will find out with the Z06.
Gixxerman (08-09-2019)
Old 08-09-2019, 07:04 AM
PurpleLion
Burning Brakes

Received 857 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by K-TownMike
One thing I would be very interested in hearing from the engineers and design team is what kind of compromises they made for things like that. If they didn't have to worry about a two golf bag policy, what would the rear look like? Maybe we will find out with the Z06.
I believe that GM made very wise design choices. The base model and the Z51 will have excellent luggage capacity for a mid engine sports car. The Z06 may lose some or all of the frunk due to the hood vents and the Zora will lose the frunk to the electric motors and, possibly, some of the trunk to the active aero.

Last edited by PurpleLion; 08-09-2019 at 07:05 AM.
Gixxerman (08-09-2019)
Old 08-09-2019, 07:08 AM
L8ter
Melting Slicks

Received 929 Likes on 522 Posts

I was expecting more of a McLaren type wing that is electronically activated on need...on a next gen type design.
And how much are you willing to pay for this active wing, but I’m guessing you mean spoiler?

Last edited by L8ter; 08-09-2019 at 07:15 AM.
Old 08-09-2019, 07:12 AM
Vette_Pilot
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts

I think it looks better with the wing!!!!
The following 5 users liked this post by Vette_Pilot:
andyhung424 (08-09-2019), GeauxTigers1 (08-09-2019), Halewafa (08-09-2019), Mark045 (08-09-2019), WeaponofChoice (08-09-2019)
Old 08-09-2019, 07:17 AM
JDSKY
Melting Slicks

Received 1,240 Likes on 618 Posts

Except it's not just golf bag storage space back there. Delete that from the design and no more storage for the removable top. An active wing is cool tech but it also adds complexity and cost that most just don't need. Want a wing back there? Order one. If not and you won't use it anyway don't order the car with one.

In this case I think GM made the right choice to keep it simple.
Old 08-09-2019, 11:00 AM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,554 Likes on 2,625 Posts

Originally Posted by JDSKY
Except it's not just golf bag storage space back there. Delete that from the design and no more storage for the removable top. An active wing is cool tech but it also adds complexity and cost that most just don't need. Want a wing back there? Order one. If not and you won't use it anyway don't order the car with one.

In this case I think GM made the right choice to keep it simple.
The C6 Z06 and ZR1 had a fixed roof so no need to store it in the trunk.
Active aero will probably come on the higher performance versions with the higher cost, not viable on the low price volume leader.

OP, if you want no wing or spoiler, order up the base model and skip the Z51 package with spoiler or optional wing.

At the McLaren price point, they can offer models that have the features you are looking for, they even built a 8" longer GT (a variation on the higher HP 720S) to carry golf clubs. and they built a long tail McLaren F1 LM back in the '90's for better stability above 180 MPH.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:03 PM
BahamaTodd
Racer

Received 444 Likes on 155 Posts

I have had this on my mind as of late. With mid engine design theoretically helping traction in higher HP models to come... why even have a wing. It would seem to me a successful mid engine design would not not even have a wing. Many that do, have a retractable unit that comes up when needed. I feel if the design is good aerodynamically speaking, base model should not even need a wing on it at all. I know in certain environments a wing can really help, but on a mid engine design with less than 500hp? Just a thought about the boy racer wing on it. I was expecting more of a McLaren type wing that is electronically activated on need...on a next gen type design.
What a time to be alive where 500hp isn't considered to be enough to warrant improved aerodynamics.

These cars are capable of close to 200mph. Increased downforce is always welcome at higher speeds.

At this price point you're not going to see active aero. So its also a balance of providing some downforce while also minimizing drag which hurts fuel efficiency.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:50 PM
MrSchn3ll
Instructor

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by BahamaTodd
What a time to be alive where 500hp isn't considered to be enough to warrant improved aerodynamics.

These cars are capable of close to 200mph. Increased downforce is always welcome at higher speeds.

At this price point you're not going to see active aero. So its also a balance of providing some downforce while also minimizing drag which hurts fuel efficiency.

This, GT3 has always had a large fixed wing and it's the same hp as the C8 base model - and yet no one complained, I would even go so far as to call that a "successful" mid-engine car. Porsche even has the audacity to charge you more to remove the wing (GT3 Touring and 911R), and they don't offer active aero on the GT3 (non-Touring) or big brother GT3RS.

I think we should all be thankful that we have three options for rear wing aero on this car (and this is just the first of many models).

Get notified of new replies

To Wing

Quick Reply: Wing